The Warner River begins at the outlet of Todd Lake in Bradford, New Hampshire, 300 meters upstream of the confluence of the West Branch. The river flows east, receiving the outlet of Lake Massasecum, and enters the town of Warner. The small river has a long whitewater section in western Warner, passing under the Waterloo Covered Bridge next to an old railroad station, then reaches Interstate 89, after which the river flattens and meanders over gravel bars. A small waterfall at Davisville interrupts the flatwater, which resumes to the river's end, just north of the village of Contoocook, New Hampshire, in the town of Hopkinton.
New Hampshire Route 103 follows the Warner River for most of the river's length.
The Bement Covered Bridge is a historic wooden covered bridge on Center Road over the Warner River in Bradford, New Hampshire. A Long truss bridge, it was built in 1854, and is one of New Hampshire's small number of surviving 19th-century covered bridges. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.Contoocook River
The Contoocook River () is a 71-mile-long (114 km) river in New Hampshire. It flows from Pool Pond and Contoocook Lake on the Jaffrey/Rindge border to Penacook (just north of Concord), where it empties into the Merrimack River. It is one of only a few rivers in New Hampshire that flow in a predominantly northward direction. Three covered bridges span the river, one in the village of Contoocook in the town of Hopkinton, one in the town of Henniker, and a third on the Hancock-Greenfield line. Residents and tourists have made the Contoocook popular for fishing and whitewater boating.
The name Contoocook came from the Pennacook tribe of Native Americans and perhaps means "place of the river near pines." Other variations of the name include the Abenaki meaning "nut trees river" or Natick language meaning "small plantation at the river."The river gives its name to Contoocook, New Hampshire, a census-designated place (CDP) within the town of Hopkinton.Dalton Covered Bridge
The Dalton Covered Bridge, also called the Dalton Bridge, is a historic covered bridge that carries Joppa Road over the Warner River in Warner, New Hampshire. Its name refers to a nearby resident (first "Mrs. Dalton", then "Widow Dalton") at the time of its construction. The bridge was built in 1853 by Joshua Sanborn, and its original abutments were built by George Sawyer and Webster Davis; all were local residents. The bridge has a span of 76 feet (23 m), with a total bridge length (including portals and roof) of 84 feet (26 m). The bridge is 17 feet (5.2 m) wide, with a road bed width of 14 feet (4.3 m), although guard rails have reduced its usable width to just under 13 feet (4.0 m).The bridge uses a combination of truss types to support the load, following a patent issued in 1837 to Stephen Long, who also patented the Long truss. Its primary support mechanism is a king post truss, in which a vertical post is joined to chord members by iron bolts. This primary support is supplemented by a queen post truss system that flank the king truss walls. The trusses are mounted on abutments that are primarily fieldstone, but were capped in concrete in the 20th century. The mounting is secured by iron tension rods. The exterior walls of the bridge are vertical boarding with four windows; this finish was also rehabilitated in the 1960s. The gabled roof is made of corrugated metal.The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.Lake Massasecum
Lake Massasecum is a 409-acre (1.66 km2) water body located in Merrimack County in central New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Bradford. Outflow from the lake travels via the Warner River to the Contoocook River and then the Merrimack River.The lake is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including smallmouth and largemouth bass, black crappie, chain pickerel, and horned pout.In the past decade there has been an increase in Myriophyllum (more commonly known as "milfoil") in the lake, and local residents have been trying to stop its spread.Lake Solitude (New Hampshire)
Lake Solitude is a highland tarn located in western New Hampshire, United States, at the top of Sunapee Ridge between the main summit of Mount Sunapee and South Peak. The lake, covering 6 acres (2.4 ha), is approximately 832 feet (254 m) long by 383 feet (117 m) wide and is located within Mount Sunapee State Park in the town of Newbury. A popular hiking destination, Lake Solitude is accessible via the Andrew Brook Trail, the Newbury Trail, or the long-distance Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail. White Ledge, elevation 2,720 feet (830 m), rises steeply above the lake's west shore and provides expansive views. The lake is considered an important habitat for rare species and is off limits to swimmers and dogs.
Lake Solitude drains into Andrew Brook, thence into Todd Lake, the Warner River, the Contoocook River, then into the Merrimack River and the Atlantic Ocean.
The lake is classified as a coldwater fishery, with observed species including brook trout.Lane River
The Lane River is an 8.5-mile-long (13.7 km) stream located in central New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the Warner River, part of the Contoocook River (and ultimately Merrimack River) watershed.
The Lane River begins at the outlet of Kezar Lake in the village of North Sutton, New Hampshire. The river flows south through a broad wetland, incorporating the outflow of Gile Pond, then suddenly drops 140 feet (43 m) in 0.3 miles (0.5 km) to enter the village of Sutton. The river continues southeast through more wetlands and past the village of South Sutton, then becomes more rapid as it descends to the Warner River at the Sutton/Warner town line.List of rivers of New Hampshire
This is a list of rivers and significant streams in the U.S. state of New Hampshire.
All watercourses named "River" (freshwater or tidal) are listed here, as well as other streams which are either subject to the New Hampshire Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act or are more than 10 miles (16 km) long. New Hampshire rivers and streams qualify for state shoreland protection (and are listed here in bold) if they are fourth-order or larger water bodies, based on the Strahler method of stream order classification.Mount Kearsarge (Merrimack County, New Hampshire)
Mount Kearsarge is a mountain located in Wilmot, New Hampshire, and Warner, New Hampshire. Two state parks are located at the northern and southern bases of the mountain—Winslow State Park and Rollins State Park, respectively—and the entire mountain is within Kearsarge Mountain State Forest. On a very clear day, skyscrapers in the city of Boston 80 miles (130 km) away are visible from the fire tower on the summit. The summit has remained bare since a 1796 forest fire.
The name of the mountain evolved from a 1652 rendering of the native Pennacook tribal name for the mountain, Carasarga, which it is surmised means "notch-pointed-mountain of pines".Mount Sunapee
Mount Sunapee (or Sunapee Mountain on federal maps) is a 5-mile-long (8.0 km) mountain ridge in the towns of Newbury and Goshen in western New Hampshire, United States. Its highest peak, at the north end of the mountain, is 2,726 feet (831 m) above sea level. The mountain has three secondary peaks, White Ledges at 2,716 ft (828 m); North Peak at 2,280 ft (695 m); and South Peak at 2,608 ft (795 m). The north end of the mountain, including the summit, is within Mount Sunapee State Park, which encompasses 3.85 square miles (10.0 km2) and is home to the popular Mount Sunapee Resort. The mountain extends south to Pillsbury State Park in the towns of Goshen and Washington.
The entire mountain ridge is traversed by the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway, a hiking trail that links the summit of Sunapee with that of Mount Monadnock, 50 miles (80 km) to the south in the town of Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Also crossing the summit in an east-west route is a section of the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway, a 75-mile (121 km) trail linking ten towns in west-central New Hampshire as it circles the Lake Sunapee region and crosses the summits of the three mountains for which it is named. The two Greenway trails meet at Lake Solitude and use the same trail to the summit.National Register of Historic Places listings in Merrimack County, New Hampshire
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Merrimack County, New Hampshire.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. Latitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these locations may be seen together in a map.There are 88 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, including 2 National Historic Landmarks.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted July 18, 2019.Newbury, New Hampshire
Newbury is a town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,072 at the 2010 census. Newbury is home to part of Lake Sunapee, including Mount Sunapee State Park Beach. Mount Sunapee Resort, a ski area in Mount Sunapee State Park, is in the west. The town includes the villages of Blodgett Landing and South Newbury.Sutton, New Hampshire
Sutton is a town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 1,837 at the 2010 census. Sutton includes the villages of Sutton Mills (shown as "Sutton" on topographic maps), North Sutton, South Sutton and East Sutton. North Sutton is home to Wadleigh State Park on Kezar Lake.Warner, New Hampshire
Warner is a town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,833 at the 2010 census. The town is home to Northeast Catholic College, Rollins State Park and Mount Kearsarge State Forest.
The town's central settlement, where 444 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the Warner census-designated place (CDP), and is located along New Hampshire Route 103 and the Warner River. The town also includes the villages of Davisville, Lower Village, Melvin Mills, and Waterloo.Warner (CDP), New Hampshire
Warner is a census-designated place (CDP) and the central village in the town of Warner in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population of the CDP was 444 at the 2010 census, out of 2,833 in the entire town of Warner.Waterloo Covered Bridge
The Waterloo Covered Bridge carries Newmarket Road over the Warner River near the Waterloo Falls in Warner, New Hampshire. The Town lattice truss bridge was built in 1859-60, replacing an earlier span at the same location, and is one of New Hampshire's few surviving 19th-century covered bridges. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, and included in the Waterloo Historic District in 2003.Waterloo Historic District (Warner, New Hampshire)
The Waterloo Historic District encompasses the site of one of the first mills on the Warner River, near the Waterloo Falls in Warner, New Hampshire. The 50-acre (20 ha) district includes most of the original 60-acre (24 ha) land grant for the mill site. It extends along Waterloo Street and Newmarket Street for a length of about 1 mile (1.6 km), from where Newmarket Street crosses the Warner River to where Waterloo Street crosses a brook. In addition to its industrial history, the district is notable for being home to two nationally known politicians: William E. Chandler (1835-1917), who served as United States Senator and as United States Secretary of the Navy, and Nehemiah G. Ordway (1828-1907), the seventh governor of the Dakota Territory.This part of Warner was first sold off for development in the 1770s, and the first sawmill was operating by 1789. The oldest surviving house in the district, a 1.5 story Cape style house, was built in 1791, and a significant number of houses in the district were built before 1820. William Chandler's house, purchased by him in 1872, was built in 1805, and he purchased a nearby 1820s house for staff he needed for entertaining high-profile guests. Nehemiah Ordway's house, at the corner of Newmarket and Waterloo, was built in 1828, but was restyled in the early 20th century to give it a Colonial Revival appearance.Several non-residential buildings have survived, although most have been repurposed into residences. The Bean Tavern is a Georgian structure built in 1793. Two structures that served as train stations survive, one built in 1849, which was moved a short distance to make way for the second, built in 1910. The principal surviving industrial building is the 1836 Chandler Mill, whose surviving 2.5 story portion stands off Newmarket Street between the railroad tracks and the river. Remnants of earlier mill foundations lie nearby. The district also includes a cemetery (1815), and a c. 1810 one-room schoolhouse.The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It also includes the Waterloo Covered Bridge, a separately-listed bridge which carries Newmarket Street over the river.West Branch Warner River
The West Branch of the Warner River is a 6.5-mile-long (10.5 km) river located in central New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the Warner River, part of the Contoocook River (and ultimately Merrimack River) watershed.
The West Branch rises in the southwest corner of Newbury, New Hampshire on the eastern slopes of Mount Sunapee. Flowing east, it quickly enters the town of Bradford, reaching the Warner River at the town center.
|Gulf of Maine|
|Long Island Sound|