The Varsity Line (or the Oxford to Cambridge railway line) is the railway route that used to link the English university cities of Oxford and Cambridge, operated by the London and North Western Railway.
During World War II the line was adopted as a strategic route for freight avoiding London, and additional connections were made to nearby lines to improve the utility of the route. In fact the route was not greatly used for its intended purpose. After the war the line was again scheduled to be developed as a strategic route, but this scheme too was never fully implemented.
Passenger services were withdrawn from most of the line in 1967, and only the Bletchley–Bedford section remained open for passenger traffic.
In 1987, the section between Oxford and Bicester was reopened, followed in 2015 by a connection to the Chiltern Main Line at Bicester, enabling Chiltern Railways to operate an Oxford to London passenger service. There are funded plans for the entire line to be re-established by the "mid 2020s" (partly on a new route) under a new name – East West Rail.
Bletchley station, at the midpoint of the line, in 1962
|Status||Operational: Bletchley–Bedford, Oxford–Bicester Village|
Rebuild scheduled: Bicester Village–Bletchley
|Locale||South East England|
|Closed||1968: Bedford to Cambridge; Oxford-Bletchley (to Passengers)|
1993:mothballed Claydon Junction–Bletchley (to all traffic)
|Operator(s)||Chiltern Railways (Oxford–Bicester)|
London Midland (Bletchley–Bedford)
|Number of tracks||1–2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Oxford to Cambridge line, when completed, ran broadly west to east. In the early days there were five intersecting trunk lines running south to north:
Two other trunk routes, the Great Western Railway's Bicester cut-off and the Great Central Railway main line, were built later. Although a continuous line from Oxford to Cambridge was proposed from time to time, it was actually built by local schemes.
From west to east, these were:
In time, these sections were all incorporated into the London and North Western Railway.
The London and Birmingham Railway opened on 9 April 1838 as far north as Denbigh Hall, near the later Milton Keynes, passing through Bletchley. It was extended further northwards on 17 September 1838.
In 1836, proposals were put forward to build a line from Cambridge to join the L&BR (still under construction) at Bletchley; the line would have passed through Bedford, but the scheme was not taken forward. The obvious enhancement to the prosperity of Aylesbury following that town's connection to the L&BR changed attitudes, and as time passed, Bedford business interests sought a connection to the main line railway. In 1844 George Stephenson visited Bedford to discuss the matter. At a meeting on 23 April 1844 he set out his proposed scheme, for a line to Bedford joining the L&BR main line at Bletchley. Bletchley was not then a settlement, and some opinions recommended Wolverton, which was, as the junction.
A prospectus for the Bedford and London & Birmingham Railway was prepared; the capital was to be £125,000. On 16 July 1846 the London and Birmingham Railway amalgamated with others, and formed the London and North Western Railway. A proposed extension of the Bedford line on to Cambridge through Hitchin was submitted to Parliament in the 1846 session but failed standing orders.  The line to Bedford opened on 17 November 1846, when a ceremonial opening took 600 persons from Bedford to Bletchley in a special train. The new line had a connection to the River Great Ouse at Bedford, trailing from the Bletchley direction.[note 1] The Bedford station was not yet ready at the time of opening. The commercial benefit to Bedford, already well served by coastal water-borne commerce over the River Great Ouse, is indicated by the immediate fall of coal prices, from 1s 9d to 11d per cwt. There were four passenger trains each way, Sunday excepted, but this was soon enhanced to five each way, one of which was limited-stop, and two Sunday trains. Immediately on opening the Bedford Railway was absorbed into the London and North Western Railway. The terms were 4% per annum on the capital, plus half of any surplus. The LNWR had subscribed 1,522 of the 2,500 shares.
The Oxford and Bletchley Junction Railway and the Buckingham and Brackley Junction Railway had both been authorised in 1846, and before construction the two schemes were amalgamated to form the Buckinghamshire Railway, authorised by Act of Parliament on 22 July 1847.[note 2] The new company would form a Y shape from Bletchley to both Oxford and Banbury. The 1847 powers also included an extension to Banbury, connecting to the Oxford and Rugby Railway there. and a southward extension from Verney Junction to join the Aylesbury branch. The scheme was encouraged by the London and North Western Railway, which wished to block northward encroachment from the Great Western Railway, whose area of influence at the time was further south.
The junction that became Verney Junction was known at first as Claydon Junction; the name Verney Junction was given to the station that was later established there. When the World War II link from the Great Central Railway main line was made, the junction there was called Claydon LNE Junction to emphasise the distinction.
Following authorisation of the Buckinghamshire company, the directors determined on 10 November 1847 to press ahead with the Banbury line in preference to the Oxford line. Work started on the last day of 1847. The line opened from Bletchley to Banbury on 1 May 1850 for passenger traffic, and goods trains started on 15 May 1850.
Opening of the Oxford line (from Claydon Junction, at first as a single track only) followed relatively swiftly: to Islip on 1 October 1850; on to Oxford Road on 2 December 1850. This station was at the crossing of the present-day A4165 road, and therefore near to the modern Oxford Parkway station. Horse omnibuses and carts connected the station with Oxford itself. The line was extended to the company's own station at Oxford on 20 May 1851. It was a single track west of Claydon Junction.
The 1853 passenger timetable shows 4 trains each way daily except Sundays, the first trains each way divided and joined Buckingham portions at Winslow. The journey time Oxford to Bletchley was 75 minutes and a typical journey Oxford to London took about 2 hours 45 minutes.
The company had its own station at Oxford. It was fortunate in finding a site: Rewley Abbey had long since fallen into ruins, and the site was made available. Approaching trains crossed a swing bridge over the Sheepwash Channel to reach it. The junction with Oxford and Rugby Railway at Banbury was not made by the company, and the southwards extension from Verney was abandoned for the time being.
The LNWR provided more than half the capital and worked the line from the beginning, and leased it for 999 years from 1 July 1851 guaranteeing a 4% dividend to the other shareholders. The LNWR absorbed the Buckinghamshire Railway company on 21 July 1879. Early in 1854 the line from Verney Junction to Oxford was doubled, completing double track along the full length of the line. Verney was a junction, but no station was built until 1868, prompted by the construction of the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway.
The Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway was authorised as a broad gauge line on 4 August 1845. Its line was to be 89 miles in length, connecting to the Great Western Railway at Wolvercot Junction, just north of Oxford. The cost of the line was heavy, and the estimates fell considerably short, so that the company was constantly short of funds during the construction period. For some time it concentrated its resources on the northern part of the authorised line.
Although the OW&WR had originally been expected to be an ally of the GWR, the friendly relations cooled, and the London and North Western Railway (as owner of the Oxford to Bletchley line) developed good relations with the OW&WR. The LNWR tried to negotiate a takeover of the OW&WR, but this was rejected in Parliament; and in 1852 a direct connection between the LNWR Bletchley line and the OW&WR was also thrown out. In 1853 however the proposed connection (later known as the Yarnton Spur) was approved, and on 4 June 1853 the OW&WR had opened its line as far as Wolvercot Junction, its southern extremity.
The Yarnton Spur was a short double-track line, 1 mile 49 chains (1.61 mi; 2.6 km) in length, from Oxford Road Junction to Yarnton, and it was opened on 1 April 1854. The LNWR at once started operating through passenger services between Euston and Wolverhampton, via Bletchley, Yarnton Spur and the OW&WR. The trains were worked by the LNWR as far as Hanborough, and also from Dudley to Wolverhampton LNWR station via the South Staffordshire curve at Tipton.
The Buckinghamshire Railway connection at Bletchley left in a southward direction, and a west to south chord was brought into use there in October 1854 to permit direct running between Euston and the Buckinghamshire line.
A west to south curve to the Yarnton Spur was opened, allowing direct access from the OW&WR line to the LNWR Oxford station; this was used chiefly for goods traffic, but in the autumn of 1857 local passenger trains used it during a period of exceptionally strained relations between the OW&WR and the GWR.
The service to London over the LNWR ceased by 1 September 1861; the west to south curve at Yarnton was reduced to a through siding only shortly afterwards, and the west to south curve at Bletchley was closed and lifted in 1864. Nevertheless the goods and mineral traffic from the OW&WR line remained considerable; Lawrence, writing in 1910, said that, "In March last, no fewer than 7,500 coal trucks made use of the loop."
There was a junction but no station at Verney Junction until 1868, when the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway completed their line from Aylesbury to Verney. The Great Western Railway worked the A&BR trains until the company was absorbed by the Metropolitan Railway in 1891, becoming the northern terminus of the Metropolitan Railway. Two Pullman cars worked to Baker Street daily.
The Oxford to Cambridge line crossed under the Midland main line, and there were two separate passenger stations. In November 1855 officers of the Midland Railway and the LNWR met to consider the construction of a joint station at Bedford. It would have been a little to the west of the contemporary LNWR station. The scheme was agreed to be desirable and feasible, but the Midland Railway board declined to approve it, and it foundered.
The Sandy and Potton Railway was planned by Captain Sir William Peel. He had settled in Potton, and conceived a railway running almost entirely over his own lands, connecting with the Great Northern Railway at Sandy. His objective was purely altruistic. The length of the line was 3 1⁄2 miles, and an opening ceremony was held in June 1857. The line opened to public goods traffic on 23 June 1857. A Board of Trade inspection took place on 5 November 1857, and this was successful, enabling opening of the line to passengers on 9 November 1857. Peel acquired a locomotive for the line from George England and Co. of Hatcham; it was named Shannon, after the frigate commanded by Peel.[note 3] A locomotive was hired from the GNR on one or two occasions, and passenger rolling stock was supplied by the GNR. The line had cost £15,000 to build.
The GNR had allowed Captain Peel to terminate his line in their Sandy goods yard, on condition that he would remove his works if the GNR required the site. Captain Peel died in April 1858 in Cawnpore, (now Kanpur, India.
In 1859 the Cambridge aspirations of several railway companies were competing for Parliamentary approval. A proposed Bedford, Potton and Cambridge Railway was thrown out, but the reverse showed that an alliance with the Great Northern Railway might prove fruitful.
In the 1860 session of Parliament, the Bedford and Cambridge Railway (as it now styled itself) got the Royal Assent on 6 August 1860. The Great Northern Railway hoped to build from Shepreth to this new line near Lords Bridge and gain access to Cambridge, by-passing the hostile, and even spiteful, Eastern Counties Railway.
The Bedford and Cambridge Railway was to take over the Sandy and Potton Railway and use its alignment. The route chosen entered the southern extremity of Cambridge alongside the Eastern Counties route from London, at Cambridge being permitted to use a platform at the ECR station. There was to be a separate LNWR goods station west of Hills Road.
In fact the construction significantly overran cost estimates, and the company had to confer with the LNWR (as prospective lessee) about how to raise the extra cash. The authorised capital had been £240,000, and this had never fully been subscribed, and after opening the estimated cost to complete had risen to £370,175. This at last proved to be accurate. There was acrimony between the companies, but the LNWR underwrote the extra capital, and after considerable further negotiation, the LNWR absorbed the Bedford and Cambridge Railway Company by a share conversion, equating to 4% on the £240,000 original capital.
It opened on 7 July 1862 for passengers, and for goods in October 1862. The Sandy and Potton Railway had been purchased for £20,000. On 1 July 1862 the Eastern Counties Railway was restructured into the Great Eastern Railway.
The May 1864 working timetable shows four passenger trains running throughout from Cambridge to Bletchley, and one early train from Bedford to Bletchley, and three goods trains. One Sunday passenger train is shown. Most of the passenger trains appear to continue to Oxford and London, probably by through coach attached to other trains.
The Midland Railway's London extension opened in 1857, at this stage to Hitchin. It crossed the LNWR line at Bedford by a (nearly) 90-degree flat crossing; although it was undesirable, it was considered an appropriate economy measure as compared with a bridge crossing.[note 4]
On 12 March 1875 a collision took place at the location, as an LNWR train was struck by a Midland train. The signals protecting the crossing were not of a modern description; the LNWR train started from the station and approached the crossing, fouling it against the stop signal at danger. One passenger died of injuries, and six persons were injured.
In the early twentieth century, railways sought lower-cost methods of operating passenger trains. The LNWR experimented with a steam railmotor. This was a single passenger coach, designed at Wolverton, with a small integrated steam locomotive. A railmotor was brought to Oxford for trials with a service to Bicester. However, during a trial run on 5 October 1905 the vehicle developed a hot axlebox, and the opening was deferred to the 9th. It was found to be capable of a top speed of 45 mph, and was timed for 30 minutes for the twelve miles to Bicester.
The vehicle had seats for 48 passengers in two saloons, smoking and non-smoking; the transverse seating had reversible backs, to allow passengers to face the direction in which they were going. They were considered by users to be very comfortable at the time. Woodwork was framed teak and the coach was lit electrically. Alighting and departing the vehicle at the ground level platforms of the halts was effected by a set of steps that swung out from the body of the vehicle. The steps were interlocked with the brakes. In 1905 there were six workings between Oxford and Bicester, with one additional on Thursday and Saturday, in each direction.
To facilitate the new service a number of small timber platform halts were built. The halts were unstaffed, as tickets were issued by a Conductor on the train. The first was Summertown Halt, opened on 20 August 1906; by the following January the name had been changed to Port Meadow. The remainder of the halts were opened on 9 October 1905.
From 1 December 1905 a steam railmotor was operated between Bedford and Bletchley also, and several new halts were opened here too. There were three vehicles, one being kept as a maintenance spare. 
The six halts were closed from 1 January 1917 because of the war, and reopened on 5 May 1919. The railmotors had limitations: they were underpowered and had limited accommodation, and suffered from reliability problems. They were replaced by auto trains about 1921; in this type of train a conventional locomotive operated with a coach specially adapted for the driver to control the train when being propelled. The auto trains and the halts west of Bicester were finally withdrawn during the General Strike on 25 October 1926; competition from road omnibuses had led to seriously declining usage.
Further east, the system continued: in 1959 the auto-trains were replaced by diesel multiple units, and at this time the remaining stopping points were given raised platforms.
The railmotor halts were, from Oxford to Islip: Summertown Halt, soon to be renamed Port Meadow; Wolvercote; Oxford Road, and between Islip and Bicester: Oddington, Charlton and Wendlebury Halt near Bicester. The eastern section halts were Bow Brickhill, Aspley Guise, Husborne Crawley, Wootton Pillinge, Wootton Broadmead, Kempston Hardwick, and Kempston & Elstow.
At the beginning of 1923, the main line railways of Great Britain were "grouped" into one or other of four new, large companies, in compliance with the Railways Act 1921. The LNWR and the Midland Railway were constituents of the new London Midland and Scottish Railway. The Great Western Railway absorbed a number of other concerns and continued under the same name. The Great Northern Railway and the Great Eastern Railway were constituents of the new London and North Eastern Railway.
The whole of the Oxford to Cambridge line was thus part of the new LMS. In the 1930s, the major railways adopted a novel form of collaboration in the interest of reducing operating expenses. In 1934 the Stationmaster of the GWR station at Oxford took over the management of the LMS station. Cartage lorries in Oxford carried the initials of both companies.
In 1931 the Michelin Tyre Company was trying to market an internal combustion (petrol) railcar which they named the Micheline. It was a ten-wheel articulated vehicle with pneumatic rubber tyres. It was tried on the line in 1932. Carrying only 24 passengers and with uncertain reliability, it had many of the disadvantages of the steam railmotors, and the trial did not lead to adoption of the system.[note 5]
On 12 September 1938 a new diesel railcar design started work on the line. It was a three-car articulated unit, powered by six 125 hp diesel engines; the design was stylish and futuristic, and included central control of sliding passenger doors by the guard. The train was designed at Derby LMS.
Three journeys throughout the Oxford to Cambridge line were undertaken daily, with some short fill-in trips. The journey time Oxford to Cambridge with three stops (Bletchley, Bedford and Sandy) was 1 hour 45 minutes, comparing favourable with the 3 hour steam train journey. The runs were not advertised in the ordinary timetables, but only by handbills locally.
The outbreak of World War II prevented further development of this experimental system.
In September 1939, war on Germany was declared by the United Kingdom. Aerial bombardment of UK cities and industrial sites was expected, and it was considered essential to create a trunk route for goods traffic avoiding London, which was expected to be the principal target of bombing. The Cambridge to Oxford route was selected to be the core of this route, because of its intersections with several trunk routes. Where existing connections between railways on the route were inadequate, relatively simple enhancements would resolve the difficulty.
Wragg describes the situation:
The solution was to build what amounted to a railway by-pass of London. Of necessity this was some distance from the capital, both to avoid disruption from heavy air raids, and also to utilise existing lines as far as possible. The start of this massive loop was the old London and North Western line from Cambridge to Oxford…
There were good existing connections in and out of this line at Bedford and Bletchley, but at Sandy and at Oxford time-consuming shunting movements would be necessary, so here again new connections were hastily installed and opened during 1940. There was no link at all at Calvert so a completely new link was created.
So in November 1940 Oxford North Junction was created, enabling through running from the Bletchley line towards Oxford GWR station. A south-to-east chord line was constructed at Claydon across an area called Shepherd's Furze, connecting the former Great Central Main Line with the line from Bletchley. This link proved a useful connection in addition to its emergency value, and it saw much traffic during the war.
At Bletchley, the old west-to-south curve, removed in 1864, was reinstated, opening on 31 August 1942. . The Bicester Military Railway was built; it served a very large depot for ordnance and equipment. The civilian railway authorities protested at the adverse impact the railway movements to and from the depot would have on the ordinary war effort of the LNWR line, and the Ministry of War Transport agreed to the building of a new 660 wagon capacity yard at Swanbourne, about 3 1⁄2 miles west of Bletchley.
Crump explains the strategic significance:
The combined length of [the Sandy and Claydon curves] cannot have been much more than a mile, but in conjunction with a link joining the Great Western and Southern lines at Staines they provided a route for trains from the Great Northern to run via Sandy, Bletchley, Calvert, High Wycombe, Greenford and Staines on to the Southern. This route would have been of the utmost use if the London junctions had been destroyed. Actually it was only used on a few occasions, and the operating difficulties were considerable.
In the late 1930's a site at Bicester was selected for a large Ordnance Depot to be road and rail served. Construction of the Depot began in July 1940. The railway part of the site would start from a junction with the Oxford to Bletchley line and encircle the two hills of Graven Hill and Arncott. By the end of 1941 the exchange sidings had been laid, and in 1942 the first troop train entered the depot from Bicester station. The site was heavily used during the war, particularly in the preparations for D-Day.
The Oxford connection was useful in peacetime and was retained. The same is true of the Claydon curve, which provided a useful route for certain freight flows, and for empty passenger stock moves. The Bicester and Sandy connections proved less useful, and were removed.
The main line railways of Great Britain were taken into state ownership at the beginning of 1948, pursuant to the Transport Act 1948. The entire line was in the London Midland Region of British Railways at first, but in 1951 the section from just east of Bicester to Oxford was transferred to the Western Region.
The operation of two passenger stations at Oxford was obviously wasteful and the wartime connection allowed trains from the Bletchley direction to run directly into the former GWR station.
In October 1951 a complete transfer of passenger operation at Oxford into the GWR station took place. Most goods workings were transferred to the former GWR Hinksey yard, and Rewley Road station handled only coal and some general goods traffic.
In the first years of British Railways, the organisation was beset with falling demand as costs increased. In 1955 a report, The Modernisation and Re-equipment of British Railways, was published. £1.2 billion would be spent on the project. Subsidiary reports recommended the development of the Oxford to Cambridge line as part of an outer freight ring route from Cambridge to Ashford (Kent) via Oxford, Reading and Tonbridge, keeping freight flows away from London. The cost was to be £15 million. A large marshalling yard was to be built at Swanbourne, and a flyover at Bletchley.
Gerard Fiennes was Chief Operating Officer, British Railways, at the time and wrote that he was convinced marshalling yards should be built in the areas of production and consumption, and not, like Swanbourne, in greenfield sites:
I did stop Swanbourne, Brookthorpe and Walcot [two other green field proposals]. The Bletchley flyover remains as a memorial to those who failed to see that railways must live by concentration and not dispersal. We had … driven … a pretty big nail into Swanbourne’s coffin by refusing to put into it any East Coast traffic. From that moment the writing was on the wall. Swanbourne should have been stopped then.
If development of passenger business on the line had been envisaged in 1955, that too was suddenly reversed, and in 1959 closure of the entire route was considered. However the introduction of diesel multiple unit passenger trains in that year substantially reduced operating costs, and the closure idea was rescinded. In the Beeching Report of 1963, retention of the line was recommended, with only minor curtailment, but in December 1963 closure was once again put forward, as income was only a little over half of operating expenses. Closure was approved, and most local freight facilities were withdrawn on 18 April 1966.
Following public protest passenger operation on the central section between Bedford and Bletchley was retained; delay in arranging substitute bus services resulted in the passenger closure of the remainder being deferred to 1 January 1968. The line from Bedford (Goldington Power Station) to the junction at Cambridge was closed completely; the wartime marshalling yard at Swanbourne was closed in March 1967.
On 7 October 1973 the line from Bicester to Oxford was reduced to single track. Following that time, for some years the chief use of the line was as a connection from Aylesbury via Claydon LNE Junction to Bletchley for stone trains, refuse trains from the Bristol area, and empty passenger stock movements.
In 1967 formal approval was given for the construction of a new town, Milton Keynes, incorporating the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford as well as a number of villages and hamlets. Its centre was located three miles north of Bletchley station, and a new Milton Keynes Central station was built on the West Coast Main Line, opening in 1982. This soon overtook Bletchley in importance on the main line, although Bedford line trains could not reach it without reversal.[note 6] As of the United Kingdom Census 2011 Milton Keynes has a population of 229,000.
By the end of the 1970s, it seemed likely the rest of the line would be demolished and the land sold. But pressure from local authorities (jointly as the East West Rail Consortium) prevented this.
In 1987 the Oxford to Bicester section was reopened to passenger use; Bicester station was renamed Bicester Town; the intermediate station at Islip was reopened in 1989. From 15 February 2014, this link closed again for track rebuilding.
Since 1996, Chiltern Railways is the operator of services on the Chiltern Main Line, from London to Birmingham via Bicester North. In 2010 the company decided to extend Marylebone services to Oxford. This would be secured by connecting to the Bicester – Oxford line by a new chord east of Bicester. There were considerable associated enhancement works, including an improved entry to Oxford and improved platform arrangements there.
The Bicester to Oxford passenger service was suspended in 2014 to enable the infrastructure work, and it reopened from a new Bicester Village station (Bicester Town renamed again) to a new Oxford Parkway station in October 2015. The remaining section to Oxford reopened in December 2016.
The western section is operational from Oxford to the connection to the Chiltern main line east of Bicester. The spur there is from Gavray Junction (on the former LNWR line) to Bicester North Junction (on the Chiltern line.
From Gavray Junction to Bletchley is currently temporarily out of use. The Bletchley to Bedford section is running normally, with passenger trains now using Bedford station (the former Bedford Midland station). The eastern section from Bedford to near Cambridge is long since out of use. The route is heavily built over, especially at Sandy and Potton, and beyond the former Lord's Bridge station, where the Ryle Telescope of Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory now occupies a 3-mile (4.8 km) section of the former route. Between Trumpington Park and Ride Facility and near to Cambridge Station the route has been converted to be part of the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway.
Plans to upgrade and reopen the Bicester to Bletchley section are funded and scheduled. A number of alternative new routes to connect Bedford and Cambridge are out for consultation, but this is much more challenging. Issues include the question of using the existing Bedford station or a new Bedford South, the approach to Cambridge from the north or the south, how (or whether) to serve St Neots, Cambourne and the Addenbrookes complex, the expansion of Cambridge station, and freight connectivity at the eastern end. These issues are detailed at the route redevelopment article.
The Banbury to Verney Junction branch line was a railway branch line constructed by the Buckinghamshire Railway which connected the Oxfordshire market town of Banbury with the former Oxford/Cambridge Varsity line and the former Metropolitan Railway at Verney Junction, a distance of 21 miles 39 chains (21.49 mi; 34.58 km). Onward routes from there ran to the West Coast Main Line at Bletchley via Brackley and Buckingham and thence to Cambridge, or to Aylesbury for London.
The line was promoted by the Buckinghamshire Railway which was formed in 1847 to construct two routes: one from Bletchley to Oxford, later known as the Varsity Line, and another to Banbury. The line to Banbury was opened in May 1850 and the Oxford section followed in October of the same year. The line was worked by the London and North Western Railway, which absorbed the Buckinghamshire Railway in 1879. In 1923, the London and North Western became a constituent of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at the Grouping. The line became part of British Railways upon nationalisation on 1 January 1948. Increasing competition from motor transport and dwindling receipts after the Second World War led to the line being chosen in 1956 for an experiment with British Rail Derby Lightweight diesel multiple units in an attempt to stem the losses. Although the units were well-patronised, the deficit was not reduced sufficiently to justify keeping the line open. The section between Banbury and Buckingham closed on 2 January 1961, with the section Buckingham-Verney Jn abandoned on 5 December 1966. None of the station buildings have survived, although some sections of the line are now public footpaths.Bletchley railway station
Bletchley is a railway station that serves the southern parts of Milton Keynes, England (especially Bletchley itself), and the north-eastern parts of the Buckinghamshire district of Aylesbury Vale. It is 47 miles (75 km) northwest of Euston, about 32 miles (51 km) east of Oxford and 17 miles (27 km) west of Bedford.
It includes junctions of the West Coast Main Line with the Bletchley-Bedford Marston Vale Line and the disused Bletchley-Oxford Varsity line.
This is one of the six railway stations serving the Milton Keynes urban area.It is the nearest main line station for Bletchley Park, the World War II codebreaking centre, and also serves Stadium MK, the home of Milton Keynes Dons F.C., at present a 30-minute walk. Fenny Stratford station, on the Marston Vale Line (a limited service branch line) is closer.Charlton Halt railway station (Oxfordshire)
Charlton Halt was a railway station on the Varsity Line 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the village of Charlton-on-Otmoor. The London and North Western Railway opened the halt in 1905 and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway closed it in 1926.Claydon railway station
Claydon railway station is a former railway station on the 'Varsity Line' (former Oxford – Cambridge line), that served the village of Steeple Claydon in Buckinghamshire.Gamlingay railway station
Gamlingay railway station was a railway station on the Varsity Line which served the small village of Gamlingay in Cambridgeshire, England. The station opened in 1862 and was located in a rural area that saw little passenger traffic; it closed together with the line in 1968.Great Northern Route
The Great Northern Route (formerly known as Great Northern Electrics) is the name given to suburban rail services run on the southern end of Britain's East Coast Main Line and its associated branches. Services operate to or from London King's Cross and Moorgate in London. Destinations include Hertford North, Welwyn Garden City, Stevenage, Peterborough, Cambridge and King's Lynn. Services run through parts of Greater London, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Norfolk.
The route forms a major commuter route into London from Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and eastern Bedfordshire; ridership has grown rapidly over recent years. In 2009 rolling stock was transferred from other lines to allow additional services and longer trains to be run. In early 2018 the line was connected to the Thameslink route via a junction just south of the High Speed 1 bridge, north of King's Cross, allowing through services to south of London.Launton railway station
Launton railway station served the village of Launton in Oxfordshire. It was on the Varsity Line between Bletchley and Oxford. The station opened in 1852; British Railways closed Launton station, and withdrew passenger services at the end of 1967.Lord's Bridge railway station
Lord's Bridge was a railway station on the Varsity Line which ran between Oxford and Cambridge. Situated in the north of the parish of Harlton on the western outskirts of Cambridge, it was the penultimate station before the line's eastern terminus at Cambridge. The station opened in 1862 and closed more than a century later in 1968. It is now the home to the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory's rail-mounted radio-telescopes.Marston Vale line
The Marston Vale line (Network Rail route MD 140) is the community rail line between Bletchley and Bedford in England, formerly part of the "Varsity line" between Oxford and Cambridge.Oddington Halt railway station
Oddington Halt was a railway station on the Varsity Line 1 mile (1.6 km) northwest of the village of Oddington, Oxfordshire. The London and North Western Railway opened the halt in 1905 and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway closed it in 1926.Old North Road railway station
Old North Road was a railway station on the Varsity Line which served the small village of Longstowe near Bourn in Cambridgeshire. As its name suggests, the station was located on the eastern side of the Old North Road, the A1198 road - a major Roman road which linked London with Lincoln. Opened in 1862, the station was located in a rural area and saw little passenger traffic; it closed together with the line in 1968.Oxford Rewley Road railway station
Oxford Rewley Road railway station was a railway station serving the city of Oxford, England, located immediately to the north of what is now Frideswide Square on the site of the Saïd Business School, to the west of Rewley Road. It was the terminus of the Buckinghamshire Railway, which was worked, and later absorbed, by the London and North Western Railway (L&NWR). In 1923 it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS), "Varsity Line" service from Cambridge via Bletchley and had features of significance in construction history.Oxford Road Halt railway station
Oxford Road Halt was a railway station on the Varsity Line 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the hamlet of Water Eaton, Oxfordshire.Verney Junction
Verney Junction is a hamlet in the parish of Middle Claydon in north Buckinghamshire, England. It is on the route of the former Varsity Line. (As of December 2017, the line is disused but is to be reopened by about 2025 as part of the East West Rail project).The stone cottages that make up the hamlet were largely constructed to provide houses for workers on the railway in the early Victorian era. The hamlet is named after the railway junction around which it grew. The new village included a cricket ground for the railway workers.
The original junction here was established (without a station) by the Buckinghamshire Railway, which planned a Bletchley – Banbury route (subsequently the 'Banbury to Verney Junction Branch Line') and a Bletchley – Oxford route. The Bletchley – Banbury Merton Street section was completed in May 1850 and the section from here to Oxford Rewley Road was completed in October of the same year. Verney Junction railway station was added when the Metropolitan Railway was extended here (from Baker Street).
Local legend has it that the station was so called because the then isolation of the area meant that the only obvious name was that of the local landowner, the Verney family of Claydon House.Verney Junction railway station
Verney Junction was an isolated railway station at a four-way railway junction in Buckinghamshire, open from 1868 to 1968; a junction existed through the site without a station from 1851.
The first line to open on the site was the Buckinghamshire Railway, which opened a line from Bletchley to Banbury in 1850; a line branching west to Oxford followed in 1851. This formed an east-west link from Oxford to Bletchley and Cambridge passing through Verney Junction and this, known as the Varsity line, became the busiest line through the site, leaving the line to Banbury as a relatively quiet branch. The station opened in 1868 concurrently with the opening of the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway (later owned by London Underground) towards Aylesbury and London. Soon after the Buckinghamshire Railway became absorbed into the London and North Western Railway.
The lines south to Aylesbury closed to passengers in 1936 and the line to Buckingham in 1964, but the station remained open until the Oxford-Cambridge line closed to passengers in 1968. The track was singled and then mothballed, but a disused track has remained through the station site. As part of East West Rail, the line between Oxford and Bletchley is to be reopened by 2025, but because of its isolated location Verney Junction will not be reopened.
While never very busy, Verney Junction was a local interchange point for a century from which excursions as far as Ramsgate could be booked. Situated 50 miles (80 km) from Baker Street, the station is one of London's disused Underground stations and, although it never carried heavy traffic, the Aylesbury line was important in the expansion of the Metropolitan Railway into what became Metro-land.Wendlebury Halt railway station
Wendlebury Halt was a railway station on the Varsity Line, located 0.5 miles (800 m) east of the village of Wendlebury in Alchester. The London and North Western Railway opened the halt in 1905 and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway closed it in 1926.Winslow Road railway station
Winslow Road railway station served the village of East Claydon near Winslow to the north of Quainton in Buckinghamshire, England. It was the second station to serve the town after Winslow on the Varsity Line.Winslow railway station
Winslow railway station is a former railway station which served the town of Winslow in north Buckinghamshire, England. It is on a disused section of the Varsity Line; a single track remains in place but is rusted and overgrown far beyond use. The site of the original station is mostly covered by a small housing development, and although the platforms still remain, they are in a very poor state. In 2014 it was anticipated that the station would reopen on a different site in 2019 as part of East West Rail. In September 2016, Buckinghamshire County Council purchased a site for a new station, beside the A413 bridge. As of March 2018, however, a definitive schedule of works on the line and station have yet to emerge but funding is in place with a target date of 2024.Wolvercote Halt railway station
Wolvercote Halt was a railway station at Upper Wolvercote near Oxford on the Varsity Line. The London and North Western Railway opened the halt in 1905 and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway closed it in 1926. It was situated on the southern side of First Turn.
Stations in and around Milton Keynes
Transport in Bedfordshire