The Villa District, also known as Villa Historic District, (Polish: Polskie Wille) is a historic district in Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is located on Chicago's Northwest Side within the community area of Irving Park. Its borders are along Pulaski Road to the west, the Union Pacific/Northwest rail line to the north, Hamlin Avenue to the east, and Addison Street to the south. Located directly north of the Wacławowo area of Avondale, the Villa District is serviced by the Blue Line's Addison street station.
The district was built in 1902 by a number of architects, many of them visibly influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright's Prairie Style of architecture. Most notable among these were bungalows designed by the architectural firm of Hatzfeld and Knox, whose partner Clarence Hatzfeld would later design the fieldhouse and natatorium at Portage Park. The area was originally developed as the "Villa addition to Irving Park" and showcases many unique Craftsman and Prairie style homes fronting on picturesque boulevard style streets. Although St. Wenceslaus church, a majestic Romanesque-Art Deco hybrid draws many of the tourists visiting the area, this historic church is actually a few blocks south of the district's formal boundaries.
The Villa district was the northwest "bookend" for Chicago's vaunted Polish Corridor along Milwaukee Avenue that extended from Division and Ashland Avenue at Polonia Triangle. Journalist Mike Royko famously dubbed the area as the Polish Kenilworth after the posh suburb of Chicago's North Shore.
The Villa Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 11, 1979. Its area was increased on March 10, 1983 by the addition of the Villa Apartments, 3948-3952 and 3949-3953 W. Waveland Ave.
Villa Historic District
Intersection of Springfield and Waveland Avenues
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Built||1902; 1913; other|
|Architect||Hatzfeld, Clarence; Knox, Arthur; et al.|
|Architectural style||Bungalow/Craftsman, Other|
|NRHP reference #||79000830 (original)|
|Added to NRHP||11 Sep 1979 (original)|
10 Mar 1983 (increase)
|Designated CL||November 23, 1983|
Addison Street is a major east–west street on the north side of Chicago. Wrigley Field is located at 1060 West Addison Street, which is the home of the Chicago Cubs.Addison station (CTA Blue Line)
Addison is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system, serving the Blue Line. It is also the only station whose coordinates are equal (3600 N/3600 W). It is the first station in the median of the Kennedy Expressway located between the Avondale neighborhood and Irving Park neighborhood. The Villa District is accessible by this station.Avondale, Chicago
Avondale () is one of Chicago's 77 officially designated community areas. It is on the Northwest Side of the city. The northern border is the Addison Street from the north branch of the Chicago River in the east to Pulaski Road in the west. The neighborhood extends further west along Belmont Avenue to the Union Pacific/Northwest Line. Its southern border is Diversey Avenue from the Union Pacific/Northwest Line to the Chicago River.Blue Line (CTA)
The Blue Line, also known as the O'Hare-Congress Line and the West-Northwest Line, is a 26.93-mile-long (43.34 km) Chicago "L" line which extends through the Loop from O'Hare International Airport at the far northwest end of the city, through downtown via the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway and across the West Side to its southwest end at Forest Park, with a total of 33 stations. It is the CTA's second busiest rail line, with an average of 186,796 passengers boarding each weekday in September 2012.
The Blue Line and Red Line are two routes of the Chicago "L" system that operate 24 hours a day every day of the year, and the CTA is one of only five rapid transit systems in the United States to do so (the others are the PATCO Speedline, Staten Island Railway, the PATH system, and the New York City Subway). The Blue Line is also one of only two lines with more than one station with the same name, with the Green Line being the other (It has two stations at Harlem Avenue: one in the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest side and one on the south side of the Eisenhower Expressway in Forest Park, Illinois. It also has two stations on Western Avenue: one on the O'Hare branch and one on the Congress branch). The Blue Line also has only three in-system transfers (all in the Loop), contains a combination of both the oldest and newest portions of 'L' tracks, and does not share tracks with any other 'L' line.
Before the adoption of color-coded names, the Blue Line was referred to as the West-Northwest Route (which it is still sometimes referred to as today) or more commonly, the O'Hare-Congress-Douglas route for its three branches. The Congress and Douglas branches were renamed for their terminals, Forest Park and 54th/Cermak, when the current color naming system was adopted in 1993. Blue Line service on the Douglas Branch was discontinued in April 2008 and replaced by the Pink Line.The Blue Line is one of five 'L' lines that run into Chicago suburbs, with the others being the Green, Purple, Pink, and Yellow lines. The Blue Line actually runs through three, making it the rail line that runs through the most suburbs on the Chicago 'L' system.Burgberg (Erlangen)
The Burgberg, also sometimes referred to as Strawberry Hill, is a 332 meters high sandstone hill in Erlangen, Germany. It was quarried in the 15th century and its southern slope has been used to house beer cellars since 1675. The cellar storage made Erlangen a pioneer concerning beer exports. The "Erlangen Bergkirchweih" has taken place in and around the cellars every Whitsun since 1775.FA Women's National League
The FA Women's National League is a Football Association-branded league and is run by an elected management committee. It sits at step 3 and 4 of the Women's Pyramid of Football pyramid in England, supporting and underpinning the Women's Super League (WSL) and the Women's Championship.Falkum
Falkum is a neighborhood in Skien, Norway with 15,234 residents. It is a high-density, youthful neighborhood with a high percentage of families headed by single parents. Falkum is largely a working-class neighbourhood, with a mix of low and high income residents, as well as many immigrants.Golden Sands
Golden Sands (Bulgarian: Златни пясъци, Zlatni pyasatsi) is a major seaside resort town on the northern Bulgarian Black Sea Coast, adjacent to a national park of the same name in the municipality of Varna.
Located 17 km north of downtown Varna, it is virtually connected to the city by a continuous swath of resorts and villa communities. It is a popular tourist destination, drawing many visitors from Romania, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the United Kingdom, Russia, Scandinavia, France, Central and Eastern Europe, the Persian Gulf, Israel, and other countries.Hostýnská elementary school
Hostýnská elementary school (Czech: ZŠ Hostýnská) is an elementary school in the Prague 10 district of Prague, Czech Republic. The building was designed according to a project by ing. arch. Pešta and its opening ceremony took place in March 1968. The school is situated in the quiet surroundings of a residential villa district, park and the new housing estate of Malešice.Irving Park, Chicago
Irving Park is one of 77 officially designated Chicago community areas located on the Northwest Side. It is bounded by the Chicago River on the east, the Milwaukee Road railroad tracks on the west, Addison Street on the south and Montrose Avenue on the north, west of Pulaski Road stretching to encompass the region between Belmont Avenue on the south and, roughly, Leland Avenue on the north. It is named after the American author Washington Irving.
Old Irving Park, bounded by Montrose Avenue, Pulaski Road, Addison Street and Cicero Avenue, has a variety of housing stock, with Queen Anne, Victorian, and Italianate homes, a few farmhouses and numerous bungalows.
The CTA Blue Line runs through this neighborhood, with stops at Addison, Irving Park, and Montrose.Jefferson Park (Chicago)
Jefferson Park is a 7-acre (2.8 ha) park in the Jefferson Park community area of Chicago, Illinois on the National Register of Historic Places.Lake Villa, Illinois
Lake Villa is a village in Lake County, Illinois United States. The population was 8,741 at the 2010 census, up from 5,864 in 2000. Lake Villa lies within Lake Villa Township.Lindenhurst, Illinois
Lindenhurst is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States. The population was 14,462 at the 2010 census. Lindenhurst lies within Lake Villa Township.Milwaukee Avenue (Chicago)
Milwaukee Avenue is a street in the city of Chicago and the northern suburbs.Olvera
Olvera is a town in the province of Cádiz, Andalusia, Spain. According to the 2005 census, the city has a population of 8,585 inhabitants.Parks in Chicago
Parks in Chicago include open spaces and facilities, developed and managed by the Chicago Park District. The City of Chicago devotes 8.5% of its total land acreage to parkland, which ranked it 13th among high-density population cities in the United States in 2012. Since the 1830s, the official motto of Chicago has been Urbs in horto, Latin for "City in a garden" for its commitment to parkland. In addition to serving residents, a number of these parks also double as tourist destinations, most notably Lincoln Park, Chicago's largest park, visited by over 20 million people each year, is one of the most visited parks in the United States. Notable architects, artists and landscape architects have contributed to the 570 parks, including Daniel Burnham, Frederick Law Olmsted, Jens Jensen, Dwight Perkins, Frank Gehry, and Lorado Taft.Prairie School
Prairie School is a late 19th- and early 20th-century architectural style, most common to the Midwestern United States. The style is usually marked by horizontal lines, flat or hipped roofs with broad overhanging eaves, windows grouped in horizontal bands, integration with the landscape, solid construction, craftsmanship, and discipline in the use of ornament. Horizontal lines were thought to evoke and relate to the wide, flat, treeless expanses of America's native prairie landscape.
The Prairie School was an attempt at developing an indigenous North American style of architecture in symphony with the ideals and design aesthetics of the Arts and Crafts Movement, with which it shared an embrace of handcrafting and craftsman guilds as an antidote to the dehumanizing effects of mass production.
The term Prairie School was not actually used by practitioners of the style. Architect Marion Mahony, for example, preferred the phrase The Chicago Group.
Its term was coined by H. Allen Brooks, one of the first architectural historians to write extensively about the movement and its work.Pulaski Road (Chicago)
Pulaski Road () is a major north-south street in the city of Chicago, at 4000 W., or exactly five miles west of State Street. It is named after American Revolutionary War hero Casimir Pulaski.
Pulaski Road was originally known as 40th Avenue. In 1913 it was renamed for Peter Crawford, an early area landowner, in order to avoid duplication of the 40th Street name in the city. The name Crawford Avenue lasted until 1935 when, over local opposition and a legal battle all the way to the Illinois Supreme Court, the street was renamed for Pulaski. Among the many Polish city leaders who worked to achieve "Pulaski Road" was Emilia Napieralska, the president of the Chicago chapter of the Polish Women's Alliance of America.
Pulaski Road still retains its former Crawford Avenue name in the north suburbs of Lincolnwood, Skokie, and Evanston. In Wilmette, Crawford becomes Hunter Road. North of Devon Avenue (6400 N) and south from the Chicago City Limits to Lincoln Highway US-30.St. Wenceslaus Church, Chicago
St. Wenceslaus (Polish: Kościół Świętego Wacława) is a church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago located at 3400 North Monticello Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois.
One of the many Polish churches visible from the Kennedy Expressway, is along with St. Hyacinth Basilica, one of two monumental religious edifices that dominates the Avondale skyline. It is well known for its unique architecture, as well as being the site where photographer and historic preservationist Richard Nickel was married.Although the historic church is a stop for many of the tourists visiting the landmark Villa District, this majestic Romanesque-Art Deco hybrid is actually a few blocks south of the district's formal boundaries. St Wenceslaus is accessible via the Blue Line's Addison street station.
|Recognized by the |
City of Chicago
|Other districts and areas|
recognized by the community
Chicago Landmark districts
|National Historic Landmark,|
National Register of Historic Places,
Chicago Landmark districts
|National Register of Historic Places,|
Chicago Landmark districts
|Chicago Landmark districts|
|National Register of Historic Places|
|Lists by state|
|Lists by insular areas|
|Lists by associated state|