Stoneham /ˈstoʊnəm/ is a town in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, nine miles north of downtown Boston. Its population was 21,437 at the 2010 census, and its proximity to major highways and public transportation offer convenient access to Boston and the North Shore coastal region and beaches of Massachusetts. The town is the birthplace of Olympic figure-skating medalist Nancy Kerrigan and is the home of the Stone Zoo.
Welcome to Stoneham, Massachusetts
Location in Middlesex County in Massachusetts
|• Type||Open town meeting|
|• Total||6.7 sq mi (17.4 km2)|
|• Land||6.2 sq mi (15.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||155 ft (47 m)|
|• Density||3,200/sq mi (1,200/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||339 / 781|
|GNIS feature ID||0618235|
The earliest documented mention of the territory now called Stoneham dates to the year 1632 when, on February 7, Governor Winthrop and his party came upon this area. They found Spot Pond and ate their lunch on a place they called Cheese Rock, now known as Bear Hill. Stoneham is situated on the traditional territory of the Wampanoag people.
Stoneham was first settled by colonists in 1634 and was originally a part of Charlestown. The original colonists in the area were Whigs. In 1678, there were six colonists with their families, all in the northeast part of the town, probably because of its proximity to the settlement in Reading (now Wakefield).
By 1725, the population of the area, called "Charlestown End", had increased until there were sixty-five male inhabitants paying taxes; however, they were miles away from the settlement in Charlestown and could not conveniently reach its church or school. For this reason, Captain Benjamin Geary and fifty-three other residents of the area petitioned Charlestown to allow them to be separated. The town refused their petition at first, but on December 17, 1725, the General Court passed an act to establish the new township of Stoneham, separating it from Charlestown, and releasing its residents from the obligation to pay taxes to Charlestown, provided that within two years they would erect a suitable church and hire a minister and a schoolmaster.
The town's first meeting-house was erected in 1726, and the first church was organized in 1729, with members being released from the congregations in Reading and Melrose to form it. In that same year, the town voted to raise ₤9 for the building of a school, and chose a committee to hire a schoolmaster. Stoneham remained a small town during the colonial era; traces of its colonial history are still to be seen in the Spot Pond Archeological District of the Middlesex Fells Reservation. During the Industrial Revolution, Stoneham prospered as a major shoe-manufacturing center.
Stoneham is part of the Massachusetts's 5th congressional district and is represented by Katherine Clark. The United States Senators are Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren. Part of the 31st Middlesex District, Mike Day represents the district in the Massachusetts House of Representatives. He replaced Jason Lewis who now represents Stoneham in the Massachusetts Senate for the 5th Middlesex Senate district.
Stoneham is located at (42.480145, −71.098352).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.7 square miles (17.4 km²), of which 6.2 square miles (15.9 km²) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.5 km²), or 8.36%, is water.
|* = population estimate. |
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,219 people, 9,050 households, and 5,873 families residing in the town. The population density was 3,614.1 people per square mile (1,394.9/km²). There were 9,289 housing units at an average density of 1,510.9 per square mile (583.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.01% White, 2.61% Asian, 0.89% Black or African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.59% from other races, and 0.90% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.79% of the population.
There were 9,050 households out of which 26.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.1% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.1% were non-families. 30.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the town, the population was spread out with 21.0% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 18.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $56,605, and the median income for a family was $71,334. Males had a median income of $46,797 versus $37,274 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,599. About 3.0% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.7% of those under age 18 and 5.5% of those age 65 or over.
Stoneham is inside the Route 128 belt that delineates the core of metropolitan Boston. Public transportation is available in or near Stoneham. The Oak Grove subway station is 3.8 miles (6.1 km) from Stoneham Center, in Malden, and is the northern terminus of the MBTA's Orange Line. Several commuter rail stations are in bordering communities of Melrose, Winchester, Wakefield, Reading, Medford, Woburn and Malden, each providing transportation to Boston's North Station. The MBTA's 132 bus route travels through Stoneham Center, offering transportation to the Orange Line at Oak Grove and Malden Station. And the MBTA's 325 Express Bus to downtown Boston offers limited service. Interstate 93 passes through Stoneham, and Route 128/Interstate 95 passes just to the north of the town.
Stoneham is the home of a public high school (Stoneham High School) and one public middle school (Stoneham Central Middle School). There are also three public elementary schools (Colonial Park School, Robin Hood School, and South School) in the town.
The private Seventh-day Adventist school Greater Boston Academy offers programs for pre-K to grade 8, and Saint Patrick School, a Catholic school, conducts programs from pre-K level to grade 8.
Stoneham is served by Boston television and radio stations, the Boston Herald, the Boston Globe and the Stoneham Independent newspaper. In addition, Stoneham has a community access television station, StonehamTV, which broadcasts locally produced content on Comcast, Verizon and RCN cable systems.
The Almshouse is a historic almshouse at 136 Elm Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Built in 1852, it is one of the few surviving buildings of this type in the Greater Boston area. It is now part of the Stoneham Senior Center, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Bernard Cogan House
The Bernard Cogan House is a historic house at 10 Flint Avenue in Stoneham, Massachusetts, United States. Built about 1885, it is a good local example of Queen Anne style architecture in the United States. It was built for Bernard Cogan, the son of a local shoe factory owner. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Elisha Knight Homestead
The Elisha Knight (formerly erroneously Wright) Homestead is a historic house at 170 Franklin Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Built c. 1750, it is the only property of that period in Stoneham that retains a rural setting. The two-story wood-frame house has relatively modest decorations; its decorated entry hood dates to a c. 1870 renovation that probably also removed a central chimney, replacing it with one at the east end.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 as the "Elisha Wright Homestead"; a name correction to "Elisha Knight Homestead" was recorded by the state in 2011.First Baptist Church (Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The First Baptist Church is a historic church building at 457 Main Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts, housing an evangelical congregation. The church was built in 1892 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. It is one central Stoneham's three 19th-century churches, and is a fine local example of Queen Anne architecture.First Congregational Church (Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The First Congregational Church is an historic church located at 1 Church Street (corner of Main Street) in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Built in 1840, it is a fine local example of Greek Revival architecture, and is a landmark in the town center. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1984. The church is affiliated with the United Church of Christ; the current pastor is the Rev. Meredith Allen.Franklin B. Jenkins House (Chestnut Street, Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The Franklin B. Jenkins House is a historic house at 37 Chestnut Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Built c. 1895, it is one of Stoneham's finest Queen Anne Victorian houses. The 2.5 story wood frame house has an L shape, with a distinctive octagonal turret section at the crook of the L. A porch with turned posts and balusters wraps around the front and side to the turret section.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, where it is listed at 35 Chestnut Street. It was also included in the Nobility Hill Historic District in 1990.Franklin B. Jenkins House (Middle Street, Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The Franklin B. Jenkins House is a historic house at 9 Middle Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, at which time its address was listed as 2 Middle Street. At that time it was noted for its Greek Revival features, including corner pilasters and a front portico which includes pilasters and sidelights flanking the door. Subsequent residing of the house has obscured or eliminated most of these details (see photo).
The house was built for Franklin B. Jenkins, partner in the shoe manufacturer Jenkins and Vinton. He later built a more elaborate house (also National Register-listed) on Chestnut Street.House at 107 William Street
The House at 107 William Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts, is a well-preserved early Greek Revival cottage. Built in the 1820s, it is a 1-1/2 story wood frame house, five bays wide, with a side gable roof, clapboard siding, and a granite foundation. It has a projecting central entry and an ell on its east side, set on a brick foundation. The ell has a second entry, indicating it may have been used as a shop. The main entry has sidelights, and both entries have a narrow transom. It is one of a small number of surviving buildings of a larger cluster that once stood near the junction of William and Main Streets.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.James Cogan House
The James Cogan House is a historic house at 48 Elm Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. It was built about 1890 for James Cogan, son of a prominent local shoe manufacturer, and is a prominent local example of Queen Anne architecture. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.John Jones House (Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The John Jones House is a historic house at 1 Winthrop Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Built in 1874, it is a well-preserved example of a house with classic, yet modest, Italianate features. The two-story wood-frame structure is finished in clapboards, with a side-gable roof and twin interior chimneys. It has a three bay front facade, with bay windows flanking a center entry that is sheltered by a porch connected to the bay roofs. John Jones, the first owner, was a shoemaker.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.John Steele House (Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The John Steele House is a historic house at 2–4 Montvale Avenue in Stoneham, Massachusetts. It is one of a few surviving 19th-century double houses in Stoneham. Built c. 1880–1885, It is a 6-bay two-story wood-frame house, with a side-gable roof, chimneys at the ends, and twin doors in the central bays under a shared bracketed hood. It is one of a series of identical rowhouses that were owned by John Steele, a major landowner in the town during that period.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Micah Williams House
The Micah Williams House is a historic house at 342 William Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. The 1-1/2 story Greek Revival cottage was built c. 1830 by Micah Williams. Unlike many Greek Revival buildings, which have the gable end facing the street, this one has the front on the roof side, a more traditional colonial orientation. Its facade is five bays wide, with a center entrance sheltered by a hip-roof portico with square columns. The house was built by Williams (who lived across the street) for his daughter.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Mike Day (politician)
Michael Seamus Day is a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives, sworn in January 2015. An attorney from Stoneham, Massachusetts, Day was elected as a Democrat to represent the 31st Middlesex district.National Register of Historic Places listings in Stoneham, Massachusetts
This is a list of properties and historic districts in Stoneham, Massachusetts, that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The locations of National Register properties and districts (at least for all showing latitude and longitude coordinates below) may be seen in an online map by clicking on "Map of all coordinates".
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted June 7, 2019.Old Burying Ground (Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The Old Burying Ground is a historic cemetery on Pleasant and William Streets in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Established in 1726, it is the only surviving element of Stoneham's original town center, which also included a meeting house and school. It contains about 150 stones, with grave markers dating from 1728 to 1850. The stones were carved with motifs that were fairly typical of the period including urns, willows, cherubs, and winged death heads.The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Silas Dean House
The Silas Dean House is a historic house at 8 Pine Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. Built c. 1840, it is a stylistically rare form of a Greek Revival cottage. The front of the house is a front porch sheltered by the slope of the roof, rather than a more traditional gable-end orientation.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Period detailing present on the porch at the time of its listing, including turned posts and a bracketed frieze, has been lost by subsequent alterations (see photo).South School (Stoneham, Massachusetts)
The South School is a historic school building at 9–11 Gerry Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. It is the best preserved 19th century schoolhouse in Stoneham. The two-story wood-frame building housed two classrooms on each of its two floors, and was built c. 1857–58, at a time when many schoolhouses in the state were typically single story buildings with one or two classrooms. The building saw academic use well into the 20th century before being converted to other uses. It has retained its basic form, as well exterior Italianate features.The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. It presently houses community social services agencies.T.U. Lyon House
The T.U. Lyon House is a historic house at 9 Warren Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. The modest 1.5 story Greek Revival house was built c. 1850 for T.U. Lyon, a shoe cutter. At the time of its construction Warren Street had been supplanted as the major north-south road through Stoneham by the Medford-Andover Turnpike (now Main Street, Massachusetts Route 28). Most of its distinctive Greek Revival features, including corner pilasters and a larger-than-typical frieze, have been lost due to recent residing of the exterior (see photo).
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.William Griffin Fuller House
The William Griffin Fuller House is a historic house at 32 Franklin Street in Stoneham, Massachusetts. The two-story wood-frame house was built c. 1850 for William Griffin Fuller, a real estate developer and trustee of the Stoneham Five Cent Savings Bank. Its features are transitional, including both Greek Revival and Italianate details. The five-bay facade and single-story porch are Greek Revival, and the bracketing in the eaves and gable ends is Italianate in style.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
|Natl. Hist. Places (Houses)|
|Natl. Hist. Places (Buildings)|
Municipalities and communities of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|