Stellarton is a town located in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia. It is adjacent and to the south of the larger town of New Glasgow. In pioneer times the area was called Coal Mines Station, and from 1833 until 1870, it was known as Albion Mines. The town was incorporated as Stellarton in 1889 and owes its name to a specific type of torbanite which came to be known as "stellarite" because of the "stars of fire" given off by its sparky flame.
Foord Street, Stellarton, NS
Stelly, StellaRock, Larton City
"Spirit, People, Pride"
|Incorporated||October 22, 1889|
|• Mayor||Danny MacGillivray|
|• Governing body||Stellarton Town Council|
|• MLA||Pat Dunn (PC)|
|• MP||Sean Fraser (L)|
|• Total||8.99 km2 (3.47 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||65 m (213 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||19 m (62 ft)|
|• Density||468.1/km2 (1,212/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (AST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (ADT)|
|Telephone Exchanges||301, 331, 419, 505, 507, 616, 695, 752, 753, 754, 755, 759, 771, 921, 928, 931, 934, 952|
In the 1790s, coal quickly became a key focus of the local economy. The Foord coal seam (from which the main street of Stellarton derives its name) runs through most of the town and is part of the greater Stellarton Basin/Pictou Coalfield. As part of an area recognized by geologists for its unique oil shales and thick coal seams, the Foord seam is said to be the thickest in the world with estimate of coal seams being as thick as 48 feet.
In the 1820s, the mines were taken over by the General Mining Association which intensified production with new technology including the first steam engine in Nova Scotia for pumping and in 1839 Samson, the oldest railway locomotive in Canada which carried coal to waiting ships.
Samson is now preserved at the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry in Stellarton.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Stellarton recorded a population of 4,208 living in 1,880 of its 2,018 total private dwellings, a change of −6.2% from its 2011 population of 4,485. With a land area of 8.99 km2 (3.47 sq mi), it had a population density of 468.1/km2 (1,212.3/sq mi) in 2016.
The Canadian grocery chain Sobeys is based out of Stellarton, and its corporate offices and grocery subsidiaries provides a fair percentage of the town's employment. Sobeys subsidiaries based in Stellarton include Big 8 Beverages, TRA Cash and Carry, Eastern Sign-Print and Regional Distribution Centre.
Stellarton is home to the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry, part of the Nova Scotia Museum system. Stellarton is noted for its painted fire hydrants, each adorned with a costumed representative of a town inhabitant or profession.
The Stellarton Memorial Rink is a Rink in Stellarton that was made in 1945 to remember the soldiers that died in World War I and World War II that is still used today by the local minor ice hockey club, the Stellarton Royals.
Big 8 Beverages is a soft drinks company based in the town of Stellarton, near New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Canada. Established in 1986 and owned by the Sobeys chain of supermarkets, which is also headquartered in Stellarton, the company produces fizzy soda drinks of a wide range of flavours, and also bottles mineral water for home or office consumption.Bonnell (microarchitecture)
Bonnell is a CPU microarchitecture used by Intel Atom processors which can execute up to two instructions per cycle. Like many other x86 microprocessors, it translates x86 instructions (CISC instructions) into simpler internal operations (sometimes referred to as micro-ops, effectively RISC style instructions) prior to execution. The majority of instructions produce one micro-op when translated, with around 4% of instructions used in typical programs producing multiple micro-ops. The number of instructions that produce more than one micro-op is significantly fewer than the P6 and NetBurst microarchitectures. In the Bonnell microarchitecture, internal micro-ops can contain both a memory load and a memory store in connection with an ALU operation, thus being more similar to the x86 level and more powerful than the micro-ops used in previous designs. This enables relatively good performance with only two integer ALUs, and without any instruction reordering, speculative execution or register renaming. A side effect of having no speculative execution is invulnerability against Meltdown and Spectre.
The Bonnell microarchitecture therefore represents a partial revival of the principles used in earlier Intel designs such as P5 and the i486, with the sole purpose of enhancing the performance per watt ratio. However, Hyper-Threading is implemented in an easy (i.e. low-power) way to employ the whole pipeline efficiently by avoiding the typical single thread dependencies.Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway
The Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway (reporting mark CBNS) is a short line railway operating in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia. CBNS operates (245 miles or 394 kilometres) of main line and associated spurs between Truro in the central part of the province to Point Tupper on Cape Breton Island.
The rail lines operated by CBNS were previously owned by the Canadian National Railway. CBNS began operations in 1994 after the rail lines was purchased in October 1993 by the holding company RailTex. The purchase and operation of this route made CBNS one of the first short line railways to operate a route previously owned by a Canadian Class I railroad. On February 4, 2000, RailTex and all of its assets, including CBNS, were sold to the holding company RailAmerica. On December 12, 2012, RailAmerica and all of its assets, including CBNS, were sold to the holding company Genesee & Wyoming.East River of Pictou
The East River of Pictou is a Canadian river located in Pictou County, Nova Scotia.
The river has a meander length of approximately 57 km (35 mi) and a watershed having an area of approximately 547 km2 (211 sq mi). It rises at Hunters Lake in the community of Eden Lake. It discharges into Pictou Harbour which is a sub-basin of the Northumberland Strait. It is an estuary for approximately 12 km (7.5 mi) from Pictou Harbour to New Glasgow and is currently navigable for small pleasure craft for approximately 10 km (6.2 mi).
The majority of the watershed is heavily forested. The lower valley, running approximately 20 km (12 mi) from Pictou Harbour experiences the majority of human impact.
The valley is tied to Nova Scotia's, and Canada's, earliest industrial activity since the discovery in 1798 of what is now known as the Pictou Coalfield in the Carboniferous Stellarton Basin. Large-scale underground coal mining commenced along the river valley in 1827 under the General Mining Association and lasted until the explosion at the Westray Mine in 1992; small scale open pit mining has continued since 1992. The nation's first steel fabrication facility was founded in 1872 in Trenton, spurred in part by the availability of local coal and partly by the transportation opportunities provided by the navigable portion of the river and the arrival in 1867 of the Nova Scotia Railway.HMCS Stellarton
HMCS Stellarton was a modified Flower-class corvette that served in the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War. She fought primarily in the Battle of the Atlantic as a convoy escort. She was named for Stellarton, Nova Scotia. After the war she was sold to the Chilean Navy.Hopewell, Nova Scotia
Hopewell is a village in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia, located in Pictou County .
One of Canada's first automobiles was manufactured at Hopewell, Nova Scotia in 1898, named 'The Victorian'. The car was a two-passenger buggy with iron tires, chain drive, and tiller steering.Hopewell lies tucked in the valley of the East River, outside the towns of Stellarton and New Glasgow (TCH 104 Exit 24 and south on 374 out of Stellarton). One of many such communities that sprung up along the valley and were once joined by the railroad which delivered supplies and mail; this small community is the home of the Hopewell Footbridge, a municipal heritage site and one of the last surviving footbridges in North America. Hopewell is part of the beautiful East River Valley, a scenic pastoral area known for its colourful blueberry fields, winding river and lush farmlands.Famous country music singer George Canyon grew up in Foxbrook, not far from the Hopewell. While he was participating on the reality television show "Nashville Star", his wife and two children continued to live in the community. Canyon still owns land in the area.Hopewell has a rich Gaelic heritage. The "Maclean, Sinclair family fonds" collection came from the estate of George Maclean Sinclair, from Hopewell, in 1953. This contribution was described as "the finest collection of original Gaelic material in Canada" at the time.John Carey Douglas
John Carey Douglas (July 14, 1874 – December 10, 1926) was a Canadian politician.
Born in Stellarton, Nova Scotia, the son of John and Ann (Carey) Douglas, Douglas was educated in public schools, in Stellarton, at Pictou Academy and Mount Allison University where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1897 and a Master of Arts in 1909. He received a Bachelor of Law degree from Dalhousie University in 1899 and was called to the Bar in 1900. In 1901, he started a legal practice in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia. From 1908 to 1911 he was mayor of Glace Bay. From 1911 to 1916, he was a Liberal-Conservative member of the Nova Scotia House of Assembly for Cape Breton County. He was elected to the House of Commons of Canada as the Unionist candidate for the electoral district of Cape Breton South and Richmond in the 1917 election. He was defeated in the 1921 election.
From 1925 to 1926, he was a member again of the Nova Scotia House of Assembly. He was also Minister of Lands and Forests and Attorney General in the cabinet of Edgar Nelson Rhodes. He was elected to the Canadian House of Commons as the Conservative candidate for the electoral district of Antigonish—Guysborough in the 1926 election. He died a short while later in December 1926.Leo McKay Jr.
Leo McKay Jr. (born June 19, 1964) is a Canadian novelist and short story writer from Stellarton, Nova Scotia. He also is a periodic contributor to The Globe and Mail.Middle River of Pictou
The Middle River of Pictou is a Canadian river located in Pictou County, Nova Scotia.
The river has a meander length of approximately 37 km (23 mi) and a watershed having an area of approximately 213 km2 (82 sq mi). It rises at Dryden Lake in the community of Glengarry Station. It discharges into Pictou Harbour which is a sub-basin of the Northumberland Strait. Historically, until 1969, it was an estuary for approximately 8.5 km (5.3 mi) from Pictou Harbour to Alma; since then only the lower 2.5 km (1.6 mi) remains as an estuary.
The valley is tied to Nova Scotia's, and Canada's, earliest industrial activity since the discovery in 1798 of what is now known as the Pictou Coalfield in the Carboniferous Stellarton Basin. Large-scale underground coal mining commenced in the nearby East River of Pictou river valley in 1827 under the General Mining Association and lasted until the explosion at the Westray Mine in 1992; small scale open pit mining has continued since 1992.The community of "Acadia Mine" which was later renamed as the town of Westville experienced coal mining from the 1860s-1970s, entirely within the watershed of the Middle River of Pictou. Historically, two coal mining companies operated coal shipment piers on the Middle River of Pictou until the early to mid-20th century. One pier was located near the head of navigation in the southern part of Granton along the east bank of the river. The other pier was located at the mouth of the river at Abercrombie Point in the northern part of Abercrombie. Both piers were served by railway lines and hauled coal from mines in Westville.
The river experienced significant changes in the late 1960s due to industrial development and construction of transportation infrastructure. In 1965 the Government of Nova Scotia under the leadership of Premier Robert Stanfield passed the Scott Maritimes Limited Agreement (1965) Act in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly. This legislation included an agreement whereby the Government of Nova Scotia, beginning in 1967, would provide to a pulp mill to be located at Abercrombie a minimum of 25,000,000 imp gal (110,000 m3) per day. To meet this requirement, the provincial government constructed a rock fill dam across the estuarine portion of the Middle River of Pictou at a location between Loch Broom and Granton, creating a reservoir with an area of approximately 6 km2 (2.3 sq mi) and a depth of approximately 5 m (16 ft). The flooding of the reservoir also required the realignment of 6 km (3.7 mi) of the CN Rail line running between Stellarton and Oxford Junction, including the abandonment of several properties in the community of Sylvester. The rail line was realigned to cross the Middle River of Pictou on the reservoir's dam and remained in operation until freight rail traffic ceased in 1986.
The other major change to the Middle River of Pictou, as well as the West River of Pictou and the western portion of Pictou Harbour was the construction in 1968 of a rock fill causeway and tidal sluice gates across the harbour between Abercrombie Point in the south and Brown's Point in the north. This causeway carries Nova Scotia Highway 106 and is named the "Harvey A. Veniot Causeway" in honour of local politician Harvey Veniot. The causeway has proven controversial as in addition to limiting the exchange of water in the harbour, it has significantly reduced the navigable portion of Pictou Harbour.
The majority of the watershed of the Middle River of Pictou is heavily forested. A section measuring approximately 8 km (5.0 mi) in length through the communities of Union Centre and Rocklin has some cleared land for small family farms.New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
New Glasgow is a town in Pictou County, in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. It is situated on the banks of the East River of Pictou, which flows into Pictou Harbour, a sub-basin of the Northumberland Strait.
The town's population was 9,075 in the 2016 census. New Glasgow is at the centre of the province's fourth largest urban area; the population of the New Glasgow census agglomeration in the 2016 census was 34,487. The New Glasgow census agglomeration includes the smaller adjacent towns of Stellarton, Westville, and Trenton as well as adjacent rural areas of the county.Northumberland Regional High School
Northumberland Regional High School (NRHS) is a Canadian public high school located in Westville, Nova Scotia. Students that attend the school come from the western part of Pictou County, including the towns of Stellarton, and Westville. The school is administratively part of the "Celtic Region" in the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board. Its official colours are red, white and black and the mascot is a Nighthawk nicknamed "Squawk". The sports teams from NRHS are called the Northumberland Nighthawks.Nova Scotia Route 374
Route 374 is a collector road in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia. It connects New Glasgow at Exit 24 of Nova Scotia Highway 104 with Sheet Harbour at Trunk 7. The highway runs through the Halifax Regional Municipality, Guysborough County & Pictou County.
The highway runs north-south through the Liscomb Game Sanctuary.Pictou County
Pictou County is a county in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. It was established in 1835, and was formerly a part of Halifax County from 1759 to 1835. It had a population of 43,748 people in 2016, a decline of 4.2 percent from 2011. Furthermore, its 2016 population is only 88.11% of the census population in 1991. It is the sixth most populous county in Nova Scotia.Samson (locomotive)
The Samson is an English-built railroad steam locomotive made in 1838 that ran on the Albion Mines Railway in Nova Scotia, Canada. It is preserved at the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry in Stellarton, Nova Scotia and is the oldest locomotive in Canada.Sobeys
Sobeys Inc. is the second largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,500 stores operating in Canada under a variety of banners. Headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario and Stellarton, Nova Scotia, it operates stores in all ten provinces and accumulated sales of more than $24 billion CAD in the fiscal 2017 operating year. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Empire Company Limited, a Canadian conglomerate.Stellarton Formation
The Stellarton Formation is a geologic formation in Nova Scotia. It preserves fossils dating back to the Carboniferous period.Stellarton Surface Coal Mine
The Stellarton Surface Coal Mine is an open pit reclamation coal mine located in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. It is owned and operated by Pioneer Coal Limited.Westville, Nova Scotia
Westville is a town in Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada. It is located immediately west of Stellarton and about four kilometres southwest of New Glasgow, the major town in the area.William Donald Ross
William Donald Ross (June 20, 1869 – June 25, 1947), was a financier, banker and the 14th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.
Born in 1869 in Bras d'Or, Nova Scotia, Ross went to work for the Bank of Nova Scotia emptying wastebaskets at the age of 14. The family farm had failed and Ross left school in order to earn money . He rose through the ranks, becoming manager of branches in Stellarton and New Glasgow before becoming manager of the Charlottetown branch at the age of 24.In 1901, he joined the Ministry of Finance in Ottawa before becoming general manager of the Metropolitan Bank of Toronto and moving to Toronto with his wife and children. In his new city, Ross helped find the funds to found Branksome Hall, a new private school for girls, operated by his cousin. In 1914, the Metropolitan Bank was acquired by the Bank of Nova Scotia, where Ross would ultimately become vice-president and sit on the board of directors.
Ross's first wife, Susan Archibald McGregor, died in 1909. Her father would become Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia. They had three children: Donald, Isabel and Susan. He later married Isabel MacKay and they had two children: Jean and John.A supporter of and fundraiser for the Liberal Party of Canada, Ross was appointed as Lieutenant Governor of Ontario by Governor General Freeman Freeman-Thomas, 1st Marquess of Willingdon, on the advice of William Lyon Mackenzie King, in 1926. He asked to be relieved from office in 1931 due to the onset of the Great Depression as his income from private investments declined and he was no longer sufficient to supplement the $10,000 annual salary he received in his vice-regal role.
In 1937, Ross became co-owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team. His son Donald became club president.
He died in Toronto in 1947.
Places adjacent to Stellarton