Tonbridge School is an independent boarding and day school for boys in Tonbridge, Kent, England, founded in 1553 by Sir Andrew Judde (sometimes spelled Judd). It is a member of the Eton Group and has close links with the Worshipful Company of Skinners, one of the oldest London livery companies. It is a public school in the British sense of the term.
There are currently around 800 boys in the school, aged between 13 and 18. The school occupies a site of 150 acres (607,000 m²) on the edge of Tonbridge, and is largely self-contained, though the boarding and day houses are spread through the town. Since its foundation the school has been rebuilt twice on the original site. For the academic year 2015/16, Tonbridge charges full boarders up to £12,096 per term and £9,072 per term for day pupils, making it the 4th and 6th most expensive HMC boarding and day school respectively.
The headmaster is James Priory who began his tenure at the school in 2018.
The school is one of only a very few of the ancient public schools not to have turned co-educational, and there are no plans for this to happen.
Independent day and boarding
|Motto||Latin: Deus Dat Incrementum|
(God Giveth the Increase)
|Founder||Sir Andrew Judde|
|Department for Education URN||118959 Tables|
|Age||13 to 18|
|Houses||7 boarding, 5 day|
|Colour(s)||Black, white and maroon|
|Former pupils||Old Tonbridgians|
The school was founded in 1553 by Andrew Judde, being granted its royal charter by Edward VI. The first headmaster was the Revd John Proctor, a fellow of All Souls College, Oxford. From 1553 until his death in 1558, Judde was the sole governor of the school, and, at some time, he framed the statutes that were to govern it for the next 270 years. On Judde's death, the school was passed to the Skinners' Company, after a dispute with Judde's business partner Henry Fisher.
For the next hundred years few details of the school survive apart from rare records in the Skinners' Company books. Headmaster Proctor died in 1558, and was succeeded by a series of headmasters, usually clergy and always classical scholars. They included the Revd William Hatch (1587–1615), the first Old Tonbridgian headmaster. According to the Skinners' records, the Revd Michael Jenkins (1615–24) was appointed because "he was the only one who turned up". During his time as headmaster, the school received a series of generous endowments from Thomas Smythe, the first governor of the East India Company and son of Andrew Judde's daughter Alice.
Very little written material relating to the school over the next century survives. Numbers fluctuated between 40 and 90, and the school obtained a new refectory and a new library. However, from 1680 numbers declined, and for a few years the examiners reported that there were no candidates fit for university study. In 1714, the Reverend Richard Spencer, of King's College, Cambridge, was made headmaster. He was an immediate success and very popular, and by 1721 numbers had risen to over seventy. The governors raised Spencer's salary to 30 guineas, and several of his pupils went on to successful careers. These included a future Lord Mayor of London, a vice-chancellor of Cambridge University, and George Austen, father of Jane Austen.
The first Old Tonbridgian dinner was held on 8 June 1744. The year before this, however, Spencer had resigned, and the headmastership was bestowed upon the Reverend James Cawthorn. Cawthorn persuaded the governors to build a new library at the south end of the school in 1760, and it survives today as the headmaster's house and the Skinners' Library. In 1765, the townspeople of Tonbridge asked the question of free education, and governors' legal team decided that the parishioners' children, provided they could write competently and read Latin and English perfectly, had the right to learn at the school paying only the sixpence entry fee.
In 1772, classical scholar Vicesimus Knox was made headmaster, but he reigned for a mere six years. During his tenure, numbers dropped to only seventeen. His son and namesake, Vicesimus Knox, was to take his father's place in 1779. School numbers under the young Knox rose to 85, and pupils began to arrive from all over England and also from abroad.
Knox retired in 1812, and was succeeded by his younger son, Thomas. The period of Knox's headmastership was one of national economic and political change, but at the school the greatest change was to be the increasing importance of cricket. John Abercrombie was to become the school's first cricket blue (for Cambridge) in 1839. In 1818, a nationwide commission visited Tonbridge to investigate on behalf of the reforming government. Over the next few years, a new scheme for the school was prepared and approved by the Lord Chancellor. New buildings were agreed upon by the governors, and a new dining room and dormitories were built. The school also bought the Georgian building on the High Street to the north of the new junior school, and it was renamed Judde House. This was the school's second boarding house, with the original buildings serving to house boys of the larger School House. In 1826, the governors bought the field which now contains the Head cricket ground, and the patches to the north and south of it, later to be called the Upper and Lower Hundreds. In 1838, Knox took the decision to level the Head, a considerable project, using labour and earth from the new railway workings in the town. The labourers often engaged in fights with the boys, as they were lodged nearby. The Head became the focal point of the school and was regarded as one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the south of England. Thomas Knox died shortly after the completion of his cricket pitch, in 1834, whilst preparing to preach in the parish church. His death brought to an end the 71-year reign of the Knox family.
Tonbridge lost a great many former pupils in both world wars; 415 Old Tonbridgians and three masters died in the Great War, and a further 301 OTs died in the line of duty between 1939–1945.
Lawrence Waddy took over as headmaster in 1949. The Tonbridge he inherited was still a largely Victorian institution; fagging and ritual caning were still in place, and sport was considered more important than academia. Over the next 40 years personal fagging was abolished (ending in 1965), and the intellectual life of the school was revitalised (particularly under the Headmastership of Michael McCrum). McCrum, headmaster from 1962–70, abolished the right of senior boys to administer corporal punishment, taking over for himself the pleasure of administering routine canings. First year socials were set up with nearby girls' schools such as Benenden School and Roedean School. Boaters (known at the school as "barges"), straw hats worn by boys, were no longer compulsory uniform after a major town-gown fight in the 1970s. By the 1990s the school was larger, richer and more prominent than ever. The headmaster until 2005 was Martin Hammond.
In 2005 the school was one of fifty leading independent schools found guilty of running an illegal price-fixing cartel, exposed by The Times, which had allowed them to drive up fees for thousands of parents. Each school was required to pay a nominal penalty of £10,000 and all agreed to make ex-gratia payments totalling three million pounds into a trust designed to benefit pupils who attended the schools during the period in respect of which fee information was shared. Jean Scott, the head of the Independent Schools Council, said that independent schools had always been exempt from anti-cartel rules applied to business, were following a long-established procedure in sharing the information with each other, and that they were unaware of the change to the law (on which they had not been consulted). She wrote to John Vickers, the OFT director-general, saying, "They are not a group of businessmen meeting behind closed doors to fix the price of their products to the disadvantage of the consumer. They are schools that have quite openly continued to follow a long-established practice because they were unaware that the law had changed."
There are twelve houses at Tonbridge School; seven boarding, and five day houses. Each house has its own house colours. The houses, in order of foundation:
|School House||Boarding||Black and blue|
|Judd House||Boarding||Magenta and black|
|Park House||Boarding||White, purple|
|Hill Side||Boarding||Red and black|
|Parkside||Boarding||Yellow and amphibione|
|Ferox Hall||Boarding||Orange and yellow|
|Manor House||Boarding||Green and red|
|Welldon House||Day||Light and dark blue|
|Smythe House||Day||Chocolate and Cerise|
|Whitworth||Day||Green and white|
|Cowdrey House||Day||Purple and green|
|Oakeshott House||Day||Scarlet and Gold|
Each house contains approximately 65 pupils. The names are all drawn from the location of the house itself (e.g. Park House, Parkside House, School House (originally located in the main school building) and Hill Side), or are names of benefactors, headmasters and others who have left their mark on the school over the years (e.g. Smythe House, named after Sir Thomas Smythe (see also Smythe Library), Judd House, named after the founder of the school, Whitworth and Welldon, both named after headmasters of the school, and Cowdrey House, named after Colin Cowdrey, arguably the most famous Tonbridge alumnus). The only exceptions are Ferox Hall, which takes its name from the Latin for ferocious, and Manor House which was named by a former housemaster.
The Chapel of St Augustine of Canterbury occupies a central position in the school next to the old buildings and Orchard Centre. The chapel is collegiate in layout with twelve blocks of pews and seats corresponding to the respective Houses. The focal point of the chapel is the fine stone high altar and there are two pulpits, one each on the north and south sides of the chapel. The narthex or outer lobby of the chapel is also the school war memorial. In addition the names of all Old Tonbridgians who lost their lives in the first or second world wars are displayed in stone or ironwork. In September 1988 it was severely damaged by fire with almost all objects in the building being destroyed except a 15th century stone sculpture. Restoration took seven years to complete and the chapel was reconsecrated by the Bishop of Rochester in October 1995.
The school has produced a number of international rugby players throughout the history of rugby union. In 1871, in the first ever international rugby match, Tonbridge was represented by two players, J.E. Bentley and J.H. Luscombe. These players were also members of a team called the Gipsies Football Club, a London-based rugby football club for Old Tonbrigians founded in 1868. This club produced four other internationals including England captain Francis Luscombe, and was also one of the founding members of the Rugby Football Union.
Tonbridge alumni who have gone on to represent the England cricket team include Kenneth Hutchings, Colin Cowdrey, Roger Prideaux, Chris Cowdrey, Richard Ellison and Ed Smith. All six also played for Kent County Cricket Club and there is a long association between the school and Kent with a number of other Old Tonbridgians playing first-class cricket for the county side. Former Kent professionals who have coached the school cricket team include Alan Dixon, whom Richard Ellison credits for developing his swing bowling abilities, and John Knott.
The school has a fine musical tradition, with around half the boys having regular music lessons and over 80 achieving grade 7 or above. There are roughly 12 music scholarships awarded every year too. Tonbridge is also a "Steinway School". meaning over 90% of pianos are designed or built by Steinway & Sons.
The school chapel holds regular concerts for the various orchestras, including a large symphony orchestra for the most accomplished players, conducted by the director of music. The chapel is also home to an internationally respected 4-manual tracker action pipe organ with 67 speaking stops, built by Marcussen & Søn in 1995.
The head of school, i.e. the head Praeposter, is allowed to graze his sheep on the Head (the 1st XI cricket pitch) which is next to the main buildings. He is also allowed to grow a beard and historically was permitted to carry a sword. In the past only praepostors were allowed to wear coloured shirts (as opposed to plain white) and have brown shoes.
Former pupils are known at the school as Old Tonbridgians (OTs) and can join an organisation called the Old Tonbridgians' Society.
Anthony Henniker-Gotley (1887–1972) was a rugby union international who represented England from 1910 to 1911. He also captained that country.Austen Albu
Austen Harry Albu (21 September 1903 – 23 November 1994) was a British Labour Member of Parliament for Edmonton. He first won the seat at a by-election in 1948, and held it until his retirement at the February 1974 general election. From 1965 to 1967, he was the Minister of State for Economic Affairs. He later joined the Social Democratic Party.In 1958 he married the Anglo-Austrian social psychologist Marie Jahoda.
He was also a writer with some essays, the most edited being Socialism and the study of man.Charles Escreet
Charles Ernest Escreet (20 February 1852 - 3 March 1919) was an Anglican priest: the Archdeacon of Lewisham from 1906 to 1919.Charlie Parsons
Charles Andrew "Charlie" Parsons is a British television producer who created a number of notable television shows including Survivor. He also created The Big Breakfast and The Word. He first began to sell the idea of the Survivor series format in 1994, and the first version of it was the Swedish 1997 season.Chris Cowdrey
Christopher Stuart Cowdrey (born 20 October 1957) is a former English cricketer. Cowdrey played for Kent, Glamorgan and England as an all-rounder. He is the eldest son of the cricketer and life peer, Colin Cowdrey. He was educated at Tonbridge School.Chris Hollins
Christopher Jonathan Hollins (born 20 March 1971) is an English journalist, presenter and sportsman, currently employed by the BBC and best known for being the sports correspondent for BBC Breakfast until 2012, and for winning Strictly Come Dancing 2009.
Hollins presented the BBC consumer rights series Watchdog from 2010 until 2015.David Tomlinson
David Cecil MacAlister Tomlinson (7 May 1917 – 24 June 2000) was an English stage, film and television actor and comedian. Having been described as both a leading man and a character actor, he is primarily remembered for his roles as authority figure George Banks in Mary Poppins, fraudulent magician Professor Emelius Browne in Bedknobs and Broomsticks and as hapless antagonist Peter Thorndyke in The Love Bug. Tomlinson was posthumously inducted as a Disney Legend in 2002.Derek Barton
Sir Derek Harold Richard Barton (8 September 1918 – 16 March 1998) was an English organic chemist and Nobel Prize laureate for 1969.Ed Smith (cricketer)
Edward Thomas Smith (born 19 July 1977) is an English author and journalist, former professional cricketer, and cricket commentator.
Smith was born in Pembury, Kent. He attended Yardley Court, Tonbridge School and Cambridge University before playing First-class cricket for Kent, Middlesex and England.
Prematurely retiring from professional cricket due to injury in 2008, at the age of only 31, he became an author and journalist and in 2013 he joined the BBC's Test Match Special as a commentator for The Ashes series against Australia. He replaced James Whitaker as England's chief national cricket selector in 2018.Edmund Ironside, 2nd Baron Ironside
Edmund Oslac Ironside, 2nd Baron Ironside (born 21 September 1924) is a British hereditary peer, who sat in the House of Lords from 1959 to 1999. Prior to entering the Lords, he served in the Royal Navy and worked for Marconi.
Upon the death of his father, Field Marshal Lord Ironside, in 1959, he succeeded to the title.Francis Luscombe
Francis Luscombe (23 November 1849 – 17 July 1926) was a rugby union international who represented England from 1872 to 1876. He also captained his country.Frederick Ridgeway
Frederick Edward Ridgeway (1848 – 4 May 1921) was an Anglican bishop from 1901 until his death 20 years later.Frederick Edward Ridgeway was educated at Tonbridge School and Clare College, Cambridge. Ordained in 1872, he was incumbent of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Glasgow from 1878, and was additionally Dean of the Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway from 1888 until 1890. In 1890 he became Vicar of St Peter’s, Kensington until his ordination to the episcopate as the first suffragan Bishop of Kensington. From 1911 to 1921 he was Bishop of Salisbury.Geoffrey Warde
Geoffrey Hodgson Warde (23 August 1889 – 20 May 1972) was an Anglican bishop in the 20th century.He was educated at Tonbridge School and Keble College, Oxford. Ordained in 1915, he was a curate at St Pancras before wartime service as a Chaplain to the Forces, after which he was Priest in Charge at All Saints, Pimlico and then Vicar of St Mark's, Regent's Park. From 1922 to 1928 he was Deputy Priest-in-Ordinary to the King and then Dean of Gibraltar. Returning to England in 1933 he became Rural Dean of Grantham then Archdeacon of Carlisle before his last appointment as Bishop of Lewes. He retired in 1959.Hugh Glaisyer
Hugh Glaisyer (born 20 January 1930) was the Archdeacon of Lewes & Hastings from 1991 to 1997.Glaisyer was educated at Tonbridge School; Oriel College, Oxford; and St Stephen's House, Oxford. After National Service in the RAF he was ordained in 1956. After curacies in Bolton and Sidcup he held incumbencies in Gravesend and Hove. He was also a Canon of Chichester Cathedral from 1982 to 1991.Michael McCrum
Michael William McCrum CBE (23 May 1924 – 16 February 2005) was an English academic and ancient historian who served as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge, Master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and Head Master of Tonbridge School and Eton College.Richard Hughes (musician)
Richard David Hughes (born 8 September 1975, Gravesend, Kent) is an English musician, best known as the drummer of the British pop rock band Keane.Ronald Howard (British actor)
Ronald Howard (7 April 1918 – 19 December 1996) was an English actor and writer best known in the U.S. for starring in a weekly Sherlock Holmes television series in 1954. He was the son of actor Leslie Howard.Tristan Gemmill
Tristan John Gemmill (born 6 June 1967 in Kensington, London) is an English actor, most notable for his role as Dr Adam Trueman on Casualty. He was educated at Holmewood House School, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, up to the age of 13. He then won an Academic Scholarship to Tonbridge School.William Alexander (bishop)
William Alexander (13 April 1824 – 12 September 1911) was an Irish cleric in the Church of Ireland.
|Schools, colleges and universities|
|Sports, arts and leisure|