Wollaton is a suburb and former parish in the western part of Nottingham, England. Wollaton has two Wards in the City of Nottingham (Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey and Wollaton West) with a total population as at the 2011 census of 24,693. It is home to Wollaton Hall with its museum, deer park, lake, walks and golf course.
|Population||24,693 (2xwards. 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
The centre of Wollaton village, the original heart of the suburb, has remained relatively unchanged over the past few hundred years and is dominated by the Admiral Rodney public house and the Anglican church of St Leonard dating back to the 13th century. It also features historic cottages, an Elizabethan dovecote and a water pump. The village was incorporated into the City of Nottingham in 1933, with urban development starting shortly afterwards. Most areas of the former parish were built-up by the end of the 1960s.
Wollaton proper is entirely situated in the City of Nottingham, although a small part of the Broxtowe borough may be referred to as Wollaton by local people. Other areas of the Nottingham which were not in the original parish of Wollaton may also be described as Wollaton, notably those parts of the former parish of Radford known historically as Radford Woodhouses, and the part of Wollaton Park which was used for housing (usually called the Wollaton Park Estate) which was primarily in the former parish of Lenton.
The current city ward boundaries divide Wollaton into Wollaton West, and Wollaton East with Lenton Abbey.
It is considered one of the most desirable parts of the city in which to live, with relatively high house prices. This is largely due to the good quality schools (although getting a place is troublesome), traditional public houses and good access to the M1 via the A52 to the South and the A610 to the North.
As a tribute to two of Nottingham's favourite sporting stars, Wollaton is home to the Torvill and Dean estate, on the former site of Wollaton Colliery and Canal. Road names include Torvill Drive, Jayne Close, Bolero Close (named after their Gold medal winning performance song, Boléro), and Crawford Close (named after Michael Crawford who assisted Torvill and Dean in developing their winning dance). Another famous Nottingham sportman, swimmer Tom Blower, also has his name adopted by a street in Wollaton (although he came from Hyson Green)
The suburb's main shopping area is located along Bramcote Lane about a kilometre west of the historic centre. Most of the businesses are local family-run shops, although recently both small co-op and Sainbury's stores have opened. Also in Wollaton are a small cluster of shops at the Crown Island (a major roundabout nearer the Nottingham city centre) which includes a post office, florist and Pizza Hut delivery.
Wollaton itself stretches across a large area, from Torvill Drive and Russell Drive near the Bilborough area in the north, down to Bramcote Lane, Woodbank Drive and Appledore Avenue in the south, stretching as far south as the woodland now called 'Bramcote Ridge'. West to east it stretches from Trowell Moor and Balloon Woods on the west, across to Sutton Passey's Crescent and the former gatehouse to Wollaton Park, Lenton Lodge on Derby Road in the east.
The local Middleton Primary and Nursery School along with Fernwood Juniors', Fernwood Infants' and The Fernwood School  are some of the best performing schools within Nottingham City and even the UK. The three Fernwood schools are the a family of academies all within close proximity. The nearest sixth form college for post-16 education is Bilborough College in Bilborough. Also in and around Wollaton are Southwold Primary School and Firbeck Academy, a school for the deaf and aurally impaired.
The edge of Wollaton is also home to the Martin's Pond Local Nature Reserve which is jointly maintained by Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust. The lake is maintained by Wollaton Piscatorial Club which provides a haven for plant and animal life and a wide variety of course fishing (including some rarer species).
The area is also home to Wollaton Library which a few years ago underwent a £250,000 refurbishment to form a new children's library and extend meeting facilities, the works were carried out by Nottingham city council and completed by local contractor GPS Construction (Nottingham) ltd
Wollaton Park has also been host to many large events and concerts, including the once annual City in the Park events which ran during the 1990s and featured popular pop acts of the time such as Peter Andre, Five, Gina G and The Bangles. A new festival, Splendour in Nottingham, was relaunched in 2008 and is slowly developing into a popular festival, with large names such as Calvin Harris and The Pet Shop Boys performing there in 2010, and Dizzee Rascal in 2012. The park also hosts the city's annual War Veterans Memorial Weekend, being one of the largest memorial events outside London and including fly-overs by wartime aircraft. Also, the park hosts other major annual events such as cross-county running championships, dog shows, steam shows and the annual Nottingham Motor Show. The Park is also where the sledgers of Nottingham descend whenever there is snowfall, taking advantage of the park's large hill.
Wollaton is also noted for the existence of one of the earliest recorded railway lines in the world, the Wollaton Wagonway. The wagonway ran between nearby Strelley and Wollaton. Horse-drawn coal wagons travelled to their destination on wooden railway lines.
There are five churches in Wollaton:
The churches jointly publish a monthly magazine called Link.
Coal has always been an important presence in the suburb and revenue from Wollaton Colliery was a major source of income to the Willoughby family, who built and owned Wollaton Hall up until the 20th century. The colliery closed after in 1965 and employment today is primarily in the service, university and public sectors, with many of the local residents commuting to work in the Nottingham and Derby area.
Wollaton Hall and Bramcote Football Club (founded 1984) is a FA Charter Standard Club with the aim of providing a safe and supportive environment where boys and girls between the ages of 6 and 18 can enjoy playing football. Formerly based at Wollaton Park, the club is now based at Highfields Park. Some of WH&BFC teams play their home games at nearby Moor Lane,Bramcote. Most teams train at Fernwood Comprehensive School. The club currently has over 300 registered players and teams compete in the Notts Ladies & Girls League, the Young Elizabethan League, Notts Youth League and Derby City League.
Wollaton FC were formed in 1954 and play at Wollaton Sports Association Ground sharing the ground with Wollaton Cricket Club. The Club is sited on land that was sold to the village for sports and recreational activities by the Middleton family just after the 2nd World War. The Club Badge depicts the Elizabethan architecture of Wollaton Hall. Originally in the Midland Amateur Alliance, Wollaton joined the Notts Alliance in 1990. The club enjoyed a long and successful spell in the MAA and the 3rd and 4th teams still play in that League. Season 2004/5 saw Wollaton become one of the founder members of the Notts Senior League.
The 2007 elections to Nottingham City Council were held on 3 May 2007 to elect all 55 members to the Council.2011 Nottingham City Council election
The 2011 elections to Nottingham City Council were held on 5 May 2011 to elect all 55 members to the Council.
The previous election was held in 2007 and the results were: Labour 42, Conservatives 7, Liberal Democrats 6. At the time of the 2011 election one Labour councillor, Mick Newton, had left the party and was an independent councillor. This left Labour with 41 councillors at the time of the election.
No ward boundary changes took place between the 2007 and 2011 elections.
The result of the election was notable for completely wiping-out the Liberal Democrats in Nottingham. The Conservative Party lost two seats, whilst Labour strengthened their position.2015 Nottingham City Council election
The 2015 elections to Nottingham City Council were held on 7 May 2015 to elect all 55 members to the Council across 20 wards.2019 Nottingham City Council election
The 2019 elections to Nottingham City Council were held on 2 May 2019 to elect all 55 members to the council across 20 wards. The Conservative candidate for Wollaton West, Carl Husted, was suspended by the Conservative Party after comparing people who voted for Remain in the EU Referendum to those who voted for the Nazis.Baron Middleton
Baron Middleton, of Middleton in the County of Warwick, is a title in the Peerage of Great Britain. It was created in 1711 for Sir Thomas Willoughby, 2nd Baronet, who had previously represented Nottinghamshire and Newark in Parliament. The Willoughby Baronetcy, of Wollaton in the County of Nottingham, had been created in the Baronetage of England in 1677 for his elder brother Francis Willoughby, with special remainder to the latter's only brother Thomas, who succeeded him in 1688. Lord Middleton was succeeded by his eldest son, the second Baron. He sat as Member of Parliament for Nottinghamshire and Tamworth. On the death of his younger son, the fourth Baron (who had succeeded his elder brother), the line of the eldest son of the first Baron failed. He was succeeded by his cousin Henry Middleton, the fifth Baron. He was the son of the Hon. Thomas Willoughby (c. 1694–1742), second son of the first Baron. On the death of his son, the sixth Baron, this line of the family also failed.The late Baron was succeeded by his cousin Digby Willoughby, the seventh Baron. He was the son of a younger son of the aforementioned the Hon. Thomas Willoughby, second son of the first Baron. He was a captain in the Royal Navy. He died unmarried and was succeeded by his cousin, the eighth Baron. He was the grandson of Reverend the Hon. James Willoughby, younger son of the aforesaid the Hon. Thomas Willoughby, second son of the first Baron. He was succeeded by his eldest son, the ninth Baron, who in his turn was succeeded by his younger brother, the 10th Baron. On the latter's death the titles passed to his second but eldest surviving son, the 11th Baron. He was Lord Lieutenant of the East Riding of Yorkshire. Since 2011, the titles are held by his grandson, the 13th Baron.Extensive estate and personal papers of the Willoughby family are held in the Middleton collection at the department of Manuscripts and Special Collections, The University of Nottingham.
The current family seat is Birdsall Hall, near Malton, North Yorkshire. The Middleton family owned Wollaton Hall, a stately home near Nottingham on which Mentmore Towers was based, and Middleton Hall in Warwickshire until they were sold by the 11th Baron in the 1920s.Fernwood School
The Fernwood School is an academy based in Wollaton, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England.It was previously known as Fernwood Comprehensive School.In 2018 it was granted funding to expand to take an additional 453 pupils.Jerry Lepine
Jeremy John "Jerry" Lepine (born 24 April 1956) is a British Church of England priest. He has been Dean of Bradford since 14 July 2013.Educated at St John's College, Nottingham and ordained in 1985, he began his career with a curacy at Trinity St Michael, Harrow. He was Team Vicar at Horley from 1988 to 1995; and Evangelism Advisor for the Croydon Area Mission Team from then until 2002 when he became Rector of St Leonard, Wollaton, a post he held until his appointment as Dean of Bradford.Lenton Abbey
Lenton Abbey is a large housing estate, forming a neighbourhood in Nottingham, close to Wollaton, Beeston and the University of Nottingham.List of museums in Nottinghamshire
This list of museums in Nottinghamshire, England contains museums which are defined for this context as institutions (including nonprofit organizations, government entities, and private businesses) that collect and care for objects of cultural, artistic, scientific, or historical interest and make their collections or related exhibits available for public viewing. Also included are non-profit art galleries and university art galleries. Museums that exist only in cyberspace (i.e., virtual museums) are not included.
To use the sortable table, click on the icons at the top of each column to sort that column in alphabetical order; click again for reverse alphabetical order.Nottingham Bluecoat Academy
Bluecoat Academy is a Church of England voluntary aided secondary school in the Aspley area of Nottingham, England, dating back to 1706. In 2007, the school had 1550 students aged six to eighteen, including 250 Sixth form students. Prior to receiving Academy status in January 2012, the school was titled The Nottingham Bluecoat School and Technology College.Since 2004, the school has had two campuses, one in Aspley and one in Wollaton, and, since 2014, has sponsored the Bluecoat Beechdale Academy.Nottinghamshire Senior League
The Nottinghamshire Senior League is an English football league. It was founded in 2004 to replace the Notts. Football Alliance League as the top league within the county. The league has three divisions – the Premier Division (which stands at level 11 of the English football league system), Division One and Division Two.Percival Willoughby
Sir Percival Willoughby (died 23 August 1643) of Wollaton Hall, Nottinghamshire was a prominent land owner, businessman, and entrepreneur involved during his lifetime variously in mining, iron smelting, and glass making enterprises in Nottinghamshire. He was also an important investor in the Newfoundland Company.
He was the eldest son of Thomas Willoughby of Bore Place, Chiddingstone, Kent and educated at Furnival's Inn and Lincoln's Inn (1579). He married Bridget Willoughby, his second cousin, the daughter of Sir Francis Willoughby, builder of Wollaton Hall. She, as co-heiress of her father, inherited Wollaton Hall. Sir Percival sold all the lands he had inherited from his father in Kent to pay off some of the enormous debts the construction of the Hall had entailed. Sir Percival and his wife Lady Bridget eventually occupied the new building but in later generations it was never the principal home of the Willoughby family. Middleton Hall in Warwickshire was the family's usual residence.
Willoughby was knighted by King James I on 20 April 1603 at Worksop and shortly afterwards was returned as member of Parliament for Nottinghamshire and Tamworth in King James' first parliament, choosing to sit for Nottinghamshire. He was returned again and sat for Tamworth in 1614.
Percival Willoughby's business partner, Huntingdon Beaumont, was responsible for constructing the Wollaton Wagonway.Robert Smythson
Robert Smythson (1535 – 15 October 1614) was an English architect. Smythson designed a number of notable houses during the Elizabethan era. Little is known about his birth and upbringing—his first mention in historical records comes in 1556, when he was stonemason for the house at Longleat, built by Sir John Thynne (ca. 1512-1580). He later designed Hardwick Hall, Wollaton Hall, Burton Agnes Hall, and other significant projects. Historically, a number of other Elizabethan houses, such as Gawthorpe Hall have been attributed to him on stylistic grounds.In Britain at this time, the profession of architect was in its most embryonic stage of development. Smythson was trained as a stonemason, and by the 1560s was travelling England as a master mason leading his own team of masons. In 1568 he moved from London to Wiltshire to commence work on the new house at Longleat for Sir John Thynne; he worked there for almost eighteen years, carving personally much of the external detail, and he is believed to have had a strong influence on the overall design of the building. In 1580 he moved to his next project—Wollaton Hall. At Wollaton he was clearly more a "surveyor" (the term at that time for an architect) than a stonemason, and was in charge of overall construction.Smythson's style was more than a fusion of influences; although Renaissance, especially Sebastiano Serlio, Flemish and English Gothic notes can be seen in his work, he produced some ingenious adaptations, resulting in classically detailed, innovative domestic buildings. Hardwick in particular is noted for its use of glass.
Smythson died at Wollaton in 1614 and is buried in the parish church there; his memorial includes these words "Architecter (sic) and Surveyor unto the most worthy house of Wollaton with divers others of great account." His son John Smythson (Bolsover Castle) and grandson Huntingdon Smithson (as he spelt the family name) were also architects.St Leonard's Church, Wollaton
St. Leonard's Church, Wollaton is a Church of England parish church in Wollaton.
The church is Grade II* listed by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport as it is a particularly significant building of more than local interest.St Mary's Church, Wollaton Park
St. Mary's Church, Wollaton Park, is a parish church in the Church of England. It is located in Nottingham.Vicky McClure
Vicky Lee McClure (born 8 May 1983) is an English actress best known for her roles as Detective Inspector Kate Fleming in the BBC series Line of Duty and Lol Jenkins in Shane Meadows's film This Is England (2006) and its Channel 4 spin-off mini-series’ This is England '86 (2010), This Is England '88 (2011) and This Is England '90 (2015). Before This is England she appeared in another of Shane Meadows' films, A Room for Romeo Brass (1999), where she played the title character's sister Ladine. McClure won the RTS Award and BAFTA Television Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Lol in This is England '86 in 2011.
She is also well known for her work as Karen White in ITV's Broadchurch. Her other roles include Filth and Wisdom (2008), Hummingbird (2013), and Svengali (2013) as well as co-starring in BBC's The Replacement (2017).Wollaton Hall
Wollaton Hall is an Elizabethan country house of the 1580s standing on a small but prominent hill in Wollaton Park, Nottingham, England. The house is now Nottingham Natural History Museum, with Nottingham Industrial Museum in the outbuildings. The surrounding parkland has a herd of deer, and is regularly used for large-scale outdoor events such as rock concerts, sporting events and festivals.
Wollaton is a classic prodigy house, "the architectural sensation of its age", though its builder was not a leading courtier and its construction stretched the resources he mainly obtained from coalmining; the original family home was at the bottom of the hill. Though much re-modelled inside, the "startlingly bold" exterior remains largely intact.Wollaton Hall was built between 1580 and 1588 for Sir Francis Willoughby and is believed to be designed by the Elizabethan architect, Robert Smythson, who had by then completed Longleat, and was to go on to design Hardwick Hall. The general plan of Wollaton is comparable to these, and was widely adopted for other houses, but the exuberant decoration of Wollaton is distinctive, and it is possible that Willoughby played some part in creating it. The style is an advanced Elizabethan with early Jacobean elements.Wollaton Park
Wollaton Park is a deer park and home of Wollaton Hall, Nottingham Natural History Museum and Nottingham Industrial Museum in the heart of Nottingham, England.Wollaton Wagonway
The Wollaton Wagonway (or Waggonway), built between October 1603 and 1604 in the East Midlands of England by Huntingdon Beaumont in partnership with Sir Percival Willoughby, has sometimes been credited as the world's first overground wagonway and therefore regarded as a significant step in the development of railways. Its primacy has been recently questioned because of a wagonway built at Prescot, near Liverpool, sometime around 1600 and possibly as early as 1594. Owned by Philip Layton, this line carried coal from a pit near Prescot Hall to a terminus about half a mile away. Also, a wagonway at Broseley in Shropshire was probably earlier.The wagonway was the earliest form of railway. Although modern historians are uncertain as to whether it evolved or was invented, it is known that, between the Autumn of 1603 and 1 October 1604, a wagonway had been built near Nottingham, by Huntingdon Beaumont who was the partner of Sir Percival Willoughby, the local land-owner and owner of Wollaton Hall. It ran for approximately two miles (3 km) from Strelley to Wollaton to assist the haulage of coal. The actual track gauge is unknown but some websites state it was 4 ft 6 in (1,372 mm). No documentary evidence exists to support such statements although Lewis' work (1970) on early wooden railways, and the practicalities of horse haulage, suggest a gauge close to that dimension is plausible.
The above is from Sir Percival Willoughby's agreement with Huntingdon Beaumont dated 1 October 1604. Sir Percival was Lord of the Manor of Wollaton and Huntingdon Beaumont was the lessee of the Strelley coal pits. They worked the Strelley mines in an equal partnership.
Comparatively little is known of the wagonway. It cost £172 (equivalent to £39,892 in 2018), and ended at Wollaton Lane End, from where most of the coal was taken onwards by road to Trent Bridge and then downstream on the River Trent by barge. The wagons or carriages were drawn by horses on wooden rails. The Strelley mines were worked only until about 1620, by which time all readily recoverable coal had probably been mined. The wagonway was presumably then abandoned.
The success of the Wollaton Wagonway led to Huntingdon Beaumont building other wagonways for his other mining leases near Blyth in Northumberland. A continuous evolution of railways can be traced back to the Wollaton Wagonway.
Destinations from Wollaton
|Areas of Nottingham|
|Boroughs or districts|