Taylor & Francis
Taylor & Francis Group is an international company originating in England that publishes books and academic journals. It is a division of Informa plc, a United Kingdom-based publisher and conference company.
|Taylor & Francis|
William Francis and Richard Taylor|
|Country of origin||
Milton Park, Abingdon-on-Thames, Oxfordshire United Kingdom|
Bookpoint (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia)|
self-distributed (the Americas)
Annie Callanan (CEO); Jeremy North (MD, Books); Christoph Chesher (Group Sales Director).|
Peer-reviewed books & journals|
Humanities, Social Science, Behavioural Science, Education, Law, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, Medicine|
Non-Fiction. Academic & Scholarly.|
Routledge (Humanities, Social science, Education & Law); Taylor & Francis, CRC Press & Garland Science (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)|
£530M in 2017
£490.4M in 2016
|No. of employees||
The company was founded in 1852 when William Francis joined Richard Taylor in his publishing business. Taylor initially founded his company in 1798. Their subjects covered include agriculture, chemistry, education, engineering, geography, law, mathematics, medicine, and social sciences.
From 1917 to 1930 Francis' son, Richard Taunton Francis (1883–1930) was sole partner in the firm.
In 1965 Taylor & Francis launched Wykeham Publications and began book publishing. In 1988 it acquired Hemisphere Publishing and the company was renamed Taylor & Francis Group to reflect the growing number of imprints. In 1990 Taylor & Francis exited from the printing business to concentrate on publishing. In 1998 Taylor & Francis Group went public on the London Stock Exchange and in the same year the group purchased its academic publishing rival Routledge for £90 million. Acquisitions of other publishers has remained a core part of the group’s business strategy. Taylor & Francis merged with Informa in 2004 to create a new company called T&F Informa, since renamed back to Informa. Following the merger, T&F closed the historic Routledge books office in New Fetter Lane, London and relocated to its current headquarters in Milton Park, Oxfordshire. Taylor & Francis Group is now the academic publishing arm of Informa and accounted for 30.2% of Group Revenue and 38.1% of Adjusted Profit in 2017.
Taylor & Francis publishes more than 2,700 journals, and approximately 7,000 new books each year, with a backlist of over 140,000 titles available in print and digital formats. It uses the Routledge imprint for its publishing in humanities, social sciences, behavioural sciences, law and education and the CRC Press imprint for its publishing in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. In 2017, T&F sold assets from its Garland Science imprint to W. W. Norton & Company and then ceased to use that brand.
Although generally considered the smallest of the 'Big Four' STEM publishers (Reed-Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Springer, and Taylor & Francis), its Routledge imprint is claimed to be the largest global academic publisher within humanities and social sciences. The company's journals have been delivered through the Taylor & Francis Online website since June 2011. Prior to that they were provided through the Informaworld website. Taylor & Francis ebooks are now available via the TaylorFrancis website. Taylor & Francis operates a number of Web services for its digital content including Routledge Handbooks Online, the Routledge Performance Archive, Secret Intelligence Files and Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Taylor & Francis offers Open Access publishing options in both its books and journals divisions and through its Cogent Open Access journals imprint.
Taylor & Francis is a member of several professional publishing bodies including the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, the International Association of Scientific, Technical, and Medical Publishers, the Association of Learned & Professional Society Publishers and The Publishers Association. In 2017, after collaborating together for several years, T&F purchased specialist digital resources company Colwiz.
The group has approximately 1,800 employees located in at least 18 offices worldwide. Its head office is based in Milton Park, Abingdon in the United Kingdom, with other offices in Stockholm, Leiden, New York, Boca Raton, Philadelphia, Kentucky, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, Melbourne, Sydney, Cape Town, Tokyo and New Delhi.
The old Taylor and Francis logo depicts a hand pouring oil into a lit lamp, along with the Latin phrase "alere flammam" - to feed the flame (of knowledge). The modern logo is a stylised oil lamp in a circle.
In 2013, the entire board of the Journal of Library Administration resigned in a dispute over author licensing agreements.
In 2013-2016, the toxicology journal owned by Taylor & Francis, Critical Reviews in Toxicology, published Monsanto-sponsored ghostwritten articles: Williams et al.(2016),Greim et al.(2015) and Kier & Kirkland (2013). Critical Reviews in Toxicology was accused of being a "broker of junk science" by the Center for Public Integrity.  According to Waldman et al., Taylor & Francis was already conducting an investigation into Monsanto’s misconduct with respect to the ghostwritten publications in Critical Reviews in Toxicology in 2017. Editor Roger McClellan is quoted: “These are serious accusations relative to scientific publishing canons and deserve very careful investigation…. I can assure you that Taylor & Francis, as the publisher, and I, as the Scientific Editor of Critical Reviews in Toxicology, will carefully investigate the matter and take appropriate action.”  As of 2018, no action has been taken by Taylor & Francis.
In 2017, Taylor & Francis was strongly criticized for getting rid of a public health journal editor-in-chief who accepted articles critical of corporate interests. The company replaced the editor with a corporate consultant without consulting the editorial board.
Taylor & Francis created what has been called "predatory journals" in a scheme to transfer rejected manuscripts from its other journals to the Cogent Series. Authors of rejected manuscripts are asked to submit their papers to a Cogent Series journal for a significant pay-to-publish transaction. The scheme, however, was exposed as having a sham peer review process when Cogent Social Sciences accepted a hoax article, "The conceptual penis as a social construct." When the authors announced the hoax, Taylor & Francis retracted the article. 
Acquired companies and discontinued imprints
- Category:Taylor & Francis academic journals
- ^ "Info: Orders - Routledge" (Text). Routledge.com. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- ^ "Informa Plc Trading Update 26th May 2017" (PDF). Informa.;
- ^ "Senior Management Team". Informa.
- ^ "Results for 12 Months to 31 December 2017" (PDF).
- ^ a b "Informa PLC Results for 12 Months to 31 December 2016" (PDF).
- ^ a b c "Informa: About Academic Publishing".
- ^ About Us Archived 2006-11-18 at the Wayback Machine., Taylor & Francis, UK.
- ^ Brock, W.H. & Meadows, A.J. (1998). The Lamp Of Learning: Taylor & Francis And Two Centuries Of Publishing. Taylor & Francis.
- ^ Biographical Index of Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783–2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0 902 198 84 X.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition Archived 2012-05-04 at WebCite - Taylor & Francis.
- ^ "T&F and Informa merge, books unit to move". 2 March 2004.
- ^ a b c d "Results for 12 months to 31 December 2017" (PDF). Informa. December 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Announces Imprint Changes". 11 March 2005.
- ^ "W.W. Norton & Company Inc. has acquired certain assets of Garland Science from Taylor & Francis Group." Broadwater & Associates. December 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- ^ Larivière, Vincent; Haustein, Stefanie; Mongeon, Philippe (2015-06-10). "The Oligopoly of Academic Publishers in the Digital Era". PLOS ONE. 10 (6): e0127502. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0127502. ISSN 1932-6203. PMC 4465327 . PMID 26061978.
- ^ "Outsell HSS Market Size Share Forecast" (PDF).
- ^ "Publishing With Us - Routledge". Taylor & Francis Group. 2016.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Online – FAQs" (PDF). Taylor & Francis Group. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 May 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- ^ "A world of knowledge and information. Browse our vast collection of over 90,000 eBooks in specialist subjects led by a global network of editors and authors". Taylor & Francis Group. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Routledge Handbooks Online". www.routledgehandbooks.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- ^ "Home". www.routledgeperformancearchive.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- ^ "Home Page - Secret Intelligence Files". www.secretintelligencefiles.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- ^ "Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism". Routledge. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- ^ "Routledge Books Open Access".
- ^ "Open Access".
- ^ "OASPA Members".
- ^ "STM Members".
- ^ "ALPSP Member Directory".
- ^ "PA Members and Affiliates". The Publishers Association. 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- ^ "Academic Digital Research Services start-up colwiz joins Taylor & Francis Group". Taylor & Francis Newsroom. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ a b "T&F buys reference-management tool colwiz". The Bookseller. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "Informa Office Locator: Company = Taylor & Francis".
- ^ Dupuis, John. "Journal of Library Administration editorial board resigns over author rights". ScienceBlogs. ScienceBlogs LLC. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- ^ "Brokers of junk science?". publicintegrity.org.
- ^ Peter Waldman, Tiffany Stecker, Joel Rosenblatt, “Monsanto Was Its Own Ghostwriter for Some Safety Reviews,” Bloomberg, August 9, 2017.
- ^ McCook, Alison. "Public health journal's editorial board tells publisher they have "grave concerns" over new editor". RetractionWatch. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- ^ "Retracted Article: The conceptual penis as a social construct". Cogent Social Sciences. 3 (1). 31 May 2017. doi:10.1080/23311886.2017.1336861.
- ^ a b " Swets & Zeitlinger sells Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers", 6 November 2003.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Acumen Publishing to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Welcome to the Criminology & Criminal Justice Textbook Catalog".
- ^ "Routledge Architecture".
- ^ "TRILLIUM PARTNERS EXTENDS ITS EDUCATIONAL AND ACADEMIC PUBLISHING M&A SECTOR EXPERIENCE" Archived 2014-02-20 at the Wayback Machine.,
- ^ a b "Informa Pays £20M for Ashgate Publishing".
- ^ "New Books from Auerbach Publications".
- ^ "Baywood Publishing is now a part of Routledge, an imprint of Taylor and Francis". routledge.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- ^ "Bellwether Publishing Journals Join Geography Market Leader Routledge/Taylor & Francis for 2013".
- ^ "Bibliomotion Acquired by Taylor & Francis". Publishers Weekly. 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- ^ "Bloomsbury Journals Join Routledge".
- ^ "Quayle Munro advises shareholders of Cavendish Publishing on sale to Informa". Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Expertise Legal Services". Fladgate LLP. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Informa in deal to buy Dove Medical Press".
- ^ "Donhead Publishing".
- ^ "Earthscan acquired by Taylor & Francis".
- ^ Mary H. Munroe (2004). "Taylor & Francis Timeline". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Archived from the original on October 2014 – via Northern Illinois University.
- ^ "Global Publishing Leaders 2013: Informa". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Taylor and Francis announce acquisition of Frank Cass & Co", 28 July 2003.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Group plc acquires Gordon and Breach Publishing Group", 14 February 2001.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes Ashgate".
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell advises the shareholders of Greengage Press on sale to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Greenleaf Publishing and GSE Research, based at Salts Mills in Saltaire, moving to Oxford after joining Informa Group". Bradford Telegraph & Argus. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell advises Taylor & Francis on its acquisition of Greenleaf Publishing". Bertoli Mitchell. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "Our History Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Thomas Webster leaves Hodder Education following sale of HE and Health Sciences lists". September 2, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- ^ "Holcomb Hathaway is now part of Routledge, an imprint of Taylor & Francis". routledge.com. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- ^ "Karnac Publishing transfers to Taylor & Francis". Bertoli Mitchell. September 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Aeon Books re-launches with new imprint". The Bookseller. January 2018. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Group LLC acquires Landes Bioscience". Taylor & Francis. June 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes Left Coast Press".
- ^ Joshua Farrington, "T&F buys Manson Publishing", The Bookseller, 10 April 2013.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis acquires Marcel Dekker", 20 November 2003.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes M. E. Sharpe". Archived from the original on 13 July 2015.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes Paradigm".
- ^ a b "Blog - Librarian Resources". Librarian Resources. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Pickering and Chatto to Taylor & Francis". bertolimitchell.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- ^ "Recent Transactions". Broadwater LLC. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Planners Press Is Now Part of Taylor & Francis Group". American Planning Association. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Productivity Press: About Us". productivitypress.com. 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- ^ Harry Ransom Center; University of Reading Library. "Firms Out of Business". Retrieved June 8, 2017 – via University of Texas at Austin.
Information about vanished publishing concerns, literary agencies, and similar firms
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Group Acquires Pyrczak Publishing". routledge.com. 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Radcliffe Healthcare to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "RFF Press".
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell advises Electric Word in the sale of Speechmark Publishing".
- ^ "Electric Word sells Speechmark Publis to Informa".
- ^ "St Jerome is now part of Routledge Books".
- ^ "Recent Transactions". Broadwater LLC. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "We are delighted to welcome Transaction Publishers into the Taylor & Francis Group". Routledge. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "We are delighted to welcome Westview Publishing into the Taylor & Francis Group".
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Willan Publishing to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Willan Publishing is Now Routledge".
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.