Esmé Stewart, 3rd Duke of Lennox
Last updated on 21 March 2017
Esmé Stewart, 3rd Duke of Lennox KG (1579 – 30 July 1624) was the son of Esmé Stewart, 1st Duke of Lennox. He was a patron of the playwright Ben Jonson, who lived in his household for five years.
He married Katherine Clifton, 2nd Baroness Clifton, in 1609. They had eleven children:
- Elizabeth (1610–1674), married Henry Howard, 22nd Earl of Arundel
- James, later 4th Duke of Lennox (1612–1655)
- Anne (1614–1646), married Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus
- Henry, 8th Seigneur d'Aubigny (1616–1632)
- Francis (1616–1617)
- Frances (1617–1694), married the 2nd Earl of Portland
- Margaret (1618–1618), died young
- George, 9th Seigneur d'Aubigny (1618–1642) Killed in Battle
- Ludovic, 10th Seigneur d'Aubigny (1619–1665)
- Lord John Stewart (1621–1644) Killed in Battle
- Lord Bernard Stewart (1623–1645) Killed in Battle
He died in 1624 and was interred, on 6 August 1624, in Westminster Abbey.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.