San Carlos Airport (IATA: SQL, ICAO: KSQL, FAA LID: SQL) is two miles northeast of San Carlos, California, in San Mateo County, California. The FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS) classifies San Carlos as a reliever airport for San Francisco International Airport.
|San Carlos Airport|
|Owner||San Mateo County|
|Serves||San Carlos, California|
|Elevation AMSL||5 ft / 2 m|
The San Carlos Flying Field was established during World War I by J. Paulding Edwards on a five-acre field north of Cordilleras Creek. A 300 foot long hangar was situated along Terminal Way near Old County Road. San Carlos' first pilot's certificate was issued on July 10, 1917 to Lieutenant Prince.
In 1923, the airfield was taken over by the Cooley family. Charles P. Cooley was the primary flight instructor in San Carlos at the time. The airport itself was legally operated by Cooley's father, Frank S. Cooley. On July 12, 1940, a fire destroyed the main hangar and twelve aircraft. Operations were maintained on an airstrip bounded by today's Brittan Ave., Washington St., Old County Rd., and Industrial Rd.
Sometime before 1950 the Cooley family established a different airfield near the foot of today's Twin Dolphin Drive in San Carlos. By March 1950 that airfield had a 200 ft by 2100 ft runway and a building for various industries. However, the Cooley family soon regarded the airport as being inadequate due to its proximity to the Phelpes Slough and Steinberger Slough and poor ground conditions for a suitable runway. They opened another airfield at the present location of the San Carlos airport. By March 1952, the ownership of the airfield was transferred to Mr. Francis Michaud, who renamed it San Carlos-Belmont Airport. Many repair and administrative buildings were added along with plans to expand the runway up to 7000 ft in length. In 1957, the airport was renamed as San Mateo Country Airport, Inc. Ownership was also split between Michaud, the Piombo Construction Company and six other parties.
A plan to lengthen the runway by 400 feet was quelled by neighbors in 1999. Aircraft with gross weight in excess of 12,500 lb (5,670 kg) are prohibited.
San Carlos Airport is home to over 30 aviation related businesses. Facilities and FBOs at KSQL include: Bay Aerial Helicopter Service, Fly Bay Area, JATO Aviation, Rabbit Aviation Services, Surf Air, Zanette Aviation Insurance, West Valley Flying Club, Diamond Aviation Charter, and the San Carlos Flight Center.
In 2007 the airport had 155,273 aircraft operations, average 425 per day: 98% general aviation, 2% air taxi and <1% military. 372 aircraft were then based at this airport: 86% single-engine, 11% multi-engine, <1% jet and 3% helicopter.
Given its proximity to the headquarters of the Oracle Corporation, a maker of database software, some have speculated that the airport code of SQL is a humorous reference to this large neighbor; in databases, SQL stands for Structured Query Language. In fact the airport was SQL years before June 16, 1977, the date of incorporation of Software Development Laboratories which became the Oracle corporation.
The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) has a local chapter at San Carlos Airport. EAA Chapter 20 has about 50 members as of 2010.
In 1999 a proposal was given to extend the runway into the marsh before runway 30. The proposal caused trouble in Redwood Shores and Foster City, where critics complained about noise. Despite promises by San Mateo County officials, opponents felt a longer runway would lead to bigger and noisier planes, in particular, more corporate aircraft.