Ulupō Heiau on the eastern edge of Kawai Nui Marsh in Kailua, Hawaiʻi, is an ancient site associated in legend with the menehune, but later with high chiefs of Oʻahu, such as Kakuhihewa in the 15th century and Kualiʻi in the late 17th century. It may have reached the peak of its importance in 1750, before being abandoned after Oʻahu was conquered in the 1780s. The site became a territorial park in 1954, was partially restored in the early 1960s, marked with a bronze plaque by the State Commission on Historical Sites in 1962, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The massive stone platform of the heiau measures 140 by 180 feet (55 m), with outer walls up to 30 feet (9.1 m) high, its size and scale indicating both its cultural importance and the chiefly power of its patrons. Many of the stones may have been transported from as far as Kualoa, more than 10 miles (16 km) away. Although it probably began as an agricultural heiau (mapele) with springs feeding crops of taro, banana, sweet potato, and sugarcane along the fringes of the 400-acre (1.6 km2) Kawai Nui pond full of mullet and other fish. However, the great warrior chief Kualiʻi may have converted it to a heiau luakini, with an altar, an oracle tower (anuʻu), thatched hale, and wooden images (kiʻi).
Kailua, with its ample supplies of pond fish, irrigated fields, and canoe landings, was a center of political power for Koʻolaupoko, which often vied with Waialua for control of Oʻahu. After defeating the forces of Oʻahu high chief Kahahana in the 1780s, Maui chief Kahekili lived in Kailua, as did Kamehameha I after conquering Oʻahu in 1795. In later years, Queen Kalama, consort of Kamehameha III, inherited most of the land in Kailua after the death of her husband in 1854, most of it acquired in 1917 by Harold Kainalu Long Castle for his Kaneohe Ranch. The acquisition of land for Kaneohe Ranch brought about changes to the area due to the grazing and ranching of livestock.
Top side of heiau platform
|Nearest city||Kailua, Hawaii|
|Area||2 acres (0.81 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||72000425|
|Added to NRHP||November 9, 1972|
The Ahukini State Recreation Pier is located on the Southeast shore of Kauai in the U.S. state of Hawaii. It is near the Lihu'e Airport, near the edge of the Hanama'ulu Bay.
The Pier is the end point for the Ahukini Terminal and Railway Company, which operated the railway along Kauai's Coconut Coast beginning in Anahola, Hawaii.Big Island National Wildlife Refuge Complex
The Big Island National Wildlife Refuge Complex is a protected wildlife refuge administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service located on Hawaiʻi Island (commonly known as the Big Island) in the state of Hawaii. It consists of Hakalau Forest on the windward side of Mauna Kea and Kona Forest on the western side of Mauna Loa.Huliheʻe Palace
The Huliheʻe Palace is located in historic Kailua-Kona, Hawaiʻi, on Ali'i Drive. The former vacation home of Hawaiian royalty, it was converted to a museum run by the Daughters of Hawaiʻi, showcasing furniture and artifacts. It is located at 75–5718 Aliʻi Drive, Kailua-Kona.Kahana Bay
Kahana Bay and Kahana Bay Beach Park are located on the windward side of the island of Oahu in the state of Hawaii.Kailua, Honolulu County, Hawaii
Kailua is a census-designated place (CDP) in Honolulu County, Hawaii, United States. It lies in the Koʻolaupoko District of the island of Oʻahu on the windward coast at Kailua Bay. It is in the judicial district and the ahupua'a named Ko'olaupoko. It is 12 miles (19 km) northeast of Honolulu – over Nu‘uanu Pali. The population was 38,635 at the 2010 census.In the Hawaiian language Kailua means "two seas" or "two currents", a contraction of the words kai (meaning "sea" or "sea water") and ʻelua (meaning "two"); it is so named because of the two lagoons in the district or the two currents which run through Kailua Bay.
Kailua is primarily a residential community, with a centralized commercial district along Kailua Road. The population was 50,000 in 1992.Places of note in Kailua include Kailua Beach Park, Lanikai Beach, Kawai Nui Marsh, Maunawili Falls, and Marine Corps Base Hawaii. It was home to Barack Obama’s winter White House.Kauai National Wildlife Refuge Complex
Kauai National Wildlife Refuge Complex is a National Wildlife Refuge complex in the state of Hawaii, USA.Kaumahina State Wayside Park
Kaumahina State Wayside Park or Kaumahina State Park, is located in Maui County, Hawaii, 28.3 miles (45.5 km) East of Kahului and 22.4 miles (36.0 km) West of Hana along the Hana Highway. The park consists of 7.8 acres (32,000 m2) of forest and exotic plants. Amenities include a rest stop and scenic views of the northeast Maui coastline and Ke'anae Peninsula.Kewalo Basin
Kewalo Basin is a commercial boat harbor that serves as home to some of Honolulu's commercial fishing fleet, and charter and excursion vessels that serve the Hawaii tourist market. Pre-European contact, the area was historically used for human sacrifice. The land was given to Ihu by Kamehameha I and inherited by his daughter Kamakeʻe and her husband Jonah Piikoi. On the ocean side of the harbor is a small beach park on the Honolulu waterfront, located adjacent to the larger Ala Moana Beach Park. This park is good for swimming, picnicking and sightseeing. It can be accessed from the corners of Ala Moana Boulevard and Ward Avenue.Lava Tree State Monument
Lava Tree State Monument is a public park located 2.7 miles (4.3 km) southeast of Pāhoa in the Puna District on the island of Hawaii.
It preserves lava molds of the tree trunks that were formed when a lava flow swept through a forested area in 1790.List of National Natural Landmarks in Hawaii
These are the National Natural Landmarks in the U.S. state of Hawaii.MacKenzie State Recreation Area
The MacKenzie State Recreation Area is a park in southern Puna, on Hawaiʻi Island in the US state of Hawaii.Maui National Wildlife Refuge Complex
Maui National Wildlife Refuge Complex is a National Wildlife Refuge complex in the state of Hawaii.Oahu Forest National Wildlife Refuge
Oʻahu Forest National Wildlife Refuge was established in 2000 to protect fish, wildlife, and plants which are listed as threatened or endangered species. The refuge encompasses approximately 4,525 acres (18.31 km2) and is managed by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.Oahu National Wildlife Refuge Complex
Oahu National Wildlife Refuge Complex is a National Wildlife Refuge complex in the state of Hawaii.Palaʻau State Park
Palaʻau State Park is a state park located on the Hawaiian island of Molokai.Pua'a Ka'a State Wayside Park
Puaʻa Kaʻa State Wayside Park is a state park on the island of Maui, Hawaiʻi. It is located along the Hana Highway approximately 39 mi (63 km) east of Kahului. The area consists of 5 acres (2.0 ha) of rainforest with waterfalls and pools. The park is at an elevation of 1,200 ft (370 m) and roughly 0.5 mi (0.80 km) away from Waiohue Bay.Wailoa River State Recreation Area
The Wailoa River State Recreation Area is a park in Hilo, on Hawaiʻi Island in the US state of Hawaii.Wailua Valley State Wayside Park
Wailua Valley State Wayside Park is located 31 miles east of Kahului, Maui. The lookout provides views into Ke'anae Valley. From the park you can view waterfalls, the Ko'olau Gap, Wailua Peninsula and the rim of Haleakala Crater.Waiʻanapanapa State Park
Waiʻanapanapa State Park is a 122-acre (0.49 km2) state park in Hana, on the island of Maui, in Hawaii. It is located at the end of Waiʻanapanapa Road off Hana Highway at mile marker 32, 53 miles (85 km) east of Kahului, Maui. Waiʻanapanapa means “glistening fresh water” in the Hawaiian language, referring to nearby fresh water streams and sparkling pools. The camp offers camping facilities, including a small lawn where campers may pitch a tent, and a public bathroom nearby.
|Lists by state|
|Lists by insular areas|
|Lists by associated state|