The Trans Pennine Trail is a long-distance path running from coast to coast across Northern England entirely on surfaced paths and using only gentle gradients (it runs largely along disused railway lines and canal towpaths). It forms part of European walking route E8 and is part of the National Cycle Network as Route 62 (referencing the M62 motorway which also crosses the Pennines).
Most of the surfaces and gradients make it a relatively easy trail, suitable for cyclists, pushchairs and wheelchair users. The section between Stockport and Barnsley is hilly, especially near Woodhead, and not all sections or barriers are accessible for users of wheelchairs or non-standard cycles. Some parts are also open to horse riding.
The trail is administered from a central office in Barnsley, which is responsible for promotion and allocation of funding. However, the twenty-seven local authorities whose areas the trail runs through are responsible for management of the trail within their boundaries.
The idea originated from Barnsley, where the head office is now based. Work on the trail started in 1999. Early development was boosted by a £5 million investment by the Millennium Commission. The trail was officially opened in September 2001. However, the route was not fully completed until late 2004. It cost £60 million to construct.
The main west–east trail starts at Southport, then heads south through the suburbs of Liverpool, through Widnes, Warrington, Manchester, Stockport and Hadfield. It then crosses the Peak District, heading up the Longdendale valley via the Longdendale Trail to Woodhead, then down through Dunford Bridge and Penistone, Doncaster, Selby, Hessle, Hull and Hornsea. This route covers 207 miles (333.1 km). Between Southport and Selby it is National Cycle Network, Route 62 and from Selby to Hornsea, NCN Route 65.
There is also a north–south trail that runs from Leeds and through Wakefield. It then passes through Barnsley and crosses over the main trail in the Dearne Valley area. After that it continues south to Sheffield and the Rother Valley Country Park before terminating in Chesterfield. This is NCN Route 67 and is 70 miles (112.7 km) long.
The route also has several deviations and loops in South Yorkshire, including one to Rotherham, NCN Route 6 and NCN Route 627 south of Penistone. Another 15-mile (24.1 km) spur runs from Selby to York, NCN Route 65.
Certificates are handed out for covering different parts of the trail. In order to obtain them, trail users need to collect stamps at various points along the trail.
The Beverley 20 is a walk in the East Riding of Yorkshire that runs between Beverley Minster and the Humber Bridge that pass through the local villages of Skidby and North Ferriby. It also clips the edge of Walkington.
The paths themselves are also used by other longer routes. The section from the Humber Bridge to North Ferriby is used by the Yorkshire Wolds Way, High Hunsley Circuit and the Trans Pennine Trail.
The Beverley 20 is the first stage of a four-part walk from The Humber Bridge to Filey, The East Riding Heritage Trail.Clubmoor railway station
Clubmoor railway station was located on the North Liverpool Extension Line at Broad Lane, Norris Green, Liverpool, England.The passengers only station opened on 14 April 1927 as part of the Cheshire line link from Halewood to Southport. It closed on 7 November 1960.
The tracks through the station continued to be used by freight trains until 1975. They were lifted in early 1979.
Today the wall at the main entrance on the west side of the line and remnants of station platforms and fence posts survive. The base of the waiting shelters can also be seen.The trackbed now forms part of the Trans Pennine Trail which runs from Kingston upon Hull to Southport.Denaby Ings
Denaby Ings are a nature reserve on the River Dearne, encompassing an area of 23 hectares north of Denaby Main, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, near the town of Mexborough. The Trans Pennine Trail passes here. The habitats include open water, water meadows, woodland scrub and hedgerows. Birdwatching is a popular activity there. The area has been classed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since 11 August 1983.Gateacre railway station
Gateacre (for Woolton) railway station was located on the North Liverpool Extension Line on the north side of Belle Vale Road, Gateacre, Liverpool, England. Next door was the Black Bull public house which still existed in 2015.
Official maps, tickets, timetables, a large exterior station sign and platform nameboards variously refer to the station as "Gateacre", "Gateacre, for Woolton", "Gateacre for Woolton" and "Gateacre & Woolton". "Gateacre" is pronounced "Gattiker."
The station had outlived those on the same line north of Aintree by twenty years and all the remainder by twelve years when it closed to passengers on 15 April 1972. It had latterly been the suburban terminus of the sole residual service from Liverpool Central (High Level). It was planned that the station would reopen as the southern terminus of Merseyrail's Northern Line. This never occurred, with Hunts Cross becoming the terminus. The tracks through the station site were used for freight trains to Liverpool Docks until 1975. They were lifted in early 1979.
By 2015 the trackbed though the station site formed part of the Trans Pennine Trail.Hornsea Rail Trail
Hornsea Rail Trail is a public footpath, cycleway and bridleway which follows the route of the old Hull and Hornsea Railway in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It forms the eastern part of the Trans Pennine Trail.Knotty Ash railway station
Knotty Ash & Stanley railway station was located on the North Liverpool Extension Line to the north of the East Prescot Road, Knotty Ash, Liverpool, England.
The station opened in 1879 as "Old Swan & Knotty Ash". It was renamed "Knotty Ash & Stanley" in 1888, but it was always referred to locally simply as "Knotty Ash". The station nameboards read "Knotty Ash".It closed to passengers on 7 November 1960, to general goods in 1965 and completely in 1972.
The line through the station was used by freight trains until 1975, the tracks were lifted in early 1979.
By 2015 the trackbed though the station site formed part of the Trans Pennine Trail.Longdendale Trail
The Longdendale Trail is an English long-distance trail following the former Woodhead railway line, which used to run between Manchester and Sheffield (and closed east of Hadfield in 1981). It has shallow gradients and a smooth surface that makes it popular with families and cyclists.
The Trail, which opened in May 1992, forms part of the longer Trans Pennine Trail, NCR 62, that runs from coast to coast across the UK (Liverpool to Hull). This in turn is part of the E8 European long distance path, which runs for 4,700 kilometres (2,900 mi) from Cork in Ireland to Istanbul in Turkey.Mickletown
Mickletown is a district within the village of Methley, south of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England.
The Leeds Country Way and the Trans Pennine Trail both pass Mickletown.Midshires Way
The Midshires Way is a long-distance footpath and bridleway that runs for 230 miles (370 km) from the Chiltern Hills from near Bledlow in Buckinghamshire, through the Midlands counties of Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, to Stockport, Greater Manchester. It also links several other long-distance walking routes or trackways including The Ridgeway, the Pennine Bridleway and the Trans Pennine Trail.The route was opened in 1994 as a collaboration between numerous Local Authorities and user groups. It is intended as a multi-user trail but there are places where the recommended route for walkers differs from the route for horse riders and cyclists.Mossbridge railway station
Mossbridge railway station was located on Downholland Moss at Moss Lane, Haskayne, Lancashire, England. The Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension Railway (SCLER) opened Mossbridge on 5 April 1886 as "Barton & Halsall".A short distance north of the station the line crossed Downholland Brook by a substantial bridge.The station closed in 1917, along with all other stations on the extension line, as a World War I economy measure. Unlike all the others, however, Mossbridge never reopened to passengers.
This part of the SCLER now forms part of the Trans Pennine Trail.Naburn railway station
Naburn railway station was a railway station which served the village of Naburn, south of York, on the East Coast Main Line. It closed to passengers in 1953 and to goods services in 1964; the station building is now a hostel. In 1983 the Selby Diversion was opened which led to the closure of the railway line through Naburn; the trackbed is now used as a cycle path between York and Selby and is part of the National Cycle Network and the Trans Pennine Trail.National Cycle Route 62
National Cycle Network (NCN) Route 62 is a Sustrans National Route that runs from Fleetwood to Selby. As of 2018 the route has a missing section between Preston and Southport but is otherwise open and signed.National Cycle Route 65
National Cycle Network (NCN) Route 65 is a Sustrans National Route that runs from Hornsea on the North Sea Coast of The East Riding of Yorkshire via Hull and York to Middlesbrough. It is fully open and signed.
Between Hornsea and York it forms the eastern end of the Trans Pennine Trail. The section between York and Linton-on-Ouse is part of the Way of the Roses. In 1998 Route 65 between Hull and Middlesbrough was branded The White Rose cycle route. This branding is no longer in use.Oxspring
Oxspring is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. At the 2001 census it had a population of 1,048, increasing to 1,225 at the 2011 Census. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Clays-Green, Roughbirchworth and Storrs. It is situated on the River Don with the main village being between the Sheffield Road (B6462) and the route of the Trans Pennine Trail. On the other (NE) side of the river is the A629, part of which is called Oxspring Lane, indicating the position of the original hamlet (now High Oxspring Farm).
The parish has a post office, a combined C of E church and community hall, St Aidan's, a primary school and two public houses, the Waggon and Horses on the B6462 and the Travellers Inn on the A629. There is a small amount of industry at the north west end.Springfield Park, Liverpool
Springfield Park is a 22-acre (8.9 ha) park in Liverpool, England.
It is located in the suburb of Knotty Ash, and lies to the north of Prescot Road. Much of the park is now occupied by the newly rebuilt Alder Hey Children's Hospital, which opened in October 2015. The park has a direct track that links to the Trans Pennine Trail. It also has a path that leads into Alder Veterinary Hospital's Car-park and then continues to Eaton Road.Topham, South Yorkshire
Topham is a small rural hamlet upon the River Went in rural Yorkshire within the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in northern England. The hamlet runs along the Trans-Pennine Trail.Upper Don Walk
The Upper Don Walk is a six mile long recreational walk which links the centre of Sheffield to the village of Oughtibridge to the north west of the city. It follows the course of the River Don and partially the National Cycle Network route 627 (a spur of the Trans Pennine Trail). The route is variable in quality, the first mile is well defined as it has been integrated into the newly developed quarters to the immediate north of the city centre. The rest of the route is a mixture of path, road and woodland walking.West Derby railway station
West Derby railway station was located on the North Liverpool Extension Line to the south of Mill Lane, West Derby, Liverpool, England. It opened on 1 December 1879.
It closed to passengers on November 1960 and closed completely five years later.
The line through the station site continued in use by freight trains until 1975, though the tracks were not lifted until early 1979.
The station was about 2 miles away from Croxteth Hall which was the home of Lord Sefton.
The platforms are extant and the station building is now a private residence and shop. By 2015 the trackbed though the station site formed part of the Trans Pennine Trail.Woodhead, Derbyshire
Woodhead is a small and scattered settlement at the head of the Longdendale valley in Derbyshire, England. It lies on the trans-Pennine A628 road connecting Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire, 6 miles (10 km) north of Glossop, 19 miles (31 km) east of Manchester and 18 miles (29 km) west of Barnsley. It is close to the River Etherow and the Trans Pennine Trail. Like nearby Tintwistle and Crowden, the hamlet lies within the historic county boundaries of Cheshire.Woodhead is the location of the western portals of the Woodhead Tunnels, three former railway tunnels on the electrified Woodhead Line between Manchester and Sheffield. There was formerly a railway station and signal box at Woodhead. The Woodhead railway line closed in 1981; the trackbed between Woodhead and Hadfield now forms the Longdendale Trail. The platforms are still intact, although the track has been removed.
Among the remains in the graveyard of St James Church, a small 18th-century chapel, are the unmarked graves of navvies who died during the construction of the tunnels. Adjoining the church is Bleak House, a Grade-II-listed 19th-century dwelling. Two miles to the east, the Lady Cross marks the highest point of the former packhorse road from Longdendale to Rotherham. Only its base and the bottom of the shaft survive.
The hamlet gives its name to Woodhead Reservoir, the highest in the Longdendale Chain of reservoirs.
On 6 July 2014, Stage 2 of the 2014 Tour de France, from York to Sheffield, passed through the hamlet.
Attractions along the Trans Pennine Trail