Sam Hollander (S*A*M) is an American songwriter and record producer. He has written and/or produced hits for the likes of Fitz and the Tantrums, Train, Weezer,  One Direction, , Gym Class Heroes, Good Charlotte, Carole King, Daughtry, Neon Trees, Cobra Starship, Panic! at the Disco, 3OH!3, Coheed and Cambria, Boys Like Girls, All Time Low, Metro Station, We The Kings, Olly Murs, O.A.R., Uncle Kracker, Sugar Ray, Matisyahu, Blues Traveler, Tom Jones, Hot Chelle Rae, Karmin, Chiddy Bang, Kelly Rowland, and Arrested Development among others.
The son of famed interior decorator & collector Judith Hollander and José Limon Company dancer/Pratt Institute Professor Michael Hollander, Sam was born in New York, NY and attended Fox Lane High School.
He is a nephew of American poet John Hollander who died in 2013. In December 2013, Sam wrote an obituary dedicated to his uncle in the New York Times entitled My uncle, the poet and the pop star.
Sam Hollander has written and/or produced 21 US Top 40 Pop Hits as well as numerous worldwide smashes.
In 2008, he was named Rolling Stone Magazine’s Hot List Producer of the Year, alongside Dave "Sluggo" Katz
He served as a Governor of the New York Chapter of The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (The GRAMMYs) from 2011 to 2013.
He currently serves on the LA Advisory Board for Musicians On Call.
In 2012, he was the Music Producer for the NBC TV show Smash, for which he produced the Emmy-nominated song, "I Heard Your Voice In A Dream."
He is the co-founder of the Sony Masterworks holiday supergroup, Band of Merrymakers.
- Fitz and the Tantrums "HandClap" RIAA certified 2x Platinum / 2018 BMI Pop Award Winner, "Roll Up", "Run It", "Get Right Back" (Elektra) (writer)
- Aloe Blacc "King Is Born" (Interscope) (writer/producer)
- Panic! at the Disco "High Hopes", "Say Amen (Saturday Night)" (writer)
- Panic! at the Disco "Emperor's New Clothes" RIAA certified Platinum "Impossible Year", "Crazy=Genius", "Golden Days" (Atlantic) from the Grammy nominated RIAA certified Platinum album Death of a Bachelor (writer)
- James TW "When You Love Someone" (Island Records) BPI certified Gold (writer)
- Weezer "I Love The USA" (Crush/Atlantic) (writer)
- Pentatonix "Sing", "New Year's Day" (RCA) from the RIAA certified Gold album Pentatonix (writer)
- DNCE "Can You Feel It" (RCA) for the movie and soundtrack "My Little Pony: The Movie (writer)
- One Direction "Rock Me" (Columbia/SYCO) "IFPI certified Platinum" from the RIAA certified 2x Platinum album Take Me Home (writer)
- Carole King "Love Makes The World" (Koch) (writer/producer)
- Gym Class Heroes "Cupid's Chokehold" (Decaydance/Fueled By Ramen) RIAA certified 2x Platinum (producer)
- Gym Class Heroes "As Cruel as School Children" (Decaydance/Fueled By Ramen) RIAA certified Gold (writer/producer)
- Train "Save Me San Francisco" (Columbia) RIAA certified 2x Platinum / 2012 BMI Pop Award Winner (writer)
- Train "Marry Me" (Columbia) RIAA certified 2x Platinum/ 2012 BMI Pop Award Winner (writer)
- Train "This'll Be My Year" (Columbia) from the RIAA certified Gold album California 37 (writer)
- Katy Perry "If You Can Afford Me" (Capitol) from the RIAA certified Platinum album One Of The Boys (writer/producer)
- Metro Station "Shake It" (Columbia) RIAA certified 2X Platinum / ARIA certified 2x Platinum (producer)
- Metro Station "Seventeen Forever" (Columbia) RIAA certified Gold (producer)
- Metro Station 'Metro Station (Columbia) (writer/producer)
- Daughtry "Waiting for Superman" (RCA) RIAA certified Platinum (writer)
- Daughtry "Battleships", "Long Live Rock and Roll", "18 Years", "Wild Heart" (RCA) (writer)
- Boys Like Girls "The Great Escape" (Columbia) RIAA certified Platinum / 2007 BMI Pop Award winner (writer)
- Boys Like Girls "Love Drunk" (Columbia) RIAA certified Platinum (writer)
- Good Charlotte "Sex on the Radio" (Capitol) ARIA certified Platinum (writer)
- We The Kings "Check Yes Juliet" (S-Curve/EMI) RIAA certified Platinum / ARIA certified Platinum (writer/producer)
- We The Kings "Say You Like Me" (S-Curve/EMI) ARIA certified Gold (writer/producer)
- All Time Low "Lost in Stereo" (Interscope) from the RIAA certified Gold album Nothing Personal (writer/producer)
- All Time Low "Holly (Would You Turn Me On" (Interscope) from the RIAA certified Gold album So Wrong, It's Right (writer)
- Karmin "Acapella" (Epic) RIAA certified Gold / ARIA certified 3x Platinum (writer)
- Olly Murs "Beautiful To Me" (Epic) from the BPI certified 2x Platinum album Never Been Better (writer)
- Delta Goodrem "Encore" (Sony) from the ARIA certified Gold Wings of the Wild (writer)
- Chiddy Bang "Mind Your Manners" (Polydor) ARIA certified 2x Platinum (writer/producer)
- Chiddy Bang "Happening" (Polydor) ARIA certified Gold (writer/producer)
- Chiddy Bang "Ray Charles" (Polydor) (writer/producer)
- Neon Trees "Your Surrender", "I Am The DJ" (Island Records) (writer)
- Violent Femmes "Holy Ghost", "Foothills", "Issues" (writer)
- The Fray "Same As You" (Epic) (writer)
- Michael Franti & Spearhead "Wherever You Are", "I Don't Wanna Go" (Capitol) (writer)
- Rebelution "Santa Barbara" (Easy Star Records) from the Grammy nominated "Falling Into Place (writer)"
- Uncle Kracker "Hot Mess" (Atlantic) (writer/producer)
- Matisyahu "Happy Hannukah," "Champion" (writer)
- O.A.R. "Lay Down" (Lava) (writer)
- Matt Nathanson "Earthquake Weather" "Heart Starts" (Vanguard) (writer)
- Trombone Shorty "Dream On" (Verve) (writer/producer)
- Brett Dennen "Out Of My Head" (Atlantic) (writer)
- G. Love & Special Sauce "Saturday Night", "Peanut Butter Lips", "That Girl" (Brushfire) (writer)
- Barenaked Ladies "Lookin Up", "Canada Dry" (Vanguard) (writer)
- Sugar Ray "Girls Were Made To Love" (Pulse) (writer/producer)
- Blues Traveler "Suzie Cracks the Whip" (429) (producer)
- Tom Jones "I'm Alive" (S-Curve/EMI) from the BPI certified Gold album 24 Hours (producer)
- Joe Cocker "The Last Road" (Columbia) (writer)
- Lindsey Stirling "Eclipse" (Decca Records) (writer)
- Allen Stone "Symmetrical" (Capitol Records) (writer)
- Kelly Rowland "Daylight" (Columbia) (producer)
- Hot Chelle Rae "Honestly" (RCA) (writer/producer)
- Cobra Starship "Bring It (Snakes on a Plane)" (Decaydance/New Line) for the movie and soundtrack "Snakes on a Plane (writer/producer)
- Cobra Starship "While The City Sleeps, We Rule The Streets" (Decaydance/Fueled By Ramen) (writer/producer)
- Coheed and Cambria "The Running Free" "The Road And The Damned" (Columbia) (writer)
- Owl City "Speed of Love" (Universal Republic) (writer)
- Hollywood Undead "Hear Me Now"/"My Town" (Octone) (writer/producer)
- 3OH!3 "Hit It Again" (Atlantic)/(Photo Finish Records) (writer/producer)
- New Politics "Girl Crush", "15 Dreams", "Lovers in a Song", "Aristocrat" (Warner Bros. Records) (writer)
- Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness "Canyon Moon" (writer)
- Transviolet "The Hamptons" (Epic) (writer/producer)
- BANNERS "Someone To You" (Island) (writer)
- The Virgins "The Virgins" (Atlantic) (producer)
- The Mowgli's "Emily" Photo Finish Records/Island Records (writer)
- Bowling For Soup "Only Young" (Jive Records) (writer)
- Alex & Sierra "Scarecrow", "Just Kids", "Broken Frame", "Almost Home" (Columbia Records) (writer)
- The Academy Is... "Fast Times at Barrington High" (Fueled By Ramen) (writer/producer)
- Cartel "Perfect Mistake" (Wind-Up) (writer)
- Hey Monday "Hold On Tight" (Decaydance/Columbia) (writer/producer)
- Tyga "Coconut Juice" (Decaydance) (writer/producer)
- Arrested Development "Since The Last Time" (Edel/Pony Canyon) (writer/producer)
- Big Time Rush "Til' I Forget About You" "Big Night" (Columbia) from the RIAA certified Gold album BTR (writer/producer)
- Emblem 3 "Just For One Day", "I Love LA" (Columbia) (writer)
- Descendants "Set It Off" (Hollywood) RIAA certified Gold (writer/producer)
- Glee Cast "Candles" (Columbia) for the show Glee (writer)
- Static Revenger "Happy People" (Ministry of Sound) (writer)
- Cooler Kids "All Around The World" (DreamWorks) The Lizzie McGuire Movie RIAA certified Platinum (writer/producer)
- Toothpick "Supersize Me" for the Academy Award nominated documentary Supersize Me (writer/producer)
- Blake Lewis "Heartbreak on Vinyl", How Many Words" (RCA/Tommy Boy) (writer/producer)
- ^ http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainment/music/back-on-track-train-back-on-the-hit-express-after/article_10e8ee8f-e3fe-5681-9da8-1a0fa78e10e6.html
- ^ http://entertainment.time.com/2012/11/13/one-directions-songwriters-theyre-what-make-the-boy-band-beautiful/
- ^ http://www.thesongsurvives.com/2012/05/carole-king-on-process/
- ^ http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/chris-daughtry-baptized-123.htm
- ^ Monster Island Recording notes & photo with Coheed And Cambria: "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-31. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- ^ MyPlay SonyBMG Metro Station article: http://myplay.com/artists/metro-station/bio
- ^ Singer Tom Jones: http://www.sugarcainentertainment.com/?p=929
- ^ Bumps on the Humps, Tom Jones: "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/1067433/track-review-chiddy-bang-ray-charles
- ^ https://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/18/garden/18BERG.html?_r=2&
- ^ http://www.worldcat.org/title/interview-with-michael-hollander-and-james-payton/oclc/079470139
- ^ http://www.townvibe.com/Bedford/March-April-2011/Homegrown/
- ^ New York Times, 21 December 2012
- ^ https://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24604682/page/8
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.