Worston is a small linear village and civil parish in Lancashire, England. The village is north-west of Pendle Hill, east of Clitheroe, and is in the Ribble Valley district. As it is only a small village, with a population of 76 at the 2001 census, it has no parish council, but instead has a parish meeting. The parish meeting is shared with Mearley, a small parish south of Worston with no villages or hamlets and a population of 25, the second smallest in Lancashire. From the 2011 Census population information for both Mearley and Worston is included within the civil parish of Pendleton.
The village has a public house "The Calf's Head". The single road that passes through the village continues as a single track road to Downham. Worston is bypassed to the west by the A59 road, which passes through the edge of the parish. Slightly further north is the route of a Roman road, which forms part of the parish boundary.
The Calf's Head public house
Shown within Ribble Valley
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Media related to Worston at Wikimedia Commons
The A671 is a road in the North West of England, that runs between Oldham, Greater Manchester and Worston, near Clitheroe, Lancashire. Major towns on the route include Rochdale and Burnley. The road is approximately 35 miles (56 km) long. Between Burnley and the A59, the A671 has primary status.
The section of road between Burnley and Whalley has been identified as one of the UK's ten most dangerous roads, with 48 serious or fatal collisions between 2000-2005.BB postcode area
The BB postcode area, also known as the Blackburn postcode area, is a group of postcode districts around Accrington, Barnoldswick, Blackburn, Burnley, Clitheroe, Colne, Darwen, Nelson and Rossendale in England.Barley-with-Wheatley Booth
Barley-with-Wheatley Booth is a civil parish in the Pendle district of Lancashire, England. It has a population of 298, and contains the village of Barley and the hamlet of White Hough or Whitehough (53.859°N 2.257°W / 53.859; -2.257 (White Hough)). To the west of Barley is Pendle Hill; its summit, at 557 metres (1,827 ft), is within the parish.
The parish adjoins the Pendle parishes of Blacko, Roughlee Booth and Goldshaw Booth and the Ribble Valley parishes of Sabden, Mearley, Worston, Downham and Twiston. It is part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).Barley-with-Wheatley Booth was once a township in the ancient parish of Whalley. This became a civil parish in 1866, forming part of the Burnley Rural District from 1894.Along with Higham-with-West Close Booth, Goldshaw Booth and Roughlee Booth, the parish forms the Higham with Pendleside ward of Pendle Borough Council.According to the United Kingdom Census 2011, the parish has a population of 298, an increase from 271 in the 2001 census.Barrow, Lancashire
Barrow is a village and civil parish in the Ribble Valley district in Lancashire, England, situated between Whalley and Clitheroe and bypassed by the A59. It has a primary school, a Chinese takeaway and two parks. The village is well served by local bus routes, giving direct access to many parts of Lancashire. New development has taken place in the area between Whalley Road (the former route of the A59) and the bypass.
It is the birthplace of Lancashire and England cricketer Cyril Washbrook, and there are two streets in the village in his name.
According to the United Kingdom Census 2011, 646 people lived in the built-up area of Barrow village.Barrow Parish Council was created in 2015, previously the village was in Wiswell civil parish.Along with Wiswell, Pendleton, Mearley and Worston, the parish forms the Wiswell and Pendleton ward of Ribble Valley Borough Council.Blackburn Hundred
Blackburn Hundred (also known as Blackburnshire) is a historic sub-division of the county of Lancashire, in northern England. Its chief town was Blackburn, in the northwest of the hundred. It covered an area similar to modern East Lancashire, including the current districts of Ribble Valley (excluding the part north of the River Ribble and east of the Hodder, which was then in Yorkshire), Pendle (excluding West Craven, also in Yorkshire), Burnley, Rossendale, Hyndburn, Blackburn with Darwen, and South Ribble (east from Walton-le-dale and Lostock Hall).
Much of the area is hilly, bordering on the Pennines, with Pendle Hill in the midst of it, and was historically sparsely populated. It included several important royal forests. In the 18th century several towns in the area became industrialized and densely populated, including Blackburn itself, and Burnley.Chatburn
Chatburn is a village, civil parish and electoral ward in the Ribble Valley, East Lancashire, England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 1,102. It is situated in a hollow between two ridges north-east of Clitheroe, just off the A59 road. It lies near Pendle Hill, which is to the east of the village. The River Ribble flows to the west of the town. The town is approximately 400 feet above sea level.
The parish adjoins the Ribble Valley parishes of Grindleton, Sawley, Rimington, Downham, Worston, Clitheroe and West Bradford.Craven Basin
The Craven Basin is a sedimentary basin in northern England, having the shape of a southerly-tilted graben which was active during the Carboniferous period. It is one of a series of such basins which developed across northern England in this period separating upstanding blocks which were typically underlain by buoyant granites. The basin trends roughly east–west and is bounded by the Lake District block to the northwest, the Askrigg Block to the northeast and the Central Lancashire High to the south. One distinct section of the basin is a half graben which contains over 3km thickness of late Devonian to Courceyan strata and is referred to as the Bowland Sub-basin. These basins resulted from the crust of the region being subjected to a north–south lateral tension regime which began in the late Devonian and lasted through until the Visean.Downham, Lancashire
Downham is a village and civil parish in Lancashire, England. It is in the Ribble Valley district and at the United Kingdom 2001 census had a population of 156. The 2011 Census includes neighbouring Twiston giving a total for both parishes of 214. The village is on the north side of Pendle Hill off the A59 road about 3 miles (4.8 km) from Clitheroe. Much of the parish, including the village is part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). It adjoins the Ribble Valley parishes of Rimington, Twiston, Worston, Chatburn and Sawley, and the Pendle parish of Barley-with-Wheatley Booth.John Brogden (industrialist)
John Brogden (2 February 1798 – 9 December 1869) was a cleansing, building and railway contractor, railway promoter, a miner of coal and iron and an iron smelter. He was brought up on a farm near Clitheroe, Lancashire. As a young man he migrated to a rapidly growing Manchester and applied his farmer's knowledge of horses as a cleansing contractor. He worked in partnership with Joseph Whitworth to use the latter's patent cleansing machines. He also started the same business in Westminster. He seems to have extended his contracting work to building, for in 1838 he obtained contracts with the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company to build their Manchester station (now Manchester Victoria station) and the viaduct from there to Miles Platting. Other railway contracts followed.As the eldest four of his five sons came of age and joined him to form John Brogden and Sons he took iron-mining leases in Furness. They quickly saw that a rail link from Furness to the rest of England and Wales was critical to the industrial development of Furness so they promoted the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway to run across Morecambe Bay from Carnforth to Ulverston, receiving the Royal Assent in 1851. This was an innovative, challenging and risky project but it was eventually completed in 1857 and soon purchased by the Furness Railway.Beginning in 1853 the family expanded into South Wales buying mining leases and an Iron Works in the Llynfi and Ogmore Valleys. They developed these vigorously, also building a railway in the Ogmore Valley and a new harbour at Porthcawl.From an early age Brogden was a Methodist and in later life he contributed generously in time and money to Methodist and other good causes.When John Brogden died in 1869, his business was outwardly strong and profitable. However it failed spectacularly after ten years, under the leadership of Alexander Brogden, the eldest surviving son.Listed buildings in Worston
Worston is a civil parish in Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. It contains three listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. All of the listed buildings are designated at Grade II, the lowest of the three grades, which is applied to "buildings of national importance and special interest". The parish include the small village of Worston and surrounding countryside. The listed buildings consist of two houses and a garden wall.Mearley Brook
Mearley Brook is a minor river in Lancashire, England. It is approximately 4.5 miles (7.2 km) long and has a catchment area of 8.79 square miles (22.77 km2).The stream rises on Pendle Hill and heads northwest, descending through Mearley Clough, passing Little Mearley Hall and crossing under the A59 Clitheroe Bypass. Close to Upbrooks Farm it is met by Worston Brook and turns to the southeast. Nearby it met by a small brook from Bracken Hey and the culvert of another at the Waterloo Bridge, as it enters the centre of Clitheroe. At the Shaw Bridge it is joined by Shaw Brook and continues to the east of the hill topped by Clitheroe Castle. In the south of the town, the river flows into the mill lodge of the old Primrose Mill and then into Pendleton Brook nearby at Lower Standen Hey, just before that river joins the River Ribble.Mearley (also the name of the civil parish where the river begins) is thought to be from the Old English mǣre lēah, meaning the meadow or clearing at the boundary. Brook (OE broc) is a common name for a stream, most often found in southern and central England.Nicholas Assheton
Nicholas Assheton (1590 – 1625), a country squire and writer who lived at Downham, Lancashire, near Clitheroe, is noteworthy on account of a brief diary which he left illustrating the character of the country life of that part of West Lancashire which is associated with the poet Spenser. He belonged to a branch of the Assheton family of Middleton, in the same county, and was the son of Richard Assheton, of Downham.Pendleton, Lancashire
Pendleton is a small village and civil parish in Ribble Valley, within the county of Lancashire, England. It is close to the towns of Whalley and Clitheroe. The parish lies on the north west side of Pendle Hill below the Nick o' Pendle. The village is just off the A59, Liverpool to York main road, since the construction of the Clitheroe By-Pass. Older roads through the parish include one from Clitheroe to Whalley which passes through the Standen area and another to Burnley which passes Pendleton Hall.Pendleton Brook runs down the centre of Main Street in the village. The village pub, the Swan with Two Necks won the Campaign for Real Ale's (CAMRA) national pub of the year award (2013).According to the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 203, however the United Kingdom Census 2011 grouped the parish with Mearley and Worston (2001 pop. 25 and 76), giving a total of 349.The parish adjoins the other Ribble Valley parishes of Clitheroe, Mearley, Sabden, Wiswell, Barrow and Little Mitton. Higher areas of the parish, west of the village are part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).Pendleton Brook
Pendleton Brook is a small river in Lancashire. The brook rises on Pendleton Moor and flows through the village of Pendleton, travelling north west to Higher Standen, then west past Standen Hall. From there, Pendleton Brook flows south of Clitheroe before meeting the River Ribble near Siddows.Reef knoll
A reef knoll is a land-based landform that comprises an immense pile of calcareous material that accumulated on a previously existing ancient sea floor. At the time of its accumulation it may have had enough structure from organisms such as sponges to have been free-standing and to withstand the sea currents as material accumulated, and was likely an atoll. Another possibility is the remains of deep water coral. Such structures are thus often fossil-rich.Ribble Valley
Ribble Valley is a local government district with borough status within the non-metropolitan county of Lancashire, England. The total population of the non-metropolitan district at the 2011 Census was 57,132. Its council is based in Clitheroe. Other places include Whalley, Longridge and Ribchester. The area is so called due to the River Ribble which flows in its final stages towards its estuary near Preston. The area is popular with tourists who enjoy the area's natural unspoilt beauty, much of which lies within the Forest of Bowland.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the municipal borough of Clitheroe, Longridge urban district, Clitheroe Rural District, part of Blackburn Rural District, part of Burnley Rural District, and part of Preston Rural District, as well as the Bowland Rural District from the West Riding of Yorkshire, hence the addition of the Red Rose of Lancaster and White Rose of York on the council's coat of arms.River Sow
The River Sow is a tributary of the River Trent in Staffordshire, England, and is the river that flows through Stafford.Stafford Rural District
Stafford Rural District was a rural district in the county of Staffordshire. It was created in 1894 and abolished in 1974 by virtue of the Local Government Act 1972. On formation it contained the following civil parishes:
Hopton and Coton
Salt and Enson
Weston under Trent
YarletIn 1934 Chartley Holme, Worston and Yarlet were removed whilst Church Eaton, Forton, Gnosall and High Offley were added.Wiswell
Wiswell is a small village and civil parish in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England, close to Whalley and Clitheroe at the foot of Wiswell Moor.
At the 2011 Census, it had a population of 967.The parish adjoins the other Ribble Valley parishes of Pendleton, Sabden, Whalley and Barrow. Higher areas of the parish, east of the village, are part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
Geography of the Borough of Ribble Valley