Mary di Michele
This page was last edited on 6 April 2018, at 09:04.
Mary di Michele (born 6 Aug 1949) is an Italian-Canadian poet and author. She is a professor at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec where she teaches in creative writing.
Early life and education
di Michele was born in Lanciano, Italy. She immigrated to Toronto, Ontario with her family in 1955. She obtained an Honours B.A. in English Literature at the University of Toronto in 1972. Later, she completed an M.A. in English and creative writing at the University of Windsor in 1974.
di Michele published her first book of poetry, Tree of August, in 1978.  She traveled to Chile in 1987 as part of a literary cultural exchange. In 1990 she became a professor of English at Concordia University.
By 1995 di Michele had written six volumes of poetry. That year she published her first novel, Under My Skin. She continued to write and publish poetry, and in 2005 released a second novel, Tenor of Love.
In 2017 di Michele published a book of poetry, Bicycle Thieves.
In 2018 her works are held in more than 1400 libraries.
- Tree of August – 1978
- Bread and Chocolate – 1980
- Mimosa and Other Poems – 1981
- Necessary Sugar – 1984
- Anything is Possible: A Selection of Eleven Women Poets (editor) – 1984
- Immune to Gravity – 1986
- Under My Skin (novel) – 1994
- Luminous Emergencies – 1990
- Stranger in You: Selected Poems and New – 1995
- Debriefing the Rose – 1998
- Tenor of Love (novel) – 2005
- ^ Joseph Pivato. Mary Di Michele: Essays on Her Works. Guernica Editions; 2007. ISBN 978-1-55071-249-0. p. 206–.
- ^ "Mary di Michele: on the Integrity of Speech and Silence". by Nathalie Cooke, University of Western Ontario
- ^ Elaine Kalman Naves. Putting Down Roots: Montreal's Immigrant Writers. Véhicule Press; 1 January 1998. ISBN 978-1-55065-103-4. p. 41.
- ^ a b "Mary di Michele". The Canadian Encyclopedia
- ^ Susan L. Rosenstreich. Encounters with Quebec: Emerging Perspectives on Quebecois Narrative Fiction. Global Academic Publishing; 1998. ISBN 978-1-883058-58-6. p. 165–.
- ^ “Debriefing the Poet, An lnterview with Mary di Michele.” ARC 34 (Spring 1995): 25-31. May 1995
- ^ "Bicycle Thieves: An Interview with Mary di Michele". Prism Magazine, July 7, 2017. Nathaniel G. Moore
- ^ David Skene-Melvin. Investigating Women: Female Detectives by Canadian Writers: An Eclectic Sampler. Dundurn; 1 December 1995. ISBN 978-1-4597-2690-1. p. 34–.
- ^ "Reviews: Bicycle Thieves by Mary di Michele, Thing Is by Suzannah Showler". Quill and Quire, Jason Wiens
- ^ "Poetry Review". Montreal Review of Books, by Gillian Sze, Summer 2017 issue
- ^ "Mary de Michele", WorldCat.
- ^ "Book Reviews", Toronto Star - Toronto, Ont. Oughton, John. Aug 18, 1990 M.6
See also: List of Canadian writers, List of Canadian poets
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.