The University of Peshawar (Urdu: جامعۂ پشاور; Pashto: د پېښور پوهنتون; abbreviated UoP; known more popularly as Peshawar University), is a public research university located in Peshawar, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. The university is one of the oldest universities in Pakistan, and is ranked as one of the highest rated universities in the country.
The university was founded in 1950 and offers programs for undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies. With approximately 14,000 enrolled students attending the university, it has six academic faculties with forty postgraduate department as well as two centers of excellence The university is known for its quality research in social, medical, and natural sciences having eight research centers located inside the campus. Spread over an area of 1,045 acres (4 km2) as a residential campus, the university is the first public university to be established in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
|University of Peshawar|
|Motto||رَبِّ زدْنيِ عِلْماً|
Motto in English
|O' God, Increase my Knowledge|
|Chancellor||Iqbal Zafar Jhagra - Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Muhammad Asif Khan|
|Location||Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan|
In its inaugural year it had an enrollment of 129, of whom one was a female. The university was founded as an expansion of the Islamia College. The founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, who had visited the college in 1928 had great admiration for it, referring to it as ‘my college’ and adopted it as one of the three heirs to his fortune, along with Aligarh University and Sindh Madrassa (his own school) in 1939. For Jinnah the university was a gift to students of the province, in recognition of the part played by them in the making of Pakistan, and how it was the Pashtuns who had fought the Indians and captured Azad Kashmir.
The post-graduate department of Electronics was established in 1988. Housed in new Academic Block2, the department is equipped with modern electronics laboratories, well stocked library and enlightened faculty.The faculty names are as below: 1-Mr. Falak Naz, Hod of the department. 2-Mr. Adeel Ahmad, Senior faculty member 3-Mr. Sadiq Akbar, 4-Mr. Saeed Shah, 5-Mr. Muhammad Kamran, 6-Mr. Anwar Khan 7-Dr. Sanaul Haq, 8-Dr. Muhammad Asif 9-Dr. Muhammad Imtiaz, 10-Dr. Nadir Ali Khan, 11-Mr. Waseemuddin, 12-Mr. Muhammad Zubair, 13-Mr. Noor Gul 14-Mr. Omer Farooq
The department was established in 1983 as a Computer Study Centre to provide training in computer languages. In 1985, the centre was upgraded to the Department of Computer Science and started graduate classes the same year. The BCS programme was introduced in 1998 as an evening shift course. Today the department offers the BCS programme in the morning as well as in the evening, which is run under a self finance scheme. The department is situated on the first floor of the north wing of the Old Arts Block adjacent to STC.
The department was established in 1964. Dr. Shahabuddin Muhammad Moghni laid the foundations of the department as its first Professor and Chairman. Initially it offered a Masters programme of two years duration. Ph.D. and M.Phil programmes were offered in 1973 and 1978 respectively. Bi-monthly seminars and annual conferences are other activities of the department.
The department offers study in Social Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Psychological Testing, Counseling, Developmental Psychology, and Experimental Psychology. The department has a library and a laboratory, a computer section, and a Mass Communication laboratory. A 4-year Integrated BS Programme was started in 2009 and Diploma Courses in Clinical Psychology, CBT, and Industrial and Organizational Psychology are planned for 2010-11.
The department was established in 1982, housed at the Centre of Excellence in Physical Chemistry. After a period of two years it was shifted to the newly constructed building of the present location. The department has been recognized by the Pharmacy Council of Pakistan. Research groups conduct research in the field of Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical analysis and Pharmacognosy.
An animal house with bioassay laboratory meets the research and academic needs of the university. Research in the Pharmacology section of the department is focused on testing compounds from both synthetic and natural origin for their utility in pain, inflammation, pyrexia, depression, anxiety, dependence, tolerance and vomiting as well as toxicological testing.
KCD was founded in 1964 as the dentistry department of Khyber Medical College Peshawar by Prof. Dr. Ahmad Iqbal who envisaged a facility to train Dental Surgeons for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province of Pakistan. Among the other founders were General Mohammad Akram, the then Principal of Khyber Medical College and Mr. Mohammad Ali, the then Vice Chancellor of the University of Peshawar.
Originally, the Dentistry Department was housed on the first floor of Pathology Department of Khyber Medical College. There was a Head of the Department, four teachers and 14 students. To obtain education in general medicine and general surgery, students traveled 15 kilometers for practical teaching and ward rounds to Lady Reading Hospital Peshawar.
The institution has grown into the largest oral health care faculty in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Today it occupies five blocks. The institution has more than 77 faculty members, 164 paramedical/administrative staff, and has 11 clinical and basic science departments, 227 undergraduate dental students, 50 resident house officers and 14 postgraduate students.
Khyber College of Dentistry was upgraded to the status of independent institution in 1990. From its inception till 2006 it was affiliated with the University of Peshawar. In 2007, Khyber Medical University came into being and since then Khyber College of Dentistry has been affiliated with it. The Pakistan Medical and Dental Council accorded permanent recognition of the BDS degrees in its session held in Dacca (Bangladesh), the capital of then East Pakistan in November, 1968.
The Jinnah College for Women, formally called University College for Women, was established in June 1964. The college provides education to the university employee’s children and young women of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa on merit. Opportunities are provided for participation in extra curricular activities such as debates, dramatic and literary competitions and so on. Educational trips and study tours are arranged.
Its two storied building consists of classrooms, lecture-theatres, laboratories, a library with two reading rooms, an office and a hall. The college has lawns, a botanical garden and a playground. The library has a collection of reference books, text books and books in specialized fields. The college hall, the Safia Hassan Hall, has a seating capacity of 300 students and is the venue for functions. The playground attached to the college is used for inter-class and inter college tournaments and college sports. Jinnah College is one of the most famous colleges for women in the KPK province.
The college was established in 1950 and elevated to a faculty in 1992. The Law College has been placed under the Faculty of Social Sciences.
The college has an academic link with the University of Oslo, Norway, and has signed an MOU with the IUCN Pakistan, under which it will have institutional co-operation with the latter in the area of Environmental Law.
The Human Rights Studies Centre is part of the college and was established in March 2000 under the Government of Pakistan Human Rights and Mass Awareness and Education Programme, jointly funded by the NORAD and the Swiss Development Corporation. Its objective is to develop a curriculum for human rights as a subject at the Master's level and to co-ordinate the activities/research regarding human rights at the national and provincial level. It also acts as a base for institutional co-operation between human rights agencies at national and international level. The following courses were offered during the project period of HRSC:
The college started an LLM program in 2008.
The Quaid-e-Azam College of Commerce was established in 1962. It was established out of funds bequeathed by the Father of the Nation, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. It is an institution of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, offering one year and two years Master of Commerce programmes also BS programmes. The college offers specialization in Finance, Accounting, Marketing and Management.
The study of Home Economics as a discipline was introduced in the country soon after the emergence of Pakistan. A department, devoted to the subject, was set up in 1954 by the University of Peshawar, in collaboration with Colorado State University, USA. The department was upgraded to college status in 1963. It is one of the four colleges in Pakistan devoted to the study of Home Economics. The institution covers fields such as interior design, textile design, small business management, teaching, and research.
The department was established in 1950, and elevated to the Institute of Education and Research (IER) a faculty of education in 1980. The university has been re-structured and IER is placed under the Faculty of Social Sciences.
The IER provides B.Ed and M.Ed training to prospective and in-service teachers of secondary and higher secondary schools. The training duration for both B.Ed and M.Ed is one year. The department has also M.Phil Leading to PhD, PhD and B.Ed Honer four-year Program. Enrollment:
The college has eight departments and thirteen faculty members, housed in a separate building. It has a library, science and computer laboratories, two seminar rooms, Conference Hall, and lecture halls, Research Journal.
The University of Peshawar merged the Department of Public and Business Administration into a single entity in 1994. Thus, the Institute of Management Studies (IMS) was established in 1995.
The institute offers executive degrees in the field of business.
The mission of the faculty is to produce professional graduates, Post graduates, M.Phil and Ph.D. Research scholar. The faculty is determining hard to have qualified, competent and professional teachers and researchers and social change development and harmony in society.
A Department or an institution to impart knowledge on the Land and People of Central Asia was one of the aims of the University of Peshawar but lack of funds marred its realization for some time. The Education Policy of 1972 made provision for the "Area Study Centre" and the University of Peshawar gave its choice for Central Asia. An Area Study thereafter was established in each University of Pakistan under ACT XVL 1975 of Parliament. The Government of Pakistan, through the University Grants Commission and the Ministry of Education, released funds for the establishment of the Centre at the University of Peshawar. A Sum of Rs. 28, 15,000/- was remitted to the University of Peshawar out of which it established a double storied building on the Campus of the University, housing both the Area Study Centre and Pakistan Study Centre. The Building is situated on road No. 1 of the University at the back of Law College.
The Centre has been functioning since April 1978 as a unit academically attached to the University of Peshawar and financially linked to The University Grants Commission. A Board or Governors and Academics Committee, both statutory bodies under the Act, control its administrative and academic performances. The Centre, with grant from the University Grants Commission is gradually equipping itself in teaching and research facilities and is assuming a shape befitting it. It has been publishing a six-monthly Journal (Central Asia) since winter 1978 and enrolls 10 to 15 students each year in its M.Phil and Pd.D courses.
To explore new horizon in Biotechnology and Microbiology through education and research, and realizing the potential of Biotechnology and Microbiology for the creation of goods and services of value to society.
The Centre has been serving as a teaching, training and research pivot in Biotechnology and Microbiology for the province. The institute is aware of the importance and applicability of Biotechnology and Microbiology and therefore will continue to play its catalytic role by motivating its students in their scholarly pursuits. We will prepare trained biotechnologists and microbiologists able to approach problems with creativity and flexibility. A key element in this preparation is active participation in the process of scientific discovery. The institute will make scholarly scientific and technological advances that will address the changing needs of society.
To upgrade the Standard of Education in Pakistan.
Preparation of quality teachers in the light of the demands of 21st century.
The National Center of Excellence in Geology (NCEG), University of Peshawar (UoP), is an institution of higher learning and research in Geo-sciences. It was established in 1974 under an act of the parliament. Dr. R.A. Khan Tahirkheli was the founder Director of the Center. Upon his retirement, Dr. M. Qasim Jan succeeded him in 1988 who was succeeded by Prof. Dr. Syed Hamidullah in January 2001, Dr. M. Asif Khan in 2002 and again by Dr. Syed Hamidullah in 2003. After, the death of S. Hamidullah, in an air crash, now Dr. M. Asif Khan is the Director of the Center.
The National Center of Excellence in Physical Chemistry was established in July 1978 under an Act of parliament as an autonomous body to be administered by Federal Ministry of Education through University Grants Commission (now Higher Education Commission)
The management of the centre is supervised by a Board of Governors composed of eminent Scientists and representatives of Chairman.
The Centre is entrusted with the main task of establishing research facilities in Physical Chemistry leading to M.Phil and Ph.D degrees. A significant number of M.Phil and Ph.D's have qualified from this institution.
The total number of Ph.D produced until year 2010 are 67 while 154 M.Phil scholars have passed out. 597 research papers have been published in journals of both national and international repute since inception.
At the moment 47 Ph.D and 79 M.Phil students are enrolled. Other regular activities of the Centre include in-Service training programmes, symposia, seminars refresher courses for college teachers and so on. Collaboration in research and academic activities with a number of organizations has been developed, e.g. Nuclear Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA), Institute of Chemistry (University of Peshawar), PINSTECH, Islamabad, Agriculture University (Peshawar), Engineering University ( Peshawar), Islamia College University ( Peshawar ), PCSIR Laboratories ( Peshawar) etc.
Pakistan Study Centre, University of Peshawar was established under the Federal Act No.XXVII of 1976 like similar study centres in the other universities of Pakistan. The Centre started functioning in February 1979. The first three years 1976-78 were spent on providing a building to the Centre. As envisaged in the Act academically it is part and parcel of the University of Peshawar, controlled and supervised by a Board of Governors, with the Vice-Chancellor as its Chairman. However, its funds both developmental and recurring are provided by the Federal Government, through the Higher Education Commission which exercises control over its finances. The day-to-day administration of the Centre is the direct responsibility of the Director.
The Pashto language Academy was set up in 1955 with Maulana Abdul Qadir, a well-known scholar of Pashto Language, as its Director.The Academy has done tremendous service towards promotion of the Pashto Language and literature. It is not merely a publication body, it is an institute of research as well as the learned body for the development of Pashto Language and literature.
The study of the Pashtoon Culture, history, art and literature, both classic and modern, is also a major function of this Academy. Before the establishment of the Academy, there were no worthwhile standard literary works and the language was almost unfamiliar to modern world.
During the course of time, the Academy has produced about 537 publications consisting of classics, modern literature, criticism; scientific studies, translation, Pashto lexicon, research publications, booklets in basic Pashto and the Pashto Journal. The Academy has a specialized research library consisting of printed books, rare books, rare manuscripts, microfilms, audiovisual cassettes, tapes and photographs of scholars and poets. A Research Cell for broad-based work on the life and works of the warrior poet Khushal Khan Khattak has recently also been set up by the Government of Pakistan in the Pashto Academy.
After the death of Maulana Abdul Qadir, the scholars who headed the Academy included Mian Syed Rasool Rasa, Azim Shah Khyal Bokhari and Prof. Mohammad Nawaz Tair who made immense contribution towards the promotion of the Pashto language and literature. Prof. Dr. Raj Wali Shah Khattak who has given new life to the Academy by his hard-work day and night and Prof. Dr. Salma Shaheen, who is currently the Director of the Academy.
The Shaykh Zayed Islamic Center, University of Peshawar is one of the three educational Centers financed by his Excellency Shayh Zayed Ibne Sultan Al-Nahyan, Emir of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The other two Centers are located at Karachi and Lahore on the Campuses of the respective universities.The entire cost of the project was borne by the Government of U.A.E while the land was donated by the University of Peshawar.The Emir of U.A.E has established a trust for the developmental expenditures of the Center, while recurring cost is borne by the Federal Government of Pakistan.
The Islamic Center of the University of Peshawar is an institute which has been designed to provide facilities for an Auditorium, a Language Laboratory, a Computer Laboratory and a well-stocked Library for research work in Islamic Studies and Arabic.
The campus is situated about 10 kilometres north west from the city centre on the main Grand Trunk Road leading towards Torkham, the historical border town. It is located on 1,050 acres (4 km2) of land, 1,199 ft (365 m). above sea level.
The university is the “mother” University of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, founded in Oct. 1950. It has expanded over the last fifty years and a number of buildings have been added. The total built up area of the campus is more than 1,500,000 sq ft (140,000 m2). However, its original lawns and green tracts have been retained.
National organizations in the vicinity include the Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, North Regional Laboratories; Academy for Rural Development; the Pakistan Forest Research Institute and College; the University of Engineering and Technology; the Agricultural University; Institute of Nuclear Medicine; and Khyber Teaching Hospital.
It is a residential university with a population of about 35000.
The university has a campus of 1,050 acres (4 km2).
Besides the regular university personnel, campus peace corps patrol the grounds.
The university has ten hostels, six for males with a capacity of 1949 and four for females with the capacity of 951. Beside these hostels, three new hostels have been constructed, two for boys and one for girls with a capacity of 300 each. These hostels are situated at walking distance from the teaching departments. Females’ hostels are located in the vicinity of Jinnah College for Women and the College of Home Economics.
Campus II of the University of Peshawar occupies 60 acres (240,000 m2) of land at Bara Gali on the Abbottabad Nathia Gali - Murree Road. This campus is 25 kilometers from Abbottabad at an altitude of 7,700 ft (2,350 m) above sea level.
Bara Gali, one of the most beautiful valley resorts with dense forests, tall mountains and a pleasant climate, has been the summer campus of the University of Peshawar since 1965. It is the nucleus of the university's academic and research activities from May to September. Each summer more than 1000 people participate in national and international seminars, conferences, symposia, workshops, and training courses at this campus. Thousands of students from teaching departments/schools/colleges/centres visit Bara Gali, both in summer and winter, for academic and research purposes.
All of the students' co-curricular activities - a shooting club, hiking society, adventure club, medical camps, cross-country/road running, sports mela, and many others - take place at the Bara Gali Campus. Independence Day is celebrated each year with traditional pomp and show. The campus is illuminated at night.