The Tudor rose (sometimes called the Union rose) is the traditional floral heraldic emblem of England and takes its name and origins from the House of Tudor, which united the House of York and House of Lancaster. The Tudor rose consists of five white inner petals, representing the House of York, and five red outer petals to represent the House of Lancaster.
When Henry VII took the crown of England from Richard III in battle (1485), he brought the end of the retrospectively dubbed "Wars of the Roses" between the House of Lancaster (one monarch of which had sometimes used the badge of a red or gold rose) and the House of York (which had lately used a white-rose badge). Henry's father was Edmund Tudor from the House of Richmond (maternally), and his mother was Margaret Beaufort from the House of Lancaster; in January 1486 he married Elizabeth of York to bring all factions together. (In battle, Richard III fought under the banner of the boar, and Henry under the banner of the dragon of his native Wales.) The white rose versus red rose juxtaposition was Henry's invention. The historian Thomas Penn writes:
The "Lancastrian" red rose was an emblem that barely existed before Henry VII. Lancastrian kings used the rose sporadically, but when they did it was often gold rather than red; Henry VI, the king who presided over the country's descent into civil war, preferred his badge of the antelope. Contemporaries certainly did not refer to the traumatic civil conflict of the 15th century as the "Wars of the Roses". For the best part of a quarter-century, from 1461 to 1485, there was only one royal rose, and it was white: the badge of Edward IV. The roses were actually created after the war by Henry VII.
On his marriage, Henry VII adopted the Tudor rose badge conjoining the White Rose of York and the Red Rose of Lancaster. The Tudor rose is occasionally seen divided in quarters (heraldically as "quartered") and vertically (in heraldic terms per pale) red and white. More often, the Tudor rose is depicted as a double rose, white on red and is always described, heraldically, as "proper".
During his reign, Henry VIII had the legendary "Round Table" at Winchester Castle – then believed to be genuine – repainted. The new paint scheme included a Tudor rose in the centre. Though previous to this, his father Henry VII had built a chapel at Westminster Abbey dedicated to himself (it was later used for the site of his tomb) and it was decorated principally with the Tudor rose and the Beaufort portcullis – as a form of propaganda to define his claim to the throne.
The Tudor rose badge may appear slipped and crowned: shown as a cutting with a stem and leaves beneath a crown; this badge appears in Nicholas Hilliard's "Pelican Portrait" of Elizabeth I and since an Order in Council (dated 5 November 1800), has served as the Royal Floral emblem of England.
The Tudor rose may also appear dimidiated (cut in half and combined with half another emblem) to form a compound badge. The Westminster Tournament Roll includes a badge of Henry and his first wife Catherine of Aragon with a slipped Tudor rose conjoined with Catherine's personal badge, the pomegranate; their daughter Mary I bore the same badge. James I of England and VI of Scotland used a badge consisting of a Tudor rose dimidiated with a thistle and surmounted by a royal crown.
The crowned and slipped Tudor Rose is used as the plant badge of England, as Scotland uses the thistle, Ireland uses the shamrock, and Wales uses the leek. As such, it is seen on the dress uniforms of the Yeomen Warders at the Tower of London, and of the Yeomen of the Guard. It features in the design of the British Twenty Pence coin minted between 1982 and 2008, and in the royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom. It also features on the coat of arms of Canada.
The Tudor rose makes up part of the cap badge of the Intelligence Corps of the British Army. It is also notably used (albeit in a monochromatic form) as the symbol of the English Tourist Board. and as part of the badge of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.
The Tudor Rose is used as the emblem of the Nautical Training Corps, a uniformed youth organisation founded in Brighton in 1944 with 20 units in South East England. The Corps badge has the Tudor Rose on the shank of an anchor with the motto "For God, Queen and Country". It is also used as part of the Corps' cap badge.
Carshalton was a local government district in north east Surrey from 1883 to 1965 around the town of Carshalton.
The parish of Carshalton adopted the Local Government Act 1858 in 1883 and a local board was formed to govern the town. The Local Government Act 1894 reconstituted the area as an urban district, and an elected urban district council replaced the local board. In 1933 the boundaries of the district were altered after the abolition of Epsom Rural District.The district was abolished in 1965 by the London Government Act 1963 and the former area was transferred to Greater London to be combined with that of other districts to form the present-day London Borough of Sutton.
Carshalton Urban District Council were granted armorial bearings by the College of Arms on 14 May 1952. The basic colours of the shield were gold and red, from the arms of the Mandeville family who anciently held the manor of Carshalton. The chevron in the centre of the arms was derived from the arms of the Gaynesford and Scawen families. On the chevron was placed a heraldic fountain for the many springs and pools of the town, with on either side a silver sprig of oak. The oak sprigs came from the arms of Surrey County Council. The lions appeared in the arms of three local families: Burgersh, Fellowes and Hardwick. The greyhound was from the Gaynesford family arms, and also depicted the historic Greyhound Inn. The crest above the shield featured a mural crown as symbol of local government. On this was placed a Tudor rose, the symbol of the UDC prior to 1952. From the crown rose a swan, based on the Bohun swan, the heraldic badge of the Bohun family. In the swan's beak was a sprig of beech symbolising Carshalton Beeches.Chestnut Street, Kent
Chestnut Street is a settlement to the west of Sittingbourne in the Borough of Swale, Kent, England.
It is located on the former A249 road alignment, between the junction with the A2 road near Key Street and Danaway. The A249, a dual carriageway since the 1990s, avoids Chestnut Street. Its postal address is Chestnut Street, Borden, Kent; that village is a mile (1.6 km) to the east.
There are a number of Grade II listed buildings in the hamlet, including Hooks Hole, Old Houses, Dumbles, Tudor Rose Cottage, Oldstede, and Chestnut Street Farmhouse.Coat of arms of Oxford
The coat of arms of Oxford is the official heraldic arms of Oxford, used by Oxford City Council.
While the bull is common in heraldry, in the arms of Oxford an ox, which is less common, is used. The arms is canting, showing an ox fording over water. The coat of arms with its crest—a blue imperial lion—and supporters was not formally granted but was recorded at the heraldic visitation on 12 August 1634. The oldest image of the ox on the water is from a seal for Oxford from the 14th Century. The water is most likely the River Thames, which runs through the city.It is not known today what the supporters—an Elephant Ermines eared Argent tusked Or collared and lined Or and a Beaver Vert its tail barry wavy Azure and Argent ducally gorged and lined Or—were meant to symbolize. Both of the beasts also appear in the arms of families associated with the city's history. The tincture of the elephant is ermines, a fur which can also be called counter-ermine. The crown around the neck of the beaver is a duke's coronet.
The crest shows a lion, which despite its tincture is supposed to be the English lion, as it is crowned with an imperial crown. It is holding a Royal Tudor rose.The shield was used in the logo of Morris Motors, which started in Oxford.Coat of arms of Saint Lucia
The Saint Lucian coat of arms was designed by Sydney Bagshaw in 1967 and was adopted during pre-independence at the time of internal self-government. The national motto (the land, the people, the light) is found at the bottom.
This symbol represents the official seal of the Government of Saint Lucia. The following is a brief description of the coat of arms.
Tudor Rose- England
la Maguire - France
Stool - Africa
Torch - Beacon to light the path
Amazona versicolor - the national birdCoat of arms of the Royal Borough of Greenwich
The coat of arms of the Royal Borough of Greenwich is the official heraldic arms of the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Arms were originally granted to this London borough in 1965 but new arms were granted to replace these arms on 3 January 2012, as it was already decided the borough was to become a royal borough that year. Originally, the intention was that the borough would receive the royal epithet on the 3 January, but this was postponed by one month to 3 February.Arms were originally granted to the London Borough by letters patent dated 1 October 1965. The hour glass and stars were taken from the arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich and symbolise the position of the borough as the place from which the standard of time is taken. The three cannon barrels, taken from the arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich, signify the association of that borough with the Royal Arsenal. These are also the origin of the cannon in the crest of Arsenal F.C..Although much of the 1965 design has been retained, the arms have been altered by the addition of a representation of the Thames. The two sixpointed radiated stars from the old arms were replaced by two fivepointed mullets, one hour glass became two and instead of three cannon barrels with a lion's head on each, there is now only one. In addition a crest and supporters were added to the arms: the crest comprises a Tudor Rose and a fouled anchor for royal and maritime connections. The supporters are two Roman gods: Jupiter (in Greek called Zeus, a name also used in the blazon) and Neptune (in Greek called Poseidon, but here the blazon uses the English cognate of the Latin name). According to the homepage of the borough, the supporters wear a mural crown and a naval crown respectively to represent the borough's historic associations with the British Army and Royal Navy; normally, a mural crown is used in heraldry to represent the civil municipal authority of a town or city and is not connected to the military at all. Jupiter is holding an astrolab of a kind constructed by Georg Hartmann, clearly a symbol for the astronomical studies at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, while Neptune is holding his usual attribute of a trident.
The helmet is facing forwards, something which usually is reserved for royal arms. Special dispensation has been given to the royal borough for this use. The same is true for the Tudor rose in the crest, which also is marking the borough's long association with royalty.The motto, 'We govern by serving', has been retained from the old arms.Coronation gown of Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II's coronation took place on 2 June 1953. Ordered in October 1952, it took eight months of research, design and workmanship to make the intricate embroidery of her coronation gown. It featured the floral emblems of the countries of the United Kingdom and those of the other states within the Commonwealth of Nations, including the English Tudor rose, Scots thistle, Welsh leek, Irish shamrock, Canadian maple leaf, Australian wattle, New Zealand silver fern, South African protea, Indian lotus flower for India, the Lotus flower of Ceylon, and Pakistan's wheat, cotton, and jute.The gown, like the Elizabeth's wedding dress and other notable royal dresses of this period, was designed by Norman Hartnell. It was the Queen's wish that the coronation dress should be made of satin, like her wedding dress, with accentuation of regal elegance, but with no undue emphasis on shape. The gown now forms part of the Royal Collection.After the coronation, the dress was worn on several occasions such as when she opened the parliaments in New Zealand (1954), Australia (1954), Ceylon (1954), and Canada (1957).Double rose
Double rose is a term used for a rose in heraldry when it has not only five petals, but additionally five petals within the outer petals. It is in essence a combination of two roses, one on top of the other. A standard heraldic rose should not be depicted this way but has only the five outer petals.An example of this heraldic charge is the Tudor rose, which is (most usually) a double rose gules and argent, barbed and seeded proper, but as it is so common in English heraldry it is often just blazoned as a "Tudor rose" or a "Tudor rose proper", for instance in the coat of arms of the Royal Borough of Greenwich, London.
In botany, a double rose is a double-flowered variety of the rose, much like the heraldic double rose. These varieties go back to pre-heraldic times.English Rose
English Rose may refer to:
English rose (epithet), a description of an Englishwoman who is naturally attractive
"English Rose" is the designation for rose cultivars bred by David C.H. Austin
Tudor rose, the traditional floral heraldic emblem of EnglandHeraldic badge
A heraldic badge, emblem, impresa, device, or personal device worn as a badge indicates allegiance to, or the property of, an individual or family. Medieval forms are usually called a livery badge, and also a cognizance. They are para-heraldic, not necessarily using elements from the coat of arms of the person or family they represent, though many do, often taking the crest or supporters. Their use was more flexible than that of arms proper.
Badges worn on clothing were common in the late Middle Ages, particularly in England. They could be made of base metal, cloth or other materials and worn on the clothing of the followers of the person in question; grander forms would be worn by important persons, with the Dunstable Swan Jewel in enamelled gold a rare survivor. Livery collars were also given to important persons, often with the badge as a pendant. The badge would also be embroidered or appliqued on standards, horse trappings, livery uniforms, and other belongings. Many medieval badges survive in English pub names.Hubert Bath
Hubert Charles Bath (6 November 1883 – 24 April 1945) was a British film composer, music director, and conductor. His credits include Tudor Rose (1936), A Yank at Oxford (1938) and Millions Like Us (1943).Lady Jane (1986 film)
Lady Jane is a 1986 British costume drama romance film directed by Trevor Nunn, written by David Edgar, and starring Helena Bonham Carter as the title character. It tells the story of Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days' Queen, on her reign and romance with husband Lord Guildford Dudley. The film features several members of The Royal Shakespeare Company.
The story had previously been turned into a 1936 film Tudor Rose, and a 1923 silent film Lady Jane Grey; Or, The Court of Intrigue.Mid Glamorgan
Mid Glamorgan (Welsh: Morgannwg Ganol) is a preserved county of Wales. From 1974 until 1996 it was also an administrative county with a county council.
Mid Glamorgan was formed in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. It consisted of part of the former administrative county of Glamorgan and the county borough of Merthyr Tydfil, along with the parishes of Penderyn and Vaynor from Brecknockshire and the urban districts of Bedwas and Machen, Rhymney and part of Bedwellty, from Monmouthshire.
It was divided into six districts:
Taff-ElyMid Glamorgan and its component districts were abolished in 1996 and the area split into the unitary authorities of Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhondda Cynon Taf and part of Caerphilly as a result of the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994.
The communities of Wick, St Brides Major, Ewenny (from the Ogwr district) became part of the Vale of Glamorgan county borough, while Pentyrch (from the Taff-Ely district) was added to the Cardiff unitary authority area. Because of this, they became part of the preserved county of South Glamorgan. In 2003 the ceremonial borders were further adjusted, placing the entire Caerphilly county borough in the ceremonial county of Gwent.The county council's offices were located in the Glamorgan Building (the former headquarters of Glamorgan County Council) in Cathays Park, Cardiff outside the Mid Glamorgan boundaries.
The county council's coat of arms was very similar to that of the previous council of Glamorganshire : Or, three chevronels gules between two clarions of the last in chief, and in base a Tudor rose barbed and seeded proper. The crest, as with Glamorganshire, was the same Welsh dragon rising from flames, only this time supporting a flag bearing three chevronels from the arms of Iestyn ap Gwrgant, the last ruler of the old Kingdom of Morgannwg. The coalminer and steel worker were retained as the supporters of the arms, but with their positions reversed. The motto A Ddioddefws A Orfu or "He Who suffered, conquered" was also retained from Glamorganshire.Red Rose of Lancaster
The Red Rose of Lancaster (a rose gules) is the county flower of Lancashire.
The exact species or cultivar which the red rose relates to is uncertain, but it is thought to be Rosa gallica officinalis.
The rose was first adopted as an heraldic device by the first Earl of Lancaster. It was one of the badges of Henry IV of England, the first king of the House of Lancaster. Following the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485, it became the emblem of Lancashire.Rose (heraldry)
The rose is a common device in heraldry. It is often used both as a charge on a coat of arms and by itself as an heraldic badge. The heraldic rose has a stylized form consisting of five symmetrical lobes, five barbs, and a circular seed. The rose is one of the most common plant symbols in heraldry, together with the lily, which also has a stylistic representation in the fleur-de-lis.The rose was the symbol of the English Tudor dynasty, and the ten-petaled Tudor rose is associated with England. Roses also feature prominently in the arms of the princely House of Lippe and on the seal of Martin Luther.Royal badges of England
In heraldry, the royal badges of England comprise the heraldic badges that were used by the monarchs of the Kingdom of England.
Heraldic badges are distinctive to a person or family, similar to the arms and the crest. But unlike them, the badge is not an integral component of a coat of arms, although they can be displayed alongside them. Badges are in fact complete and independent and can be displayed alone. Furthermore, unlike the arms and crest, which are personal devices that could only be displayed by the owner, the badge could be easily borne by others, in the form of a cognizance or livery badge, to be worn by retainers and adherents. Badges are displayed on standards and personal objects, as well as on private and public buildings to show ownership or patronage.Tudor Rose (film)
Tudor Rose (US title Nine Days a Queen) is a 1936 British film directed by Robert Stevenson and starring Cedric Hardwicke and Nova Pilbeam.
The film is a dramatization of Lady Jane Grey's brief reign as the Queen of England. It opens with King Henry VIII on his deathbed stating the order of succession, and ends with Jane's beheading. It took some liberties with the history of the period, including a fictional Earl of Warwick playing a similar role to John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland in real life (Dudley having held the title Earl of Warwick earlier in his career).
The title refers to the Tudor rose. The story of Lady Jane Grey was also the basis for the film Lady Jane (1986).Tudor rose (disambiguation)
Tudor rose is a traditional heraldic emblem of England, first introduced by Henry VII.
Tudor rose may also refer to:
Tudor Rose (film), 1936 film also known as Nine Days a QueenYiewsley and West Drayton Urban District
Yiewsley and West Drayton also known as Yiewsley and West Drayton U.D. was an urban district in Middlesex, England (1911-1965). It expanded to the south-east in 1929 and to the south-west in 1930. Its area became the south-west of the London Borough of Hillingdon.