Wortley Hall is a stately home in the small South Yorkshire village of Wortley, located south of Barnsley. For more than six decades the hall has been chiefly associated with the British Labour movement. It is currently used by several trades unions and other organisations as a venue for residential training courses and other meetings, as well as for purely social gatherings.
The building is constructed of sandstone ashlar with graduated slate roofs to an irregular floor plan, mostly in 2 storeys with a 7-bay south front.
A manor house at Wortley was rebuilt by Sir Richard Wortley in 1586. During the English Civil War his son Sir Francis Wortley, 1st Baronet, like his powerful ally Sir Thomas Wentworth of Wentworth Woodhouse, was a Royalist and fought for the King, allowing Wortley Hall to be used as a garrison for 150 dragoons. However, in 1644 Sir Francis was captured and imprisoned in the Tower of London and on his release in 1649 obliged to pay a heavy fine to recover his property. Wortley then eventually descended to an illegitimate daughter who married Sidney Montagu, second son of Edward Montagu, 1st Earl of Sandwich, c.1670.
The Hall was significantly remodelled by Giacomo Leoni in 1742–46 and the East Wing added in 1757–61 for Sir Edward Wortley Montagu, MP and Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire who died in 1761. He left it to his daughter Mary, who had married Prime Minister John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute. From her it passed in 1794 to their son, Colonel James Archibald Stuart (1747–1818), who added the surname Wortley to his own (and later also added Mackenzie). He left it to his son Colonel James Archibald (1776–1845) who was MP for Yorkshire from 1818 to 1826, when he was created Baron Wharncliffe.
Edward Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 3rd Baron Wharncliffe was created Earl of Wharncliffe in 1876. The Hall was the seat of the Earls of Wharncliffe until the Second World War, when it was used by the British Army, after which its structural condition deteriorated.
In 1950, a group of local trade union activists identified the hall as a possible educational and holiday centre, and established a co-operative which succeeded in purchasing the hall for those purposes. It was formally opened on 5 May 1951.
The hall was highlighted in series six, episode 12 of Great British Railway Journeys by Michael Portillo on BBC Two on 20 January 2015. Michael Portillo described its current role, met the general manager and stayed the night. He showed the links to trade unionism.
Amicus was the United Kingdom's second-largest trade union, and the largest private sector union, formed by the merger of Manufacturing Science and Finance and the AEEU (Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union), agreed in 2001, and two smaller unions, UNIFI and the GPMU. Amicus also organised in both parts of Ireland and was affiliated to the UK Trades Union Congress, the Irish Congress of Trade Unions and the Scottish Trades Union Congress.
On 1 May 2007 it merged with the TGWU to form Unite, which is the biggest trade union in the UK.Barnsley
Barnsley () is a town in South Yorkshire, England, located halfway between Leeds and Sheffield. Historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the town centre lies on the west bank of the Dearne Valley. Barnsley is surrounded by several smaller settlements which together form the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, of which Barnsley is the largest and its administrative centre. At the 2011 Census, Barnsley had a population of 91,297.Barnsley is a former industrial town centred on linen in its former years and coal mining, glassmaking and textiles. The industries declined in the 20th century. Barnsley's culture is rooted in its industrial heritage and it has a tradition of brass bands, originally created as social clubs by its mining communities. It is also home of the Barnsley chop.
The town is accessed from junctions 36, 37 and 38 of the M1 motorway and has a railway station on the Hallam and Penistone Lines. Barnsley F.C. is the local football club, which has competed in the second tier of British football for most of its history. Barnsley F.C. also won the FA Cup in 1912.
The town of Barnsley also has a Women's Football Club which is in the fourth tier of Women's Football. Barnsley Women's Football Club was formed in 1982 and finished 4th in the FA Women's National League Division 1 North in the 2018/19 Season.Campuses of the University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham operates from four campuses in Nottinghamshire and from two overseas campuses, one in Ningbo, China and the other in Semenyih, Malaysia. The Ningbo campus was officially opened on 23 February 2005 by the then British Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, in the presence of Chinese education minister Zhou Ji and State Counsellor Chen Zhili. The Malaysia campus was the first purpose-built UK university campus in a foreign country and was officially opened by Najib Tun Razak on 26 September 2005. Najib Tun Razak, as well as being a Nottingham alumnus, was Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia at the time and has since become Prime Minister of Malaysia.
University Park Campus and Jubilee Campus are situated a few miles from the centre of Nottingham, with the small King's Meadow Campus nearby. Sutton Bonington Campus is situated 12 miles (19 km) south of the central campuses, near the village of Sutton Bonington.Colin Evans (medium)
Colin Evans was an early 20th-century Welsh Spiritualist medium who claimed to have the ability to levitate but was discovered to be a fraud.Earl of Wharncliffe
Earl of Wharncliffe, in the West Riding of the County of York, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.Edward Wortley Montagu (diplomat)
Sir Edward Wortley-Montagu (8 February 1678 – 22 January 1761) was British Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, husband of the writer Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and father of the writer and traveller Edward Wortley Montagu.
Son of Sidney Wortley Montagu and grandson of Edward Montagu, 1st Earl of Sandwich, Wortley Montagu was educated at Westminster School, Trinity College, Cambridge (1693) and trained in the law at the Middle Temple (1693), was called to the bar in 1699 and entered the Inner Temple in 1706.
He was best known for his correspondence with, seduction of, and elopement with the aristocratic writer, Mary, daughter of Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull. They married in 1712. He succeeded his father in 1727, inheriting Wortley Hall, near Barnsley in South Yorkshire.
Montagu himself was a prominent Whig politician, and was MP for Huntingdon before eventually becoming a Lord Commissioner of the Treasury from 1714 to 1715.
He made Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire and elected the representative of the Levant Company on the king's nomination on 10 May 1716. He arrived with his wife at Adrianople (now known as Edirne) on 13 March 1717. As Ambassador, he was charged with pursuing the ongoing negotiations between the Ottomans and the Habsburg Empire. Unsuccessful in the position he was not made Ambassador to the Ottoman Porte in Constantinople before he was recalled in October 1717. He left Turkey on 15 July 1718 and, for some time traveled in the East. Upon his return to England from Constantinople, he fell out with the Whig hierarchy but remained a Member of Parliament for Huntingdon (1722–1734) and Peterborough (1734 until his death in 1761).
From 1757 to 1761 he remodelled Wortley hall, adding the East Wing. On his death he left the hall and a large fortune to his daughter Mary, having in 1755 cut off his son Edward with only a small allowance. Mary married the future Prime Minister, John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute.Giacomo Leoni
Giacomo Leoni (1686 – 8 June 1746), also known as James Leoni, was an Italian architect, born in Venice. He was a devotee of the work of Florentine Renaissance architect Leon Battista Alberti, who had also been an inspiration for Andrea Palladio. Leoni thus served as a prominent exponent of Palladianism in English architecture, beginning in earnest around 1720. Also loosely referred to as Georgian, this style is rooted in Italian Renaissance architecture.
Having previously worked in Düsseldorf, Leoni arrived in England, where he was to make his name, in 1714, aged 28. His fresh, uncluttered designs, with just a hint of baroque flamboyance, brought him to the attention of prominent patrons of the arts.Grade II* listed buildings in South Yorkshire
There are over 20,000 Grade II* listed buildings in England. This list includes those in South Yorkshire.John Stuart-Wortley, 2nd Baron Wharncliffe
John Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 2nd Baron Wharncliffe FRS (20 April 1801 – 22 October 1855), was a British Tory politician. He served briefly as Under-Secretary of State for War and the Colonies between December 1834 and January 1835.Joseph Harrison (horticulturalist)
Joseph Harrison (1798 – 16 May 1856) was a British horticulturalist and editor of horticultural periodicals.Listed buildings in Sheffield S35
This is a list of listed buildings in the S35 district of Sheffield, in England. This includes the areas of Brightholmlee, Burncross, Chapeltown, Ecclesfield, Grenoside, High Green, Onesacre, Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side, Whitley and Worrall, plus part of Middlewood. It also includes an area of Barnsley around Green Moor, Thurgoland and Wortley.
For neighbouring areas, see listed buildings in S5, listed buildings in S6, listed buildings in S36, listed buildings in S61, listed buildings in S62, listed buildings in S74, and listed buildings in S75.Penistone and Stocksbridge (UK Parliament constituency)
Penistone and Stocksbridge is a constituency in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament created in 2010. As with all constituencies, adults qualifying to vote in the seat (its electorate) elect one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.Peter Atkinson (architect, born 1735)
Peter Atkinson (1735–1805) was an English architect. He was born at or near Ripon and started work as a carpenter. He later became an assistant to John Carr and was employed at Buxton, Harewood and elsewhere. In 1786 he became responsible for maintaining York's corporation property, and subsequently took over Carr's extensive works in Yorkshire and further north.
Among Atkinson's works were:
No. 18 Blake Street, York, c.1789.
Monk Bridge, York, 1794 (later widened in 1924–6)
Hackness Hall, 1797, a large mansion for Sir R.V.B. Johnstone at Hackness (near Scarborough). In 1910 the building was gutted by fire, but was subsequently restored by Walter Brierley.
Hainton Hall, Lincolnshire, rebuilt the west front for George Heneage in 1800.
A stable block at Wortley Hall, West Riding of Yorkshire, for Earl of Wharncliffe c.1800
Enlargement of the Female Prison in York Castle by adding the end bays to match John Carr's Assize Courts, 1802 (the Female Prison is now part of York Castle Museum).
Additions at Ormsby Hall, South Ormsby, Lincolnshire, for Charles Burrell Massingberd, 1803
York, No. 51 Bootham, for Sir R. V. B. Johnstone, now a school, 1803.
Gateway and farm buildings at Harewood House, West Riding, for the 1st Earl of Harewood c. 1803
Brockfield Hall, Warthill, North Riding of Yorkshire, for Benjamin Agar, 1804–7The Atkinson family of York architects continued after Atkinson's death. His son was Peter Atkinson (baptised 1780, died 1843) who himself had sons John Bownas Atkinson (1807–1874) and William Atkinson (architect, born 1811).Before their father's death, the two sons had taken over and for the next thirty plus years they were the most prolific of the city's architects. In 1877 William took James Demaisne (1842–1911) as partner.University of Nottingham Halls of Residence
This is a list of halls of residence on the various campuses of the University of Nottingham in Nottingham, England.
The University of Nottingham has a particularly well developed system of halls located on its campus. The halls acts a microcosms of the university at large and provide a community-level forum for the interaction of undergraduates, postgraduates and senior academics.
The halls are generally named either after counties, districts, or places in the English East Midlands (Nottingham having been originally conceived as a regional university for this area) or significant people associated with the university. Lenton, Lincoln, Derby, Rutland, Sherwood, Newark, Southwell, Ancaster and Melton halls fall into the former category; Hugh Stewart, Cripps, Cavendish, Nightingale, Florence Boot, Wortley, and Willoughby into the latter.Wortley, South Yorkshire
Wortley is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. At the 2001 census it had a population of 579, increasing to 626 at the 2011 Census. Wortley is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as Wirtleie.
Wortley grew up as a settlement where the Sheffield to Halifax road crossed the Cheshire to Rotherham route. In 1250, a Sunday market was briefly established, but this was quickly suppressed by the monks who owned the right to hold markets in Barnsley. In 1307, the village finally received a Royal Charter to hold a weekly Thursday market and an annual three-day fair at Whitsun. The market and fair both soon ceased, and an eighteenth-century attempt to revive the fair was unsuccessful.The parish church of St. Leonard's dates back to the medieval period, being rebuilt during the 18th century.<
The village is famous for the Wortley Top Forge, which dates back to the time of the Industrial Revolution, but is most famous for the notorious highwayman Swift Nick (John Nevison, 1639 - 1684) who was born and raised there. It was really he (and not Dick Turpin) who made the infamous ride on horseback from London to York in order to establish an alibi for a robbery. Until 1987, Wortley was home to the Earl of Wharncliffe.
Wortley is home to Wortley Mens Club, the winner of the campaign for real ales (CAMRA) club of the year 2014 for the entire Yorkshire region and subsequent super regional winner for the North East, making it one of the best 4 Clubs in the UK. It has now been voted the best club in Britain by CAMRA for 2015 beating 28,000 other entrants. It hosts a variety of events including an annual charity beer festival held on or around 1 August every year to coincide with Yorkshire day.
Located in Wortley is Wortley Hall, a Grade II listed building since 1990. The parish contains the hamlet of Bromley.Wortley baronets
The Wortley Baronetcy, of Wortley in the County of York, was a title in the Baronetage of England. It was created on 29 June 1611 for Francis Wortley, who later sat as Member of Parliament for East Retford and supported the Royalist cause in the Civil War. The title became extinct on the death of the second Baronet in 1665.The family seat was at Wortley Hall, near Barnsley, Yorkshire.Wortley railway station
Wortley railway station was a railway station on the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway lying between Deepcar and Penistone. It was built to serve the village of Wortley, near Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Wortley Hall, near the village, was the home of the Earl of Wharncliffe, long time associated with railway development in the area.
The station was similar to the others which opened with the line, with flanking platforms, slightly askew and linked by a footbridge, and a main, stone-built structure with canopy, on the Sheffield-bound platform. Because of its proximity to Wortley Hall the station had a private waiting room for the use of the Earl of Wharncliffe, his family and visitors.
The station, opened on 14 July 1845, was closed on 2 May 1955.