Yuhang District

This page was last edited on 17 November 2017, at 20:30.

Yuhang District (t 餘杭, s 余杭, p Yúháng Qū) is a suburban district of Hangzhou, Zhejiang, in the People's Republic of China. Its 2013 population was estimated at 1.17 million. Its inhabitants speak both Mandarin and a variety of Hangzhounese, a Wu dialect.

The district contains the remains of Neolithic settlements from the Liangzhu period.

Prior to the expansion of modern Hangzhou, Yuhang formed a separate city. It is the earliest settlement recorded in the area of present-day Hangzhou. Chinese scholars traditionally interpreted its name as a mistake for "Yu's Ferry" (, Yǔháng), after the legendary account of Yu the Great's gathering of his lords at Mount Kuaiji around 2000 BC. This is now thought to be a folk etymology and Yuhang (Old Chinese: *La-gang) is almost certainly an ancient transliteration of an old Baiyue name.[1]

Yuhang was part of Kuaiji Commandery prior to the growth of Hangzhou following the 7th-century construction of the Sui's Grand Canal. It was then administered from Hangzhou.

Yuhang is the largest district of Hangzhou.The administration center of Yuhang District is Linping, which is a subcenter of Hangzhou located in the northeast side of downtown area. It connects with the downtown via Metro Line 1. The famous tourist attractions here include Liangzhu Culture Museum, Jingshan Tea and Buddhist Monastery, Tangxi Ancient Town, The Grand Canal, Chaoshan Scenic Area, Tianducheng Resorts and Xixi Wetland.

Tongji Bridge in Yuhang 08 2015-05.JPG
Old Yuhang
Zhejiang Hangzhou Yuhang - Tangjia Bridge IMG 8699 Yingbin Road S-09.jpg
New Yuhang

References

  1. ^ Zhongguo lishi diming dacidian 中國歷史地名大詞典, (Shanghai: Shanghai cishu chubanshe): 1516.

External links

Coordinates: 30°09′N 119°40′E / 30.150°N 119.667°E

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.