This page was last edited on 12 January 2018, at 17:54.
Grand Wizard was the title given to the head of the Reconstruction-era Ku Klux Klan which existed from 1865 to 1869.
In 1915, the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan were created along the lines of a fraternal organization. The highest-ranking leader of that latter-day organization was the Imperial Wizard. National officers were styled "Imperial" officers. State or "Realm" officers were styled "Grand" officers. A "Grand Dragon", for example, was the highest-ranking Klansman in a given state.
Following World War II, dozens of people have assumed the "Wizard" title as leaders of the numerous, independent, Klan-oriented organizations that have existed since then, the majority of which lack historical significance.
Grand or Imperial Wizards
This list excludes those of post-war, independent factions.
- Nathan Bedford Forrest, Grand Wizard, Reconstruction Klan, 1867–1869
- William Joseph Simmons, Imperial Wizard, second Klan, 1915–1922
- Hiram Wesley Evans, Imperial Wizard, second Klan, 1922–1939
- James A. Colescott, Imperial Wizard, second Klan, 1939–1944
- David Duke, Grand Wizard, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, 1974-1980
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.