Railway bridge across the Vaal River at Warrenton
|• Total||31.7 km2 (12.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,180 m (3,870 ft)|
|• Density||710/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||79.6%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
In 1880, a syndicate bought the western portion of the farm Grasbult to irrigate the fertile land and produce vegetables for the diamond fields. The town which grew here was named after Sir Charles Warren. Diamonds were discovered here in 1888 and mining continued to 1926.
Warrenton is situated in the north-eastern part of the Northern Cape province, on the south bank of the Vaal River, approximately 70 kilometres (40 mi) north of Kimberley, the provincial capital.
The town lies just downstream of the Vaalharts Dam, which supplies water to the Vaalharts Irrigation Scheme.
The main Cape Town–Kimberley–Johannesburg railway line also passes through the town, and the line to Mafikeng and Botswana branches off at Fourteen Streams, on the north bank of the Vaal opposite Warrenton.
In the 2011 Census the population of Warrenton, including the township of Ikutseng, was recorded as 22,588 people living in 5,615 households. 80% of the residents described themselves as "Black African", 14% as "Coloured", 5% as "White", and 1% as "Indian or Asian". 67% of the residents of the town speak Setswana as their first language, while 22% speak Afrikaans, 4% speak Xhosa and 2% speak Sotho.
Warrenton is the only town in the Magareng Local Municipality, which covers an area of 1,542 square kilometres (595 sq mi) between the Harts River and the Free State border. The municipal council is controlled by an African National Congress majority; the mayor is Bongile Mhaleni.<ref>"Contact information: Magareng Local Municipality". Government Communication and Information System. Retrieved 13 January 2014.</ref