The Chalcots Estate is a council housing estate on Adelaide Road in Swiss Cottage in the London Borough of Camden.
The Estate comprises five high-rise tower blocks with a total of 711 or 717 flats, in four identical 23-storey towers (Taplow, Burnham, Bray, and Dorney), and one smaller 19-storey block (Blashford). The blocks were built in two stages, with approvals being given in 1965 and 1966, and construction in 1967 and 1968.
In 2012, there was a fire in the estate's Taplow Block, where the fire-resistant rock-wool insulation and fire-resistant sealant between floors meant that the fire was contained.
Coordinates: 51°32′36.6″N 0°10′00.8″W / 51.543500°N 0.166889°W
Grenfell Tower Fire Aftermath
On 22 June 2017, following the Grenfell Tower fire, Camden Council said that it would remove similar outer cladding panels that were added to the five blocks in a 2006 refurbishment by the same firms who renovated Grenfell Tower. Rydon. However, Camden Council stated that the insulation used "significantly differs" from that on Grenfell Tower, as it included "fire-resistant Rockwool insulation designed to prevent the spread of fire and fire-resistant sealant between floors, designed to stop a high-intensity flat fire from spreading to neighbouring flats". On 23 June, Camden Council stated that 800 homes in the five tower blocks were being evacuated in order to undertake "urgent fire safety works". On 24 June, 83 people were refusing to leave, and council leader Georgia Gould said this would "become a matter for the fire services".
By the 31 July, the decision had been reversed and residents were ordered to vacate the temporary accommodation and move back into the flats. An issue with fire doors had been found and rectified. No information had been given on the safety of the cladding. A resident Letitia Esposito challenged the decision in the high court. The judgement is pending.
- ^ Anna Behrmann (16 June 2017). "Hampstead MP calls urgent meeting for Chalcots Estate residents after Grenfell tragedy - News - Hampstead Highgate Express". Hamhigh.co.uk. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- ^ Kennett, Stephen. "Chalcot estate: Altered towers | Online News". Building. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- ^ "Chalcots Estate". Emporis. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- ^ "Camden set to remove cladding from Chalcots Estate tower blocks". News.camden.gov.uk. 16 June 2017. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- ^ a b Robert Booth (22 June 2017). "Cladding to be removed in Camden as councils scramble to check tower blocks". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- ^ "Camden flats to be evacuated over cladding - BBC News". Bbc.co.uk. 23 June 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- ^ "Cladding fire tests failed by 27 high-rise blocks". BBC. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- ^ Siddique, Haroon (31 July 2017). "Evacuated tower block resident in court over decision to move her back". The Guardian. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.