Tanahmerah Bay, or Tanah Merah Bay, (Indonesian: Teluk Tanahmerah, means: Red Soil Bay) is a bay on the north coast of New Guinea, in the Indonesian province of Papua, about 50 km northwest of the provincial capital of Jayapura (formerly Hollandia).
During World War II, the Hollandia area was a Japanese army and air force base. On 22 April 1944, two regiments of the 24th Infantry Division landed in Tanamerah Bay, as part of the Operation Reckless. Subsequently, the area became an Allied base, supporting further actions in the Southwest Pacific, and the invasion of the Philippines.
The 19th Infantry Regiment ("Rock of Chickamauga") is a United States Army infantry regiment which is assigned to the US Army Training and Doctrine Command, with the assignment of conducting Basic and Advanced Infantry Training.Asiatic–Pacific Campaign Medal
The Asiatic–Pacific Campaign Medal is a United States military award of the Second World War, which was awarded to any member of the United States Armed Forces who served in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater from 1941 to 1945. The medal was created on November 6, 1942 by Executive Order 9265 issued by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The medal was designed by Thomas Hudson Jones; the reverse side was designed by Adolph Alexander Weinman which is the same design as used on the reverse of the American Campaign Medal and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.
There were 21 Army and 48 Navy-Marine Corps official campaigns of the Pacific Theater, denoted on the suspension and service ribbon of the medal by service stars which also were called "battle stars"; some Navy construction battalion units issued the medal with Arabic numerals. The Arrowhead device is authorized for those campaigns which involved participation in amphibious assault landings. The Fleet Marine Force Combat Operation Insignia is also authorized for wear on the medal for Navy service members who participated in combat while assigned to a Marine Corps unit. The flag colors of the United States and Japan are visible in the ribbon.
The Asiatic–Pacific Campaign Medal was first issued as a service ribbon in 1942. A full medal was authorized in 1947, the first of which was presented to General of the Army Douglas MacArthur. The European Theater equivalent of the medal was known as the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.
Boundaries of Asiatic-Pacific Theater.
(1) The eastern boundary is coincident with the western boundary of the American Theater.
(2) The western boundary is from the North Pole south along the 60th meridian east longitude to its intersection with the east boundary of Iran, then south along the Iran boundary to the Gulf of Oman and the intersection of the 60th meridian east longitude, then south along the 60th meridian east longitude to the South Pole.Battle of Hollandia
The Battle of Hollandia (code-named Operation Reckless) was an engagement between American and Japanese forces during World War II. It took place in spring of 1944 and was part of the New Guinea campaign.
The time it took place was a very tumultuous time so it was very difficult for the Allies to invade. They needed to recover from great losses in previous battles. As a result, the Allies were not able to send in as many troops as they would have liked. The landings were undertaken simultaneously with the amphibious landings at Aitape ("Operation Persecution") to the east. The battle was an unqualified success for the US forces, resulting in a withdrawal by the Japanese to a new strategic defence line in the west of New Guinea and the abandonment of all positions in the east of the island.Port of Depapre
Port of Depapre is an under-construction container and bulk cargo seaport in Jayapura Regency, Papua, Indonesia. The port located in Tanahmerah Bay, directly facing the Pacific Ocean in the north. The port is being planned to replace the old Port of Jayapura, located 30 km to the east. The port is also located about 27 km west of Sentani, the regencial capital of Jayapura Regency, and 60 km west of Jayapura, the provincial capital of Papua.Tabla language
Tabla (one of two Papuan languages also known as Tanah Merah) is spoken on the coast of Tanahmerah Bay, close to Jayapura, in northern Papua (Indonesia). It is spoken in Bukia, Depapre, and Wari towns, and 13 villages on north coast.Tanah Merah
Tanah Merah (literally "Red Land or Red Soil" in Malay) may refer to a variety of places:
Tanah Merah District, a district in the state of Kelantan, Malaysia
Tanah Merah, Singapore, a region located in eastern Singapore
Tanah Merah, Queensland, Australia
Tanahmerah, Papua, Indonesia
Tanahmerah Bay, Papua, IndonesiaTanah Merah may also designate two languages:
Tanah Merah or Sumeri language (Trans–New Guinea phylum)
Tanah Merah or Tabla language (Sentani group)Tanahmerah
Tanah Merah (or Tanamerah) is a town in the Papua province of Indonesia (not to be confused with Tanahmerah Bay) some two hundred miles the Digul river from Merauke within the interior of Western New Guinea (a town not occupied by the Japanese during WWII). The town acted as a Dutch penal colony during the period when Indonesia was a Dutch colony.Under Indische Staatsregeling Article # 37 "those who can be considered by the Government to disturb or have disturbed the public peace and order will be without any legal proceedings exiled for an indefinite period to a specially appointed place" were sent to Tanahmerah. Dr Sutan Sjahrir, first prime minister of the Indonesian Republic, described the political prisoners thus exiled as being in "profound spiritual misery" and "permanently broken in spirit".In 1942, the "Netherlands East Indies Government-in-Exile" (in Australia), fearing partisan armies, which would prejudice postwar reimposition of Dutch colonial rule in the Indies, organised for the prisoners to be brought to Australia, to be interned as prisoners of war. This did not fit entirely well with the host country, and on 7 December 1943, the Tanah Merah prisoners were freed from their Australian prison camps.Lockwood (1975) considers the evacuation of these prisoners to Australia (and their subsequent freedom within Australia) to be a vital catalyst in the launching of the boycott on Dutch shipping (the Black Armada) at the end of the second world war, and in the subsequent creation of the Republic of Indonesia.
There is an airport ICAO: WAKT.USS Arayat (IX-134)
The USS Arayat (IX-134) was a petroleum tanker built in 1918 at Glasgow, Scotland, by Fairfield Shipbuilding, as SS Faireno. She was acquired by the United States Navy from the War Shipping Administration on 13 April 1944 at Brisbane, Australia, and commissioned there on 18 April 1944 with Lieutenant M. Himelfarb in command.
On 28 April, she was put to sea bound for the coast of New Guinea. She arrived at Milne Bay on 5 May where she began service as a station tanker dispensing fuel oil to units of the 7th Fleet. She remained at that port until early March 1945. On the 5th of that month, the tanker got underway for Hollandia, New Guinea, arrived in Humboldt Bay on the 13th, and began duty as station tanker there. While at Hollandia, she made periodic runs to Tanahmerah Bay to replenish her oil supply, but spent most of her time at her base refueling American warships through the end of the war and into the autumn.
Late in October 1945, she moved to Seeadler Harbor at Manus Island in the Admiralties for repairs. On 6 November, she got underway for Pearl Harbor. Arayat stopped over at Pearl Harbor from 27 November to 4 December before continuing her voyage to the United States. She transited the Panama Canal on 3 January 1946 and arrived at Mobile, Alabama, on the 14th. Arayat was decommissioned on 15 February 1946 and was delivered to the War Shipping Administration that same day for disposal. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946.USS Carter Hall (LSD-3)
USS Carter Hall (LSD-3) was an Ashland-class dock landing ship in the United States Navy, named in honor of Carter Hall, the Millwood, Virginia estate of Lt. Col. Nathaniel Burwell (1750–1814).
Carter Hall was launched on 4 March 1943 by Moore Dry Dock Company, Oakland, California, sponsored by Mrs. T. Wilson; and commissioned on 18 September 1943, Lieutenant Commander F. J. Harris, USNR, in command.USS Ganymede (AK-104)
USS Ganymede (AK-104) was an Crater-class cargo ship commissioned by the US Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone. Named after the largest of the moons of Jupiter, Ganymede was the only ship of the Navy to bear this name.USS Gatling
USS Gatling (DD-671) was a Fletcher-class destroyer of the United States Navy, named after Richard Jordan Gatling, the inventor of the Gatling gun.
Gatling was laid down 3 March 1943 by the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Kearny, New Jersey; launched 20 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John W. Gatling, wife of the inventor's grandson; and commissioned 19 August 1943 at New York Navy Yard, Lieutenant Commander Alvin H. Richardson in command.USS Grayson (DD-435)
USS Grayson (DD-435), a Gleaves-class destroyer, is the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for Rear Admiral Cary Travers Grayson, who served as personal physician and aide to President Woodrow Wilson during World War I. He also served as chairman of the American Red Cross from 1935 until his death 15 February 1938.
Grayson was laid down on 17 July 1939 by the Charleston Navy Yard, South Carolina and launched on 7 August 1940; sponsored by Mrs. Alice Gertrude Gordon Grayson Harrison (Mrs. George Leslie Harrison), widow of Rear Admiral Grayson. The ship was commissioned on 14 February 1941, Lieutenant Commander Thomas M. Stokes in command.USS Healy (DD-672)
USS Healy (DD-672) was a Fletcher-class destroyer of the United States Navy, named for Commander Howard R. Healy (1899–1942) who had distinguished himself on board Lexington during the Battle of the Coral Sea.
Healy was launched by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N.J., on 4 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Howard R. Healy, widow of the namesake; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard on 3 September 1943, Commander J. C. Atkeson in command.USS Hughes (DD-410)
USS Hughes (DD-410) was a World War II-era Sims-class destroyer in the service of the United States Navy, named after Commander Edward Merritt Hughes.
Hughes was laid down on 15 September 1937 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; launched on 17 June 1939; sponsored by Mrs. Edward M. Hughes, widow of Commander Hughes; and commissioned at Boston Navy Yard, on 21 September 1939, Lieutenant Commander Donald J. Ramsey in command.USS Kalk (DD-611)
USS Kalk (DD-611) was a Benson-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. She was the second ship named for Lieutenant Stanton Frederick Kalk.
Kalk was laid down 30 June 1941 by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation, San Francisco, California; launched 18 July 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Flora Stanton Kalk, mother of Lieutenant Kalk; and commissioned 17 October, Lieutenant Commander C. T. Singleton, Jr., in command.USS LST-26
USS LST-26 was a United States Navy LST-1-class tank landing ship used in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater during World War II and manned by a United States Coast Guard crew. Like many of her class, she was not named and is properly referred to by her hull designation.USS LST-456
USS LST-456 was a United States Navy LST-1-class tank landing ship used in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater during World War II.USS Neuendorf (DE-200)
USS Neuendorf (DE-200), a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Seaman First Class William Frederick Neuendorf (1916–1941), who was killed in action aboard the battleship USS Nevada, as gun captain of No. 6 A.A. gun, gave an example of leadership, skill, and bravery that is remarked upon by all who observed it during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. He was commended posthumously "for distinguished devotion to duty and extraordinary courage and disregard for his own safety[,]" and was the most junior sailor mentioned specifically for distinguished conduct in the after action report of USS Nevada regarding the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Neuendorf was laid down at the Charleston Navy Yard on 15 February 1943. The ship was launched on 1 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Edna Rose Morton, the sister of W. F. Neuendorf, Jr., SN1. The destroyer escort was commissioned on 18 October 1943, Lieutenant Commander Jasper N. McDonald in command.USS Spence (DD-512)
USS Spence (DD-512), a Fletcher class destroyer, was laid down on 18 May 1942 by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; launched on 27 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Eben Learned; and commissioned on 8 January 1943, Lieutenant Commander H. J. Armstrong in command. The ship was named for Robert T. Spence, superintendent of the construction of USS Ontario (1813), and captain of USS Cyane (1815).
Spence conducted her shakedown cruise out of Guantanamo Bay from 8 to 28 February. She then served as an escort in the Atlantic and Caribbean and had convoy duty in the Casablanca area in April. She was routed to the west coast and, on 25 July, got underway from San Francisco for Pearl Harbor, to serve in the Pacific against the Japanese in World War II.