Last updated on 17 September 2017
Pao is a genus of mostly freshwater pufferfish with one species (P. leiurus) also occurring in brackish water. They are found in Southeast Asia. Until 2013, its species were generally placed in Tetraodon.
There are currently 15 recognized species in this genus:
- Pao abei (T. R. Roberts, 1998)
- Pao baileyi (Sontirat, 1989) (Hairy puffer)
- Pao barbatus (Roberts, 1998)
- Pao bergii (Popta, 1905)
- Pao brevirostris (Benl, 1957)
- Pao cambodgiensis (Chabanaud, 1923)
- Pao cochinchinensis (Steindachner, 1866)
- Pao fangi (Pellegrin & Chevey, 1940)
- Pao hilgendorfii (Popta, 1905)
- Pao leiurus (Bleeker, 1850)
- Pao ocellaris (Klausewitz, 1957)
- Pao palembangensis (Bleeker, 1852)
- Pao palustris (Saenjundaeng, Vidthayanon & Grudpun, 2013)
- Pao suvattii (Sontirat, 1989)
- Pao turgidus (Kottelat, 2000)
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.