Last updated on 16 November 2016
Arothron is a genus of fish in the family Tetraodontidae found in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Ocean.
There are currently 14 recognized species in this genus:
- Arothron caeruleopunctatus Matsuura, 1994 (Blue-spotted puffer)
- Arothron carduus (Cantor, 1849)
- Arothron diadematus (Rüppell, 1829) (Masked puffer)
- Arothron firmamentum (Temminck & Schlegel, 1850) (Starry puffer)
- Arothron hispidus (Linnaeus, 1758) (White-spotted puffer)
- Arothron immaculatus (Bloch & J. G. Schneider, 1801) (Immaculate puffer)
- Arothron inconditus J. L. B. Smith, 1958 (Belly-striped puffer)
- Arothron manilensis (Marion de Procé, 1822) (Narrow-lined puffer)
- Arothron mappa (Lesson, 1831) (Map puffer)
- Arothron meleagris (Anonymous, referred to Lacépède, 1798) (Guineafowl puffer)
- Arothron multilineatus Matsuura, 2016 (Many-lined puffer) 
- Arothron nigropunctatus (Bloch & J. G. Schneider, 1801) (Black-spotted puffer)
- Arothron reticularis (Bloch & J. G. Schneider, 1801) (Reticulated puffer)
- Arothron stellatus (Anonymous, referred to Lacépède, 1798) (Stellate puffer)
- ^ Matsuura, K. (2016): A new pufferfish, Arothron multilineatus (Actinopterygii: Tetraodontiformes: Tetraodontidae), from the Indo-West Pacific. Ichthyological Research, 63 (4): 480-486.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.