The Antioch Review is an American literary magazine established in 1941 at Antioch College in Ohio. The magazine is published on a quarterly basis. One of the oldest continuously published literary magazines in the United States, it publishes fiction, essays, and poetry from both emerging and established authors.
|The Antioch Review|
|Edited by||Robert S. Fogarty|
|1941 to present|
The Antioch Review was founded in 1940 by small group of Antioch College faculty who sought to establish a forum for the voice of liberalism in a world facing the forces of fascism and communism. The first publication was released in 1941. In its early years, it was edited by collective, among whom were Paul Bixler and George Geiger, and later Paul Rohmann.
The magazine continued to publish despite the 2008-2011 closing of Antioch College (which reopened in 2011).
While its pages have been populated by innumerous academics, The Antioch Review does not publish footnotes, thus their contributions have been largely non- (rather than anti-) academic and journalistic in nature. See Among the magazine's notable contributions, it published an article by Robert K. Merton in 1948 that introduced the world to the concept of the "self-fulfilling prophecy."