The University of Wisconsin–La Crosse (also known as UW–La Crosse, UWL, or regionally as La Crosse) is a public university in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Founded in 1909, it is part of the University of Wisconsin System and awards bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. UW–La Crosse is organized into five schools and colleges offering 100 undergraduate programs, 22 graduate programs, and 2 doctoral programs. With an annual operating budget of $227 million, it is one of the largest in the UW System. The university has nearly 85,000 alumni across all 50 U.S. states and 57 countries.
In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked UWL the top comprehensive university in the UW System for the eighteenth consecutive year, and the fourth ranked public university in the Midwest. In addition, the university was ranked in the elite group of 39 national universities highlighted for student success in undergraduate research and creative projects. Nationally recognized programs include occupational therapy, physical therapy, and physician assistant offerings at the graduate level. UWL also offers a top ranked archaeology and anthropology undergraduate degree program, the only in the Midwest and one of few nationally. The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education classifies UW–La Crosse among "Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs."
|University of Wisconsin–La Crosse|
Motto in English
|Mind and Body|
|Colors||Maroon & Grey|
|NCAA Division III – WIAC|
|Mascot||Stryker the Eagle|
The university was founded as the La Crosse State Normal School in 1909, the eighth of nine state normal schools established in Wisconsin between 1866 and 1916 for the purpose of teacher preparation. Thomas Morris sponsored the bill in the Wisconsin State Senate that led to the university's creation. Initially, the La Crosse State Normal School was authorized to offer two-year programs to prepare students for the teaching profession. Main Hall (now Maurice O. Graff Main Hall), the original building on campus, was constructed the year the school was founded. The La Crosse State Normal School opened its doors later that same year with Fassett A. Cotton as its first president.
La Crosse State Normal School students began organizing several extra-curricular activities within two years of the school's founding. In 1910, students published the first campus newspaper, The Racquet, which is still published today. The Physical Education Club was formed in 1912, making it the longest continuous organization in the school's history.
The Physical Education Building (now Wittich Hall), the original physical education building, was completed in 1916 after delays due to the start of World War I. This was not the only setback for the school during this period. The school struggled through serious declines in enrollment and funding following World War I and throughout the Great Depression.
In 1926, George M. Snodgrass became the school's third president, replacing Ernest A. Smith, who served for only one year. That same year the school's programs were expanded and authorization was given to award baccalaureate teaching degrees. This led to an institutional name change the following year to La Crosse State Teachers College.
In 1931 the college was divided into separate elementary education, secondary education, and physical education divisions. It was also this year that the homecoming tradition of the "Hanging of the Lantern" began at the south entrance of Maurice O. Graff Main Hall. It was created by English teacher Orris O. White who remarked, "We'll hang the lantern in the old college tower... You won't need to look for the key – the door will be open." The Training School, which had also been referred to as the Campus School and the Model School, moved into its newly constructed building in 1939. The La Crosse State Teachers College Training School Building was later renamed Morris Hall in honor of Wisconsin politician, Thomas Morris. The Training School provided practice and supervised observation for teacher training candidates. 1973 was the last year of operation for the Training School. Rexford S. Mitchell became the college's fourth president that same year, serving until 1966.
After the Regents authorized the nine Wisconsin State Teachers Colleges to establish baccalaureate degrees in liberal arts, the college changed its name to Wisconsin State College-La Crosse in 1951. It was also this same year that Wilder Hall became the first campus residence hall. In 1956, the college was authorized to establish graduate programs, which led to the Master of Science and Master of Arts in Teaching degrees. A graduate program in physical education was also established at that time. Florence Wing Library, the college's first library, was constructed that same year and began a period of substantial expansion for the college. Over the next 18 years (1956–1974), the college ballooned from 5 buildings to a total of 23 buildings. The college added 11 residence halls, 4 academic buildings, 2 libraries, and 2 student centers during that time.
In 1959, the college celebrated its 50th anniversary, with an enrollment of 1,821 students. That same year presidential candidate John F. Kennedy visited campus and spoke to a packed Graff Main Hall auditorium.
In 1964, the college was designated a university as part of the Wisconsin State University System and was renamed Wisconsin State University-La Crosse. This designation led to the creation of the Colleges of Education, Health-Recreation-Physical Education, and Letters and Sciences. Later, the School of Business Administration was also formed within College of Letters and Sciences. A few years after receiving university designation, the university's fifth president, Samuel G. Gates, began his term in 1966.
The Wisconsin State University System merged with the University of Wisconsin System in 1971, at which time the university adopted its current name and also changed the title for the head of the university from President to Chancellor. Kenneth E. Lindner, who was at the time the university's sixth president, became the university's first chancellor. Lindner, after serving as chancellor from 1971 to 1979, was succeeded by Noel Richards, who served as the university's chancellor until 1991. Lindner Forest, a heavily wooded section in the southern part of campus, was named in honor of former Chancellor Lindner.
In 1989, the university's mascot became the Eagle. UWL men's athletics teams had previously been known as the Indians (1937–1989), Red Raiders, Hurricanes, Racqueteers, and Peds and Maroons. The women's athletic teams were known as the Roonies, derived from the university's school colors of maroon and gray, since the inception of female intercollegiate competition in the early 1970s. They adopted the Eagle mascot a year after it became the university mascot. Since the adoption of the Eagle mascot, the band's mascot has been the Screaming Eagle, having been known as the Marching Chiefs before that. The "Eagle in the L" and caricature, which were both created in 1989, were unveiled just before the fall sports teams took to the field as the Eagles for the first time. They were penned by Dave Christianson, a 1973 arts graduate who created the images after the adoption of the Eagle mascot.
In 1991, Judith Kuipers became UWL's third chancellor, serving until 2000. She was the institution's first and only female leader. In 1992, Kuipers was instrumental in the creation of the La Crosse Medical Health Science Consortium. The consortium, a collaboration of UWL, Viterbo University, Western Technical College, Franciscan Skemp Medical Center, and Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, was created to provide cutting-edge medical education, research and training. This led to the creation of the US $27 million Health Science Center in 2000.
Under the university's strategic plan, "Forward Together," the university reorganized into four colleges: the College of Business Administration; the College of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation; the College of Science and Allied Health; and the College of Liberal Studies, which housed the School of Arts and Communication and the School of Education. The College of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation underwent a few names changes before eventually merging with the College of Science and Allied Health to form the College of Science and Health in 2006.
The Cleary Alumni & Friends Center along with Murphy Library remodeling projects were completed in 1995. Construction continued on campus, and two years later, the Recreational Eagle Center and the Hoeschler clock tower were also finished. Hoeschler Tower becomes a focal point on campus and the new home for the traditional "Hanging of the Lantern."
The turn of the century saw a number of changes at UWL. The Archaeology Building and Laboratories, which was a US $380,000 renovation of the campus's original power plant, had its grand opening that year. A US $9.9 million renovation to Wing Technology Center also was started at that time and was completed in 2001. Another major change was the resignation of Chancellor Kuipers. She was replaced on an interim basis by Douglas Hastad, who was named the university's fourth chancellor and ninth leader by the UW System Board of Regents in 2001.
In the 2001–2002 academic year, the university's athletic teams won four national championships, three NCAA Division III championships (indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, and cross country), and one NCGA title (women's gymnastics).
Joe Gow became the fifth chancellor and 10th leader of UW–La Crosse on February 1, 2007. He replaced Douglas Hastad, who left to become president at Carroll College, in Waukesha, Wisconsin. His official inauguration took place on October 19, 2007. Gow often personally e-mails the entire student body to inform them about student accomplishments and upcoming university events. An accomplished guitarist, he performed at the Cartwright Center's "Cellar" restaurant for students after taking over as chancellor.
The university supports cultural events, regional and national conferences, prominent speakers, applied research, health care, professionals with varying expertise, a large workforce, and numerous faculty, staff and student community volunteers.
The percentage of the university's budget that is state funded has declined over the past few years. In 1996, students paid 35% of the cost of their education at UWL and the state the remaining 65%. By 2005, the student share had grown to 51% as the state's shrunk to 49%. The university has felt the strain caused by decreased public funding. The university's centennial campaign and "growth and access" agenda are both aimed at providing the necessary financial resources to deal with the decreased state funding.
The university's plans for the future revolve around increasing access to UWL for talented students of all backgrounds and expanding student research and academic opportunities. Both the centennial campaign and "growth and access" agenda are major tools meant to lead the university to these goals.
Construction for a new academic building, Centennial Hall, began Spring 2009 and the building opened for the Fall 2011 academic year. Built at a cost of $44 million, it houses 44 classrooms, two auditoriums, the Academic Advising Center, Counseling and Testing Center, Multicultural Student Services, Office of International Education, and Student Support Services.
Students in the Spring of 2012, overwhelming voted in favor of a new student center, to replace current Cartwright Student Center. Construction for the new student center occurred during the 2014–2015 and 2015–2016 academic years, and opened in January 2017. The new student center edifice was designed to emulate Grandad Bluff, a defining feature of La Crosse.
$241 million in major, long-term building projects are underway on campus. These investments include an $82 million renovation and addition to Cowley Hall for the sciences, a new $53 million student union, a new residence hall, additions to the parking ramp, a sustainable chilled water plant, and more.
The 119-acre (48 ha) campus is located in a residential section of La Crosse. The extensive landscape of grassy fields, trees, flowers, and other vegetation gives the campus a distinct park-like feel. The university has limited vehicle traffic on campus. In 2006, UW–La Crosse received a "Grand Award" at the 2006 Green Star Awards competition for its campus landscaping from the Professional Grounds Management Society.
To the east of campus are the La Crosse bluffs, of which the most prominent is Grandad Bluff (mentioned in Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain. Downtown La Crosse and the Mississippi River are about a half mile west of campus.
Hoeschler Tower (1996), located in the heart of UWL, is the focal point of campus and a popular destination and meeting place for students. It is also the site for many university and student events, such as concerts, fundraisers, the clocktower dance, memorial services, and the traditional hanging of the lantern.
Sidewalk chalk is used as a means of communication among students throughout the warmer months. It is used to advertise future events, share personal ideas, and promote political agendas, among other things.
Students can live in one of the university's residence halls. The newest residence hall, Eagle Hall, opened Fall 2011 and houses 500 students and the Office of Residence Life. Reuter Hall, an apartment-style residence hall, was completed in 2006. Two 1950s-era residence halls, Trowbridge Hall and Baird Hall, were demolished in spring 2009 to make way for a new academic building, Centennial Hall, which was completed in the fall of 2011 and is the largest academic building on campus.
Graff Main Hall is the oldest building on campus built in 1909 and contains the chancellor's office, a 787-seat auditorium, classrooms, the departments of Philosophy, Psychology and Modern Languages, and other administrative and student services offices. It was designated a historic site by the city of La Crosse, Wisconsin in 1984 and is on the National Register of Historic Places as the Main Hall/La Crosse State Normal School.
Built in 1916, the original physical education building housed faculty and staff offices, gymnasiums, a track, multipurpose and meeting rooms, a strength training center, a therapeutic/rehabilitation swimming pool, the Musculoskeletal Research Center, and the Special Populations Exercise Program. The building has been renovated for use in the preparation of special/adapted physical education teachers and therapeutic recreation specialists. Administrative, faculty, staff, and graduate assistant offices for the Department of Recreation Management and Therapeutic Recreation are located in Wittich Hall. The building is also the primary practice site for the Women's Intercollegiate Athletics Gymnastics team. Wittich Hall, the Physical Education Building of the La Crosse State Normal School, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 as the Physical Education Building/La Crosse State Normal School.
Morris Hall (1939, 1966, remodeled 1996) first opened in January 1940 as the La Crosse State Teachers College Training School Building. Today, Morris Hall houses the instructional and administrative facilities for the School of Education, including the Department of Educational Studies, the Master of Education-Professional Development Program (ME-PD), the Learning Communities Programs, the Office of Student Teaching and Internships, the Office of Continuing Education and Extension, and the Frederick Theater. Morris Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Murphy Library (1969, remodeled 1995), is centrally located on campus. It was named for Eugene W. Murphy in recognition of his 22 years of service to UWL and the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. At the time of its construction, the library cost US $2.5 million to construct. As of 2007, Murphy Library had a total of 691,282 books, bound periodicals, and government documents. The library also offers electronic resources, such as journals and databases. In 2006, the library opened Murphy's Mug Café, which is managed by the campus dining services.
Built in 2000, the $27 million Health Science Center was a project of the La Crosse Medical Health Science Consortium. The building includes laboratory facilities for the medical laboratory science, nuclear medicine technology, occupational and physical therapy, physician assistant, and radiation therapy programs. Biology and microbiology research laboratories are also available for medical research. Laboratories and classrooms, including distance education classrooms, are shared by all educational programs at the center. A student health center, including a physical therapy clinic, is located on the main floor and serves UWL and neighboring Western Technical College students.
The Cleary Alumni and Friends Center was built in 1995 by the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse Foundation and donated to the university. Members of both the university and the greater La Crosse community meet and take advantage of the conference center, smaller conference rooms, and large banquet hall. The Cleary Center houses the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse Foundation offices and the Alumni and University Relations advancement offices.
Built in 2011, Centennial Hall was the first academic building to be open on campus since 1974. It is located in the center of campus and holds 46 classrooms, including two 250-seat auditoriums, various academic and student advising departments, and a Starbucks coffee outlet. A large, open entryway in the building opens up to the Hall of Nations. The room houses flags from 44 countries, representing the diversity of UWL's international students. Centennial Hall also houses a counseling and testing center and offices for communications, environmental studies, philosophy, and women's and gender studies.
Completed in 1974 and originally called "North Hall", in 2000 this building was named for former professor and Dean of the College of Arts, Letters and Sciences, W. Carl Wimberly. The building has classrooms, three auditoriums, and the offices of the College of Business Administration, the accounting, archeology, sociology, economics, English, ethnic and racial studies, finance, history, management, marketing, political science and public administration departments, and the Small Business Development Center.
The newest academic building on campus, the Prairie Springs Science Center was completed in 2018 at a cost of $84 million. The first classes and labs will be held in fall 2018. The 189,000 square foot building contains 36 instructional labs and 23 research labs that will support the university's biology, biochemistry, chemistry, earth science, geography, microbiology, and physics programs. A $2 million endowment, the largest single gift in UW-L history, was donated by Carolyn and Jay Scott in support of the new science building.
Completed in January 2017, UWL's new student union is three stories and just over 204,000 square feet. It includes offices for the Student Association, Student Senate, Pride Center, and the COVE, which encompasses all student organizations. It also houses an auditorium on the second floor, the UWL Bookstore, Textbook Services, meeting rooms, a cafeteria, and a theater and game room.
Cartwright Hall (1959 with additions in 1965 and 1985), is the former student union. It was home to the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse Bookstore, Textbook Services, TV and reading lounges, a computer lab, student organization offices and resources, the Involvement Center, Pride Center, and meeting rooms. Cartwright Center is also home to the Valhalla theater with a built-in stage and seating for 900 and the Port ‘O Call fireplace lounge.
Mitchell Hall (1965) is a recreational, teaching, research, and service facility located adjacent to outdoor practice fields, 16 tennis courts, soccer fields, and Veterans Memorial Stadium. Facilities include a swimming pool, basketball courts, wrestling room, dance studio, racquetball courts, and a 3,800-square-foot (350 m2) strength and conditioning center. The field house located in Mitchell Hall has a 4-lane 200-meter polyurethane track, long and triple jump pit, pole vault boxes, nets for tennis, badminton, volleyball, golf, softball/baseball hitting, and a climbing wall.
The Rec Eagle Center, built in 1997, houses Intramural and Student Recreational Sports. The building includes a field house, a 200-meter elevated running track with warm-up areas, a strength and conditioning center, a climbing gym, a child care center, TV lounges, locker rooms/shower rooms, and various multi-purpose activity rooms. The Rec Eagle Center regularly hosts campus activities, such as Rectoberfest and the 5K Turkey Trot Run/Walk. Attached to the Rec Eagle Center is a child care center that serves the children of students and faculty.
Opened on October 1, 2018, the two-level expansion includes an enlarged strength training space, multipurpose recreation room, and other related support spaces.
As of the fall 2017 semester, there are 9,861 undergraduate students, 818 graduate students, and international students representing 31 countries enrolled at UW–La Crosse. 80% of students come from Wisconsin and 20% represent 41 states across the nation.
Incoming freshman average an ACT score of 25 and a median high school class rank in the 80th percentile, the second highest academic profile in the UW System. In fall 2017, 67 high school valedictorians were represented in the incoming freshman class. UW-La Crosse also bolsters an 86% retention rate of freshman returning to UWL their next year, the second highest in the UW System after UW-Madison.
UW–La Crosse offers 90 undergraduate programs in 44 disciplines, and 26 graduate programs and emphases in eight disciplines. Microbiology and exercise and sport science are designated as UW System Centers of Excellence, and the College of Business Administration holds international accreditation. UW–La Crosse also offers Wisconsin's only nationally accredited degrees in recreation management and therapeutic recreation, the UW System's only nuclear medicine technology program, and offers one of two Midwest undergraduate archaeology majors.
The university is organized into three colleges: the College of Business Administration, the College of Science and Health, and the College of Liberal Studies, which houses the School of Arts and Communication and the School of Education.
The College of Business Administration (CBA) is professionally accredited by AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). It provides undergraduate programs, along with a graduate program in business administration.
There are 56 undergraduate and seven graduate degree programs in the humanities, social sciences, arts and communication, education and interdisciplinary programs that comprise the College of Liberal Studies (CLS). The CLS is divided into two schools, the School of Arts & Communication and the School of Education.
The School of Arts and Communication has programs that concern the human condition as it is conveyed through artistic and communicative endeavors.
The School of Education contains teacher education programs housed in a variety of departments and colleges across the university. Teacher education programs are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary School's Higher Learning Commission.
The College of Science and Health (SAH) accounts for just over half of UWL's total enrollment. The 11 departments of The College of SAH offer 47 undergraduate and 14 graduate degree programs. In addition to a degree 14 pre-professional programs are offered. The Athletic Training, Chemistry, Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Dosimetry, Nuclear Medicine Technology, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, Radiation Therapy, Recreation Management, Public Health and Therapeutic Recreation programs are all fully accredited.
The college also offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree which was ranked #39 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. The doctoral offering is a 34-month program with roughly 45 students.
The following university centers and institutes bring multiple SAH departments together in a common research effort.
UW–La Crosse partners with the University of Wisconsin–Madison, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, and the University of Minnesota Twin Cities in a program that allows students to complete three years of study at UWL before transferring to the partnership university for two years to complete the science or engineering portion of a dual degree.
In 2014 U.S. News & World Report ranked UWL #26 among the Midwest regional public universities offering bachelor's and master's degrees. In 2012 a Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance report placed La Crosse and UW-Eau Claire among the most selective schools in the UW System, behind UW –Madison. In 2014 Kiplinger's Personal Finance, ranked the university fourth on its list of the "25 Best College Values Under $30,000 a Year". In 2007, the Princeton Review named UW–La Crosse one of America's "Best Midwestern Colleges" and an "America's Best Value College". Men's Health magazine ranked UWL the 10th fittest campus in the country in 2005 and 12th fittest in 2006.
In 2006, the school was named one of the nation's top 100 LGBT-friendly universities by The Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students. The rankings were determined by examining institutional policies, commitment and support, academic life, housing, student life, counseling and health services, campus safety, and recruitment and retention efforts.
In 2009, UWL received the U.S. Department of Commerce Export Award for its international student recruiting and programs.
UW–La Crosse offers over 175 different student organizations in a wide range of pursuits, everything from academic to religious, cultural to athletic, political to social, and many others. The Physical Education Club, which was formed in 1912, is the longest continuously operating organization at the school.
Greek life plays a small role at UWL. Only about 1% of males and 1% of females in the student body are members of a social fraternity or sorority. The five social fraternities represented on campus are Delta Sigma Phi, Sigma Tau Gamma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Chi Phi, Lambda Chi Alpha and the three sororities represented are Alpha Xi Delta, Tri Sigma, and Alpha Phi. Delta Sigma Phi is the only Greek organization on campus with a fraternity house. The Eta Rho chapter of the Delta Sigma Pi professional business fraternity is a coed option for students of the College of Business Administration.
The Racquet is a student-produced newspaper distributed weekly during the academic year. The paper, which began in 1910, contains student-produced articles about campus, community, state, and national events. The Racquet is composed of two major divisions: news and features. The majority of The Racquet's annual budget is generated internally, but a small portion is contributed via student fees. In 2013, The Racquet was ranked #32 in the nation and #1 in Wisconsin in the Top 100 College Newspapers for Journalism Students.
The Second Supper is a satirical newspaper published by students and is recognized by the student government. The Second Supper is published weekly from its headquarters in downtown La Crosse, serving western Wisconsin through the cities of La Crosse and Eau Claire.
The Catalyst is a student-produced and edited quarterly publication of student-submitted essays, short stories, and poetry. Each edition has a different theme. The Catalyst intends to provide a channel for creative intellectual inquiry in order to provoke campus and community discussion.
The university's school colors are maroon and gray. The university mascot, which was adopted in 1989, is the Eagle. UWL men's athletics teams had previously been known as the Indians (1937–1989), Red Raiders, Hurricanes, Racqueteers, and Peds and Maroons. The women's athletic teams were known as the Roonies, derived from the university's school colors of maroon and gray, since the inception of female intercollegiate competition in the early 1970s until November 1990 when they also adopted the Eagle mascot. Since the adoption of the Eagle mascot, the band's mascot has been the Screaming Eagle, having previously been known as the Marching Chiefs.
UW–La Crosse's athletic teams sport an "Eagle in the L" and caricature, which was created in 1989, when the sports teams took to the field as the Eagles for the first time. It was created by Dave Christianson, a 1973 art major graduate who penned the images after the UWL men's teams adopted the Eagle mascot. Women's teams started sporting the Eagles moniker in November 1990. The UWL Eagle mascot was named "Colbert" in a vote by students during the 2008–2009 school year. On October 10, 2012, Colbert was retired, and a new similar looking mascot was introduced, named Stryker.
The Hanging of the Lantern tradition dates back to 1913 when UWL students hung small lanterns in house windows near campus. In 1931, longtime faculty member Orris O. White began a tradition of hanging one large lantern in the Maurice O. Graff Main Hall tower, above the building's south entrance. The act welcomed alumni who had returned home. "We'll hang the lantern in the old college tower over the south door. You won't need to look for the key—the door will be open," declared White.
Since 1931, a lantern has hung each Homecoming. It hung on the south side of Graff Main Hall until 1997 when it was moved to the Hoeschler Tower in the center of campus. The tower's lantern hangs year-round and is lit every evening at dusk.
The Lighting of the "L" tradition began after a 1935 college prank. Bored on a foggy day, F. Clark Carnes and Bernie Brown hiked up Miller's Bluff, north of Grandad Bluff. They gathered and piled brush in the shape of a 30-foot (9.1 m) by 15-foot (4.6 m) "L", started it on fire, and slipped down the bluff toward campus before police could locate them. When Brown and Carnes reached Veterans Memorial Stadium, the fog lifted and allowed the crowd to see the "L". In recent years, the "L" has been lit by electricity and shines from Grandad Bluff.
The University of Wisconsin–La Crosse maintains programs in indoor and outdoor track, cross country, gymnastics, and football, competing in the WIAC, which is in the NCAA's Division III. UWL holds membership affiliation in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), The Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW), The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, and the National Collegiate Gymnastics Association (NCGA).
UWL has student athletes participating on 19 teams, won 70 national titles in the following categories:
|National Titles||Gymnastics||Indoor track and field||Outdoor track and field||Cross country||Basketball||Football||Bowling||Total|
UWL has also won 388 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships. UWL is one only of six institutions in NCAA Division III history to finish in the top 20 all 10 years of the Directors' Cup, which includes all 433 NCAA Division III schools. UWL has won WIAC Conference Championships in the following categories:
|WIAC Titles||Cross country||Football||Soccer||Tennis||Volleyball||Basketball||Gymnastics||Swimming||Indoor track and field||Outdoor track and field||Wrestling||Baseball||Softball||Golf||Tennis||Badminton||Total|
UWL has won 27 men's track and field titles, the most in Division III history. The Eagles have won 14 indoor and 10 outdoor championships, both ranking first in the nation. The Eagles have now swept the indoor and outdoor titles in the same season 10 times (1988, 1991–1993, 1997, 2001–2004 and, 2006).
The university won the NCAA Division III "triple crown" in 2001–2002, claiming the men's cross country title, men's indoor track and field title and men's outdoor track & field championship. The university is one of two NCAA Division III institutions to win the "triple crown" (the other being North Central College during 2009–2010). The Eagles also captured the 2005 NCAA Division III cross country title, the third in school history (1996, 2001).
The gymnastics team has won 12 national titles, a record in the NCGA, as well as a record 20 WIAC titles. UWL won its sixth consecutive National Collegiate Gymnastics Association (NCGA) Championship in 2006.
The Eagles won seven Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) titles in 2005–2006 and finished in the top four in 16 of 18 sports. UWL also had nine WIAC Scholar Athletes last year and eight WIAC Coach of the Year honors. The Eagles had 203 All-WIAC honors in 2005–2006.
The UWL football team plays its home games at Veterans Memorial Stadium. In 2009 The football stadium and outdoor track was replaced by a new timed outdoor track, a football turf field, a new 10,000+ seat stadium/press box/field lights, plus surrounding soccer/athletic fields.
Andrew Rock (born January 23, 1982) is an American sprinter who specializes in the 400 meter dash.Clay Moser
Clay Moser is an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He used to be the head coach of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League.Clifford Fagan
Clifford B. Fagan (March 3, 1911 – January 18, 1995) was a high school basketball referee who became executive director of the National Federation of State High School Athletic Associations (NFHS) and eventually president of the Basketball Hall of Fame and board member for FIBA, the international governing body for the sport of basketball. He was born in Mankato, Minnesota.
For his contributions to the sport of basketball, including his service as a member of the board of directors for the United States Olympic Committee, Fagan was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as a contributor in 1984. He was awarded the FIBA Order of Merit, in 1994.Jennifer Shilling
Jennifer Shilling (née Ehlenfeldt; born July 4, 1969) is a Democratic member of the Wisconsin State Senate first elected to represent the 32nd District in 2011 from La Crosse, Wisconsin. In 2014, she was elected Senate Minority Leader by fellow Democrats.John Gard
John Gard (born August 3, 1963 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) was a Republican member of the Wisconsin State Assembly representing the 89th Assembly District from 1987 until 2007. He served as Speaker of the State Assembly from 2003 until 2007.
Gard was also the Republican nominee for U.S. Representative for Wisconsin's 8th congressional district in 2006 and 2008, running against and losing to Democratic nominee Steve Kagen both times.
Gard graduated from University of Wisconsin–La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisconsin.John Medinger
John Donald Medinger (born April 26, 1948) is an American politician, teacher, and businessman.Kenya Make a Difference
Kenya Make a Difference is a student run organization designed to help in-need communities within rural areas of Kenya and raise awareness about its culture. The organization is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse and took its third annual trip to Kenya in January 2014. The organization is currently advised by Dr. Paula Knudson, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Assistant Chancellor and Dean of Students.La Crosse State Teachers College Training School Building
The La Crosse State Teachers College Training School Building was a building used to educate teachers at the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisconsin. The building is at 1615 State Street in La Crosse. The present building was built in 1940 and was known was the Campus School.The Campus School continued until 1973, when it closed and was renamed Morris Hall in honor of Thomas Morris, who was instrumental in the establishment of the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse.Main Hall/La Crosse State Normal School
Main Hall/La Crosse State Normal School was the original building for La Crosse Normal School now the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisconsin. The building was constructed in 1909. The office of the chancellor and various administrative departments are in Main Hall. The building is now known as the Maurice O. Graff Main Hall.Mark Belling
Mark Belling (born July 4, 1956) is an American conservative talk radio host for 1130 WISN in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He is also a local newspaper columnist, former television host, and occasional guest host for Rush Limbaugh. A native of Wisconsin's Fox Valley, Belling is an alumnus of the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse. It is unknown whether he graduated with a degree.Mark Meyer (politician)
Mark Meyer (born September 3, 1963) is a Wisconsin Democratic politician and legislator.Born in La Crosse, Wisconsin, Meyer graduated from University of Wisconsin–La Crosse and served on the La Crosse Common Council. Meyer served in the Wisconsin State Assembly 1993-2001. In 2001, he served in the Wisconsin State Senate until 2004. In 2004, Governor Jim Doyle appointed Meyer commissioner of the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships
The NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships for wrestling individuals and teams were first officially sponsored in 1974 and have since been held annually.The NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships is a double-elimination tournament for individuals competing in ten weight classes. Eighteen wrestlers in each class qualify by being one of the top three finishers at six Regional tournaments. During the championships, individual match winners earn points based on the level and quality of the victory, which are totaled to determine the team championship standings.
In addition to determining the national championship, the NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships also determine the Division III All-America team. The top eight finishers in each weight class qualify for Division III All-American status.Nancy VanderMeer
Nancy L. VanderMeer is an American businesswoman and politician from the Town of Greenfield, in Monroe County, Wisconsin, currently serving in the Wisconsin State Assembly.Robert Brooks (Wisconsin politician)
Robert Brooks (born July 13, 1965) is an American businessman and Republican politician from Saukville, Wisconsin. He is the State Representative for the 60th District of the Wisconsin State Assembly.Brooks graduated from Parkview High School in Orfordville, Wisconsin and then went to University of Wisconsin–La Crosse. Brooks owned taverns, a real estate brokerage, and management business. He served on the Ozaukee County, Wisconsin Board of Supervisors and served as chairman. Brooks ran uncontested for Wisconsin State Assembly in 2014. On November 4, 2014, Brooks was elected to the Wisconsin State Assembly. In 2018 the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that Brooks had made "sexual comments to two female state lawmakers and a racial remark to a Latina legislator". Brooks attributed the comments to the influence of alcohol, apologized, and resigned his leadership position in the assembly.Steve Doyle (Wisconsin politician)
Steve Doyle (born May 21, 1958) is a lawyer and Democratic member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, first elected to represent the 94th district in 2011. He was reelected in 2012, 2014, and 2016. He represents suburban La Crosse County including Onalaska, Holmen, West Salem and Bangor.The Second Supper
The Second Supper was a web site and newspaper published in La Crosse, Wisconsin. The newspaper was published weekly from its headquarters in Downtown La Crosse.
Originally created as a satirical newspaper, The Second Supper has since 2007 become more focused on local interest stories. Weekly issues include music, new films, cult classics, and book reviews, as well as Q&A's with established and up and coming musicians such as Hanson, Wes Borland, Killdozer, Julien-K, and Freezepop. Local interest stories and editorial columns take up the main share of content, often sticking to a universal theme for the week's issue.
The Second Supper has had its share of controversy. In 2006, the paper published a satirical piece about former United States Vice President Dick Cheney. For the 2007 Oktoberfest issue, the paper's cover featured a gloved hand emerging from water, in reference to La Crosse's history of river drownings.Thomas Morris (Wisconsin politician)
Thomas Morris (December 9, 1861 – September 17, 1928) was an American lawyer and politician in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. He served in the Wisconsin State Senate and was the 22nd Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin from 1911 until 1915.WHLA (FM)
WHLA (90.3 FM) is a radio station licensed to La Crosse, Wisconsin. The station is part of Wisconsin Public Radio (WPR), and airs WPR's "Ideas Network", consisting of news and talk programming. WHLA also broadcasts regional news and programming from studios in the Whitney Center at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.
See also Wisconsin Public RadioWilliam H. Stevenson
William Henry Stevenson (September 23, 1891 – March 19, 1978) was a member of the United States House of Representatives from Wisconsin for the years 1941-1949, he served as a Republican.
William Stevenson was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin and his family moved to La Crosse, Wisconsin when he was young. Stevenson graduated from the La Crosse Normal School (now the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse) and taught in area high schools. He went to law school in Madison and was admitted to the bar. Stevenson was District Attorney for Richland County, Wisconsin from 1924 to 1926. He moved to La Crosse and was District Attorney for La Crosse County from 1935 until 1941. In 1940 he was elected to the 77th United States Congress representing Wisconsin's 3rd congressional district. He was reelected to the following three congresses as well serving from January 3, 1941 till January 3, 1949. Stevenson died in La Crosse and was buried in Onalaska, Wisconsin.
University of Wisconsin–La Crosse