Little is known of the origin of the William Peverell the Elder. Of his immediate family, only the name of a brother, Robert, is known. J. R. Planché derives the surname from the Latin puerulus, the diminutive form of puer (a boy), thus "a small boy", or from the Latin noun piper, meaning "pepper".
William Peverel was a favourite of William the Conqueror. He was greatly honoured after the Norman Conquest, and received as his reward over a hundred manors in central England from the king. In 1086, the Domesday Book records William as holding the substantial number of 162 manors, forming collectively the Honour of Peverel, in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, including Nottingham Castle. He also built Peveril Castle, Castleton, Derbyshire. William Peverel is amongst the people explicitly recorded in the Domesday Book as having built castles.
William married Adeline, who bore him four children: two sons both named William, one dying without issue, the other often called William Peverel the Younger, born circa 1080, and two daughters, Maud and Adeliza, who married Richard de Redvers.
For the municipality in Quebec, see Adstock, Quebec
Adstock is a village and civil parish about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) northwest of Winslow and 3 miles (4.8 km) southeast of Buckingham in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire. The 2001 Census recorded a parish population of 415 reducing to 363 at the 2011 Census.
There are remains of a Roman road in the village.
In the divisions of England that took place between AD 613 and 1017, Buckinghamshire was divided into eight hundreds. The manor of Adstock originally formed part of the Votesdune Hundred, then merged into the Ashendon Hundred and was finally absorbed into the Buckingham Hundred. At that time it was surrounded by the Bernwood, one of the most important Royal Forests. At the end of the 10th century, Adstock formed a portion of the Lands of Godwine, Earl of Kent and his second wife Gytha Thorkelsdóttir.
After the Norman conquest of England, its name was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Edestoche which is Old English and means Eadda's Farm. Nearby Addington was named after the same person.
In the mid to late 11th century the manor of Adstock was given by William the Conqueror to his illegitimate son William Peverel, who was listed as its owner in 1086. This suggests that the manor was of some value, or that its previous owner was of some prominence in Anglo Saxon society.
The village received a charter to establish itself as a town briefly in 1665 so that a market could be held there. This was due to the majority of the people from the two local towns of Winslow and Buckingham being infected with bubonic plague. The charter was removed, however, in 1685 and Adstock was reinstated as a village rather than a town.
The parish church, which dates from the 12th century, is dedicated to St Cecilia. The roof is dated 1597, and the church underwent further major restoration during the Victorian era. There are two bells (the lightest of which dates back from about 1440) in the church and one Sanctus
Adstock had an outstation from the Bletchley Park codebreaking establishment, where some of the Bombes used to decode German Enigma messages in World War Two were located.Brian of Brittany
Brian of Brittany, 1st Earl of Cornwall in English, or Brien (also Brient) de Bretagne in French, was a Breton noble who fought for William I of England. He was born in about 1042, a son of Odo, Count of Penthièvre. Brian joined in the Norman Conquest of England, along with his brothers Alan the Black (Alain le Noir), and Alan the Red.Godwine and Edmund, sons of Harold Godwinson, escaped after the Battle of Hastings to Leinster, where they were guests of Diarmait. In 1068 and 1069 Diarmait lent them the fleet of Dublin for attempted invasions of England. At midsummer in 1069 Brian and Alan led a force that defeated a raid by a fleet of 64 ships on the mouth of the River Taw in Devon. Later in the same year Brian and William fitz Osbern were sent to relieve sieges at Shrewsbury and Exeter by English forces rebelling against Norman lordship. They were too late to save the former but a sally by the defenders of Exeter drove the English into the path of Brian and William who "punished their audacity with great slaughter".After defeating Harold's sons, Brian's forces went north to counter the rebellion by Eadric the Wild, while William the Conqueror's army travelled west; the two armies joined and won the Battle of Stafford.Brian received grants of land in Suffolk and Cornwall, although the first mention of him as Earl of Cornwall was not made until 1140, by his nephew Alan, 1st Earl of Richmond who had been given the same title by King Stephen and may have been trying to improve the legitimacy of his new rank. Brian's name is often associated with the construction of Launceston Castle.Brian may have left England soon after the battles of 1069, or perhaps following the rebellion of Ralph de Gaël in 1075. In any case, his estates became part of the grants made by King William to Robert of Mortain.Brian may have lived the rest of his life as a semi-invalid in and near Brittany, staying with his wife. E. A. Freeman however has him holding Kastoria in Thessaly for Bohemond I of Antioch in 1083. In 1084 he witnessed a charter of his eldest brother Geoffrey Boterel in Brittany and another in Anjou in that year; he may have died before 1086.It is not clear whether Brian had descendants, but there are intriguing references in the Domesday Book: three to sons "of Brian": Ralph as a Lord in six locations in Essex and one in Suffolk, of which the tenants-in-chief were Ranulf (Ranulph) Peverel (see William Peverel) and the Bishop of London St Paul; William who is listed as a Lord in Totham under the Bishop of London St Paul; and Everard, recorded as "Euerardus filius Brientii", who was a juror on the Inquisitio Comitatus Cantabrigiensis and whose name is listed in first place in the Domesday Book entry for Cambridgeshire's Cheveley Hundred where Brian's brother Alan Rufus was the principal magnate, held land in Ashley and in Saxon Street (villages either side of Cheveley village) under Aubrey de Vere I, a magnate and Breton subordinate of Alan's; another to "Brian's wife" as a Lord of the third listed property in Stepney (together with Roger the Sheriff) of which the tenant-in-chief was the Bishop of London St Paul.Codnor Castle
Codnor Castle is a ruined 13th-century castle in Derbyshire, England. The land around Codnor came under the jurisdiction of William Peverel after the Norman conquest. Although registered as a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade II Listed Building the site is officially, as at 2016, a Building at Risk.Eastwood, Nottinghamshire
Eastwood is a former coal mining town in the Broxtowe district of Nottinghamshire, England, 8 miles (13 km) northwest of Nottingham and 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Derby on the border between Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Mentioned in Domesday Book, it expanded rapidly during the Industrial Revolution. The Midland Railway was formed here, and it is the birthplace of D. H. Lawrence. Eastwood is one of the few places where the distinctive dialect of East Midlands English is extensively spoken, in which the name is pronounced .Emmington
Emmington is a village in Chinnor civil parish about 4.5 miles (7 km) southeast of Thame in Oxfordshire.Forest of High Peak
The Forest of High Peak was, in medieval times, a moorland forest covering most of the north west of Derbyshire, England, extending as far south as Tideswell and Buxton. From the time of the Norman Conquest it was established as a royal hunting reserve, administered by William Peverel, a follower of William I, who was based at Peveril Castle.
The south western area between the River Wye and Kinder Scout was relatively open country, which was enclosed by a low wall, sufficient to keep out cattle and sheep but allow the deer to roam. The area was known as Campana, the other two being Hopedale and Longdendale. The point where they met is to this day marked by Edale Cross.
As well as his custodianship of the Forest, William also held a number of manors that formed part of what was recorded in the Domesday Survey as the Honour of Peverel. His son, also William, was granted a number of further manors, such that the Peverels could regard it as their demesne, apart from the manors of Muchedeswell and Tickhill which belonged to Henry de Ferrers.
However, in 1154 the estate was confiscated by King Henry II who rebuilt Peveril Castle in 1176. In 1189 Richard I gave the honour of the Peak to John the Count of Mortain. Later Edward II bestowed it briefly to his favourite Piers de Gaveston and then under Edward II it passed in 1345 to John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey. John died in 1347 and it passed to Edward's wife Philippa of Hainault. Finally in 1372 it was granted to John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster. When his son Henry IV ascended the throne the Honour of the Peak passed to the crown along with all the other holdings of the Duchy of Lancaster, such as Duffield Frith. Subsequently, the manor and forest of High Peak were leased in perpetuity to the dukes of Devonshire.Hatfield Peverel
Hatfield Peverel is a large urban village and civil parish at the centre of Essex, England. The 2004 parish population, including the hamlet of Nounsley, was approximately 5,500. Hatfield means a 'heathery space in the forest'; Peverel refers to William Peverel, the Norman knight granted lands in the area by William the Conqueror after the Norman invasion of 1066. Sited on high ground east of the River Ter, between Boreham and Witham on the A12, it is situated in the southern extremity of the Braintree District Council area (to which it elects two members).
Hatfield Peverel is 6 miles (10 km) northeast from Chelmsford, the nearest large town, to which it is connected by road and rail. Hatfield Peverel railway station is on the Abellio Greater Anglia East Anglia rail network. London is 45 minutes away by train, a journey to Colchester takes 30 minutes and provides access to and from Witham, London and Ipswich. The station is open seven days a week, though ticket office opening times vary. There is a notable railway viaduct across the River Ter just west of the station.
Hatfield Peverel is the site of a priory founded by the Saxon Ingelrica, wife of Ranulph Peverel and reputed to be the mistress of William the Conqueror, to atone for her sins, and dissolved by Henry VIII. The parish church, St Andrew's (Church of England) is the surviving fragment of the Norman priory church nave. There is also a Methodist Church and a Salvation Army (northeast London headquarters) congregation. The village has a Junior School (St Andrew's C of E) and an adjacent County Infant School, and Scout and Guide organisations with headquarters in Church Road, a Post Office, library, and doctors' surgery. Hatfield Peverel was the site of a Arla Foods factory which closed in July 2016, it used to produce dairy products, and other small business concerns. The factory which has subsequently been demolished and there are plans to build up to 177 houses on the former site. There are six public houses, a farm shop and other retail outlets. Major houses include Berwick Place, Crix, Hatfield Place, Hatfield Wick, and The Priory.
The parish council meets at the Village Hall. The community is diverse. There are transport links, for employment and entertainment, connecting the wider area of Essex and the city. Local activities include a fete run by the Carter family. Richard Carter takes a group of children up to London weekly. He was awarded an OBE.Hatfield Peverel Station is seen in the 1976 film Exposé starring Linda Hayden and Fiona Richmond. The surrounding countryside is also seen.Hatfield Peverel Football Club has been established since 1903. Originally based at the Duke of Wellington Public House before moving to the Recreation Ground in 1936. The club are now based on the outskirts of the village at a former gravel pit at Wickham Bishops Road and fields men's, ladies and junior teams.Hatfield Peverel Priory
51.768942°N 0.602896°E / 51.768942; 0.602896
Hatfield Peverel Priory (also known as Hatfield Priory) was a Benedictine priory in Essex, England, founded as a secular college before 1087 and converted into priory as a cell of St Albans by William Peverel ante 1100. It is in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England and is located on the south side of the village of Hatfield Peverel, about 5 miles north-east of Chelmsford. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, a timber frame structure dominated the property.According to tradition the priory was founded by the Saxon Ingelrica, wife of Ranulph Peverel and reputed to be the mistress of William the Conqueror, to atone for her sins. The parish church, St Andrew's (Church of England) is the surviving fragment of the Norman priory church nave.
The property was acquired by the Wright family when John Wright, a coachmaker, first landed his family in Essex in 1764. The current house, in a park designed by Richard Woods in 1765 and built in 1769, stands on a rise of land overlooking the Chelmer valley. The property passed to Wright's son, John Wright II, who died in 1796 without male issue. The estate then passed under entail to his nephew (i.e. his sister’s son) Peter Luard, who took the name and arms of Wright as required under the will. Peter (Luard) Wright, elder brother of William Wright Luard of The Lodge, Witham (and father of Admiral William Luard), occupied and expanded the property considerably, which remained in the family until 1928 when it was sold.High Peak, Derbyshire
High Peak is a borough in Derbyshire, England. Administered by High Peak Borough Council from Buxton and Glossop, it is mostly composed of high moorland plateau in the Dark Peak area of the Peak District National Park. The district stretches from Holme Moss in the north to Sterndale Moor in the south and from Hague Bar in the west to Bamford in the east. The population of the borough taken at the 2011 Census was 90,892.High Peak was the name of a hundred of the ancient county of Derbyshire covering roughly the same area as the current district. It may have derived its name from the ancient Forest of High Peak a royal hunting reserve, administered by William Peverel, a favourite of William I, who was based at Peak Castle. High Peak contains much of the Peak District National Park.
The district contains the highest point in both Derbyshire and the East Midlands, Kinder Scout, which stands at 636m (2,087 ft) above sea level.Honour of Peverel
The Honour of Peverel (also known as the Feudal Barony of the Peak) is a geographic area in the north of England comprising part of the historic feudal barony held by the Norman Peverel family. The honour was granted to William Peverel (c. 1050 – c. 1115) by William the Conqueror.The Honour is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, and consisted of substantial lands comprising 162 manors including:
Bolsover Castle - which became the seat of the Peverel family
Peveril Castle in Castleton, Derbyshire
Langar HallWilliam Peverel's son, William Peverel the Younger, inherited the honour, but, accused of treason by King Henry II, forfeited it, and the king then passed it to Ranulph de Gernon, 2nd Earl of Chester, who died before he could take possession.Lenton Priory
Lenton Priory was a Cluniac monastic house, founded by William Peverel in the early 12th century. The exact date of foundation is unknown but 1102-8 is frequently quoted. The priory was granted a large endowment of property in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire by its founder, however part of this property became the cause of violent disagreement following its seizure by the crown and its reassignment to Lichfield Cathedral. The priory was home mostly to French monks until the late 14th century when the priory was freed from the control of its foreign mother-house. From the 13th-century the priory struggled financially and was noted for "its poverty and indebtedness". The priory was dissolved as part of King Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries.Northampton Abbey of St James
The Northampton Abbey of St James was founded in Northampton in 1104-05 by William Peverel, as an Augustinian monastery for black canons, and was dedicated to St James. He endowed it with some forty acres in nearby Duston, the church of Duston, and the parish's mill.
The abbey's endowments were quickly increased and within a century the abbey was in possession of ten churches, mostly in Northamptonshire; in addition to these, the abbey also held farms, or received rents from some thirty different parishes in the county.One account concerning the abbey notes, "On the forfeiture of Peverel the manor of Duston was granted by Henry II to Walkelin de Duston, who afterwards adopted the religious habit and entered the abbey of St. James, of which he subsequently became abbot." The abbey church was rebuilt on a large scale during the reign of King Edward I and completed in around 1310. By the time of the dissolution it was reported that the monastery was well kept, the community held in high esteem and with a lot of good done for the poor of the area. Nonetheless, it was dissolved in 1538 and granted to Nicholas Giffard who converted the buildings into a mansion.
The abbey was located in the Abbots Way area, off the south side of Weedon Road in the town (see map). The former Express Lift factory including the lift-testing tower, was redeveloped for housing in 1999–2000. The site was known to occupy part of the precinct of the abbey. Excavations were carried out to determine the location and remains of any parts of the abbey. The abbey and a cemetery were located. The main buildings were preserved beneath the new housing development. The cemetery of c.300 burials was excavated during winter 2000–2001. The bones were anaylsed to determine the health and burial practices in the late medieval population of Northampton.294 burials were uncovered in well ordered rows, with many wooden coffins, graves lined with old ceramic roof-tiles, stone-lined graves and a single stone coffin suggesting the occupants of relatively high status. Use of the cemetery later was less orderly. Burials were in simple, shallow graves with just a shroud. On the south side was a stone-built building with two mortuary chapels. One had a stone-lined tomb, and a fragment of life-sized sculptured leg, with chain mail and a stirrup strap from a broken effigy. This may have happened at the dissolution of the abbey in 1538. A highly decorated grave slab and the remains of two skeletons had been unearthed in 1970.Analysis of the burials shows a large number of elderly people many having suffered from trauma such as leg fractures, fused and/or deformed leg joints and advanced spine degeneration. Many of these may have died in the abbey infirmary and further analysis is being undertaken.Nothing now remains except the tomb slab of Abbott de Flore in the vestry of Duston church.Peveril Castle
Peveril Castle (also Castleton Castle or Peak Castle) is a ruined 11th-century castle overlooking the village of Castleton in the English county of Derbyshire. It was the main settlement (or caput) of the feudal barony of William Peverel, known as the Honour of Peverel, and was founded some time between the Norman Conquest of 1066 and its first recorded mention in the Domesday Survey of 1086, by Peverel, who held lands in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire as a tenant-in-chief of the king. The town became the economic centre of the barony. The castle has views across the Hope Valley and Cave Dale.
William Peveril the Younger inherited his father's estates, but in 1155 they were confiscated by King Henry II. While in royal possession, Henry visited the castle in 1157, 1158, and 1164, the first time hosting King Malcolm IV of Scotland. During the Revolt of 1173–1174, the castle's garrison was increased from a porter and two watchmen to a force led by 20 knights shared with the castles of Bolsover and Nottingham. The Earls of Derby had a claim to the Peveril family's estates through marriage, and in 1199 William de Ferrers, the fourth earl, paid 2,000 marks for the Peak lordship, although the castle remained under royal control. The closest Peveril Castle came to seeing battle was in 1216, when King John gave the castle to William de Ferrers, but the castellan refused to relinquish control. Although they were both John's supporters, the king authorised the earl to use force to evict the castellan, who eventually capitulated, although there is no evidence that the castle was assaulted.
In 1223 the castle returned to the Crown. In the 13th century there were periods of building work at the castle, and by 1300 its final form had been established. Toward the end of the 14th century, the barony was granted to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. Having little use for the castle, he ordered some of its material to be stripped out for re-use, marking the beginning of its decline. From the time of John of Gaunt to the present day, the castle has been owned and administered by the Duchy of Lancaster. Peveril Castle became less important administratively, and by 1609 it was "very ruinous and serveth for no use". In the 19th century, Sir Walter Scott featured the castle in his novel Peveril of the Peak. The site is situated in a national park, and cared for by English Heritage. Peveril Castle is protected as a scheduled monument and a Grade I listed building.Sampford Peverell
Sampford Peverell is a village and civil parish in Mid-Devon, England. Its name reflects its inclusion in the Honour of Peverel, the lands of William Peverel and his family. His great-grandson, Hugh Peverell (the name had changed spelling), is buried in the village church of St John the Baptist. The parish is surrounded, clockwise from the north, by the parishes of Hockworthy, Holcombe Rogus, Burlescombe, Halberton and Uplowman.The two rectories were built in 1836, at the expense of the Grand Western Canal Company, in compensation for cutting through the grounds and demolishing the south wing of the Old Rectory which had been built for the use of Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII.The Great Western Railway opened a station at Sampford Peverell in 1932 but it closed on 5 October 1964; the site has since been reused as Tiverton Parkway railway station (opened in 1986).St Dogmaels Abbey
St Dogmael's Abbey is an abbey in St Dogmaels in Pembrokeshire, Wales, on the banks of the River Teifi and close to Cardigan and Poppit Sands. It is named after Dogmael, a 6th-century saint said to have been the son of Ithel ap Ceredig ap Cunedda Wledig, and also reputedly the cousin of Saint David.The abbey was built on or very close to the site of the pre-Norman conquest clas church of Llandudoch. It was founded between 1113 and 1115 for a prior and twelve monks of the Tironensian Order. The founders were Robert fitz Martin and his wife, Maud Peverel (sister of William Peverel the younger, d.1149). In 1120 Abbot William of Tiron consented to fitz Martin's request that the priory become an abbey. Abbot Fulchard was installed by Bishop Bernard of St David's. It remained a daughter house of Tiron, probably until its dissolution. However, in 1138, the village and abbey of St Dogmaels were sacked by Gruffudd ap Cynan's sons, Owain Gwynedd and Cadwaladr, acting with princes Anaraud and Cadell. In 1188, Gerald of Wales stayed at the abbey with Baldwin, Archbishop of Canterbury, whilst they gathered support for the Third Crusade on their preaching tour of Wales.
The earliest surviving remains date from the first half of the twelfth century. It seems that sufficient of the church was built to satisfy the immediate requirements of the monastery, but that the western part for the use of the laity, was not finished. The nave was completed in the thirteenth century, although without the intended aisles. Unusually the church lacks a west doorway, possibly because of the slope of the ground becomes steeper. The square-ended sanctuary was built over a vaulted crypt, possibly a repository for relics of St Dogmael. About the middle of the thirteenth century, the cloister was enlarged northwards; the cloister arcades were rebuilt in stone about the same time. The domestic quarters were extensively rebuilt at the end of the thirteenth or beginning of the fourteenth century. A new infirmary was built, followed by a chapter house In the fourteenth or fifteenth century, much of the west range was altered to provide improved accommodation for the abbot. A new wing was added for the abbot's guests. The last alteration to the church was the rebuilding of the north transept, with its elaborate fan vaulted roof. This happened in the early sixteenth century, not long before the suppression of the monastery. The lavish design indicates it may have been an individually distinct chapel, possibly built as a memorial to the founder's family, the lords of Cemais.The abbey was dissolved in 1536, along with hundreds of other houses whose annual income was less than £200. By this time, there were only eight monks and the abbot. The majority of the abbey's possessions were leased to John Bradshaw of Presteigne in Radnorshire. He built a mansion, probably within the abbey precinct.Substantial parts of the church survive, including the western end wall, the north wall, northern transept. The crypt, beneath the former eastern two bays of the presbytery is preserved to the springing of the vault. Fifteenth century floor tiles remain in large areas of the nave. The abbey is Grade I listed.The abbey was known for its library. One manuscript, a 13th-century copy of Eusebius's Historia Ecclesiastica, survives and is housed in St John's College, Cambridge.Tideswell
Tideswell is a village and civil parish in the Peak District of Derbyshire, in England. It lies 6 miles (9.7 km) east of Buxton on the B6049, in a wide valley on a limestone plateau, at an altitude of 1,000 feet (300 m) above sea level, and is within the District of Derbyshire Dales. The population (including Wheston) was 1,820 in 2001, increasing slightly to 1,827 at the 2011 Census, making it the second-largest settlement within the National Park, after Bakewell.William Peverel the Younger
William "the Younger" Peverel (c. 1080–1155) was the son of William Peverel. He lived in Nottingham, England.He married Avicia de Lancaster (1088 – c. 1150) in La Marche, Normandy, France. She was the daughter of William de Lancaster I and Countess Gundred de Warenne, daughter of William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey. In 1114, she bore a daughter, Margaret Peverel. Another member of his family, Maude Peverel (a sister or daughter) was - by 1120 - the first wife of Robert fitz Martin.
William inherited the Honour of Peverel.
He was a principal supporter of King Stephen, and a commander in the Battle of the Standard. He was captured at The Battle of Lincoln.King Henry II dispossessed William of the Honour in 1153, for conspiring to poison the Earl of Chester - though historians speculate that the King wished to punish him for his 'wickedness and treason' in supporting King Stephen. The Earl died before he took possession of the Honour, and it stayed in the Crown for about a half century.William the Younger
William the Younger may refer to:
William Peverel the Younger (c. 1080–1155), son of William Peverel
William of Jülich (died 1304), known as the Younger
William IV, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (c. 1425–1503), called William the Younger
William the Younger, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1535–1592)
William Alexander (the younger) (c. 1602–1638), founder of the Scottish colony at Port-Royal
William Cawley (younger) (born c. 1628), English lawyer and politician
William Faithorne the Younger (1656–1701?), English mezzotint engraver
William Morgan (of Tredegar, younger) (1725–1763), Welsh politician
William Pitt the Younger (1759–1806), British statesman
William Heberden the Younger (1767–1845), British physician
William Godwin the Younger (1803–1832), English reporter and author
William Holl the Younger (1807–1871), English portrait and figure engraver
William Urwick the younger (1826–1905), Anglo-Irish nonconformist minister and antiquarian chronicler