Yarm is a small town in the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. The town is on the south bank of the River Tees and is historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire. The bridge at Yarm marked the furthest reach of tidal flow up the River Tees until the opening, in 1995, of the Tees Barrage, which now regulates river flow above Stockton. As the last bridge on the river before the sea, it was superseded by a new toll bridge opened in Stockton in 1771. The oldest part of the town, around the High Street, is situated in a loop of the river, and the newer parts of the town extend to the point where the River Leven meets the River Tees.
Yarm Viaduct over the River Tees
|Population||8,384 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
The name of the town is thought to be derived from the Old English gearum, dative plural of gear, 'pool for catching fish' (source of the modern dialect word yair with the same meaning), hence 'at the place of the fish pools'. Yarm was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and was originally a chapelry in the Kirklevington parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire; it later became a parish in its own right.
Bishop Skirlaw of Durham built a stone bridge, which still stands, across the Tees in 1400. An iron replacement was built in 1805, but it fell down in 1806. For many years, Yarm was at the tidal limit and head of navigation on the River Tees.
On 12 February 1821, at the George & Dragon Inn, the meeting was held that pressed for the third and successful attempt for a Bill to give permission to build the Stockton & Darlington Railway, the world's first public railway.
In 1890, Bulmer & Co listed twelve inns in Yarm: Black Bull, Cross Keys, Crown Inn, Fleece, George and Dragon, Green Tree, Ketton Ox, Lord Nelson, Red Lion, Three Tuns, Tom Brown, and Union. Also listed was Cross Keys beside the Leven Bridge.
In the 13th century, Yarm was classed as a borough, but this status did not persist. It formed part of the Stokesley Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894, and remained so until 1 April 1974 when, under the Local Government Act 1972, it became part of the district of Stockton-on-Tees in the new non-metropolitan county of Cleveland. Cleveland was abolished in 1996 under the Banham Review, with Stockton-on-Tees becoming a unitary authority.
Yarm has five housing estates, and the peninsular area where the town centre is situated. The estates are Willey Flatts, Layfield Farm, The Kebbell (locally known as Spitalfields), Leven Park and Levendale (occasionally referred to as Ingleby Grange).
Two road bridges cross the river, Yarm Bridge crossing from the High Street to Eaglescliffe, which is Grade II* listed, and Leven Bridge crossing the Leven between Yarm and Low Leven, which is Grade II listed. On 26 February 2010, Leven Bridge was closed after cracks appeared in it. Engineers suggested the bridge would remain closed for at least two weeks. Later it was confirmed that the bridge would be closed for up to three months after major damage was found to the Grade II-listed structure. Repairs took less time than expected, and the bridge re-opened on 18 June 2010.
The town hall High Street was built in 1710 by Thomas Belasyse who was Lord of the Manor. In a poll taken for the BBC's Breakfast programme on 19 January 2007, Yarm's High Street was voted the 'Best High Street': the street and its cobbled parking areas is fronted by many Georgian-style old buildings, with their red pantile roofs.
The A67, which runs through High Street was previously classified as the A19 until a dual carriageway was built in the 1970s, about three miles south of the town near the village of Crathorne. When the A19 ran through High Street, it was heavily congested. The road was used by heavy goods traffic as a shortcut to Durham Tees Valley Airport, formerly called Teesside Airport. The classification of the road as an 'A'-road meant that it was difficult to place a ban on heavy goods vehicles; however the town council made efforts to come up with voluntary agreements with many haulage firms until 2012, when all HGV traffic was banned from the route through Yarm and Egglescliffe.
Yarm has multiple areas of woodland, most of which are part of private estates. The Rookery is a public area by the River Tees situated at the bottom of Goose Pasture. The ash, sycamore and lime woodland is about 200 years old and owned by Yarm Town Council. In 2002, a walkway was constructed around the wood to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. Within the woodland, close to the river, BMX riders have created numerous dirt ramps which are regularly used during summer months.
From 2010 to 2017 the constituency was represented by James Wharton (Conservative); He was elected on 6 May 2010 for Stockton South. James Wharton was re-elected with an increased majority on 7 May 2015. In August 2016 he was appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for International Development.
From 1997 to 2010, the constituency was represented by Dari Taylor (Labour).
The Yarm ward of Stockton, which includes Kirklevington, has three local councillors sitting on Stockton Borough Council. From 3 May 2007 until May 2011, they were Conservative councillors Jennie Beaumont, Jackie Earl and Andrew Sherris.
|Liberal Democrat||Philip Addison||452||5.19%|
|Yarm Independents Association||John Anderson||817||9.39%|
|Liberal Democrat||Alan Kirby Judge||493||5.66%|
|Yarm Independents Association||Christopher Neil||740||8.50%|
|Labour||Victoria Eileen Parker||297||3.41%|
|Yarm Independents Association||Marjorie Simpson||1005||11.55%|
|Labour||Simon Rogers Tranter||301||3.46%|
|Liberal Democrat||Mike Wade||455||5.23%|
From 5 May 2011, Conservatives Mark Chatburn, Ben Houchen, and Andrew Sherris became the councillors on the Stockton on Tees Borough Council for the Yarm Ward. Mark Chatburn subsequently defected to UKIP on 22 March 2013.
|Liberal Democrat||Natasha Craggs||186||1.68%|
|Yarm Independent Association||Christopher Neil||1218||10.99%|
|Yarm Independent Association||Marjorie Simpson||1287||11.61%|
|Yarm Independent Association||Robert Wegg||1101||9.93%|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Wylie||152||1.37%|
|Liberal Democrat||Lindsay Wylie||141||1.27%|
Yarm Town Council has eleven seats with a chairman who, for ceremonial purposes, is 'Mayor'. The Standing Orders of the Council restrict the chairman's period of office to two years in any four-year period. The current (2015) chairman is Clr Jason Hadlow. Elections for the council are held every four years.
A by-election was held for two vacant seats on the council after the resignation of one, and disqualification of another Conservative councillor. The Conservative Party fielded two candidates against two Independent candidates who stood under the banner 'Former Councillor'. The Labour Party and Liberal Democrats chose not to field any candidates, the former instead backing the Independents. Turnout for the election was low, with the Conservative candidates elected by a small margin.
After the departure of a Conservative councillor, a by-election was held on 15 October 2009 for one seat on the town council. Peter Monck, a former town councillor and Liberal Democrat candidate for Stockton South in the 1997 general election stood as an independent candidate against Paul Smith, a Conservative party candidate.
The 2,280-foot-long (690 m) railway viaduct was built between 1849 and 1851 for the Leeds Northern Railway Company. Its designers were Thomas Grainger and John Bourne. It comprises seven million bricks, and has 43 arches, with the two that span the river Tees being skewed and made of stone. The current un-manned modern station, opened in 1996, is located on Green Lane near Conyers School, about a mile south of Yarm High Street.
Arriva North East is the main bus operator serving Yarm and operate the following services:
WP & M Hutchinson operate one route serving Yarm:
Leven Valley Coaches is the other operator, running the following services:
Yarm Parish Church is the Anglican parish church, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. It is situated on West Street, where there has been a church on the site since at least the 9th century. It was last rebuilt from the remains of the second, Norman, church in 1730. It is a Grade II* listed building. The Roman Catholic (RC) church of Ss Mary and Romuald, built in 1860, is at the south end of High Street. It is a Grade II listed building. Yarm Methodist Church, an octagonal church built in 1763, is on Chapel Yard, on the east side of the town by the river, and is the oldest octagonal church in current use in Methodism. It is a Grade II listed building.
Yarm Rugby Club is based at Wass Way, Eaglescliffe. The club has grown significantly since forming in February 1998. They run teams and training sessions for most ages from youth to seniors. Currently playing in Durham and Northumberland Division 3.
Yarm Cricket Club is situated on Leven Road, and has been in existence since 1814. It runs three senior teams in the North Yorkshire South Durham League, and four junior sides – under 11s, under 13s, under 15s and under 17s – who all play competitive cricket throughout the season. In recent years, Yarm's third team, who play on a Sunday, have been the most successful team in the club, winning the NYSD Sunday Division 1 on several occasions, along with the League and Cup double in 2008.
Other sports facilities within Yarm include a floodlit state-of-the-art 4G football pitch, located at Conyers School. This facility is run by the Go-Sport group and has been the home ground for local youth and adult football clubs, including Yarm Town Juniors and Yarm FC. In 2016, the Go-Sport group hosted an FA-accredited 11-a-side Midweek Football League, contested by various local clubs, including TIBS F.C. from Ingleby Barwick. The winners of this inaugural trophy were L&H F.C., who had a 3–1 victory in the final.
Many events are held in the town each year such as a Gala, Fair and a 5 km Fun Run. After lying dormant for almost 100 years the Yarm Gala restarted in 2008.
A charter to hold a weekly market was granted by King John in 1207. It lapsed, but was revived in 2011 as a Farmers' Market. It is held on the second Sunday of each month.
A fair is held in High Street in the third week in October. It starts on the Tuesday evening, and is officially opened on the Thursday. It lasts until Saturday night. It was once a commercial fair that traded in cheese and livestock, but is now primarily a funfair. Travellers still attend the fair and ride horses up and down the street on the Saturday. The travellers have to wait outside the town until 6:00 pm on the Tuesday, at which point they are allowed to cross the bridge over the River Tees into the town.
Yarm and District Lions Club run a charities fair in High Street every year. This mostly takes a market-like approach.
There are three primary schools in the town:
Conyers School, with about 1,400 pupils, is a mixed comprehensive school; it has also a sixth-form. It was founded in 1594 as 'the Free Grammar School' by Thomas Conyers. Following the change to comprehensive education, it was renamed to reflect its founder. Conyers is a specialist school for maths and computing.
The town is home to the independent Yarm School with about 1,200 pupils; the senior school being situated at the Friarage, and the preparatory school and nursery at the old Yarm Grammar School. The school was founded in 1978, some time after the re-designation of the original grammar school. The school had plans to move within the next decade to a site near to their playing fields on Green Lane, south of the town. However, planning permission was not granted by the local council, and Yarm School is no longer planning to move, instead choosing to renovate and improve the current site.
On the southern edge of the built up area of Yarm, is HM Prison Kirklevington Grange, a men's resettlement prison for inmates intending to settle, on release, in the North East of England.
People associated with the town include John Wesley, founder of Methodism, and Tom Brown, hero of the Battle of Dettingen, who consequently became the last man to be knighted on the battlefield. His old house is still located on the High Street and dates from around 1480, pre-dating the Elizabethan period and is the oldest standing dwelling in the former County of Cleveland.
Yarm has also been home to professional footballers including Middlesbrough and Dutch international George Boateng who now works outside the UK, and former Valencia and Spain International Gaizka Mendieta. Former England boss Steve McClaren also regularly visits the town, as his family home is situated in the neighbouring village of Aislaby. Iron Maiden guitarist Janick Gers, and West End playwright and international screenwriter Graham Farrow also live in Yarm. The cricketer William Halton was born at Yarm.
Yarm is twinned with two other European towns:
On 2 July 2005, two trees were planted to the north of the town hall to mark the 20th anniversary of the twinning between Yarm and the two towns. The trees were marked with plaques.
The A135 is a road in Teesside, England, running from Stockton-on-Tees through Eaglescliffe to Yarm on the A67, on the boundary with the River Tees. It is also known as Yarm Road, and was the A19 before the dual carriageway was built.
In the 19th century, a stagecoach raced along Yarm Road against Locomotion Number One which ran alongside on the Stockton to Darlington railway line. There is no record as to which won the race.Aislaby, County Durham
Aislaby ( AYZ-əl-bi)) is a small village and civil parish on the north bank of the River Tees within the borough of Stockton-on-Tees and the ceremonial county of County Durham, England. It is located to the west of Eaglescliffe and Yarm. The name, first attested as Asulue(s)bi in 1086, is of Viking origin and means "Aslak's farm." Aislaby was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086.Armidale Airport
Armidale Airport (IATA: ARM, ICAO: YARM) is an airport serving Armidale, a city in the Australian state of New South Wales. It is located 2 nautical miles (3.7 km; 2.3 mi) southwest of the town centre, on the New England Highway. The airport is operated by Armidale Regional Council.Baron Crathorne
Baron Crathorne, of Crathorne in the North Riding of the County of York, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1959 for the Conservative politician and former Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, Sir Thomas Dugdale, 1st Baronet. He had already been created a baronet, of Crathorne in the North Riding of the County of York, in 1945. As of 2016 the titles are held by his son, the second Baron, who succeeded in 1977. Lord Crathorne is one of the ninety elected hereditary peers that remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999, and sits as a Conservative.
The family seat is Crathorne House, near Yarm, North Yorkshire.Borough of Stockton-on-Tees
The Borough of Stockton-on-Tees is a unitary authority and borough in the north east of England, with a population of 191,600 shown in the 2011 census. It is split between the ceremonial counties of Durham and North Yorkshire by the River Tees.
The borough of Stockton-on-Tees consists of Stockton-on-Tees (population 82,880), and smaller outlying settlements, including Billingham (pop. 36,720) also north of the Tees, while south of the river are Thornaby-on-Tees, (pop. 23,200), Yarm and Ingleby Barwick (pop. 16,280). Durham Tees Valley Airport is also partly within the borough. The Stockton-on-Tees borough accounts for the largest number of residents within the Teesside and Hartlepool urban area. Together with other neighbouring boroughs, it forms part of the Tees Valley city region.Conyers' School
Conyers School is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in the town of Yarm, England.Durham/Northumberland 3
Durham/Northumberland 3 is an English Rugby Union league at the ninth tier of the domestic competition and is currently the basement league of club rugby in North East England. Any club in the north east wishing to join the rugby union club hierarchy must begin at the bottom so all new teams from the north east start in this division - although until 2005-06 there was relegation to the now defunct Durham/Northumberland 4. The champions and runner-up and promoted to Durham/Northumberland 2.
Each season two teams from Durham/Northumberland 3 are picked to take part in the RFU Junior Vase (a national competition for clubs at levels 9-12) - one affiliated with the Durham County RFU, the other with the Northumberland RFU.Egglescliffe
Egglescliffe is a village and civil parish which for ceremonial purposes is in County Durham, England. Administratively it is located in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees. It was formerly part of the non-metropolitan county of Cleveland.
The village sits on top of a hill overlooking and across the River Tees from Yarm. The population of the village is around 595, while the civil parish has a population of 7,908, increasing to 8,559 at the 2011 Census.The parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist and there has been a place of worship on the site since the twelfth century. Also in the village is a Church of England primary school, small public play area, farms, allotments and a public house, called the Pot and Glass.List of schools in Stockton-on-Tees
This is a list of schools in the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees, England.Naboo
Naboo is a planet in the fictional Star Wars universe with a mostly green terrain and which is the homeworld of two spacefaring societies: the Gungans, who dwell in underwater cities, and the humans, who live in colonies on the surface. Humans of Naboo have an electoral monarchy and maintain a peaceful culture that defends education, the arts, environmental protection and scientific achievements. The main capital of Naboo is Theed. Three moons orbit Naboo: Ohma-D'un, Rori, and Tasia the ice moon.
Located in the Chommell sector, Naboo is the home planet of Padmé Amidala and Jar Jar Binks, as well as Senator (later Supreme Chancellor and then Emperor) Palpatine. In Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, it was the site of a blockade by the Trade Federation and the Battle of Naboo between the Federation and the native inhabitants. Naboo is seen in four films in the Star Wars series, having a prominent role in the first two prequels and glimpsed briefly in Revenge of the Sith and the 2004 DVD release of Return of the Jedi.
Theed's architecture, while referencing Ancient Rome and other classical traditions, was heavily inspired by the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Marin County Civic Center in California, located near Skywalker Ranch and Industrial Light & Magic. The swamps of Naboo are home to many species of creatures including the massive Opee Sea Killer in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace.Northallerton–Eaglescliffe line
The Northallerton–Eaglescliffe line runs between the towns of Northallerton and Eaglescliffe. It connects the East Coast Main Line to the Tees Valley Line. It was built by the Leeds Northern Railway as part of their main line from Leeds to Stockton (via Harrogate and Ripon) which opened on 2 June 1852, although the connection to the ECML at the Northallerton end was not opened for a further four years.River Leven, North Yorkshire
The River Leven is a river in North Yorkshire, England, a tributary to the River Tees. It rises on Warren Moor, part of Kildale Moor, in the North York Moors and flows to the north of the moors to join the River Tees at Yarm.River Tees
The River Tees () is in northern England. It rises on the eastern slope of Cross Fell in the North Pennines, and flows eastwards for 85 miles (137 km) to reach the North Sea between Hartlepool and Redcar near Middlesbrough.St Mary Magdalene, Yarm
St Mary Magdalene is a Church of England parish church in the town of Yarm, Stockton-on-Tees, England. Administratively, it is a parish of the Diocese of York. The current rector is the Reverend John Ford.
The current church building is the third to stand on the site. The first was a wooden Saxon building of which no traces remain. A Norman church was built in the late 12th Century and remained until 1728 when it razed by fire. The present Georgian church was built from the remains of the second in 1730.Stockton-on-Tees
Stockton-on-Tees is a market town in County Durham, England. The town has a population of 85,000, with a population of around 196,000 in the wider area, the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees, according to 2017 estimates by ONS UK.TS postcode area
The TS postcode area, also known as the Cleveland postcode area, (or unofficially as the Teesside postcode area) is a group of 29 postcode districts in north-east England, which are subdivisions of ten post towns. These districts cover north-east North Yorkshire (including Middlesbrough, Redcar, Saltburn-by-the-Sea, Guisborough and Yarm) and south-east County Durham (including Stockton-on-Tees, Hartlepool, Billingham, Wingate and Trimdon Station).Yarm School
Yarm School is a co-educational independent school in the Georgian market town of Yarm, England, on the River Tees. The school educates over 1200 pupils and is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference.Yarm railway station
Yarm railway station serves the town of Yarm in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees and ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England.
The station is 8.5 miles (14 km) south west of Middlesbrough on the North TransPennine Express Line and is operated by TransPennine Express.
The station re-opened in February 1996, replacing a former station further north that had closed in 1960 and is situated about a mile (1.6 km) south of the town's High Street. The old station building can still be seen, just north of the substantial brick viaduct that carries the line above the town.Zach Kibirige
Zach Kibirige (born 28 October 1994) is a rugby union player who plays wing for the Newcastle Falcons in the Aviva Premiership.
The borough of Stockton-on-Tees
|Boroughs or districts|