St Clements and St Ninians Church, Wallyford
|Population||2,431 (2001 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Wallyford has a station on the Edinburgh to North Berwick railway line, operated by Abellio ScotRail. A ParknRide facility houses this station. There are excellent bus services. It has a primary/nursery school, playgroup, community centre, church, library, post office, social club/groups and a few small convenience stores and takeaways. An industrial estate houses several small businesses. The village was initially populated by coal miners and later grew as an overspill/commuter town for workers in Musselburgh and Edinburgh. A tribute to the miners can be found marked on a stone through the main road (Salters Road) of the village. There has been a major investment in the area which has resulted in the building of many private homes. Excavation is now underway for further expansion of the village to create a new town centre, school and housing. The village is overlooked by the restored Fa'side Castle which was destroyed by the English after the Battle of Pinkie in 1546. In 2016, construction begin to regenerate the village. A new, replacement Primary School is planned to be completed by February 2019. A new village high street/centre will be created alongside a legible hierarchy of roads and footpaths, maximising connections throughout but in particular to the Village Centre and Community Woodland.
Victorian writer Margaret Oliphant was born in Wallyford on 4 April 1828. Among her best-known works were Katie Stewart, The Carlingford Chronicles and Tales of the Seen and Unseen. She died in Wimbledon on 25 June 1897 and was buried in Eton Cemetery near Windsor.
Elections to East Lothian Council were held on 6 April 1995, the same day as the other Scottish local government elections.1999 East Lothian Council election
Elections to East Lothian Council were held on 6 May 1999, the same day as the other Scottish local government elections and the Scottish Parliament general election.2017 East Lothian Council election
Elections to East Lothian Council will be held on 4 May 2017 on the same day as the other Scottish local government elections. The election will consist of 6 wards electing three or four Councillors using the single transferable vote system a form of proportional representation, with 22 Councillors elected.
This election features revised ward boundaries to three wards resulting in the reduction of the number of East Lothian councillors from 23 to 22. Two former Musselburgh wards are being merged and will lose Wallyford and Whitecraig with 4 councillors to be elected. The bulk of the previous Fa'side ward will become Tranent/Wallyford/Macmerry. Haddington and Lammermuir ward expands with the addition of Ormiston and Pencaitland and gains a councillor.Auchinleck Greyhound Stadium
Auchinleck Greyhound Stadium was a greyhound racing stadium in East Ayrshire.Brunstane
Brunstane is a northeastern suburb of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland. It lies on the A1 and is served by Brunstane railway station on the Borders Railway.
Brunstane partly consists of new housing, such as the Gilberstoun estate, and also contains the 1950s council housing schemes known as Magdalene and the Christians, which are south and north of Milton Road respectively.
Prominent local features include the Milton Road campus of the Edinburgh College and Edinburgh's largest Asda supermarket. Extensive shopping and some leisure facilities are close by at the Fort Kinnaird retail park nearby, on the site of the former Newcraighall coalmine.Clyde Valley Greyhound Track
Clyde Valley Greyhound Track was a greyhound racing track on Airbles Road, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The racecourse was situated between Airbles Road and Hamilton Road on the edge of Logans Plantation (now Strathclyde Country Park).
The sports ground opened to greyhound racing on 22 July 1932 and was independent (unaffiliated to a governing body). Boxing events and Speedway also took place here at various times. The final meeting took place in December 1959. It competed for many years with another independent track called the Parkneuk Sports Stadium on Milton Street.
The site became a bus depot which has since been demolished and is due to be replaced by a housing development.Clydeholm
Clydeholm was a football and greyhound racing stadium in Clydebank, Scotland. It was the home ground of the first Clydebank F.C. to play in the Scottish Football League.East Lothian
East Lothian (; Scottish Gaelic: Lodainn an Ear) is one of the 32 council areas of Scotland, a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area. The county was also known as Haddingtonshire.
East Lothian lies south of the Firth of Forth in the eastern central Lowlands of Scotland, east of the City of Edinburgh (historically within Midlothian) and also bordering Midlothian and Berwickshire within the modern Scottish Borders area. Its administrative centre and county town is Haddington and the largest town is Musselburgh which was historically in Midlothian. In 1975, the historic county was incorporated for local government purposes into the Lothian region as East Lothian District, with some slight alterations of its boundaries. The Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 later created East Lothian as one of 32 modern council areas.
Haddingtonshire has ancient origins and is named in a charter of 1139 as Hadintunschira and in another of 1141 as Hadintunshire. Three of the county's towns were designated as royal burghs: Haddington, Dunbar, and North Berwick.
As with the rest of Lothian, it formed part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Bernicia and later the Kingdom of Northumbria. Popular legend suggests that it was at a battle between the Picts and Angles in the East Lothian village of Athelstaneford in 823 that the flag of Scotland was conceived. From the 10th century, Lothian transferred from the Kingdom of England to the authority of the monarchs of Scotland. It was a cross-point in battles between England and Scotland and later the site of a significant Jacobite victory against Government forces in the Battle of Prestonpans. In the 19th century, the county is mentioned in the Gazetteer for Scotland as chiefly agricultural, with farming, fishing and coal-mining forming significant parts of the local economy.Granvue Greyhound Stadium
Granvue Greyhound Stadium was a greyhound racing stadium in Stevenston, North Ayrshire, Scotland.
The stadium was built in 1933 and accessed on the south side of Hillside Street. It was constructed on the old Auchenharvie Colliery. The greyhound racing was independent (unaffiliated to a governing body) and started on 23 June 1933. The centre of the track was used for scrambling races by the Stevenston Motorcycle club. It closed in 1967 and is now the site of the Auchenharvie golf driving range.Halcrow Stadium
Halcrow Stadium was a greyhound racing stadium in Annan Road, Gretna, ScotlandHumbug Park
Humbug Park also previously known as Crossgates Greyhound Stadium is a football ground and former greyhound racing track on Inverkeithing Road in Crossgates, Fife, Scotland.Jock Wallace Jr.
John Martin Bokas "Jock" Wallace (6 September 1935 – 24 July 1996) was a professional Scottish football player and manager. His father, Jock Wallace Sr., was a goalkeeper for Raith Rovers, Blackpool and Derby County.
Wallace has the unique distinction of being the only player ever to play in the English, Welsh and Scottish Cups in the same season. This was set during the 1966–67 season where he played in the FA Cup and Welsh Cup for Hereford United, and in the Scottish Cup when he moved to Berwick Rangers.
Wallyford-born Wallace, as manager of Rangers over two spells in the 1970s and 1980s, was to become one of Scottish football's best-known and most successful coaches.Musselburgh
Musselburgh (, Scottish Gaelic: Baile nam Feusgan) is the largest settlement in East Lothian, Scotland, on the coast of the Firth of Forth, 5 miles (8 km) east of Edinburgh city centre. The population of Musselburgh is 21,900.Tranent
Tranent is a town in East Lothian (formerly Haddingtonshire), in the south-east of Scotland. It is near the A1 road, 2 miles (3 km) southeast of Prestonpans and about 9 miles (14 km) east of Edinburgh. It is one of the oldest towns in East Lothian, and built on a gentle slope, about 90 metres (300 ft) above sea level. The population of the town is approximately 12,582, an increase of over 4,000 since 2001, making it the second most populated town in East Lothian after Musselburgh. Tranent was formerly a major mining town, but now serves as a commuter town for Edinburgh.Wallyford Greyhound Stadium
Wallyford Greyhound Stadium was a greyhound racing track in Wallyford, Musselburgh, East Lothian, Scotland.
The stadium also known as Scarlett Park was situated on the south side of the East Coast Main Line railway and opposite housing at Forthview which no longer exists.The stadium hosted greyhound racing in the 1930s with evidence of racing before May 1937. The circuit consisted of race distances over 285, 470 and 660 yards. An 'Inside Sumner' hare was installed and the principal events run at the track were the East Lothian Sprint and East Lothian Derby. The stadium was independent (unaffiliated to a governing body) and council plans to demolish the stadium in 1986 resulted in closure for a few months before re-opening in 1987. Two years later planning permission was given for housing re-development which led to the eventual closure in 1992. The site today is housing named Scarlett Park after the track.
In 1998 East Lothian businessman Howard Wallace planned to build a new stadium to the west of the housing development not far from the original site of the old Scarlett Park. It would be called the Victory Lane stadium but problems and planning issues have resulted in a steel skeleton and an uncertain future.Wallyford railway station
Wallyford railway station is a railway station serving the town of Wallyford, East Lothian near Musselburgh in Scotland. It is located on the East Coast Main Line, 7 1⁄2 miles (12.1 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley. It was opened by Railtrack in 1994 and is served by trains on the North Berwick Line.William Binning
Sir William Binning of Wallyford (1637–1711) was a 17th-century Scottish landowner who served as Lord Provost of Edinburgh from 1675 to 1677.William Harvey Murray
William Harvey Murray (September 2, 1916 – July 7, 1991) was a political figure in British Columbia, Canada. He represented Prince Rupert in the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia from 1956 to 1972 as a Social Credit member.
He was born in Wallyford, a community on the outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland, the son of Robert Kirkwood Murray and Agnes Gordon Harvey. Murray was a clerk with the British Columbia Forest Service, owned and managed the Crest Hotel in Prince Rupert and also worked as an accountant. He served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II. In 1946, he married Gwyneth Margaret Walker. He ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the British Columbia assembly in 1953. Murray was speaker for the British Columbia assembly from 1964 to 1972. He was defeated by Graham Lea when he ran for reelection in 1972.He died in 1991 of lung cancer.Willie Park Sr.
William Park Sr. (30 June 1833 – 25 July 1903) was a Scottish professional golfer. He was a 4-time winner of the Open Championship.
East Lothian towns & villages