Winnisquam Lake is in Belknap County in the Lakes Region of central New Hampshire, United States, in the communities of Meredith, Laconia, Sanbornton, Belmont, and Tilton. At 4,214 acres (1,705 ha), it is the fourth-largest lake entirely in New Hampshire. The lake is roughly triangular in shape, with the vertexes pointing north, east, and south. The lake lies along the path of the Winnipesaukee River, which enters the lake from its eastern corner and carries water from Lake Winnipesaukee via Paugus Bay and Opechee Bay. The river also flows south out of Winnisquam's southern corner, eventually joining the Merrimack River. The lake extends several miles north from the course of the Winnipesaukee River, which forms the lake's southeastern side, with the northern point being formed by the confluence of several smaller creeks near the village of Meredith Center. The lake has a maximum depth of 170 feet (52 m).
The lake is only a few miles from Interstate 93 via Exit 20 for U.S. Route 3 and New Hampshire Route 11. Winnisquam has two basins, a larger northern basin and a smaller southern one, with a bridge carrying Routes 3 and 11 separating them. The village of Winnisquam is at the bridge.
The Abenaki people occupied the Winnisquam and Winnipesaukee area until colonists arrived in the mid-18th century. Winnisquam's surrounding county, Belknap, was founded in 1840 and named after Jeremy Belknap, a Congregational clergyman and prominent historian.
Winnisquam Lake is home to many species of fish. Cold water species include rainbow trout, lake trout, landlocked salmon, and whitefish. The warm water species include small- and largemouth bass, pickerel, horned pout, white perch, northern pike, walleye, black crappie, bluegill, and yellow perch. Remote lake and brook trout stocking is common when authorities find it necessary.
Location in the state of New Hampshire
|Location||Belknap County, New Hampshire|
|Primary inflows||Winnipesaukee River|
|Primary outflows||Winnipesaukee River|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Max. length||10.5 miles (16.9 km)|
|Max. width||1.5 miles (2.4 km)|
|Surface area||4,214 acres (17.05 km2)|
|Max. depth||170 feet (52 m)|
|Shore length1||30 miles (48 km)|
|Surface elevation||482 feet (147 m)|
|Islands||Loon Island; Three Islands; Pot Island; Hog Island; Mohawk Island|
|Settlements||Meredith; Laconia; Sanbornton; Belmont; Tilton (villages of Winnisquam and Lochmere)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Ahern State Park is a 128-acre (52 ha) state protected area in Laconia on Winnisquam Lake in New Hampshire's Lakes Region. It is open year round and offers hiking, non-motorized boating, biking, and fishing. It features 3,500 feet (1,100 m) of lake shoreline.Belmont, New Hampshire
Belmont is a town in Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 7,356 at the 2010 census.The primary settlement in town, where 1,301 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as the Belmont census-designated place (CDP) and includes the densely populated portion of the town near the intersection of New Hampshire Route 106 and New Hampshire Route 140.Defunct placenames of New Hampshire
Defunct placenames are those no longer used officially.
Many populated places in New Hampshire once prospered and are now gone, subsumed by adjacent cities or renamed. Similarly, many geophysical features have had their names changed over time. This is an alphabetized list of the names of such places that once appeared on the maps, along with references to their present names, if any. Although no longer officially recognized, some of these may yet have local significance.
Adams: Original 1800 name of Jackson until 1829.
Ammortoosack: Early alternative spelling for Ammonoosuc.
Amoriscoggan River: Early alternate spelling for Androscoggin River.
Appleton Island: Early name of Star Island, also called Gosport.
Arlington: Now Winchester, then part of Massachusetts.
Atworth: Early alternative spelling of Acworth.
Barker's Location: Triangular portion now of Lancaster north of Jefferson bounded to east by Kilkenny.
Bellows Town: Also Great Falls, now Walpole.
Berlin Falls: Portion of Berlin east of Androscoggin River (1893 topo).
Blake's Pond: Now Mirror Lake in Whitefield, then known as Whitefields
Bloody Point: Portion of Dover (and scene of early settler boundary disputes), which became Newington in 1764
Boyle: Original name of Gilsum (in 1752) before being re-granted in 1763
Bretton Woods or Britton Woods: Original 1772 name of Carroll, also shown as Breton Woods. See also: Bretton Woods, now an area of Carroll.
Briton's Farm: Early name of Litchfield also Natticutt.
Burton: Early name of Albany until 1833. Included present town of Madison.
Camden: 1768 name of Washington, prior to 1776.
Campbell's Gore: Until 1798, now Windsor.
Cardigan: 1769 name of Orange.
Carlisle (also Carlisle No. 1): Now SE portion of Pittsburg, east of Connecticut River, included portion of earlier Clarksville.
Charmingfare: The 1748 name of Candia, part of Chester until 1763.
Chester: Early name of Bristol, also part of Bridgewater.
Chiswick: Early (1764) name of Apthorp, which split in 1784 to become Littleton and Dalton. Also shown as Cheswick.
Cochecho: Early name of Dover, specifically its mill town district.
Cockburne: 1770 name of Columbia until 1811.
Cockermouth Grant: Early name of portion of present Hebron that was not part of Plymouth, which became Groton
Colebrook Academy Grant: Now part of Pittsburg between Indian Stream and Halls Stream, approximately 15 sq. mi, shown on 1854 and 1892 maps.
Coleburne: Early name of Colebrook until 1795.
Concord: 1763 name of Gunthwaite (1768), now Lisbon, included Sugar Hill and Streeter Pond.
Contoocook: Early name of Boscawen until 1760.
Coventry: 1764 name of Benton, until 1840.
Dantzic (or Dantzick): Early name of Newbury until renamed Fishersfield in 1778 until renamed in 1837; also part of New London.
Dartmouth: 1765 name for Jefferson until 1796.
Derryfield: Name under which Manchester was incorporated in 1757, including a part called Harrytown, until the name changed in 1810.
Dresden: Early name of Hanover Plains, portion of Hanover.
Dryden: Early name of Colebrook before it was re-granted in 1770.
Dunstable: Early name for Nashua in 1733 until 1837.
Durand: An early name for the town of Randolph until 1824.
Duxbury School Farm: Portion of early Milford.
East Town: Now Wakefield.
Fairfield: 1804 name of Woodstock, also Peeling. May have included Benton.
Fifteen Mile Falls: Portion of Connecticut River from mouth of Passumpsic River in Monroe to Johns River in Dalton, now forming several reservoirs behind hydro-electric dams.
First Grant to Dartmouth College: Now part of Clarksville.
Fishersfield: Early name of Newbury, also called Dantzic. Incorporated in 1778. Moved from Hillsborough County to Merrimack County in 1823.
Fort Dummer: Early name of Hinsdale. Also shown as Hensdale.
Fort Wentworth: Early name of Groveton. Also shown as Stonington.
Frank Mountain: Early name of Cannon Mountain in Franconia.
Freetown: 1762 name for Raymond until 1764, part of Chester.
Gerrish: Early name of Boscawen.
Gillis and Foss Grant: Early name of Waterville Valley, also known historically as Waterville.
Gonic Village: Portion of early Rochester, short for Squamanogonic.
Gosport: Early name of village on Star Island in the Isles of Shoals, also called Appleton Island.
Gunthwaite: Early name of Lisbon until 1824.
Great Bay: Early name of Winnisquam Lake.
Great Falls: Early name of Somersworth, specifically its mill town district.
Great Falls: Now Walpole, also Bellows Town.
Great Haystack Mountain: Now called Mount Lafayette.
Great Island: Early name of New Castle until 1693.
Great Meadow (or Great Meadows): Now Westmoreland, Number Two (Massachusetts).
Halestown: 1740 name of Weare.
Hawke: Original name of Danville, when it was split off from Kingston in 1760, changed in 1836.
Hilton's Purchase: Also known as part of Swampscott Patent, now Stratham.
Hubbard (also Hubbards No. 3): Now SE portion of Pittsburg, north of Webster No. 2 and east of Connecticut River.
Hurd's Location: 1769 name of what is now Monroe.
Indian Stream: Temporarily independent republic annexed and incorporated as Pittsburg in 1840.
Ipswich Canada: 1749 name of New Ipswich until 1762.
Island Pond: Now Hazens Pond, in Whitefield (1892 map).
Johnson: Extinct logging town, in Lincoln near Indian Head Rock Formation in lower Franconia Notch.
Kearsarge: The 1775 name of Wilmot.
Kohafser: Early name of area near Lancaster.
Kusumpe Pond: Early name of Squam Lake.
Lane's New-Boston: 1736 name of New Boston until 1763.
Leavitt's Town: Early name of Effingham.
Lime: Early spelling of Lyme.
Limerick: Now Stoddard.
Lloyd Hills: 1774 name of Bethlehem. Also shown as simply Lloyd.. Shown as Bethlehem by 1817.
Long Bay: Now known as Paugus Bay in Laconia.
Long Pond: Now known as Forest Lake in Whitefield.
Long Meadows: Part of Chester until separately incorporated in 1845.
Lower Ashuelot: 1733 name of Swanzey until 1753 grant by New Hampshire.
Lower Cohos: Original name of Haverhill.
Margallaway River: Historical name of Magalloway River.
Maynesborough (or Maynesborough Plantation): Name of Berlin until 1829. Also shown as Mainsburg.
Middle Monadnock: Early name of Jaffrey, also known as Number Two.
Mile Slip: Early name of portion of Milford.
Monadnock No. 1: Name of Rindge until 1768, also known as Rowley Canada.
Monadnock No. 3: 1749 name of Dublin.
Monadnock No. 4: 1760 name of Fitzwilliam.
Monadnock No. 5: Early name of Marlborough from 1754.
Monadnock No. 6: Early name of Nelson before it was renamed Packersfield in 1774, and then Nelson in 1814.
Monson: Defunct town on what is now the border of Hollis and Milford.
Mooselock Mountain: Early alternate of Moosilauke.
Morristown: 1764 name of Franconia.
Moultonborough Addition: Portion of Moultonborough Gore that became New Hampton in 1763.
Narragansett Number Five: See Souhegan East, now Bedford.
Narragansett Number Three: Amherst, also known as Souhegan West.
Nash & Sawyer Location: Portion of Crawford Notch annexed to Carroll.
Nashville: Northern portion of present-day Nashua, divided off in 1842.
Natticutt: Early name of Litchfield, also Briton's Farm.
New Amesbury: Now Warner, also called Number One in 1735.
New Boston Addition: 1760 name of Francestown.
New Chester: Early name of Hill until 1837.
New Garden: Early name of Ossipee.
New Grantham: Temporary name (1786 to 1818) of Grantham.
New Durham Gore: Alton.
New Holderness: Early name for what is now Ashland.
New Hopkinton: Early name of Hopkinton.
New-Salem: Early name of Meredith. Included Laconia.
New Stratford: Early name of North Stratford. Also shown as Woodbury.
Newtown: Name of Alstead in 1763.
Nisitisset: Early name of Hollis, later becoming West Parish of Dunstable, Massachusetts.
North Effingham: Early name of Freedom including part of Ossipee Gore.
Northam: Early name of Dover.
North Hill: Parish of Hampton, which became North Hampton in 1742.
Norway Plains: Portion of early Rochester forming the principal village.
Notch Mountain: Now called Mount Webster.
Nottingham West: Part of early Hudson and Nashua, east of the Merrimack and west of Pelham.
Number One: Original name of Mason. Also the name of Warner in 1735, later New Amesbury. Also 1752 name of Chesterfield.
Number Two: 1741 name of Jaffrey, also called Middle Monadnock. Also name of Westmoreland, then part of Massachusetts, later called Great Meadow.
Number Four: Granted in 1735, now called Charlestown.
Number Five: 1735 name of Hopkinton, which later became New Hopkinton.
Number Six: Early name of Henniker.
Number Seven: Early name of Hillsborough.
Number Eleven: Early name of grant for Lyman, including Monroe.
Nutfield: Original name of Londonderry from 1718-1722. At the time, Nutfield was the second largest town in colonial New Hampshire, and present-day Londonderry, as well as Derry, Windham, and portions of Manchester were formed from it.
Ossipee Gore: Portion of Ossipee taken to form Freedom, north and east of Ossipee Lake.
Oyster River: Early name of Durham until 1716, before which it was part of Dover.
Packersfield: Name of Nelson until 1814.
Passaconaway: A small village in the Albany Intervale of Albany, shown on maps at least until 1958.
Pattenville: In north Littleton. One of several villages inundated by the Moore Reservoir when the Moore Dam was built in 1956. Had bridge to old Waterford, Vermont, another hamlet now under water.
Paulsburg: 1771 name of Milan until 1824 (although both shown on map of 1817.
Peeling: 1763 name of Woodstock, then Fairfield until 1804. Shown as Peeling on 1817 map.
Penney Cook: Name of early settlement of Concord until it became Rumford in 1733, as a part of Massachusetts. See also: Pennacook (tribe).
Perrystown: 1749 name of Sutton.
Peterborough Slip: Now Sharon, except for the easterly portion, which became Temple.
Picked Mountain: Now Mount Agassiz in Bethlehem.
Piercey: Original name, in 1795, for Stark. Also shown as Percy, which survives in NE corner of Stark today.
Pine Mountain: A summit, now called Currier Mountain, in the Dartmouth Range once having a fire lookout tower; located northwest of Mount Dartmouth; not to be confused with the Pine Mountain northeast of Mount Madison.
Piscataqua: Early name of Portsmouth.
Pliny Major and Pliny Minor: Two peaks of the Pilot Range now known as Mount Waumbek (with Mount Starr King) and Pliny Mountain. Also shown as Mt. Plinny.
Pondicherry Pond: Early name of Cherry Pond. Also Pondicherry Mountain became Cherry Mountain, part of Mount Martha.
Poplin: Early name of Fremont when it was taken from Brentwood portion of Exeter, until 1854.
Roby: The 1769 name of Brookline, changed by legislative act in 1778.
Rowley Canada: An early name of Rindge, Monadnock No. 1.
Rumford: Early name of Concord, formerly a part of Bow, until 1765.
Salem Canada: Early name of Lyndeborough until 1753.
Salmon Falls, Early name of Rollinsford, specifically its mill town district.
Sanborn: 1748 name of Sanbornton. Also shown as Sandbornton.
Sanbornton Bridge: Part of Sanbornton disannexed and later called Tilton.
Sandy Beach: Early name of Rye when it was a part of New Castle.
Sandwich Addition: Portion of Sandwich added in 1764.
Seville: 1768 name of Sunapee, first incorporated as Wendell in 1781. Also shown as Saville.
Shelburne Addition: Early name of Gorham until 1836.
Sligo: Early name of Rollinsford when a part of Dover.
Smith's Isles: Early name for the Isles of Shoals.
South Newmarket: Portion of Newmarket separated in 1849, also called Newfield Village in 1621, now known as Newfields.
Souhegan East: Early name of Bedford, also known as Narragansett Number Five.
Souhegan West: 1733 name of Amherst, also known as Narragansett Number Three.
Squam Falls: Early name of Ashland.
Stark's Town: 1751 name of Dunbarton until 1765.
Stevenstown: 1749 name of Salisbury until 1768.
Stewart: Now Stewartstown, since 1799. Also shown as Stuarttown.
Stonington: Early name of Groveton. Also called Fort Wentworth.
Strawberry Bank: Early name of Portsmouth until 1653. The name is preserved in the Strawbery Banke museum area.
Summersworth: Early name for both Rollinsford and Somersworth when they were a single parish of Dover.
Suncook: Early name of Pembroke in 1727, now a Census-designated place.
Swampscott Patent: Also known as part of Hilton’s Purchase, now Stratham.
Trecothick: 1769 name of Ellsworth until it was incorporated in 1802.
Tulford: Early name for western end of New Hampton.
Upper Ashuelot: Early name of Keene until 1753.
Upper Belmont: 1859 name of Belmont after separation from Gilmanton.
Upper Coos: Early name of environs later incorporated as "Lancaster".
Warren's Ferry: Route between Pattenville (now under water in north Littleton to Waterford, Vermont.
Waterville: Early name of Waterville Valley, formerly Gillis and Foss Grant.
Webster (also Websters No. 2): Now eastern portion of Pittsburg, north of Carlisle, east of Connecticut River. Not same as present-day Webster.
Wendell: Early name of Sunapee, also known as Seville until 1781.
West Lyman: Now Monroe.
Whipples Dale: Portion of Jefferson SE of Whipples Mills (now Riverton).
Whitefield Landing Field: Now Mount Washington Regional Airport, in Whitefield.
Windslow's Location: Early eastern end of Stark, New Hampshire, with western edge just east of South Pond, then known as Percy Pond.
Willard's Mountain: Early name of Mount Waumbek.
Winnacunnet: 1639 name of Hampton.
Winnipisiogee: Early spelling of Winnipesaukee, as in Winnipesaukee River and Lake. Also shown as Winipisseokket Pond.
Woodbury: Early name of North Stratford.John A. Durkin
John Anthony Durkin (March 29, 1936 – October 16, 2012) was an American politician who served as a Democratic U.S. Senator from New Hampshire from 1975 until 1980.Laconia, New Hampshire
Laconia is a city in Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 15,951 at the 2010 census and an estimated 16,492 as of 2018. It is the county seat of Belknap County. Laconia, situated between Lake Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam Lake, includes the villages of Lakeport and Weirs Beach. Each June for nine days beginning on the Saturday of the weekend before Father's Day and ending on Father's Day, the city hosts Laconia Motorcycle Week, also more simply known as 'bike week', one of the country's largest rallies, and each winter, the Laconia World Championship Sled Dog Derby. The city is also the site of the state's annual Pumpkin Festival since 2015, having organized it after its former home of Keene rejected it due to riots in their neighborhoods in 2014. The city also includes one of the colleges of the Community College System of New Hampshire.Lake Winnipesaukee
Lake Winnipesaukee () is the largest lake in the U.S. state of New Hampshire, located in the Lakes Region. It is approximately 21 miles (34 km) long (northwest-southeast) and from 1 to 9 miles (1.6 to 14.5 km) wide (northeast-southwest), covering 69 square miles (179 km2)—71 square miles (184 km2) when Paugus Bay is included—with a maximum depth of 180 feet (55 m). The center area of the lake is called The Broads.The lake contains at least 264 islands, half of which are less than a quarter-acre in size, and is indented by several peninsulas, yielding a total shoreline of approximately 288 miles (463 km). The driving distance around the lake is 63 miles (101 km). It is 504 feet (154 m) above sea level. Winnipesaukee is the third-largest lake in New England after Lake Champlain and Moosehead Lake.
Outflow is regulated by the Lakeport Dam in Lakeport, New Hampshire, on the Winnipesaukee River.Lakes Region (New Hampshire)
The Lakes Region of New Hampshire is the mid-state region surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee, Winnisquam Lake, Squam Lake, and Newfound Lake. The area comprises all of Belknap County, the southern portion of Carroll County, the eastern portion of Grafton County, and the northern portions of Strafford County and Merrimack County. The largest municipality is the city of Laconia.
The area is a popular tourist destination in the summer time, with the activity peaking during the annual Motorcycle Week and races at Loudon's New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Other tourist destinations include Funspot in Weirs Beach, the children's museum of Center Harbor, Gunstock ski resort and Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion at Meadowbrook, both in Gilford, Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough, and the town of Wolfeboro, which claims to be the nation's oldest resort town. Lake Winnipesaukee is the largest lake in the state, and is home to numerous vacation homes. Several motion pictures have either been filmed or set in the region, including the 1981 classic, On Golden Pond (filmed on Squam Lake in the town of Holderness) and the 1991 comedy What About Bob?, which was filmed in Virginia but (fictitiously) took place in Wolfeboro.List of place names of Native American origin in New England
The region of New England in the United States has numerous place names derived from the indigenous peoples of the area. New England is in the Northeastern United States, and comprises six states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Listed are well-known names of towns, significant bodies of water, and mountains. This list can virtually never be sufficiently completed as there are hundreds of thousands of place names in New England.Lochmere, New Hampshire
Lochmere is an unincorporated community in the towns of Tilton and Belmont in Belknap County, New Hampshire, in the United States. It is located along U.S. Route 3 and New Hampshire Route 11, which connect the village with Laconia to the northeast and to the center of Tilton and to Franklin to the southwest. It is close to the Winnipesaukee River as it connects the outlet of Winnisquam Lake to the north with Silver Lake to the south.
Lochmere has a separate ZIP code (03252) from the rest of the town of Tilton.Lochmere Archeological District
The Lochmere Archeological District is a large archeological area on the banks of the Winnipesaukee River in Belknap County, New Hampshire, near the village of Lochmere. The area, part of which is now preserved by the state as the Brennick Lochmere Archaeological Site, is a multi-component site with evidence of human occupation from the Middle Archaic through the Late Woodland periods. The site was occupied in historic times by the Winnipesaukee sub-tribe of the Pennacook people, and is near Aquadoctan (aka The Weirs), one of the largest native towns of prehistoric New Hampshire.The district also encompasses a number of archaeologically sensitive historic sites that were developed by white settlers and later residents to take advantage of the river's water power for industrial purposes. These uses began as early as the 1770s and continued into the 19th century, when the proprietors of the area's mills contested with the wealthier owners of downstream mills in Manchester, New Hampshire, Lowell, Massachusetts, and other sites on the Merrimack River for control over the river's flow. These well-funded interests eventually purchased all of the major water rights in the area, and shut the smaller area mills down, and by 1882 most of them lay in ruins.About 90 acres (36 ha) of the area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, an area that includes 13 prehistoric and 18 historic sites. Some of the archaeologically sensitive areas have been partially compromised by home construction in the area, and by the state in the dredging and widening the river channel.Meredith, New Hampshire
Meredith is a town in Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 6,241 at the 2010 census. Meredith is situated beside Lake Winnipesaukee. It is home to the Stonedam Island Natural Area and the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad.
The primary village in town, where 1,718 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the Meredith census-designated place, and is located at the junction of U.S. Route 3 and New Hampshire Route 25 at the head of Meredith Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee.Opechee Bay
Opechee Bay is a 449-acre (1.82 km2) lake located in Belknap County in the Lakes Region of central New Hampshire, United States, in the city of Laconia. It is located directly downstream from Paugus Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee, and it connects by a one-mile segment of the Winnipesaukee River through the center of Laconia to Winnisquam Lake.
The lake is classified as a cold- and warmwater fishery, with observed species including brook trout, rainbow trout, land-locked salmon, lake trout, lake whitefish, smallmouth and largemouth bass, chain pickerel, horned pout, white perch, black crappie, and bluegill.Sanbornton, New Hampshire
Sanbornton is a town in Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,966 at the 2010 census. It includes the villages of North Sanbornton and Gaza.Wickwas Lake
Wickwas Lake or Wicwas Lake is a 350-acre (1.4 km2) water body in Belknap County in the Lakes Region of central New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Meredith. Water from Wickwas Lake flows south to Winnisquam Lake, then to the Winnipesaukee River, and ultimately to the Merrimack River.
The lake is classified as a warm-water fishery, with observed species including smallmouth and largemouth bass, chain pickerel, horned pout, and black crappie.Longstanding disagreement about how to spell the name of the lake led locals in 2019 to request that the state officially designate it as "Wicwas" without a K.Winnipesaukee River
The Winnipesaukee River is a 10.5-mile-long (16.9 km) river that connects Lake Winnipesaukee with the Pemigewasset and Merrimack rivers in Franklin, New Hampshire. The river is in the Lakes Region of central New Hampshire. The river's drainage area is approximately 488 square miles (1,264 km2).
The river has two distinct sections. The upstream section consists of a series of river courses connecting a chain of lakes, beginning with Lake Winnipesaukee. From the dam at the outlet of Lake Winnipesaukee in the Lakeport section of Laconia, the river almost immediately enters Opechee Bay. 1 mile (1.6 km) down the lake, the river exits over a dam and drops through the center of Laconia, its banks lined by industrial buildings from the 19th century that were constructed to take advantage of the river's power. The 1 mile (1.6 km) section through Laconia ends at Winnisquam Lake, the fourth-largest lake in New Hampshire. A 5-mile (8 km) stretch across Winnisquam leads to the dam at the lake's outlet and a short descent to Silver Lake.
The river's lower section begins at the natural outlet of Silver Lake, on the boundary between Belmont and Tilton, New Hampshire. The river passes through the center of the twin towns of Tilton and Northfield, then descends through a narrow valley to Franklin where additional small dams use the river's power. From Tilton to Franklin, the river has a drop of up to 90 feet per mile (17 m/km), with challenging rapids for sport boaters who put in at Cross Mill Bridge and take out at the U.S. Route 3 Sanborn Bridge in downtown Franklin. A USGS water gage is in TiltonThe Winnipesaukee River joins the Pemigewasset River just downstream from the center of Franklin, forming the Merrimack River.Winnisquam
Winnisquam may refer to a location in New Hampshire, the United States:
Winnisquam, New Hampshire, a village named after the lake
Winnisquam Regional High School, in Tilton, New HampshireWinnisquam, New Hampshire
Winnisquam is an unincorporated community in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire, United States. The village is centered on the U.S. Route 3 bridge over the narrows of Winnisquam Lake and covers portions of three towns: Belmont, Sanbornton, and Tilton.
Winnisquam has a ZIP code of 03289, different from the ZIP codes in each of its component towns.