Gaithersburg is a historic passenger rail station on the MARC Brunswick Line between Washington, D.C. and Martinsburg, WV (with a branch to Frederick, MD). It is located on 5 South Summit Avenue and East Diamond Avenue in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, Maryland.
|MARC Commuter rail station|
Gaithersburg MARC (formerly B&O) Railroad Station, January 2007
|Location||5 South Summit Avenue
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||Inter-County Connector routes
201 and 202
|Passengers (2013)||542 (MARC)|
Gaithersburg B & O Railroad Station and Freight Shed
|Location||Summit and East Diamond Avenues
|Architect||Ephraim Francis Baldwin|
|Architectural style||Queen Anne attributed|
|NRHP reference #||78001473|
|Added to NRHP||October 5, 1978|
The station was originally built as the Gaithersburg B & O Railroad Station and Freight Shed in 1884, for the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), The station was designed by Ephraim Francis Baldwin, and consists of two historic buildings. The passenger station is a one-story common-bond brick structure with a gable roof. It is nearly identical in plan and dimensions to the Laurel, Maryland station Baldwin designed, also built in 1884, although the rooflines and settings are quite different. About 90 feet to the east of the station is the freight shed or loading dock, a brick structure about 45 ft × 20 ft. Its north and south facades are divided into six panels with a door in the second and fifth bays on both sides. The station was extended to the east in 1905. When Amtrak was established in 1971, B&O Passenger service was replaced by the Potomac Special, which itself was replaced by the Blue Ridge in 1973. From 1976 to 1981 it also served another Amtrak train called the Shenandoah. During that time, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and continued to serve Amtrak until 1986, when it was converted into a MARC station with the establishment of the Brunswick Line. Now, instead of using the platform to unload passengers, they let off passengers on the road right next to the station, although sometimes when the train is long the conductor puts an additional exit next to the platform. A modern parking garage and pedestrian overpass can be found on the opposite side of South Summit Avenue. The garage was completed in 2000, with the pedestrian bridge finished the next year.
The Gaithersburg Community Museum is located in the restored 1884 B&O Railroad Station complex, and includes the freight house, a history park and a caboose. The museum features exhibits about the city's history, as well as historic railroad artifacts and equipment.
Media related to Gaithersburg (MARC station) at Wikimedia Commons