The Boston Post was a daily newspaper in New England for over a hundred years before it folded in 1956. The Post was founded in November 1831 by two prominent Boston businessmen, Charles G. Greene and William Beals.
Edwin Grozier bought the paper in 1891. Within two decades, he had built it into easily the largest paper in Boston and New England. Grozier passed the publication to his son, Richard, upon his death in 1924. Under the younger Grozier, The Boston Post grew into one of the largest newspapers in the country. At its height in the 1930s, it had a circulation of well over a million readers. At the same time, Richard Grozier suffered an emotional breakdown from the death of his wife in childbirth from which he never recovered.
When it ceased publishing in October 1956, its daily circulation was 255,000 and Sunday circulation approximately 260,000.
In 2017 some publishers are planning to start The Boston Post starting with www.thebostonpost.com, digital version.
The January 16, 1919 front page
of The Boston Post
|Owner(s)||Post Publishing Company|
|Headquarters||Milk Street, Boston, Massachusetts United States|
A weekly magazine was included in the Sunday paper. At first it was called The Sunday Magazine of The Boston Sunday Post and later The Boston Sunday Post Sunday Magazine.
In 1909, under the savvy ownership of Edwin Grozier, The Boston Post engaged in its most famous publicity stunt. The paper had 700 ornate, ebony-shafted, gold-capped canes made and contacted the selectmen in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island towns. The Boston Post Canes were given to the Selectmen with the request that the canes be presented in a ceremony to the town's oldest living man. The custom was expanded to include a community's oldest women in 1930. More than 500 towns in New England still carry on the Boston Post Cane tradition with the original canes they were awarded in 1909.