Last updated on 26 July 2017
Marvel Music is a subsidiary of Marvel Studios involved in the publishing of music related to its productions. The company is a successor to Mighty Marvel Music and Marvel Music Group—previous music publishing divisions that were operated under Marvel; these divisions were retained by New World Entertainment when it sold Marvel to Andrews Group in 1989.
In 1994, the name "Marvel Music" was briefly used for an unrelated comic book imprint for comics based on popular musicians. In 2005, the current Marvel Music was incorporated as a publisher of music from Marvel Studios productions, and re-launched publicly in 2009 to distribute its soundtracks. Its releases have since been issued by fellow Disney subsidiary Hollywood Records.
Marvel Music was incorporated on September 9, 2005 to manage Marvel Studios' and Marvel Animation's filmed music.
At New York Comic Con in 2009, Marvel officially announced the re-launch of Marvel Music, which would now serve as a label for releasing music related to Marvel's film and television productions. Beginning in 2012 with the release of Avengers Assemble (Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture), Disney Music Group's Hollywood Records label began distributing Marvel Music's albums. In 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 became the first Marvel Music album to be certified Gold—and subsequently certified Platinum—by the Recording Industry Association of America, as well as the first soundtrack album in history to top the Billboard 200 chart, while consisting entirely of previously released songs.
Key soundtrack and non-soundtrack releases
Mighty Marvel Music Corporation and Marvel Music Group, Inc. (both incorporated on July 29, 1981) were music publishing subsidiaries of Marvel Entertainment Group that were retained by New World Entertainment when Marvel was sold to Andrews Group in 1989. and were with New World when they were sold to Fox.
- ^ a b Kleinman, Maria (March 28, 2013). "Heroes Fall Album Of Music Inspired By Marvel's "Iron Man 3" Set For Release April 30" (Press release). Disney Music Group Publicity. PR Newswire. Retrieved December 30, 2013 – via American City Business Journals.
- ^ "Entity Search: Marvel Music, Inc. file number 4034835". Department of State: Division of Corporations. State of Delaware. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- ^ "Patrick Doyle Thor [B.O.F] , album, ecouter, CD, Music Story". Music Story. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- ^ Grossman, David (March 12, 2014). "Marvel Music's Strange, Brief, and Totally Doomed Rock-Comics Revolution". Spin Magazine. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- ^ a b Wood, Mikael (August 13, 2014). "'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack shoots to No. 1 on Billboard 200". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- ^ "Marvel Music And Hollywood Records' Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1 Soundtrack Is Certified Gold". PR Newsire. September 25, 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- ^ "Entity Search: Mighty Marvel Music Corporation file number 0919369". Department of State: Division of Corporations. State of Delaware. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- ^ "Entity Search: Marvel Music Group, Inc. file number 0919368". Department of State: Division of Corporations. State of Delaware. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- ^ "New World Entertainment Inc. Completes Sale of Marvel for $82.5 Million; Company Begins 1989 With Busy Schedule and Further Debt Reduction". PR Newswire. January 25, 1989. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- ^ "List of Principal Subsidiaries of the Company". Annual Report· Form 10-K · For 6/30/99. secinfo.com. p. 3. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
Content from Wikipedia