Last updated on 10 October 2017
John Parish (born 11 April 1959) is an English musician, songwriter, composer and record producer.
Parish is best known for his work with singer-songwriter PJ Harvey. He has also worked with many other bands including Eels, Tracy Chapman, Giant Sand, and Sparklehorse. His sister is the actress Sarah Parish. Parish was born in Yeovil, Somerset and lives in Bristol.
His first record release was a single "Mind Made" by the British new wave band, Thieves Like Us (1980). In 1982, he formed the band Automatic Dlamini, with Rob Ellis. The changing line-up of Automatic Dlamini included Polly Harvey from 1988 until 1991. Automatic Dlamini recorded three albums: The D is For Drum (1987), Here Catch Shouted his Father (1990 – unreleased but available as a bootleg), and From A Diva to a Diver (1992). By the time From A Diva to a Diver was released, Harvey had left to form the PJ Harvey trio with ex-Dlamini members Rob Ellis and Ian Olliver, and Parish was playing guitar with Marc Moreland's band The Ensenada Joyride.
In 1986 Parish had begun a parallel career as a record producer working with UK bands including The Chesterfields, The Brilliant Corners, The Caretaker Race and The Becketts. In 1995 he co-produced PJ Harvey's "To Bring You My Love", on which he also played guitar, drums, percussion and organ. He co-wrote and produced The Eels album Souljacker (2001), and played guitar on the world tour that accompanied its release. He has produced and/or played on a number of Howe Gelb / Giant Sand albums and frequently appears onstage with them. Parish produced the Giant Sand album Chore of Enchantment (2000), and a photograph of his wedding in Tucson in 1998 was used as the cover for the 2011 re-release of the record.
He also began working as a film composer in 1998, writing the score for Belgian director Patrice Toye's debut film, Rosie. Parish's score won the Jury Special Appreciation prize at the 1999 Bonn Film & TV Music Biennale. He has since scored other films and a Dutch seven-part TV drama Waltz (2006).
Parish has now worked on seven albums with Harvey, including two co-written albums: Dance Hall at Louse Point (1996) and A Woman A Man Walked By (2009). He played in the PJ Harvey touring band (guitar/drums/keyboards) from 1994 –1999, and again from 2009 – 2012. He co-produced and played on To Bring You My Love (1995),White Chalk (2007), the Mercury Prize winning Let England Shake (2011) and The Hope Six Demolition Project (2016).
- Rosie (2000)
- How Animals Move (2002)
- Once Upon a Little Time (2005)
- She, A Chinese Original Soundtrack (2010)
- Screenplay (2013)
- PJ Harvey – To Bring You My Love (1995): Producer, Guitar, Organ, Percussion, Drums
- John Parish & Polly Jean Harvey – Dance Hall at Louse Point (1996): Producer, Various Instruments
- Spleen – Soundtrack To Spleen (1997): Co-writer, guitar, percussion
- 16 Horsepower – Low Estate (1997): Producer, Various Instruments
- PJ Harvey – Is This Desire? (1998): Various Instruments
- Spleen – Little Scratches (1998): Co-writer, guitar, percussion
- Giant Sand – Chore of Enchantment (2000): Producer
- Bettie Serveert – Private Suit (2000) : producer
- Goldfrapp – Felt Mountain (2000) : guitar, drums
- Thou – Put Us in Tune (2000): producer, mix
- Eels – Souljacker (2001): Producer, co-writer, various instruments
- Dominique A – Auguri (2001): Producer, various instruments
- Morning Star – My Place in The Dust (2001): Producer
- Sparklehorse – It's a Wonderful Life (2001): Co-Producer, Various Instruments
- Tracy Chapman – Let it Rain (2002): Producer
- Thou – I like Girls in Russia (2004): Producer
- Morning Star – The Opposite is True (2004): Producer
- Jennie DeVoe – Fireworks and Karate Supplies (2004): Producer
- Nada – Tutto l'amore che mi manca (2004): Producer
- M. Ward – Transistor Radio (2005) : drums
- Afterhours – Ballate per piccole iene (2005): Producer e guitar on Ballata per la mia piccola iena
- Dionysos – Monsters in Love (2005): Producer
- PJ Harvey – White Chalk (2007): Producer
- Tom Brosseau – Cavalier (2007): Producer
- Magic Rays – Off the Map (2007) : Producer
- Marta Collica – Pretty and Unsafe (2007) : Producer
- Afterhours – I Milanesi Ammazzano il sabato (14 ricette di quotidiana macabra felicità) (2008): Producer
- Jennie DeVoe- Strange Sunshine(2009): Producer
- This Is The Kit – Krulle Bol (2008): Producer, drums
- Cesare Basile – Storia di Caino (2008): Producer, guitar.
- Marta Collica – About Anything (2009): Producer
- PJ Harvey & John Parish – A Woman a Man Walked By (2009): Producer, various instruments
- Maika Makovski – Maika Makovski (2010): Producer, guitar, drums, bass, banjo
- Kira – Look Up Ahead (2010): Producer
- Zender – Sunday Kids (2010): Mix
- Nive Nielsen and The Deer Children – Nive Sings (2010): John Parish: drums, guitar, bongos (on nine tracks)
- Peggy Sue – Acrobats (2011): Producer
- PJ Harvey – Let England Shake (2011): Producer, guitar, drums, vocals, keyboards, trombone
- M. Ward – Primitive Girl on A Wasteland Companion (2012): drums, percussion (also released as a 7″ vinyl single)
- Arno – Future Vintage (2012): Producer, guitars, drums
- KT Tunstall – Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon (2013)
- Jay Diggins – Searching (2013): Co-Producer with Jay Diggins, various instruments
- Mazgani – Common ground (2013): Co-Producer with Mick Harvey, various instruments
- Jenny Hval – Innocence is Kinky (2013): Producer, guitar, drums, variophon
- Rokia Traore – Beautiful Africa (2013): Producer
- Perfume Genius - "Too Bright" (2014): Producer
- Playing Carver (2014): Producer, guitar, volcals
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.