A stone row (or stone alignment), is a linear arrangement of upright, parallel megalithic standing stones set at intervals along a common axis or series of axes, usually dating from the later Neolithic or Bronze Age. Rows may be individual or grouped, and three or more stones aligned can constitute a stone row.
Stone rows can be few metres or several kilometres in length and made from stones that can be as tall as 2m, although 1m high stones are more common. The terminals of many rows have the largest stones and other megalithic features are sometimes sited at the ends, especially burial cairns. The stones are placed at intervals and may vary in height along the sequence, to provide a graduated appearance, though it is not known whether this was done deliberately. Stone rows were erected by the later Neolithic and Bronze Age peoples in the British Isles, parts of Scandinavia and northern France.
The most famous example is the Carnac stones, a complex of stone rows in Brittany. There are a number of examples on Dartmoor including the row at Stalldown Barrow and three rows at Drizzlecombe and the Hill O Many Stanes in Caithness. In Britain they are exclusively found in isolated moorland areas. The term alignment is sometimes taken to imply that the rows were placed purposely in relation to other factors such as other monuments or topographical or astronomical features. Archaeologists treat stone rows as discrete features however and alignment refers to the stones being lined up with one another rather than anything else. Their purpose is thought to be religious or ceremonial perhaps marking a processual route. Another theory is that each generation would erect a new stone to contribute to a sequence that demonstrated a people's continual presence.
Aughlish (also Auglish) is a townland and the site of at least six stone circles and two stone rows, in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 3.6 km from Feeny.Brisworthy stone circle
Brisworthy stone circle (grid reference SX564654) is a stone circle on Dartmoor, Devon. It is located three miles east of the A386, northeast of the village of Shaugh Prior. It is three hundred metres from Ringmoor stone row and cairn circle, and is one of the archaeological sites found in the Upper Plym Valley.Cal Shaw Adobe Duplex
The Cal Shaw Adobe Duplex is an adobe house located at 129 Central Street in Tonopah, Nevada. The house, which was built in 1905, is typical of the adobe homes commonly built in Tonopah in the early 1900s. The building's exterior is scored to resemble stone; the home's design also features a decorative frieze and a porch supported by turned columns. The home has changed little since its construction and has been called "the best preserved adobe residence in Tonopah" by a local historic survey.The homes on Central Street formed one of Tonopah's first residential districts. Houses on the street were built using a variety of construction types and designs. For instance, the Cal Shaw Stone Row House, located next to the Adobe Duplex, is another historic house built with a different material and design.The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1982.Cal Shaw Stone Row House
The Cal Shaw Stone Row House is a stone row house located on Central Street in Tonopah, Nevada, United States. Property owner Cal Shaw built the house in 1906 next to the Cal Shaw Adobe Duplex, which was built the previous year. While the house was built with stone instead of adobe, it features a similar design to the adobe house, particularly in its projecting roof and porch supported by columns. The house and its neighbor reflect the variety of homes built on Central Street, one of the earliest residential areas in Tonopah. In addition, the house's detailed and well-preserved design led a local historic survey to call it "one of the best preserved examples of stone residential construction in Tonopah".The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1982.Carrigagulla
Carrigagulla is a megalithic complex 2.9 km north-east of Ballinagree, County Cork, Ireland.It consists of two recumbent stone circles, two stone rows, and an ogham stone which has been moved around a half mile away.
The main site is an axial stone circle, 8.2m in diameter, comprising 16 stones, with one misplaced. Their height varies from 30 cm to 90 cm. The long, straight-edged axial stone is not the lowest, and the highest is next to the lower of the two portal stones. A boulder is situated in the center of the circle. About 250m north, near the River Laney, is another stone circle: of five stones in a D-shape, with an axial stone with a naturally bevelled upper surface.Charles Clinton Stone Row House
The Charles Clinton Stone Row House is a stone row house located at 151 Central Street in Tonopah, Nevada, United States. Charles Clinton built the house in 1905 to use as a boarding house. The building's plan, designed to fit a thin plot of land, features a series of rooms connected by an inside corridor. The house was built in ashlar stone and is topped by a hipped roof. After its use as a boarding house, the building served as a hospital.The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1982.Corick
Corick (from Irish Comhrac, meaning 'confluence') is a megalithic site and townland in the civil parish of Ballynascreen, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It includes a stone circle and a stone row. The Corick stone circles and alignments are located 2 km north east of Ballybriest court-tomb, 400 metres south of Corick clachan, near a stream. There are some 5 circles (one with a large standing-stone in the middle) and 3 stone-rows. The stone alignments and circle are Scheduled Historic Monuments in Corick at grid reference: Area of H780 896.Craddock Moor stone circle
Craddock Moor Stone Circle or Craddock Moor Circle is a stone circle located near Minions on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, UK. It is situated around half a mile Northwest of The Hurlers (stone circles).Dartmoor
Dartmoor is an upland area in southern Devon, England. Protected by National Park status as Dartmoor National Park, it covers 954 km2 (368 sq mi).The granite which forms the uplands dates from the Carboniferous Period of geological history. The landscape consists of moorland capped with many exposed granite hilltops known as tors, providing habitats for Dartmoor wildlife. The highest point is High Willhays, 621 m (2,037 ft) above sea level. The entire area is rich in antiquities and archaeology.
Dartmoor is managed by the Dartmoor National Park Authority, whose 22 members are drawn from Devon County Council, local district councils and Government.
Parts of Dartmoor have been used as military firing ranges for over 200 years. The public is granted extensive land access rights on Dartmoor (including restricted access to the firing ranges) and it is a popular tourist destination.Finn McCools Fingers
Finn McCools Fingers (or "Shantemon Stone Row") are a set of five standing stones on Shantemon mountain in County Cavan. The name is derived from the story that giant Celtic warrior Fionn mac Cumhaill lost a hand in battle. The stones are arranged in a south-east/north-west orientation.Jim Butler Mining Company Stone Row Houses
The Jim Butler Mining Company Stone Row Houses are a pair of stone duplex houses located at 314 Everett Ave. in Tonopah, Nevada, United States. The Jim Butler Mining Company built the houses on its mining grounds in 1904 to house its workers. The houses feature stone walls and pyramid-shaped roofs; each home has two rooms on each side. The homes are typical of workers' housing used in Tonopah's mining industry. Margaret Cluff bought the houses in 1905 to use as rental properties.The houses were added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1982.Knocknakilla
Knocknakilla is the site of a megalithic complex (Grid Ref: W297843) situated between Macroom and Millstreet, in County Cork, Ireland. It is set in blanket peatland on the north-west upper slopes of Musherabeg mountain and is thought to be 3500 years old.Maughanasilly Stone Row
Maughanasilly Stone Row is a stone row and National Monument located in County Cork, Ireland.Nine Maidens stone row
Nine Maidens stone row is an ancient monument in the parish of St Columb Major, Cornwall, England. The Nine Maidens (grid reference SW936675) are also known in Cornish as Naw-voz, or Naw-whoors meaning "The nine sisters". This late neolithic stone row is 2 miles (3.2 km) north of St Columb Major.Ringmoor stone row and cairn circle
Ringmoor stone row and cairn circle (grid reference SX563658) is a prehistoric stone row and cairn circle on Ringmoor Down in Devon. It is located three miles east of the A386, northeast of the village of Shaugh Prior. It is three hundred metres north from Brisworthy stone circle, and is one of the archaeological sites found in the Upper Plym Valley.Shaughnessy Village
Shaughnessy Village (sometimes referred to as the Concordia Ghetto) is a neighbourhood of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, located on the western side of the Ville-Marie borough. It is bounded by Guy Street to the east, Atwater Street to the west, Sherbrooke Street to the north, and René Lévesque Boulevard and the Ville-Marie Expressway to the south.
This neighbourhood is the most densely populated area of Quebec, due to the large number of high-rise apartment towers built in the 1960s and 1970s. The area is characterized by high-density residential housing and small-businesses, typically owned and operated by immigrants living in the neighbourhood, concentrated at its core, with stately Victorian grey-stone row houses and beaux-arts styled apartment blocks at the edges of the neighbourhood. It is a primarily institutional neighbourhood, with a university, junior college, seminary, hospital and architecture museum among many private schools, colleges and technical schools.
In 1981, local citizens named the neighbourhood after Shaughnessy House, built in 1874 for Thomas Shaughnessy, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The house was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1974, and is now part of the Canadian Centre for Architecture.Other notable landmarks in the area include the Montreal Forum, the former site of the Montreal Children's Hospital on Atwater Avenue, and Le Faubourg Sainte-Catherine shopping mall and Cabot Square.Tawe-Uchaf
Tawe-Uchaf is a community in Powys, Wales. Situated north-east of Ystradgynlais in the upper valley of the Afon Tawe (hence the name), it includes the villages of Caehopkin, Coelbren, Glyntawe, Pen-y-cae, and Ynyswen. It had a population in 2001 of 1,516, increasing at the 2011 Census to 1,562.There are many caves in the area, the most famous of them being Dan-yr-Ogof, one of the largest cave systems in western Europe and a popular attraction for visitors.
A part of Tawe-Uchaf lies within Fforest Fawr Geopark and the Brecon Beacons National Park.
A complex of Bronze Age monuments known as Cerrig Duon (the "black rocks") – consisting of a stone circle, avenue, and three-stone row – and Maen Mawr (the "great stone") can be seen near the source of the Tawe at the northern end of the community area.Tawe-Uchaf is also home to Craig-y-Nos Castle, a country house built in 1841 and subsequently purchased and much extended by the renowned operatic singer Adelina Patti.
Opencast coal mining is an important activity in the area.Tor enclosure
A tor enclosure is a prehistoric monument found in the southwestern part of Great Britain. These monuments emerged around 4000 BC in the early