Yaverland is a village on the Isle of Wight, just north of Sandown on Sandown Bay. It has about 200 houses. About 1⁄3 of a mile away from the village is the Yaverland Manor and Church. Holotype fossils have been discovered here of Yaverlandia and a pterosaur, Caulkicephalus. The White Air extreme sports festival was held annually at Yaverland pay and display car park between 1997 and 2008, but moved to Brighton for 2009.
The older part of the village is spread along the road to Bembridge by the Norman Church. The newer part is along the seafront, consisting entirely of a bungalow estate. The name appears to come from a local rendition of "over land" - being the land over the once-tidal causeway. An alternative derivation is from "Yar Island". In the fields below Yaverland the archaeological television programme Time Team discovered a Roman smithy.
In 1545 a battle took place in Yaverland between French forces and local levies. The French were crossing Culver Down from their landing at Whitecliff Bay in order to attack Sandown Castle and link up with a force from Bonchurch. The French fought their way into Sandown but were defeated at Sandown Castle, then under construction in the sea.
The Isle of Wight Zoo is in Yaverland. The zoo is noted for its collection of rescued tigers and increasingly realistic and spacious enclosures for them. The zoo inhabits much of the converted buildings of the Granite Fort built by Lord Palmerston as a defense against the French in 1860. The grounds were used by the military during World War II as part of the Pluto pipeline to send oil under the English Channel to France to fuel the Allied war efforts.
By the sea is the Yaverland Sailing and Boat Club and along the seashore are fossil-bearing beds, which may be explored by guided walks from Dinosaur Isle. A holiday camp is located further north in the village, and was once the site of Yaverland Battery.
In November 2008, the Isle of Wight Council opened a new public toilet block which runs completely from renewable energy generated on-site. It is thought to be one of the "greenest" facilities in the UK.
Southern Vectis bus route 8 links the village with the towns of Newport, Ryde, Bembridge and Sandown, including intermediate towns. Wightbus run route 22 around Culver Way to Sandown, after Southern Vectis withdrew route 10 from the area.
Bembridge is a village and civil parish located on the easternmost point of the Isle of Wight. It had a population of 3,848 according to the 2001 census of the United Kingdom, leading to the implausible claim by some residents that Bembridge is the largest village in England. Bembridge is home to many of the Island's wealthiest residents. The population had reduced to 3,688 at the 2011 Census.
Bembridge sits at the extreme eastern point of the Isle of Wight. Prior to land reclamation the area of Bembridge and Yaverland was almost an island unto itself, separated from the remainder of the Isle of Wight by Brading Haven. On the Joan Blaeu map of 1665, Bembridge is shown as Binbridge Iſle, nearly separated from the rest of Wight by River Yar.
Prior to the Victorian era Bembridge was a collection of wooden huts and farmhouses, which only consolidated into a true village with the building of the church in 1827 (later rebuilt in 1846).Bembridge Fort
Bembridge Fort (map reference SZ624861) is a fort built on the highest point of Bembridge Down close to the village of Bembridge on the Isle of Wight. It is one of the many Palmerston Forts built around Portsmouth during the period of the Second French Empire, as a safeguard against a perceived threat of French invasion by Napoleon III.
The hexagonally shaped fort was the main stronghold for the South East coastline of the Isle of Wight and was designed as a final retreat if the island was to be invaded. Due to its location with a view over both Sandown Bay and the Eastern Solent it acted as the command and control centre for the Western batteries on the Isle of Wight (Redcliff Battery, Yaverland Battery, Sandown Fort and Sandown Barrack Battery). The fort had barrack accommodation for 4 officers and 106 men with an original armament of six RBL 7 inch Armstrong guns mounted on the parapet side.Fortifications of the Isle of Wight
Many forts and fortifications have been built to protect the Isle of Wight (South England) from foreign invasion. Throughout history the island has been a site of key military importance. Controlling both entrances to the Solent and the home of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth. This is a list of most of the fortifications on the island.Gorges family
The House of Gorges is an ancient English family with Norman origins. They obtained the manors of Wraxall, Somerset and Bradpole in Dorset. The family again reached prominence in the 16th and 17th centuries.Hampton Weekes
Christian William Hampton Weekes (known as Hampton; 3 September 1880–31 August 1948.) was Archdeacon of the Isle of Wight from 1937 until his death.Weekes was educated at Charterhouse and Trinity College, Cambridge and ordained in 1907. After a curacy in Hale, Surrey he was Rector of Yaverland from 1909 until 1913. After this he became Vicar of Brading and (in 1934) Rural Dean of East Wight.John Cole (academic)
John Cole (1758–1819) was an Anglican priest and academic administrator at the University of Oxford.Cole was originally from Marazion in Cornwall, southwest England. He was educated at Exeter College, Oxford, where he gained a Master of Arts (1788), Bachelor of Divinity (1795) and Doctor of Divinity (1800).
In 1808, he was elected Rector of Exeter College, Oxford.
While Rector at Exeter College, Cole was also Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University from 1810 until 1814.
At the time of his death in 1819, Cole was Pro-Vice-Chancellor at Oxford University, Chaplain to his Royal Highness the Duke of Clarence, Rector of Yaverland in the Isle of Wight, and Vicar of Gulval in Cornwall.
His brother was Captain Sir Christopher Cole KCB (1770–1836), a Royal Navy officer.Morton Manor
Morton Manor (also La Morton or Mourton in the 13th century) is a manor house originating in the 13th century, in Brading, Isle of Wight, England. It is located 1 mile (1.6 km) southwest of Sandown Road. The 14th century fairly small house was modified in the 19th century. Constructed of varied materials, it was refurbished and extended in the early 20th century in an Arts and Crafts style. A Tudor fireplace is in the dining room, with William De Morgan green glazed tiles. The manor includes a small museum of rural life.
In 1998, a plaque was unveiled to commemorate the wartime service of members of the Women's Royal Naval Service. Morton Manor is a Grade II Listed building.Pinnacle (geology)
A pinnacle, tower, spire, needle or natural tower (German: Felsnadel, Felsturm or Felszinne) in geology is an individual column of rock, isolated from other rocks or groups of rocks, in the shape of a vertical shaft or spire.
Examples are the summits of the Aiguille du Midi in the Mont Blanc massif in France, the almost 43-metre-high Barbarine on the south side of the Pfaffenstein hill near Königstein in Germany, or the Bischofsmütze, the Drei Zinnen and the Vajolet Towers in the Dolomites, which are rich in such towers. An area of limestone formations within Nambung National Park, near the town of Cervantes, Western Australia, are also known as The Pinnacles.Redcliff Battery
Redcliff Battery (map reference SZ638855) is a battery located to the west of the Culver Cliffs and east of Yaverland on the Isle of Wight. It is one of the many Palmerston Forts built on the island to protect it in response to a perceived French invasion. Construction of the battery began in April 1861 and was complete by September 1863 at a cost of £4,776.Sailing at the 2011 Island Games
Sailing at the 2011 Island Games was held from 25 June–1 July 2011 at the Yaverland Sailing Club & Sandown Bay.Sandown Bay
Sandown Bay is a broad open bay which stretches for much of the length of the Isle of Wight's southeastern coast. It extends 8 1⁄2 miles (13.7 km) from Culver Down and Yaverland in the northeast to just south of Shanklin in the southwest, near the village of Luccombe. Near Luccombe, the bay is separated from The Undercliff by a large headland from which Upper Ventnor sits atop. The towns of Shanklin, Lake and Sandown are located on the bay's coast, while Luccombe and Upper Ventnor feature panoramic views across both Sandown Bay to the East and the Undercliff to the southwest. Due to the bay being relatively sheltered from offshore winds it is often used as temporary anchorage point for boats, including large cargo ships, before continuing east towards Continental Europe, or north towards The Solent.St John the Baptist Church, Yaverland
St John the Baptist Church, Yaverland is a parish church in the Church of England located in Yaverland, Isle of Wight.Wessex Formation
The Wessex Formation is a fossil-rich English geological formation that dates from the Berriasian to Barremian stages (about 145–125 million years ago) of the Early Cretaceous. It forms part of the Wealden Group and underlies the younger Vectis Formation and overlies the Durlston Formation. The dominant lithology of this unit is mudstone with some interbedded sandstones.William Russell (knight)
Sir William Russell (1257–1311) was an English nobleman, knight, and holder of a moiety of the feudal barony of North Cadbury, Somerset, but spent most of his life engaged in the administration and defence of the Isle of Wight, where he obtained by marriage the manor of Yaverland. He served as constable of Carisbrooke Castle, and sat in parliament on two occasions, firstly as burgess for Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, and then for the County of Southampton. As a baron his military service was called on several times by King Edward I Hammer of the Scots.Windsurfing at the 2011 Island Games
Windsurfing at the 2011 Island Games was held from 27 June–1 July 2011 at the Yaverland Sailing Club.Yaverland Battery
Yaverland Battery is a battery on the Isle of Wight, United Kingdom. It was constructed between 1861 and 1864.It originally mounted eight 7-inch Armstrong Rifled Breech Loading (RBL) guns, and enclosed with a Carnot wall. A rear surrounding wall included a small barrack block for two officers and 57 men. By 1886 the original guns had been replaced by eight 64-Pounder Rifled Muzzle Loading guns. Between 1898 and 1900 the battery was re-modelled to mount three 6-inch Mk VII Breech Loading guns.
Between the First and Second World Wars the battery was used by Territorial Army artillery units for Coast Artillery gun practise. In 1956 on the dissolution of Coast Artillery all of the guns were removed and the site sold off. It was developed for use as a holiday camp.
The remains of the Battery are now a Scheduled Ancient Monument.Yaverland Manor
Yaverland Manor is a medieval manor house in Yaverland, near Sandown, on the Isle of Wight. It was reconstructed in c. 1620 with alterations c. 1709. It became a Grade I listed building in 1949.The house was erected in the reign of James I., after the manor had passed by purchase from the Russells, the progenitors of the noble family of Bedford, who were Lords of Yaverland from the days of Edward I. to those of Mary. Sir Theobald Russell, one of the chief heroes of the island, commanded the inhabitants in 1340, when they successfully resisted a French invading force that landed at Bembridge, but unfortunately he was slain in the moment of victory. The house contains some wood carvings, including two figures known as Nero and Cleopatra, others in the shape of Moors' heads with wings, some playing on musical instruments, some as brackets to support the ceiling of the staircase.
It has a great hall where a carriage or two might drive about comfortably. Its grey walls and great mullioned windows harmonize soberly and well with its grove of fine sheltering elms. In the green close before the house two great stone shields, with coat armour boldly carved, are laid against the trunk of a tree, evidently taken from the old gateway. Close by is the chapel, referred by most historians to the time of Edward L, but evidently of much more ancient date.Yaverlandia
Yaverlandia is a genus of maniraptoran dinosaur. Known from a partial fossil skull found in Lower Cretaceous strata of the Wessex Formation on the Isle of Wight, it was described as the earliest known member of the pachycephalosaurid family, but recent research by Darren Naish shows it to have actually been a theropod, seemingly a maniraptoran. Yaverlandia was named from where it was found, Yaverland Point/ Yaverland Battery.
It was about 3 ft ( 1 m ) in length and 1 ft ( 30 cm ) in height.
Its fossils were discovered in 1930, in Egland.Yaverlestes
Yaverlestes gassoni is an extinct mammal which dates to the early Cretaceous period, 130 million years ago. It is part of the Wessex Formation from the Isle of Wight, England. The holotype, BMNH M 54386, is a partial jaw discovered near Yaverland.
The genus name, Yaverlestes, is derived from Yaverland, the location of its discovery, and lestes, Greek for thief. The specific epithet, gassoni, is in honour of Brian Gasson, its discoverer.
Isle of Wight Portal
Settlements on the Isle of Wight