Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Last updated on 18 September 2017
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is a song written and sung by Bob Dylan, for the soundtrack of the 1973 film Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Released as a single, it reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Described by Dylan biographer Clinton Heylin as "an exercise in splendid simplicity,"  the song, measured simply in terms of the number of other artists who have covered it, is one of Dylan's most popular post-1960s compositions.
Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.
Eric Clapton version
In January 1975 Eric Clapton played on Jamaican singer Arthur Louis' recording of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" arranged in a reggae style. Subsequently, Clapton recorded his own reggae-style version of the song which was released in August 1975, two weeks after Louis's version was released as a single in July 1975. Clapton's single peaked at No. 38 in the UK Singles Chart. The single was less successful in the US, only reaching No. 109 in Cash Box. Clapton's 1996 boxed set Crossroads 2: Live in the Seventies features a performance recorded in London in April 1977. The song was also performed during the Journeyman and One More Car, One More Rider world tours in 1990 and 2003. Additionally, the song has been included on several Clapton compilation albums, such as Time Pieces: The Best of Eric Clapton, Backtrackin', The Cream of Clapton and Complete Clapton.
Guns N' Roses versions
In 1987, Guns N' Roses started including the song in their live sets. A live version of the song was released on the maxi-single of "Welcome to the Jungle" the same year. They recorded a studio version in 1990 for the soundtrack of the film Days of Thunder which reached No. 18 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart in 1990. This version was later slightly modified for the 1991 album Use Your Illusion II (basically discarding the responses in the second verse). Released as the fourth single from the album, it reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart as well as No. 12 in Australia and No. 1 in Ireland. Their performance of the song at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992 was used as the B-side for the single release and was also included on their Live Era: '87–'93 album, released in 1999. The music video for this version of the song was directed by Andy Morahan.
In 1996 and with the consent of Bob Dylan, Scottish musician Ted Christopher wrote a new verse for "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" in memory of the schoolchildren and teacher killed in the Dunblane school massacre. This has been, according to some sources, one of the few times Dylan has officially authorized anybody to add or change the lyrics to one of his songs. This version of the song, including children from the village singing the chorus with guitarist and producer of Dylan's album Infidels (1983), Mark Knopfler, was released on December 9 in the UK and reached No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart. The proceeds went to charities for children. The song was featured on the compilation album Hits 97, where all royalties from the song were given to three separate charities.
Other cover versions
- Two different live versions by Fairport Convention recorded in February 1974 at the Troubadour in Los Angeles were released. One on the Sandy Denny box set Who Knows Where the Time Goes in 1985, and the other on her anthology A Boxful of Treasures in 2004.
- A live version by Cold Chisel appears on their 1981 live album Swingshift.
- Danny & Dusty released a version of the song on their 1985 album The Lost Weekend.
- Heaven released a version of the song on the group's 1985 album, Knockin' On Heaven's Door.
- Randy Crawford released a version of this song on her album Rich and Poor in 1989, featuring Eric Clapton and David Sanborn.
- Vlado Kreslin released his live version on his album Pikapolonica in 1996. It was performed by Beltinška banda.
- The Brazilian singer Zé Ramalho released a Portuguese version of Dylan's song called "Batendo na Porta do Céu" in his 1997 album Antologia Acústica (Acoustic Anthology).
- Warren Zevon released a version of the song on his 2003 album The Wind, shortly before his death from cancer in September of that year.
- Avril Lavigne released a cover version on the bonus CD of her My World video release in 2003, as one of the B-Sides from her single "Nobody's Home" and afterwards as a Japanese bonus track for her 2011 album Goodbye Lullaby.
- Larry Norman released his cover on his 2004 album Sessions. With the exception of the chorus line, the song has completely original lyrics.
- Roger Waters released a cover version on his album Flickering Flame: The Solo Years Volume 1.
- Wyclef Jean recorded a version of the song, which was used in the 2004 documentary Ghosts of Cité Soleil.
- Babyface released a version on his 2007 album Playlist.
- A version by Antony and the Johnsons was included on the Bob Dylan cover album I'm Not There, which served as the soundtrack for the film of the same name.
- Mungo Jerry founder Ray Dorset released a Caribbean version of the song.
- Dolly Parton performed a version with Ladysmith Black Mombazo.
- Jerry Garcia Band often covered the song in their live sets, one recorded example being the live album Don't Let Go
- Meir Ariel, an Israeli singer, covered the song with a Hebrew version in a 1998 concert later released as an album, Doors Are Opened By Themselves. The chorus is sung in both Hebrew and English.
- Bryan Ferry recorded a version of the song on his album Dylanesque.
- The City of Miami Police Department published a video of Miami Police Sergeant Ginzo performing the song as a tribute to the 144 law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty in 2016.
Gabrielle's single "Rise" (2000) sampled from this song.
|Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
|Renaldo & Clara
||Bob Dylan & Roger McGuinn
|Lethal Weapon 2
||Randy Crawford, Eric Clapton & David Sanborn
|Days of Thunder
||Guns N' Roses
|Shake Rattle & Roll 2 (segment "Aswang")
||Guns N' Roses
|Total Balalaika Show
||Leningrad Cowboys and Alexandrov Ensemble
|The Dybbuk of the Holy Apple Field
|Knockin' on Heaven's Door
|Las Vegas (episode 45, "Letters, Lawyers and Loose Women")
|Six Feet Under (episode 61, "All Alone")
|ER (episode 260, "Darfur")
|Salvador (Puig Antich)
|I'm Not There
||Antony & the Johnsons
|Supernatural (episode 35, "Houses of the Holy")
|Cold Case (episode 84, "Blood on the Tracks")
|Big Love (episode 2-08, "Kingdom Come")
|My Name is Earl
|Come Dio Comanda
||Antony & the Johnsons
|Supernatural (episode 98, "Dark Side of the Moon")
|Blue Bloods (Season 4, Episode 7, "Drawing Dead")
|Sense8 (episode 9, "Death Doesn't Let You Say Goodbye")
||Antony & the Johnsons
|Containment, episode 5, "Like a Sheep Among Wolves"
In popular culture
Nick Talevski used the title for his book, Knocking On Heaven's Door: Rock Obituaries. A version of this song was performed by Raign for the TV show "The 100"
The title is used as a name of a Stand, "Heaven's Door", in the fourth part of the manga "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure", Diamond is Unbreakable.
The title was used for the 11th episode of Angel Beats! and Bob Dylan along with the song was mentioned in the episode by T.K. and Hinata
Covered by The Jenerators, the song was used during a tribute to the death of cast member Miguel Ferrer of NCIS: Los Angeles at the end of the Season 8 Episode 16 "New Tricks", broadcast on March 5, 2017. Ferrer was a member of The Jenerators.
- ^ Heylin, Clinton (2009). Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973. Chicago Review Press. p. 434.
- ^ Western Writers of America (2010). "The Top 100 Western Songs". American Cowboy. Archived from the original on 10 August 2014.
- ^ Schumacher, Michael. Crossroads: The Life and Music of Eric Clapton. Hyperion Press. p. 373.
- ^ "Eric Clapton discography". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- ^ "Gun N' Roses discography". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- ^ Garcia, Alex S. "mvdbase.com - Guns 'n' Roses - "Knockin' on Heaven's door [live]"". Music Video DataBase. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- ^ "Australian-charts.com – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Austriancharts.at – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ Pennanen, Timo. Sisältää hitin: levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972. Otava Publishing Company Ltd, 2003. ISBN 951-1-21053-X
- ^ "Lescharts.com – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Offiziellecharts.de – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Guns N' Roses". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door". VG-lista. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door". Singles Top 100. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Swisscharts.com – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1992-05-25" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Guns N' Roses – Chart history" Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs for Guns N' Roses. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988-2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- ^ "Italian single certifications – Guns N' Roses – Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- ^ "Dunblane Knockin' on Heaven's Door". bannockburnband.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- ^ "Dunblane against Guns". 1997-01-01. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- ^ Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 601. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ^ "Knockin' On Heaven's Door CD". BBC. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- ^ "Fairport Convention: Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Mainly Norfolk: English Folk and Other Good Music. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- ^ Adrian Zupp. "Swingshift - Cold Chisel". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- ^ "Heaven". Australian Music History. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- ^ "DONATIONS - The Solid Rock Shop". Solid Rock. Archived from the original on 2013-09-08. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- ^ "Blue Bloods Music - S4E7: "Drawing Dead"". TuneFind. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- ^ Televski, Nick, Knocking On Heaven’s Door: Rock Obituaries, Omnibus Press, London 2006
- ^ http://www.tvguide.com/news/ncis-la-recap-granger-miguel-ferrer/
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.