Weare, New Hampshire
Town Hall c. 1915
"A Part of Yesterday in Touch with Tomorrow"
|• Board of Selectmen||Frederick Hippler, Chair|
|• Town Administrator||Naomi L. Bolton|
|• Total||59.9 sq mi (155.1 km2)|
|• Land||58.8 sq mi (152.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2) 1.74%|
|Elevation||633 ft (193 m)|
|• Density||150/sq mi (57/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0873749|
It was granted to veterans of the Canadian wars in 1735 by Governor Jonathan Belcher, who named it Beverly-Canada after their hometown, Beverly, Massachusetts. But the charter was ruled invalid because of a prior claim by the Masonian proprietors, who granted six square miles as Hale's Town to Ichabod Robie in 1749. It was also known as Robie's Town or Weare's Town before being incorporated by Governor Benning Wentworth in 1764 as Weare, after Meshech Weare, who served as the town's first clerk and later went on to become New Hampshire's first governor.
In 1834, Moses Cartland founded Clinton Grove Academy, the first Quaker seminary in the state. A cousin of John Greenleaf Whittier, Cartland named the village where the school was located Clinton Grove, in honor of Dewitt Clinton, chief sponsor of the Erie Canal. The original academy served as a private high school. The complex, which included a classroom building, boarding house, barn and sheds, burned in 1872. Classes were then held in the Quaker meetinghouse across the common until 1874, when a new building was completed. It would serve as the Weare school district from 1877 to 1938.
On September 21, 1938, following several days of heavy rain, the New England Hurricane of 1938 passed through the center of New England. The additional rains from the storm caused the Deering Reservoir dam to breach, releasing a wall of water that rushed down to the Weare Reservoir dam. Although the dam held, the flash flood broke through the land at the side of the dam, releasing millions of gallons of reservoir water. The raging river, completely out of control, washed away everything in its path, leaving parts of Weare devastated. Many active mills were destroyed in the disaster.
In response to the disaster and seasonal flooding, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built the 2,000-foot (610 m) long Everett Dam, as part of the Hopkinton-Everett Flood Control Project, which had been authorized by Congress to prevent a recurrence of the devastating floods. The overall project was completed in 1963 at a total cost of $21,400,000. The dam required the village of East Weare to be permanently abandoned, and formed Everett Lake.
In 2005, the town was proposed as the site of the Lost Liberty Hotel, a farmhouse owned at the time by U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice David Souter. The effort to seize Souter's property for the project, in retaliation for a June 2005 court ruling he supported concerning eminent domain, received international media coverage. However, at the February 4, 2006, deliberative session of the town meeting, a warrant article that would have empowered town officials to take the property was amended by residents in a way that made the March 14, 2006, ballot measure moot.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 59.9 square miles (155.1 km2), of which 58.8 sq mi (152.3 km2) is land and 1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2) is water, comprising 1.74% of the town. Weare is drained by the Piscataquog River, which is impounded by Lake Horace in the northwest and by Everett Lake in the northeast. The three highest summits in Weare form a cluster near the center of town. From south to north, they are Mount Dearborn, at 1,211 feet (369 m) above sea level, Mine Hill 1,211 feet (369 m), and Mount Wallingford, approximately 1,210 feet (370 m).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,776 people, 2,618 households, and 2,117 families residing in the town. The population density was 132.1 people per square mile (51.0/km²). There were 2,828 housing units at an average density of 48.1 per square mile (18.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.25% White, 0.17% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.22% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
There were 2,618 households out of which 48.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.0% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.1% were non-families. 13.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.97 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the town, the population was spread out with 32.0% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 36.8% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 4.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $59,924, and the median income for a family was $62,661. Males had a median income of $38,986 versus $27,643 for females. The per capita income for the town was $22,217. About 1.5% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.1% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
Weare has one elementary school, Center Woods Elementary School, serving children in kindergarten through fourth grade.
Weare Middle School serves children from fifth through eighth grade.
High school students in Weare and Henniker attend John Stark Regional High School.
The Amos Chase House and Mill are a historic property on New Hampshire Route 114, just south of the Piscataquog River in Weare, New Hampshire. The mill, built about 1849, is the last 19th-century mill standing in Weare, and the house, built about 1836, is a good example of vernacular Greek Revival architecture. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.Caleb Whittaker Place
The Caleb Whittaker Place is a historic house on Perkins Pond Road in Weare, New Hampshire. Probably built about 1765 by an early settler, it is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the town, notable for its remarkably unaltered interior. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Clough State Park
Clough State Park is a state park in Weare, New Hampshire, on Everett Lake, a 150-acre (60 ha) lake formed by a dam on the Piscataquog River. The park has a 900-foot (270 m) sandy beach, playing fields, and a large picnic area.
Activities in the park include swimming, hiking, fishing, picnicking and non-motorized boating.Elma Gove
Elma Mary Gove (1832–1921) was an American painter.
Born in Weare, New Hampshire, Gove was the daughter of Hiram and Mary Sargent Gove; her father was a hatmaker who later became a self-trained physician, and her mother was an early advocate for women's rights. By 1848 the couple was estranged. They divorced in that year – one precipitating event was Hiram's kidnapping of Elma, which her mother soon put right. Mary soon remarried, and Elma travelled to New York City to study as an artist; in 1848 she enrolled in the antique class of the National Academy of Design for the year. She identified herself upon registration as a "painter", suggesting that she already had some experience in the role. With the annual show of 1849, at which she exhibited three crayon portraits, she began to participate in the Academy's exhibitions. Over the following fifteen years she continued to work in crayon, but she branched out into oils as well; at the 1851 annual exhibition she showed two portraits, including one of Eliphalet Nott. Gove continued showing at the Academy until 1864; she also presented work at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and the Boston Athenaeum. She was mainly a portraitist, but produced genre pieces and religious works as well. Her paintings were owned by James Renwick Brevoort and Edward W. Nichols, among others, and a portrait by her of Nichols is in the collection of the National Academy of Design.Gove lived in New York from around 1849 at least until 1855; in 1857 and 1858 she is known to have been in Cincinnati. While there, she received a medal in 1857 for her crayon drawings, which she exhibited at the annual show of the Ohio Mechanics' Institute. Among her patrons in the city was Henry Worrall, who loaned one of her charcoal portraits to an exhibition of the Cincinnati Associated Artists in 1866. By 1859 she was back in Brooklyn, briefly, before establishing a studio at 806 Broadway. There she remained at least until 1864. By 1866 she was giving her address as Paris when providing work for exhibits; in 1870 she was noted as being on her way to Great Malvern. She married one Thomas Letchworth soon after arriving in England, and the couple had two children. It appears that she remained in England for the rest of her life.Gary Myers (lawyer)
Gary Rowland Myers (born January 1, 1944) is an American lawyer with a worldwide practice focusing on military law.Gene Robinson
Vicky Gene Robinson (born May 29, 1947) is a former bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire. Robinson was elected bishop coadjutor in 2003 and succeeded as bishop diocesan in March 2004. Before becoming bishop, he served as Canon to the Ordinary for the Diocese of New Hampshire.
Robinson is widely known for being the first priest in an openly gay relationship to be consecrated a bishop in a major Christian denomination believing in the historic episcopate, a matter of significant controversy. After his election, many theologically conservative Episcopalians in the United States abandoned the Episcopal Church, formed the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) and aligned themselves with bishops outside the Episcopal Church in the United States, a process called the Anglican realignment. His story has appeared in print and film.
In 2010 Robinson announced his intention to retire in 2013, at 65. His successor is A. Robert Hirschfeld.Granite State Communications
Granite State Communications is a telecommunications company based in Weare, New Hampshire providing telephone, internet, fiber, and television services to seven towns across the southern part of the state.Irene Shepard
Irene James Shepard (May 14, 1922 – April 13, 2014) was an American educator and politician.
Born in Calais, Maine, Shepard received her bachelor's degree from University of Maine. She then taught French and lived in Hopkinton, New Hampshire. Shepard served in the New Hampshire House of Representatives, in 1975, 1977, 1979, 1983, and 1985, as a Republican. In 1985, Shepard moved to Weare, New Hampshire. Shepard died in Concord, New Hampshire.Jesse Gove
Jesse Augustus Gove (December 5, 1824 – June 27, 1862) was an American soldier and lawyer, noteworthy for his military career and his role as a colonel in the American Civil War. After graduating from the American Literary Scientific and Military Academy at Norwich, Vermont, Gove served in the Mexican–American War. After the war, he left the army and became a lawyer in New Hampshire, then returned to army service in 1855. During the Civil War he was colonel of the 22nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and was killed leading that regiment in the Battle of Gaines' Mill.John Stark Regional High School
John Stark Regional High School is a coeducational regional public high school in Weare, New Hampshire serving the communities of Weare and Henniker, New Hampshire. It is part of School Administrative Unit (SAU) 24, and is administered by the John Stark School District. John Stark Regional is named after General John Stark, who served in the American Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War.Jonathan Stone
Jonathan Stone (April 29, 1823 – November 26, 1897) was a Massachusetts politician who served on the Common Council, and as the twelfth and last mayor, of Charlestown, Massachusetts; and on the Revere, Massachusetts, Board of Selectmen.Meshech Weare
Meshech Weare (June 16, 1713 – January 14, 1786) was an American farmer, lawyer, and revolutionary statesman from Seabrook and Hampton Falls, New Hampshire. He served as the first President of New Hampshire from 1776 to 1785.North Weare Schoolhouse
The North Weare Schoolhouse is a historic school building on Old Concord State Road in northern Weare, New Hampshire. Built about 1856, it is a stylistically distinctive vernacular mixing of Federal, Greek Revival, and Italianate styling. It is the most architecturally distinctive of Weare's surviving 19th-century schoolhouses. It was used as a public school until 1952, and then served as a grange hall until the 1980s. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.Oliver Ernesto Branch
Oliver Ernesto Branch (July 19, 1847 – June 22, 1916) was an American lawyer and politician from Weare, New Hampshire, who served in the New Hampshire House of Representatives and as the United States Attorney for the District of New Hampshire.Phineas J. Stone
Phineas Jones Stone (May 23, 1810 – August 12, 1891) was a Massachusetts politician who served as a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives as a member of the Board of Selectmen for the Town of Charlestown, Massachusetts, as a member of and president of the Common Council and as the seventh mayor of the City of Charlestown, Massachusetts.Weare
Weare may refer to:
Weare, New Hampshire, USA
Weare, Somerset, England
Weare Giffard, Devon, England
Weare Township, Michigan, USA
William Weare (disambiguation)Weare Reservoir
Weare Reservoir is a 268-acre (1.08 km2) impoundment on the Piscataquog River in Hillsborough County in southern New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Weare. The reservoir is also known as Lake Horace.
It is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including rainbow trout, brown trout, smallmouth and largemouth bass, chain pickerel, horned pout, and black crappie.Weare School District
Weare School District is the school district serving Weare, New Hampshire, United States. It is part of School Administrative Unit 24. The two schools in the district are Center Woods Elementary School and Weare Middle School. High school students go to John Stark Regional High School, part of its own multi-town school district within SAU 24.Weare Town House
The Weare Town House is a historic New England meeting house on New Hampshire Route 114 in Weare, New Hampshire. Built in 1837, it is a good example of a period town hall/church combination with Federal and Gothic Revival features. Although its religious use has ended, it continues to be used for town offices as well as civic and social functions. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Places adjacent to Weare, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States