The Technical University of Berlin (official name German: Technische Universität Berlin, known as TU Berlin, which has no official english translation) is a research university located in Berlin, Germany. It was founded in 1879 and became one of the most prestigious education institutions in Europe.
The university is notable for having been the first to offer the now very popular course Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen (which the institute itself translates as Industrial Engineering and Management). The university had conceptualised the course as a response to demands by industrialists to offer a course that provides their offspring with the technical and management expertise to run a company. First offered in winter term 1926/27 it is the oldest and one of the most prestigious programmes of its kind.
TU Berlin has one of the highest proportions of international students in Germany, almost 20% were enrolled in 2016.
Northern front of the Königlich Technische Hochschule Charlottenburg (Royal Technical School Charlottenburg) in 1895.
In 1916 the long-standing Bergakademie Berlin, the Prussian mining academy created by the geologist Carl Abraham Gerhard in 1770 at the behest of King Frederick the Great, was assimilated into the TH Charlottenburg. Beforehand, the mining college had been, however, for several decades under the auspices of the Frederick William University (now Humboldt University of Berlin), before it was spun out again in 1860.
After Charlottenburg's absorption into Greater Berlin in 1920 and Germany being turned into Weimar Republic, the TH Charlottenburg was renamed "Technische Hochschule of Berlin" ("TH Berlin"). In 1927, the Department of Geodesy of the Agricultural College of Berlin was incorporated into the TH Berlin. During the 1930s, the redevelopment and expansion of the campus along the "East-West axis" were part of the Nazi plans of a Welthauptstadt Germania, including a new faculty of defense technology under General Karl Becker, built as a part of the greater academic town (Hochschulstadt) in the adjacent west-wise Grunewald forest. The shell construction remained unfinished after the outbreak of World War II and after Becker's suicide in 1940, it is today covered by the large-scale Teufelsberg dumping.
The north section of the main building of the university was destroyed during a bombing raid in November 1943. Due to the street fighting at the end of the Second World War, the operations at the TH Berlin were suspended as of April, 20th 1945. Planning for the re-opening of the school began on June, 2nd 1945, once the acting rectorship led by Gustav Ludwig Hertz and Max Volmer was appointed. As both Hertz and Volmer remained in exile in the Soviet Union for some time to come, the college was not re-inaugurated until April, 9th 1946, now bearing the name of "Technische Universität Berlin".
The TU Berlin covers 604,000 m², distributed over various locations in Berlin.
The main campus is located in the borough of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. The seven schools of the university have some 33,933 students enrolled in 90 subjects (October, 2015).
El Gouna campus:
Technische Universität Berlin has established a satellite campus in Egypt to act as a scientific and academic field office. The nonprofit public-private partnership (PPP) aims to offer services provided by Technische Universität Berlin at the campus in El Gouna on the Red Sea.
The university also has a franchise of its Global Production Engineering course - called Global Production Engineering and Management at the Vietnamese-German University in Ho Chi Minh City.
Telefunken-Highrise, the tallest building on campus.
Since 4 April 2005, the TU Berlin has consisted of the following faculties and institutes:
Eight-thousand four hundred fifty five people work at the university: 338 professors, 2,598 postgraduate researchers, and 2,131 personnel work in administration, the workshops, the library and the central facilities. In addition there are 2,651 student assistants and 126 trainees (2015).
Some of the former 17 libraries of Technische Universität Berlin and of the nearby University of the Arts were merged into the new library, but several departments still retain libraries of their own. In particular, the school of 'Economics and Management' maintains a library with 340,000 volumes in the university's main building (Die Bibliothek – Wirtschaft & Management/″The Library″ – Economics and Management) and the 'Department of Mathematics' maintains a library with 60,000 volumes in the Mathematics building (Mathematische Fachbibliothek/"Mathematics Library").
As of 2016, TU Berlin is ranked 164th overall and 35th in the field of Engineering & Technology according to the British QS World University Rankings. It is one of Germany's highest ranked universities in statistics and operations research and in Mathematics according to QS.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.