Tickhill is a town and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England, on the border with Nottinghamshire. It has a population of 5,301, reducing to 5,228 at the 2011 Census.
|Population||5,228 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
It lies eight miles south of Doncaster, between Maltby and Harworth, on the busy conjunction of the A631 and A60 roads, and adjacent to the A1(M) motorway. It is located at 53° 26' North, 1° 6' 40" West, at an elevation of around 20 metres above sea level. The River Torne passes close to the south-east of the town where it is the boundary between South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, eventually meeting the River Trent.
Notable buildings in Tickhill include the substantial ruins of Tickhill Castle which contain a private residence leased by the Duchy of Lancaster, St Mary's Church – a large 13th-century parish church, the parish room, an old hospital called St Leonard's, and the market cross.
"Tickhill" is an Old English place-name, meaning either "Hill where young goats are kept" or "Hill of man called Tica". It is composed of one of either ticce ("young goat") or the name Tica, and the word hyll. The village was not recorded in the Domesday Book but was recorded as Tikehill sometime in the 12th century.
Shortly after the Norman Invasion, William I of England gave the lands around Tickhill to Roger de Busli, who built a castle on a small hill. Richard de Busli, grandson of Roger's brother Arnold, co-founded nearby Roche Abbey with Richard FitzTurgis in 1147.
During the Middle Ages, Tickhill was the second most important town, after Doncaster, in what is now South Yorkshire. The Domesday Book lists the settlement under the former estate centre at Dadsley, now lying on the northern edge of the town. Dadsley was served by a church atop All Hallows Hill, which by 1361 had been downgraded to a chapel. Evidence suggests that the chapel was unused after the English Reformation, and was razed in the mid-17th century.
Tickhill's eponymous hill was probably the base of what is now the motte of Tickhill Castle. The town grew up around the castle, and St Mary's was built soon after to replace All Hallows as the settlement's main church.
Initially, Tickhill was one of England's most successful new towns. It gained a friary and St Leonard's Hospital. The Guild of St Cross was established in the town, and it is believed to have acted as the settlement's main governing body. In 1295, Tickhill sent two members to Parliament, but did not do so subsequently.
As castles declined in importance during the mediaeval period, so did Tickhill. By the 16th century, only a hall was occupied on the castle site, but the market and an annual fair on St Lawrence's Day survived. A little trade was gained from its position on the main road to Bawtry. In 1777, a butter cross was erected in the marketplace in an attempt to revive the weekly market, but this ceased in the 1790s.
Strafforth and Tickhill was one of the wapentakes of the West Riding of Yorkshire. The Tickhill Psalter, an outstanding medieval illuminated manuscript was made in the Worksop Priory Nottinghamshire, is currently on display in New York City. It is named after John de Tickhill, born locally and who was made Prior of Worksop in the 14th century.
The following records from St Mary's Church, Tickhill are available at the Doncaster Archives:
The Tickhill and Wadworth railway station was open from 1910–29. There has been much debate whether to reopen this station.
Tickhill Castle was built by Roger de Busli, one of the most powerful of the first wave of Norman magnates who had come to England with William the Conqueror. The castle had an eventful history in national life. It was held for the usurping prince John against his brother King Richard I, when the latter returned from abroad in 1194, after his absence on crusade, was the site of a three-week siege during baronial conflicts in 1322. In the civil war of the 1640s, its importance as a local centre of resistance led to its ‘slighting’ (intentional disabling) by Parliament after the defeat of the royalist forces there in 1648. (Conisbrough, long disused as a fortress by this time, escaped such a fate.)
Today, Tickhill castle remains an impressive ruin, retaining its Norman gatehouse, built in 1129–1130, the foundations of the 11-sided keep (one of only two in the world) on a mound 75 feet (23 m) high, built in 1178-9 on the model of the keep at Conisbrough, substantial defensive ditches, some parts of which remain as a moat, and walls enclosing an inner courtyard covering 2 acres (8,100 m2).
There are many traditional shops in Tickhill including 2 butchers, a fishmongers, and optician and a delicatessen.
There is also the millpond, now popular as a duckpond.
In 2002 a new public access wood was planted as a Queen's Jubilee project. 'Jubilee Wood' consists of 2002 native trees in 4 acres of land next to the River Torne, South of Tickhill (OS map reference SK 599917).
The 2015 Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect all members of Doncaster Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections. Due to boundary changes all 55 seats were up for election.
The election resulted in the Labour Party retaining control of the council, with a majority of 27 seats.A60 road
The A60 is a road linking Loughborough in Leicestershire, England, with Doncaster in South Yorkshire, via Nottingham.It takes the following route:
Carlton in Lindrick
DoncasterCastles in South Yorkshire
While there are many castles in South Yorkshire, the majority are manor houses and motte-and-bailey which were commonly found in England after the Norman Conquest.John Parker (Whig politician)
John Parker (21 October 1799 – 5 September 1881) was an English politician and barrister. He was born in Tickhill, South Yorkshire and educated at Repton and Brasenose College, Oxford. He was instrumental in the enfranchisement of Sheffield, petitioning Parliament in 1817 and 1822, and creating a pamphlet stating the case for Sheffield in 1830. When the Sheffield constituency was finally created as a Parliamentary borough in 1832 he was elected alongside James Silk Buckingham as its first MPs. He served as MP for Sheffield until 1852, becoming Lord of the Treasury (1839–1840), First Secretary of the Admiralty, joint Secretary to the Treasury (1846–1849), and a Member of the Privy council (1853).
He died at 71 Onslow Square, London, on 5 September 1881, and was buried at Healaugh, near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, on 9 September, having married, on 8 February 1853, Eliza Charlotte, second daughter of George Vernon of Clontarf Castle, Dublin, Ireland.Lindrick
Lindrick was an ancient district of England. The majority of the district appears to have lain in what is now South Yorkshire, but the village of Carlton-in-Lindrick is in Nottinghamshire.The name of the district is derived from the Old English for "raised, straight strip marked by lime trees".Lindrick seems to have reached as far as Lindrick Dale, Laughton Lindrick wood, which lay next to Roche Abbey, and the Lindrick area of Tickhill.List of monastic houses in South Yorkshire
The following is a list of monastic houses in South Yorkshire, England.
Alien houses are included, as are smaller establishments such as cells and notable monastic granges (particularly those with resident monks), and also camerae of the military orders of monks (Knights Templars and Knights Hospitaller). The numerous monastic hospitals per se are not included here unless at some time the foundation had, or was purported to have the status or function of an abbey, priory, friary or preceptor/commandery.
The name of the county is given where there is reference to an establishment in another county. Where the county has changed since the foundation's dissolution the modern county is given in parentheses, and in instances where the referenced foundation ceased to exist before the unification of England, the kingdom is given, followed by the modern county in parentheses.
== Abbreviations and key ==
Locations with names in italics indicate probable duplication (misidentification with another location) or non-existent foundations (either erroneous reference or proposed foundation never implemented) or ecclesiastical establishments with a monastic appellation but lacking monastic connection.
== Related articles ==Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster
The Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire in Yorkshire and the Humber Region of England.
In addition to the town of Doncaster, the borough covers the towns of Mexborough, Conisbrough, Thorne, Bawtry and Tickhill.
The borough was created on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the former county borough of Doncaster along with the urban districts of Adwick le Street, Bentley with Arksey, Conisbrough, Mexborough, Tickhill along with Doncaster Rural District and Thorne Rural District, the parish of Finningley from East Retford Rural District and small parts of the parish of Harworth from Worksop Rural District from Nottinghamshire.Nandika Ranjith
Paragodagamage Nandika Ranjith, born 6 December 1972 in Colombo, Sri Lanka, is a cricketer who has represented the Sri Lanka 'A' team. He has played for several first-class and List A cricket teams in Sri Lanka, particularly for Moors Sports Club.A left arm fast bowler, he took 69 wickets at 17.10 in 2002-03 to help Moors Sports Club win the Premier League Trophy.
In 2006 he played for Tickhill CC in the South Yorkshire League of England. In his first season at Tickhill he helped the club lift the Mick Savage Cup & reach the final of the Rotherham Evening League Cup.Spent most of 2008 playing in the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior league for Shotley Bridge CC.He helped them to finish 2nd in the league as well as winning the league cup with a 6 off the 5th ball of the last over.River Torne
The River Torne is a river in the north of England, which flows through the counties of South Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire. It rises at the Upper Lake at Sandbeck Hall, in Maltby in South Yorkshire, and empties into the River Trent at Keadby pumping station. Much of the channel is engineered, as it plays a significant role in the drainage of Hatfield Chase, which it crosses.
The first major change occurred around 1628, when the drainage engineer Cornelius Vermuyden cut a new channel for the river across the Isle of Axholme, and built a sluice at Althorpe where it entered the River Trent. Nearly 90 years of civil unrest followed, before the issues of flooding were finally resolved. Drainage of the land bordering the river was carried out in the 1760s and 1770s. A new sluice was built at Keadby, lower downstream on the Trent in the 1780s, but the Torne was not re-routed to it until much later. The sluice at Keadby became a pumping station in 1940, and the option to pump water into the Trent at all states of the tide led to the abandonment of the Althorpe outfall, and the routing of the Torne to Keadby.
There are a number of pumping stations along the course of the river. Tickhill pumping station was built in the 1970s, to handle water from the Middle Drain, which crosses an area affected by mining subsidence. It was managed on behalf of the Coal Board by Tickhill Internal Drainage Board (IDB), not part of Doncaster East IDB. There are Environment Agency pumping stations at Candy Farm and Tunnel Pits.Roger de Busli
Roger de Busli (c. 1038 – c. 1099) was a Norman baron who participated in the conquest of England in 1066.
Roger de Busli was born in or around 1038. His surname comes from the town now known as Bully (near Neufchâtel-en-Bray, mentioned as Buslei ar. 1060, Busli 12th century.) in Normandy, and he was likely born there. Busli was given lands in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and the Strafforth wapentake of Yorkshire. These had previously belonged to a variety of Anglo-Saxons, including Edwin, Earl of Mercia. and Rynold de Wynterwade, patriarch of the Wentworth family.
By the time of the Domesday survey de Busli was tenant-in-chief of 86 manors in Nottinghamshire, 46 in Yorkshire, and others in Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Leicestershire, plus one in Devon. They became the Honour of Blyth (later renamed the Honour of Tickhill), and within it, de Busli erected numerous castles, at Tickhill, Kimberworth, Laughton-en-le-Morthen and Mexborough.Much of the de Busli's family's leverage came from their familial relationships with the crown through the Counts of Eu. Roger de Busli's wife Muriel was in favour with the queen, to whom she was probably a lady-in-waiting or a kinswoman, evident in the queen's grant to de Busli of the manor of Sandford upon his marriage. The de Buslis had one son, also called Roger, who died as an infant, thus leaving no heirs. Beatrix, probably Roger's daughter (or possibly his sister), married William, Count of Eu.
De Busli died in the last years of the 11th century without an heir. His lands were given to Robert de Bellême, but de Bellême lost them in 1102 after he led a rebellion against Henry I. Ernulf de Busli, probably Roger's brother, may then have inherited some of the lands; these were then passed to his son Jordan and grandson Richard de Busli. Richard de Busli was co-founder of Roche Abbey, South Yorkshire with Richard FitzTurgis in 1147.
The male line of the de Busli family ran out in 1213, and the de Busli family holdings passed into the family of Vipont through the marriage of Idonea de Busli with Robert de Vipont (Vieuxpont).Sir Archibald White, 4th Baronet
Sir Archibald Woollaston White, 4th Bt. MFH (14 October 1877 – 16 December 1945) was the son of William Knight Hamilton White, the second son of Sir Thomas White, 2nd Baronet. He was born at Tickhill in Yorkshire, where he lived throughout his childhood. He succeeded to the baronetcy upon the death of his uncle (his father's elder brother), Sir Thomas Woollaston White, 3rd Bt. in 1907.Sir Thomas Wharton Academy
Sir Thomas Wharton Academy is a coeducational academy school and sixth form located in Edlington, Doncaster, England. It accepts pupils from the surrounding areas including Balby, Braithwell, Conisbrough, Edlington, Loversall, Micklebring, Tickhill, Wadworth, Warmsworth and Woodfield Plantation.
Its feeder schools are Warmsworth Primary, Edlington Hilltop, Edlington Victoria, Wadworth Primary, Tickhill Estfeld and Tickhill St Mary's.
Sir Thomas Wharton Academy operates a tutor group system. In the past groups contained pupils of all ages, but in 2009 new tutor groups were formed which included two to four members of each year group, including members of the Sixth Form. Form groups were then changed again at the start of the 2014 school year to include only students up to Year 11. Sixth Form students now have their own specialised form groups. Then in 2017, Form Groups were changed again for Year 11 students to have their own Form Groups.
The school operates a house system, introduced at the same time as mixed age tutor groups. All pupils and members of staff are separated into one of four houses. Each house has its own pastoral care team which deals with student issues. The four houses are named after country halls: Cusworth (Purple), Brodsworth (Green), Chatsworth (Yellow) and Wentworth (Red). Different coloured ties are used to identify to which house students belong.St Mary's Church, Tickhill
St Mary's Church is a Grade I listed church in Tickhill, South Yorkshire, England. Dating from the early 12th century and built with local Magnesian Limestone the structure today is predominantly of Perpendicular style with glimpses of earlier Norman, Early English and Decorated styles.Strafforth and Tickhill
Strafforth and Tickhill, originally known as Strafforth, was the southernmost wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The west of the district, plus a detached area in the east, constituted the Upper Division, while the central area and a detached part in the extreme east constituted the Lower Division.
Parishes in the Upper Division included Aston, Barnby Dun, Braithwell, Conisbrough, Dinnington, Ecclesfield, Firbeck, Handsworth, Harthill, Hatfield, Hooton Roberts, Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Maltby, Ravenfield, Rawmarsh, Rotherham, Sheffield, South Anston, Sprotborough, Thorpe Salvin, Thrybergh, Todwick, Treeton, Wales, Wath-upon-Dearne, Whiston, Wickersley and parts of Finningley.
The Lower Division included the parishes of Adwick-le-Street, Adwick-upon-Dearne, Arksey, Armthorpe, Bolton-upon-Dearne, Brodsworth, Darfield, Doncaster, Fishlake, High Melton, Hooton Pagnell, Kirk Sandal, Mexborough, Rossington, Thorne, Thurnscoe, Tickhill, Wadworth, Warmsworth, parts of Blyth, Nottinghamshire and the extra-parochial area of Hampole.
The original meeting place of the wapentake is unknown, but may have been the future site of Conisbrough Castle.The Earldom of Strafford takes its name from a variant of this district name, wherein the first incumbent Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford originated.Tickhill Castle
Tickhill Castle was a castle in Tickhill, on the Nottingham/Yorkshire West Riding border, England and a prominent stronghold during the reign of King John.Tickhill Friary
Tickhill Friary was an Augustinian friary in Tickhill, South Yorkshire, England. John Clarel, a canon of Southwell, founded it about 1260. It was dissolved in 1530. The remains are a Grade II* listed monument. The 14th century buildings were converted into dwellings in the 17th century, extensions followed in the 19th century. Until 1538, the Fitzwilliam tomb was located in the friary church, but was then moved into the parish church.Tickhill Psalter
The Tickhill Psalter is a 14th-century illuminated manuscript. It is beautifully illuminated with scenes from the life of King David. Created in the early 14th century, the manuscript was originally part of the library of the Worksop Priory in north Nottinghamshire. It is now kept in the New York Public Library. The name most likely derives from the fact that it was produced by prior John de Tickhill, who as his name would suggest came from the nearby South Yorkshire town of Tickhill.
Selected pages can be seen hereTickhill Road Hospital
The Tickhill Road Hospital is a small hospital at Tickhill Road in Doncaster, South Yorkshire. It is managed by the Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust.Tickhill and Wadworth railway station
Tickhill and Wadworth railway station, originally simply known as Tickhill, was located where the road linking the two villages in its name crossed the South Yorkshire Joint Railway. Being about halfway between it was intended that it should serve both Tickhill and Wadworth, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England.
The station, opened on 1 December 1910, had two flanking platforms and substantial buildings in the "Double Pavilion" style. The passenger service, between Doncaster and Shireoaks was operated jointly by the Great Central Railway and the Great Northern Railway for the first year when the G.N.R. left the arrangement.
The station was closed temporarily between April 1926 and April 1927 and finally on 8 July 1929, after a bacterial outbreak due to horse faeces. However the wooden signal box at the station's southern end was still extant in 1959, when it was photographed by H. B. Priestly.Only the station master's house and some remnants of the platform and the signal box's coal bunker still exist.