Wayne State University Press (or WSU Press) is a university press that is part of Wayne State University. It publishes under its own name and also the imprints Painted Turtle and Great Lakes Books Series.
|Wayne State University Press|
|Parent company||Wayne State University|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Detroit, Michigan|
Scholarly Book Services (Canada)
Eurospan Group (EMEA)
East West Export Books (Asia and the Pacific)
|Publication types||books, journals|
|Imprints||Painted Turtle and Great Lakes Books|
The Press has strong subject areas in Africana studies; children's studies; fairy-tale and folklore studies; film, television, and media studies; Jewish studies; regional interest; and speech and language pathology. Wayne State University Press also publishes eleven academic journals, including Marvels & Tales, and several trade publications, including Yamasaki in Detroit: A Search for Serenity by author John Gallagher and The Detroit Symphony Orchestra: Grace, Grit, and Glory, by authors Laurie Lanzen Harris and Paul Ganson, as well as the Made in Michigan Writers Series.
WSU Press is located in the Leonard N. Simons Building designed by famed architect Albert Kahn and is located on Wayne State University's main campus in the heart of Midtown Detroit; one block south of Warren Avenue and two blocks south of the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Detroit Public Library.
An editorial board approves the Wayne State University Press's titles. The board considers proposals and manuscripts presented by WSU Press's acquisitions department. WSU Press also has a fundraising group, the Board of Visitors, dedicated to raising funds for the Press to support the publication of specific titles.
Officially, WSU Press is an auxiliary unit of the university and receives an annual subvention that partially covers the cost of its operation. For the most part, WSU Press relies on revenue generated through the sale of its publications to meet its operating expenses.
The Wayne State University Press was founded in 1941 when faculty members of (then) Wayne University volunteered to establish a publishing entity to "assist the University in the encouragement and dissemination of scholarly learning". An English professor ran the press, then known as Wayne University Press, for years as a side project only. It was not until 1954 that WSU Press developed into a full-fledged publisher destined to have a national and international role in the creation of scholarly and trade books and journals.
The architecture of metropolitan Detroit continues to attract the attention of architects and preservationists alike. With one of the world's recognizable skylines, Detroit's waterfront panorama shows a variety of architectural styles. The city's historic Art Deco skyscrapers blend with the post-modern neogothic spires of One Detroit Center. Together with the Renaissance Center, they form the city's distinctive skyline.
Detroit's architecture is recognized as being among the finest in the U.S. with the National Trust for Historic Preservation listing many of Detroit's skyscrapers and buildings as some of America's most endangered landmarks. Detroit has one of the largest surviving collections of late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century buildings in the U.S. Meanwhile, the suburbs contain some significant contemporary architecture and several historic estates.Bankers Trust Company Building, Detroit
The Bankers Trust Company Building is an office building located at 205 West Congress Street in Downtown Detroit, Michigan, within the Financial District. Designed by Wirt C. Rowland of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls and completed in 1925, the ornately modeled building is an exquisite example of Italian Romanesque Revival architecture.Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Building
The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Building is a skyscraper located at 600 East Lafayette Boulevard in Downtown Detroit, Michigan, near the Renaissance Center complex. It is also known as the Blue Cross Blue Shield Service Center. It was constructed in 1971, and stands at 22 floors. The building was constructed in a sunken plaza. It houses Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. The campus in downtown Detroit also includes offices for 3,000 employees at Towers 500 and 600 of the Renaissance Center linked by the Detroit People Mover.Cadillac Tower
The Cadillac Tower is a 40-story, 133.4 m (438 ft) Neo-Gothic skyscraper designed by the architectural firm of Bonnah & Chaffee at 65 Cadillac Square in Downtown Detroit, Michigan, not far from Renaissance Center. The building's materials include terra cotta and brick. It was built in 1927 as Barlum Tower. At the top of the tower is a tall guyed mast for local radio stations WMXD, WLLZ and television station WLPC-CD. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament
The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament is a decorated Gothic Revival style Roman Catholic cathedral church in the United States. It is the seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit. The metropolitan archdiocese for the Roman Catholic Ecclesiastical Province of Detroit includes all dioceses in the state of Michigan; in addition, in 2000 the archdiocese accepted pastoral responsibility for the Roman Catholic Church in the Cayman Islands, which consists of Saint Ignatius Parish on Grand Cayman (the Archdiocese of Kingston maintains a mission sui iuris jurisdiction over the Cayman Islands). The cathedral is located at 9844 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, adjacent to Detroit's Boston-Edison Historic District. The cathedral was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.DTE Energy Headquarters
DTE Energy Headquarters is a class-A office complex at I-75 and Grand River on the west side of Downtown Detroit, Michigan. It consists of three buildings: Detroit Edison Plaza, DTE Energy Building, and the Detroit Edison Company Service Building.First National Building
The First National Building is a skyscraper and class-A office center in Downtown Detroit, Michigan, within the Detroit Financial District. The building is located across the streets from Cadillac Tower and One Detroit Center, and stands next to the Vinton Building.Fort Washington Plaza
Fort Washington Plaza is located at the corner of West Fort Street and Washington Boulevard in downtown Detroit, Michigan. It occupies the entire block bordered by West Fort Street, Washington Boulevard, Cass Avenue, and West Congress Street. The high-rise office building stands 16 stories in height. It was built in 1969, and includes a parking garage. It was designed in the international architectural style. It uses mainly concrete and glass.Fyfe Building
The Fyfe Building is located at 10 West Adams Street, at the corner of Adams Street and Woodward Avenue in Downtown Detroit, Michigan. It faces onto Central United Methodist Church, and Grand Circus Park.Guardian Building
The Guardian Building is a landmark skyscraper in the United States, located at 500 Griswold Street in Downtown Detroit, Michigan, within the Financial District. The Guardian is a class-A office building owned by Wayne County, Michigan and serves as its headquarters. Built in 1928 and finished in 1929, the building was originally called the Union Trust Building and is a bold example of Art Deco architecture, including art moderne designs. At the top of the Guardian Building's spire is a large U.S. flag, complementing the four smaller flags atop nearby 150 West Jefferson. The building has undergone recent award-winning renovations. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on June 29, 1989, and the associated Detroit Financial District is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Guardian building includes retail and a tourist gift shop.John M. Donaldson
John M. Donaldson (January 17, 1854 – December 20, 1941) was an American architect and artist born on January 17, 1854, in Stirling, Scotland. Donaldson was principal designer of the successful Detroit-based architectural firm Donaldson and Meier from 1880 onwards.Julius Theodore Melchers
Julius Theodore Melchers (1829–1908) was a German born American sculptor and teacher who immigrated to the United States leaving Prussia after 1848 and resided in Detroit, Michigan after 1855 . During the Gilded Age, he became a "sculptor of great renown in the Detroit area." The Julius T. Melchers House (1897) by Donaldson and Meier is located at 723 Seyburn, in the Indian Village Historic District on which Julius carved the ornate gable. The likelihood that Melchers left Europe, as did so many other in and after the turbulent year of 1848 for political reasons is somewhat supported that he named his son (called, "Gari") after the famous Italian patriot and revolutionary Garibaldi.Keweenaw Peninsula
The Keweenaw Peninsula ( KEE-wi-naw, sometimes locally /ˈkiːvənɔː/) is the northernmost part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It projects into Lake Superior and was the site of the first copper boom in the United States. As of the 2000 census, its population was roughly 43,200. Its major industries are now logging and tourism, as well as jobs related to Michigan Technological University and Finlandia University.Most Holy Redeemer Church (Detroit, Michigan)
The Most Holy Redeemer Church is located at 1721 Junction Street in Southwest Detroit, Michigan, within the West Vernor-Junction Historic District. The church was once estimated as the largest Roman Catholic parish in North America. West Vernor-Junction Historic District is adjacent to Mexicantown and contains a growing Mexican community and resurgent neighborhood.Raphael Patai
Raphael Patai (Hebrew רפאל פטאי; November 22, 1910 − July 20, 1996), born Ervin György Patai, was a Hungarian-Jewish ethnographer, historian, Orientalist and anthropologist.Water Board Building
The Water Board Building is a high-rise office building located at 735 Randolph Street in downtown Detroit, Michigan. It was constructed in 1928 and stands at 23 stories tall. It was designed by Louis Kamper in the Art Deco architectural style, and its materials include granite, limestone, marble, and terra cotta.Wayne County Building
The Wayne County Building is a lowrise government structure located at 600 Randolph Street in Downtown Detroit, Michigan. It formerly contained the Wayne County administrative offices – now located in the Guardian Building at 500 Griswold Street – and its courthouse. As Wayne County Courthouse, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. When it was completed in 1902, it was regarded as "one of the most sumptuous buildings in Michigan".Wright–Kay Building
The Wright–Kay Building, originally known as the Schwankovsky Temple of Music, is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Detroit, Michigan. It is located at 1500 Woodward Avenue, at the corner of Woodward and John R. Street, in proximity to the Lower Woodward Avenue Historic District. The building was listed on the State of Michigan's Historical Register in 1980 as #P25241.