Winchester is an independent city located in the northwestern portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 26,203. As of 2015, its population is an estimated 27,284. It is the county seat of Frederick County, although the two are separate jurisdictions. The Bureau of Economic Analysis combines the city of Winchester with surrounding Frederick County for statistical purposes.
Winchester is the principal city of the Winchester, Virginia–West Virginia, metropolitan statistical area, which is a part of the Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area . Winchester is home to Shenandoah University and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley.
|City of Winchester|
Loudoun Street Mall, May 2016
|• Mayor||John David Smith Jr.|
|• Total||9.3 sq mi (24 km2)|
|• Land||9.2 sq mi (24 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||725 ft (221 m)|
|• Density||3,036/sq mi (1,172/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
22601, 22602, 22603, 22604
|GNIS feature ID||1498552|
Indigenous peoples lived along the waterways of present-day Virginia for thousands of years before European contact. Archeological, linguistic and anthropological studies have provided insights into their cultures. Though little is known of specific tribal movements before European contact, the Shenandoah Valley area, considered a sacred common hunting ground, appears by the 17th century to have been controlled mostly by the local Iroquoian-speaking groups, including the Senedo and Sherando.
The Algonquian-speaking Shawnee began to challenge the Iroquoians for the hunting grounds later in that century. The explorers Batts and Fallam in 1671 reported the Shawnee were contesting with the Iroquoians for control of the valley and were losing. During the later Beaver Wars, the powerful Iroquois Confederacy from New York (particularly Seneca from the western part of the territory) subjugated all tribes in the frontier region west of the Fall Line.
By the time European settlers arrived in the Shenandoah Valley around 1729, the Shawnee were the principal occupants in the area around Winchester. During the first decade of white settlement, the valley was also a conduit and battleground in a bloody intertribal war between the Seneca and allied Algonquian Lenape from the north, and their distant traditional enemies, the Siouan Catawba in the Carolinas. The Iroquois Six Nations finally ceded their nominal claim to the Shenandoah Valley at the Treaty of Lancaster (1744). The treaty also established the right of colonists to use the Indian Road, later known as the Great Wagon Road.
The father of the historical Shawnee chief Cornstalk had his court at Shawnee Springs (near today's Cross Junction, Virginia) until 1754. In 1753, on the eve of the French and Indian War (Seven Years' War), messengers came to the Shawnee from tribes further west, inviting them to leave the Valley and cross the Alleghenies, which they did the following year. The Shawnee settled for some years in the Ohio Country before being forced by the US government under Indian Removal in the 1830s to remove to Indian Territory.
Winchester had a notable role as a frontier city in those early times. The Governor of Virginia, as well as the young military commander George Washington, met in the town with their Iroquois allies (called the "Half-Kings"), to coordinate maneuvers against the French and their Native American allies during the French and Indian War.
French Jesuit expeditions may have first entered the valley as early as 1606, as the explorer Samuel de Champlain made a crude map of the area in 1632. The first confirmed exploration of the northern valley was by the explorer John Lederer, who viewed the it from the current Fauquier and Warren County line on August 26, 1670. In 1705 the Swiss explorer Louise Michel and in 1716 Governor Alexander Spotswood did more extensive mapping and surveying.
In the late 1720s, Governor William Gooch promoted settlement by issuing large land grants. Robert "King" Carter, manager of the Lord Fairfax proprietorship, acquired 200,000 acres (810 km2). This combination of events directly precipitated an inrush of settlers from Pennsylvania and New York, made up of a blend of Quakers and German and Scots-Irish homesteaders, many of them new immigrants. The Scots-Irish comprised the most numerous group of immigrants from the British Isles before the American Revolutionary War.
The settlement of Winchester began as early as 1729, when Quakers such as Abraham Hollingsworth migrated up (south) the Great Valley along the long-traveled Indian Path (later called the Great Wagon Road by the colonists) from Pennsylvania. He and others began to homestead on old Shawnee campgrounds. Tradition holds that the Quakers purchased several tracts on Apple-pie Ridge from the natives, who did not disturb those settlements.
The first German settler appears to have been Jost Hite in 1732, who brought ten other families, including some Scots-Irish. Though Virginia was an Anglican colony, Governor William Gooch had a tolerant policy on religion. The availability of land grants brought in many religious families, who were often given 50-acre (200,000 m2) plots through the sponsorship of fellow-religious grant purchasers and speculators. As a result, the Winchester area became home to some of the oldest Presbyterian, Quaker, Lutheran and Anglican churches in the valley. The first Lutheran worship was established by Rev. John Casper Stoever Jr., and Alexander Ross established Hopewell Meeting for the Quakers. By 1736, Scots-Irish built the Opequon Presbyterian Church in Kernstown.
A legal fight erupted in 1735 when Thomas Fairfax, Sixth Lord Fairfax came to Virginia to claim his land grant. It included "all the land in Virginia between the Rappahannock and the Potomac rivers", an old grant from King Charles II which overlapped and included Frederick County. It took some time for land titles to be cleared among early settlers.
By 1738 these settlements became known as Frederick Town. The county of Frederick was carved out of Orange County. The first government was created, consisting of a County Court as well as the Anglican Frederick Parish (for purposes of tax collection). Colonel James Wood, an immigrant from Winchester, England, was the first court clerk and had been a surveyor for Orange County, Virginia. He contracted for his own home Glen Burnie homstead around 1737, and it may have been used for early government business. Wood laid out 26 half-acre (2,000 m²) lots in 1744. The County Court held its first session on November 11, 1743, where James Wood served until 1760. Lord Fairfax, understanding that possession is 9/10ths of the law, built a home here (in present-day Clarke County) in 1748.
In February 1752, the Virginia House of Burgesses granted the fourth city charter in Virginia to 'Winchester' as Frederick Town was renamed after Colonel Wood's birthplace in England. In 1754, Abraham Hollingsworth built the local residence called Abram's Delight, which served as the first local Quaker meeting house. George Washington spent a good portion of his young life in Winchester helping survey the Fairfax land grant for Thomas Fairfax, Sixth Lord Fairfax, as well as performing surveying work for Colonel Wood. In 1758 Wood added 158 lots to the west side of town. In 1759 Thomas Lord Fairfax contributed 173 more lots to the south and east.
General Edward Braddock's expeditionary march to Fort Duquesne crossed through this area in 1755 on the way to Fort Cumberland. Knowing the area well from work as a surveyor, George Washington accompanied General Braddock as his aide-de-camp. Resident Daniel Morgan joined Braddock's Army as a wagoner on its march to Pennsylvania.
In 1756, on land granted by James Wood, Colonel George Washington designed and began constructing Fort Loudoun, which ultimately covered 0.955 acres (3,860 m2) in present-day downtown Winchester on North Loudoun Street. Fort Loudoun was occupied and manned with guns until the start of the American Revolutionary War.
During this era, a jail was built in Winchester. It occasionally held Quakers from many parts of Virginia who protested the French and Indian War and refused to pay taxes to the Anglican parish. While their cousins in Pennsylvania dominated politics there, Virginia was an Anglican colony and did not tolerate pacifism well. The strong Quaker tradition of pacifism against strong Virginia support for this war and the next, led to long-term stifling of the Quaker population. Winchester became a gateway to Quaker settlements further west; by the mid-19th century, the Quaker population was a small minority here.
During the war in 1758, at the age of 26, Colonel George Washington was elected to represent Frederick County to the House of Burgesses. Daniel Morgan later served as a ranger protecting the borderlands of Virginia against Indian raids, returning to Winchester in 1759. Following the war, from 1763 to 1774 Daniel Morgan served in Captain Ashby's company and defended Virginia against Pontiac's Rebellion and Shawnee Indians in the Ohio valley (that part now in West Virginia).
During the Revolutionary War, the Virginia House of Burgesses chose local resident and French and Indian War veteran Daniel Morgan to raise a company of militia to support General George Washington's efforts during the Siege of Boston. He led the 96 men of "Morgan's Sharpshooters" from Winchester on July 14, 1775 and marched to Boston in 21 days. Morgan, Wood, and others also performed duties in holding captured prisoners of war, particularly Hessian soldiers.
Hessian soldiers were known to walk to the high ridge north and west of town, where they could purchase and eat apple pies made by the Quakers. The ridge became affectionately known as Apple Pie Ridge. The Ridge Road built before 1751 leading north from town was renamed Apple Pie Ridge Road. The local farmers found booming business in feeding the Virginia Militia and fledgling volunteer American army.
Following the war, the town's first newspapers, The Gazette and The Centinel, were established. Daniel Morgan continued his public service, being elected to one term in the U.S. House of Representatives (1797–1799).
Winchester and the surrounding area were the site of numerous battles during the American Civil War, as the Confederate and Union armies strove to control that portion of the Shenandoah Valley. Seven major battlefields are in the original Frederick County:
Within the city of Winchester:
Near the city of Winchester:
Winchester was a key strategic position for the Confederate States Army during the war. It was an important operational objective in Gen Joseph E. Johnston's and Col Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's defense of the Shenandoah Valley in 1861, Jackson's Valley Campaign of 1862, the Gettysburg Campaign of 1863, and the Valley Campaigns of 1864. Including minor cavalry raids and patrols, and occasional reconnaissances, historians claim that Winchester changed hands as many as 72 times and 13 times in one day. Battles raged along Main Street at points in the war. Union General Sheridan and Stonewall Jackson located their headquarters just one block apart at times.
At the north end of the lower Shenandoah Valley, Winchester was a base of operations for major Confederate invasions into the Northern United States. At times the attacks threatened the capital of Washington, D.C. The town served as a central point for troops conducting major raids against the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, and turnpike and telegraph paths along those routes and the Potomac River Valley. For instance, in 1861, Stonewall Jackson removed 56 locomotives and over 300 railroad cars, along with miles of track, from the B&O Railroad. His attack closed down the B&O's main line for ten months. Much of the effort to transport this equipment by horse and carriage centered in Winchester.
During the war, Winchester was occupied by the Union Army for four major periods:
Major General Sheridan raided up the valley from Winchester, where his forces destroyed "2,000 barns filled with grain and implements, not to mention other outbuildings, 70 mills filled with wheat and flour" and "numerous head of livestock," to lessen the area's ability to supply the Confederates.
Numerous local men served with the Confederate Army, mostly as troops. Dr. Hunter McGuire was Chief Surgeon of the Second "Jackson's" Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. He laid the foundations for the future Geneva conventions regarding the treatment of medical doctors during warfare. Winchester served as a major center for Confederate medical operations, particularly after the Battle of Sharpsburg in 1862 and the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863.
Today, Winchester has extensive resources for Civil War enthusiasts. For instance, there are remains of several Civil War-era forts:
Jubal Early Drive, which curves south of downtown Winchester, was the central location for many of the battles.
The United States assigned military presence to Winchester and other parts of the South during Reconstruction after the war. Winchester was part of the First Military District, commanded by Major General John Schofield. This period lasted until January 26, 1870.
Winchester was the first city south of the Potomac River to install electric light. In 1917 the Winchester and Western Railroad connected Winchester with Rock Enon Springs, moving both vacationers and supplies to the resort that is now Camp Rock Enon with far greater speed.:366 Winchester is the location of the bi-annual N-SSA national competition keeping the tradition of Civil War era firearms alive. A three-block section of downtown Loudoun Street was closed to vehicular traffic in the 1970s and is a popular pedestrian area featuring many boutiques and cafes. The street was repaved with brick and landscaped in 2013. Apple Blossom Mall opened in 1982.
|Abram's Delight||1754||Parkview Street & Rouss Spring Road||1973|
|Douglas School||1927||598 North Kent Street||2000|
|Fair Mount||19th century||311 Fairmont Avenue||2004|
|Glen Burnie||1794||901 Amherst Street||1979|
|Handley Library||1913||Braddock & Piccadilly Streets||1969|
|John Handley High School||1920s||425 Handley Boulevard||1998|
|Hawthorne and Old Town Spring||1811||610 and 730 Amherst Street||2013|
|Hexagon House||1870s||530 Amherst Street||1987|
|Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum||mid-19th century||415 North Braddock Street||1967|
|Adam Kurtz House||1757||Braddock & Cork Streets||1976|
|Old Stone Church (Winchester, Virginia)||1788||304 East Piccadilly Street||1977|
|Triangle Diner||1948||27 West Gerrard Street||2010|
|Winchester Historic District||1750–1930||US 522, US 11 & US 50/US 17||1980|
|Winchester Historic District (Boundary Increase)||120 & 126 North Kent Street||2003|
|Winchester National Cemetery||1860s||401 National Avenue||1996|
|George Washington's Office Museum||by 1748||32 West Cork Street||1975|
|Patsy Cline Historic House||1880||608 S. Kent St.||2005|
|Mt. Hebron Cemetery and Stonewall Confederate Cemetery||1844||305 E. Boscawen Street||2008|
In addition to the sites on the National Register of Historic Places, the following historic sites are in Winchester:
Winchester is located at.
It is in the Shenandoah Valley, located between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Allegheny Mountains, and is 15 miles north-northeast of the northern peak of Massanutten Mountain. I-81 passes through the city, along with US 50, US 522, US 17, which ends in the city, and SR 7, which also ends in the city. The city is approximately 75 miles (121 km) to the west of Washington, D.C., 24 miles (39 km) south of Martinsburg, West Virginia, and 25 miles (40 km) north of Front Royal, Virginia.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Winchester has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps. The hardiness zone is 6b.
|Climate data for Winchester, Virginia|
|Record high °F (°C)||72
|Average high °F (°C)||40
|Daily mean °F (°C)||32
|Average low °F (°C)||23
|Record low °F (°C)||−12
|Average precipitation inches (mm)||2.6
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2016, the population of Winchester was 27,516. The number of people per square mile was 2957.1/mi²(1141.7/km²). There were 11,907 housing units at an average density of 1279.6 houses per square mile (494.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 81.1% White alone, 11.7% African American, 0.9% Native American, 2.8% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 3.46% from other races, and 3.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.8% of the population.
There were 10,596 households with an average of 2.49 persons per household. 18.5% of these households spoke a language other than English in the home. The estimated house or condo value was $230,125. The median gross rent was $1,036.
In 2014 The median age of the population was 37.6 years. 48.6% of the population was male vs 51.4% being female. For every 100 females, there were 94.6 males.
The median income for a household (from 2012-2016) in the city was $46,466, while the per capita income was $26,984. An estimated 15% of the population was below the poverty line. As of September 2015 the unemployment rate was 3.9%
Of those 25 years of age or older, 83.5% of the population had earned a high school degree or higher from 2012-2016, with 31.3% of the population having completed a bachelor's degree or higher.
Winchester is the location of the annual Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival, which has existed since 1924. It is usually held during the first weekend in May. The festival includes a carnival, firework show, parades, several dances and parties, and a coronation where the Apple Blossom Queen is crowned. Local school systems and many businesses close the Friday of Apple Blossom weekend.
Winchester has more than 20 different "artistic" apples that are made of various materials including wood, rubber pipe, plaster, and paint. These apples were created in 2005 by occupants of the city, and were placed at a specific location at the artists' request after being auctioned off. For example, a bright red apple with a large stethoscope attached to it was placed beside a much-used entrance to the Winchester Medical Center.
Winchester was home to Capitol Record's East Coast Pressing Plant. Capitol Records Distribution Corporation announced in 1968 the purchasing of land in Winchester, Va for a new record processing plant. Along with this plant they built several houses, bought a few small business and later built a tape production plant. The Winchester plant began construction in 1968 and production in 1969. The plant initially had a workforce of 250 people. This plant complemented the other existing manufacturing facilities of Capitol Records in Scranton, PA, Jacksonville, FL and Los Angeles, CA. In 1969 Capitol Records' Pressing Plant in Scranton began phasing out its vinyl manufacturing in favor of the new Winchester plant. Records pressed here include the Beatles' Abbey Road, Simon and Garfunkel's The Concert in Central Park and Richard Pryor's self-titled album. Capitol Records announced in late 1987 that it would end tape duplicating production in the US, in favor of offshore manufacturing, including in Winchester by early 1988, putting more than 500 employees out of work when they closed the Winchester plant.
According to the City's 2016 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||Valley Health||1,000 and over|
|2||Rubbermaid Commercial Products||500 - 999|
|3||Winchester City Public Schools||500 - 999|
|4||Walmart||500 - 999|
|5||Shenandoah University||500 - 999|
|6||City of Winchester||500 - 999|
|7||Axiom Staffing Group||500 - 999|
|8||Martin's Food Markets||500 - 999|
|9||Trex||250 - 499|
|10||Kohl's||250 - 499|
Winchester is home to the Winchester Royals, which is part of the Valley Baseball League, a National Collegiate Athletic Association-sanctioned collegiate summer baseball league in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
Shenandoah University is located in Winchester and has numerous male and female sports in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Winchester is also home to the Winchester Speedway, a 3/8 mile clay oval track, which plays host to a number of touring series, such as the World of Outlaws Late Model Series, and the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series.
Winchester is served directly by U.S. Route 11, U.S. Route 17, U.S. Route 50 and U.S. Route 522. These four highways follow city streets through downtown Winchester, with U.S. Route 17 coming to its northern terminus. Virginia State Route 7 also serves Winchester, terminating in downtown. Interstate 81 and Virginia State Route 37 bypass the city to the east and west, respectively.
Winchester's first sister city, Winchester, England, is where the Virginia town gets its name. During the Eisenhower administration, Winchester also formalized a sister city relationship with Ambato, Ecuador.
|2016||44.9% 4,790||48.4% 5,164||6.7% 711|
|2012||48.0% 4,946||49.5% 5,094||2.5% 256|
|2008||46.7% 4,725||52.0% 5,268||1.3% 133|
|2004||56.6% 5,283||42.5% 3,967||1.0% 93|
|2000||54.7% 4,314||42.1% 3,318||3.2% 254|
|1996||51.0% 3,681||41.9% 3,027||7.1% 514|
|1992||49.8% 3,833||35.9% 2,768||14.3% 1,100|
|1988||65.5% 4,497||33.5% 2,300||1.0% 65|
|1984||70.7% 5,055||28.9% 2,064||0.5% 33|
|1980||64.0% 4,240||30.3% 2,006||5.7% 377|
|1976||62.9% 4,075||36.2% 2,346||1.0% 63|
|1972||75.6% 4,647||23.1% 1,418||1.4% 86|
|1968||55.8% 2,695||28.1% 1,360||16.1% 778|
|1964||49.1% 2,180||50.8% 2,254||0.1% 3|
|1960||65.6% 2,326||33.9% 1,203||0.5% 16|
|1956||69.5% 2,375||27.6% 945||2.9% 99|
|1952||69.2% 2,375||30.7% 1,055||0.1% 2|
|1948||50.0% 1,272||35.1% 894||14.9% 380|
|1944||52.1% 1,095||47.6% 1,000||0.3% 7|
|1940||45.7% 945||53.9% 1,114||0.4% 8|
|1936||40.1% 743||59.2% 1,096||0.7% 12|
|1932||36.5% 698||61.7% 1,179||1.7% 33|
|1928||59.5% 1,168||40.5% 794|
|1924||33.4% 420||65.2% 820||1.4% 18|
|1920||41.5% 540||56.6% 736||1.9% 24|
|1916||28.7% 196||68.4% 468||2.9% 20|
|1912||20.8% 141||66.0% 447||13.2% 89|
His nickname, "Auver Mike," arose from his practice of starting sentences with the word "auver" to counteract stammering.
MICHAEL MYERS, SR, Was born at Winchester, Virginia, in 1845 (sic 1745)
Abrams Creek is an 11.2-mile-long (18.0 km) tributary stream of Opequon Creek in Frederick County and the independent city of Winchester in Virginia. Abrams Creek rises north of Round Hill and flows in a southeasterly direction through Winchester. From Winchester, Abrams Creek flows east into Opequon Creek. The stream was originally known as Abraham's Creek.Apple Blossom Mall
The Apple Blossom Mall is 473,103 square feet (43,952.7 m2) and was built in 1982 on the south side of Winchester, VA. It has 83 stores including three anchors, Sears, JCPenney and Belk (formerly Leggett). The shopping mall is 49.1% owned by Simon Property Group and it is managed by Simon.
Simon announced in 2007 a major lifestyle redevelopment at Apple Blossom Mall including the addition of a RC Theatres 16-screen complex on the property. Construction on the theatres was to begin in the spring of 2007 with the opening scheduled for late 2007 or early 2008. This lifestyle center which was to include three lifestyle-type tenants, two big boxes, an additional department store and new restaurants never materialized. There is now the Carmike VI Theater located in the mall.
In mid-2012, mall representatives announced renovation plans for the mall. Among them will be new floors and lighting, a children's play area, and a 12-screen theater to replace the existing theater.David Holmes (politician)
David Holmes (March 10, 1769 – August 20, 1832) was an American politician. He was a Virginia congressman, and later Mississippi statesman. He was appointed as the fourth and last governor of the Mississippi Territory and became elected as the first governor of the State of Mississippi. He served a term as Senator of Mississippi, and returned to serve part of a term as governor before ill health forced him to resign.Frederick W. M. Holliday
Frederick William Mackey Holliday (February 22, 1828 – May 29, 1899) was a member of the Confederate Congress during the American Civil War and the 38th Governor of Virginia from 1878 to 1882.James Wood (governor)
James Wood (January 28, 1741 – June 16, 1813) was an officer of the U.S. Continental Army during the American Revolution and the 11th Governor of Virginia.John Otho Marsh Jr.
John Otho Marsh Jr. (August 7, 1926 – February 4, 2019) was an American politician and an adjunct professor at George Mason University School of Law. He served as the United States Secretary of the Army from 1981 to 1989, and as a member of the United States House of Representatives from Virginia from 1963 to 1971.John Randolph Tucker (politician)
John Randolph Tucker (December 24, 1823 – February 13, 1897) was an American lawyer, author, and politician from Virginia. From a distinguished slaveholding family, he was elected Virginia's attorney general in 1857 and after re-election served during the American Civil War (James S. Wheat served as attorney general in Union-held portions of the state). After a pardon and Congressional Reconstruction, Tucker was elected as U.S. Congressman (1875-1887), and later served as the first dean of the Washington and Lee University Law School.Kernstown, Virginia
Kernstown is an unincorporated community within the independent city of Winchester, Virginia. Parts of Kernstown also lie within Frederick County. It is centered along the Valley Pike U.S. Route 11. During the American Civil War, the first and second Battles of Kernstown were fought here.
Adam Kern Sr. (1742-1799) was of German origin, and migrated from York County, Pennsylvania to Frederick County in 1765. He settled three miles south of Winchester along the Great Wagon Road. The town of Kernstown was named for his son, Adam Kern Jr. (1773-1855).
Previous names include:
Opequon - at the intersection of the "Great Wagon Road" – now Hwy 11 – and Opequon Creek
Hogue's Tavern – named after a tavern located at the intersection of the "Great Wagon Road" – now Hwy 11 – and Opequon Creek
Kernsville – Settlement on Adam Kern Sr.'s land (his brother Michael Kern (1744-1814) purchased 33 acres in 1766 and 36 acres in 1767 and sold all to Adam Kern Sr. in 1773) along the "Great Wagon Road" – now Hwy 11 – south of Winchester near Opequon Creek
Kernstown – Town was officially established by an act of the Virginia Assembly in 1799. Town was named after Adam Kern Jr., son of Adam Kern Sr.National Register of Historic Places listings in Winchester, Virginia
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Winchester, Virginia.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in the independent city of Winchester, Virginia, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in a Google map.There are 21 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the city, including 1 National Historic Landmark.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted February 8, 2019.Patsy Cline House
The Patsy Cline House at 608 S. Kent St., in a working-class neighborhood of Winchester, Virginia was the home from 1948 to 1953 of Virginia Patterson Hensley, who later became the country music star known as Patsy Cline. She moved out of the house when she got married at the age of 21 to Gerald Cline, but returned intermittently afterwards.
The house was placed on both the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 2005 and a Virginia State Historical Marker was placed there about the same time.Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival
The Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival ("The Bloom") is a six-day festival held annually in spring in Winchester, Virginia. First held in 1924, it is one of the oldest civic celebrations in the Commonwealth of Virginia.Shenandoah University
Shenandoah University is a comprehensive private liberal arts university located in Winchester, Virginia, in the United States. It has an enrollment of approximately 4,000 students across more than 100 programs in seven schools: College of Arts & Sciences, Harry F. Byrd Jr. School of Business, Shenandoah Conservatory, Bernard J. Dunn School of Pharmacy, Eleanor Wade Custer School of Nursing, School of Health Professions (Athletic Training, Respiratory Care, Occupational Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies and Physical Therapy) and the School of Education & Human Development. Shenandoah University is one of five United Methodist Church-affiliated institutions of higher education in the Commonwealth of Virginia.Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum
The Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum is a historic house located at 415 North Braddock Street in the Historic District of Winchester, Virginia.The Winchester Star
The Winchester Star is a daily newspaper (Monday-Saturday morning) based in Winchester, Virginia covering the Shenandoah Valley area. Subscribers may choose from either the print edition or a downloadable edition of the newspaper.
On March 6, 2018, it was announced that The Winchester Star, along with the other Byrd family newspapers, were to be sold to Ogden Newspapers. Members of the Byrd family had been the sole owners of The Winchester Star since 1897.WINC-FM
WINC-FM is a Hot Adult Contemporary formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Winchester, Virginia. WINC-FM is owned and operated by Centennial Broadcasting.WINC (AM)
WINC (1400 AM) is a broadcast radio station licensed to Winchester, Virginia, United States. The station carries a news, talk, and sports format. WINC serves Winchester along with Frederick and Clarke counties in Virginia.
Launched on June 26, 1941, by Richard Field Lewis, Jr., WINC was Winchester's first radio station. It remained in the hands of the Lewis family until sold to North Carolina-based Centennial Broadcasting in 2007. The station's current format, established in 1996, consists mostly of conservative talk programs and top-of-the-hour news from Fox News Radio. Sports programming from Virginia Tech is also broadcast. Prior formats heard on WINC include middle of the road music, adult contemporary, and classic hits.
Several milestones have occurred during the station's 75 years of history. WINC was the station on which country music singer Patsy Cline made her debut in 1948, when Cline asked the leader of a "hillbilly band" for a chance to perform with them on air. In the late 1950s, the station's chief engineer, Philip Whitney, designed a CONELRAD alarm device for FM stations to warn listeners in the event of an enemy attack during the Cold War. Whitney also created many of the remote control systems used by radio stations. He was awarded for his work by the National Association of Broadcasters in 1970. WINC had difficulty renewing its license in the early 1970s, as it was airing 22 minutes of commercials per hour—in excess of what the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) permitted. The station encountered further trouble in 1988 when a local prosecutor called one of its promotions an "illegal cash lottery"; a judge disagreed. In that same year, the news department at WINC received an Associated Press Broadcasters Association national award for "Best Radio Spot News".The entirety of WINC's program schedule began simulcasting on sister-station WZFC on January 31, 2018.Winchester, VA–WV MSA
Winchester, VA–WV MSA is a U.S. metropolitan statistical area (MSA) as defined by the United States Office of Management and Budget (OMB) as of June, 2003. This should not be confused with the City of Winchester, Virginia, the most populous community within this MSA. The population of the MSA as the 2015 U.S. Census Bureau estimates is 133,836.Winchester National Cemetery
Winchester National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located in the city of Winchester in Frederick County, Virginia. Administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, it encompasses 4.9 acres (2.0 ha), and as of the end of 2005, it had 5,561 interments. It is closed to new interments.Winchester Royals
The Winchester Royals are a collegiate summer baseball team in Winchester, Virginia. They play in the Northern division of the Valley Baseball League. The Royals are the most successful team in the history of the Valley League, with thirteen Championships won — in 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2003, and 2004. This is one more than the Harrisonburg Turks, and seven more than the Waynesboro Generals, which are the second and third most winning teams in the history of the Valley League.