Stavoren, (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈstaːvərə(n)]; West Frisian: Starum; previously Staveren) is a town in Friesland, Netherlands, on the coast of the IJsselmeer about 5 km south of Hindeloopen, in the municipality of Súdwest-Fryslân.
Stavoren had a population of 950 in January 2017. It is one of the stops on the Elfstedentocht (English: "eleven cities tour"), an ice skating contest which occurs when the winter temperatures provide safe conditions. A ferry for pedestrians and cyclists operates between Stavoren and Enkhuizen, with increased trips during summer months. The Friese Kustpad, a 131 kilometres (81 miles) long-distance trail to Lauwersoog, begins in Stavoren.
West Frisian: Starum
Coat of arms
Location in the former Nijefurd municipality
Location in the Netherlands
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The historical Stavoren was granted city rights between 1060 and 1067, making it the oldest city in Friesland. It is mentioned in early texts as the burial place of the early kings of Friesland, including the first Christian king Adgil II (d. 730), who was a son of Redbad, the last pagan king who lived from about 670 to 719.
Stavoren began to decline in the late Middle Ages after a sandbank formed outside the harbour, blocking ships from entering and exiting. The appearance of the sandbank is the topic of the Dutch Renaissance folk-tale of the Lady of Stavoren. In 1657, the entire town was submerged in a great flood.
Before 2011, the city was part of the Nijefurd municipality and before 1984 Stavoren was an independent municipality.
Media related to Stavoren at Wikimedia CommonsBakhuizen
Bakhuizen (West Frisian: Bakhuzen) is a village in the Dutch province of Friesland. It is located in the municipality De Fryske Marren, about 6 km east of the city of Stavoren.
Bakhuizen has about 1,075 inhabitants.Battle of Warns
The Battle of Warns (Frisian: Slach by Warns, Dutch: Slag bij Warns) was a battle from the Frisian-Hollandic War between count William IV of Holland and the Frisians which took place on 26 September 1345. The annual commemoration of the battle is important for many nationalist Frisians. The Frisians won the battle and repelled the Dutchmen from the eastern coast of the Zuiderzee.Enkhuizen railway station
Enkhuizen is a terminus railway station in Enkhuizen, Netherlands. The station opened on 6 June 1885 and is located at the end of the Zaandam–Enkhuizen railway. The station and services are operated by Nederlandse Spoorwegen. The station has a nearby ferry departure point with a ferry to Stavoren. There is also a ferry to and from Medemblik, allowing one to travel the so-called "historical triangle" using the Steamtrain Hoorn Medemblik from Hoorn to Medemblik, the boat to Enkhuizen and the train back to Hoorn from here (or the other way around). Both ferry services operate only during the summer.Hindeloopen railway station
Hindeloopen is a railway station near Hindeloopen, Netherlands. The station opened on 28 November 1885 and is on the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway between Sneek and Stavoren. The services are operated by Arriva.IJlst railway station
IJlst is a railway station serving IJlst, Netherlands. It is located on the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway between Sneek and Stavoren and the current station was opened on 2 June 1985. Owned by Nederlandse Spoorwegen, the train services are operated by Arriva.
The original railway station and its adjacent building was first opened on 28 November 1885 and regular service continued until 1938, when IJlst was removed from the train schedule. Train services briefly resumed from May 1940 until April 1941, with the station's building being demolished in 1954, although freight trains continued to stop in IJlst until September 1970. On 2 June 1985, the station was reopened with a small waiting room a few hundred meters to the north of the original location.Koudum-Molkwerum railway station
Koudum-Molkwerum is a railway station located near Molkwerum and Koudum, Netherlands. The station was opened on 28 November 1885 and is on the Leeuwarden - Stavoren railway line. The train service is operated by Arriva. The station was closed between 15 May 1938 and 1 June 1940. The platform at this station is only 90 meters long and therefore the shortest of all train platforms in the country.Lady of Stavoren
The Lady of Stavoren (Dutch: Vrouwtje van Stavoren, West Frisian: Frouke fan Starum) is a folk tale from the Netherlands which originated in the 16th century.Leeuwarden railway station
Leeuwarden is the main railway station in Leeuwarden, Netherlands. The station, which opened on 27 October 1863, is on the Arnhem–Leeuwarden railway, the Harlingen–Nieuweschans railway and the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway. Leeuwarden was also the terminus of the North Friesland Railway which served Anjum and Harlingen via Stiens. Behind the station is a stabling point for many trains. The train services are operated by Nederlandse Spoorwegen and Arriva; of the station's six platforms, five are terminating platforms and one is a through platform.Mantgum railway station
Mantgum is a railway station in Mantgum, Netherlands. The station opened on 16 June 1883 and is located on the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway. The services are operated by Arriva. The station was closed between 15 May 1938 and 1 May 1940 and between 24 November 1940 and 3 June 1973. The station is 10 km from Leeuwarden and 12 km from Sneek.Nijefurd
Nijefurd (pronunciation ) is a former municipality in the northern Netherlands, in the province of Friesland.Sneek Noord railway station
Sneek Noord is a railway station in Sneek, Netherlands. The station opened on 3 June 1973 and is located on the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway. The train services are operated by Arriva.Sneek railway station
Sneek is a railway station in Sneek, Netherlands. The station opened on 16 June 1883 and is located on the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway. Until the line was finished in 1885, this station was the terminus. In 1921 a connection was made with the tramway running between Sneek and Bolsward, which stopped in 1968. The train services are operated by Arriva.Stadsfries dialects
Stadsfries or Town Frisian (Dutch: Stadsfriesch, Stadfriesch, Stadsfries, Stadfries; West Frisian: stedsk, stedfrysk) is a set of dialects spoken in certain cities in the province of Friesland in the northern Netherlands, namely Leeuwarden, Sneek, Bolsward, Franeker, Dokkum, Harlingen, Stavoren, and to some extent in Heerenveen. For linguistic reasons, the outlying and insular dialects of Midsland (Terschelling), Ameland, Het Bildt, and Kollum are also sometimes tied to Stadsfries.
The vocabulary of Stadsfries is derived primarily from Dutch. The dialects began in the late 15th century, when Frisia lost its political independence to the Netherlands. For many living in Frisia, learning Dutch became a necessity. The result was a mixture of Hollandic dialect vocabulary and West Frisian grammar and other language principles. Since this process began, the West Frisian language itself has evolved, such that Stadsfries is further away from modern Frisian than it is from Old Frisian. Norval Smith states that Stadsfries is a Frisian–Dutch mixed language.The name of the dialect group, Stadsfries, is not an endonym but is instead a Dutch term for the language. Stad (German: Stadt) is a Germanic term for "city" or "town", seen in English place names such as "Hempstead". In Stadsfries, the term for the dialect group is Stadsfrys or Stads, or each dialect is known simply by a name derived from the particular city name, such as Liwwarders for the dialect of Leeuwarden. In West Frisian, the dialects are known as stedsk ("city-ish"), which does not indicate the idea that Stadsfries is a form of Frisian. To indicate this difference, one can call (West) Frisian-proper Boerenfries ("farmer-Frisian").Stavoren Lighthouse
The Stavoren Lighthouse is a lighthouse near Stavoren on the IJsselmeer, in the Netherlands. On two nearby piers are a red and a green light beacon for the Stavoren harbor. All were built in 1885 (probably by Quirinus Harder) and are Rijksmonuments since 1999. The lighthouse was restored in 2001.Stavoren railway station
Stavoren is a terminus railway station in Stavoren, Netherlands. The station opened on 28 November 1885 and is the southern terminus of the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway. Train services are operated by Arriva.
Between 1943 and 1979, the station was called Staveren.Storfjorden (Svalbard)
Storfjorden (English: Great Fjord) is the body of water separating Spitsbergen in the west from Barentsøya and Edgeøya to the east. Its southern limits are Kikutodden in Sørkapp Land east to Håøya, Tiholmane, Brækmoholmane, and Menkeøyane in Thousand Islands and northeast to Negerpynten—the southeastern promontory of Edgeøya. Its limits on its eastern side are Sundneset on the northern side of Freemansundet south to Palibinramten on the northwest coast of Edgeøya. The northern part is called Ginevra Bay, which lies between Olav V Land and Barentsøya. It ends at Heleysundet.
Storfjorden was historically known as Wybe Jans Water, named after the Frisian whaler Wybe Jansz van Stavoren. The fjord was first labelled as such in 1620.Walraven I van Brederode
Walraven I van Brederode (Santpoort, ca.1370/73 – Gorinchem, 1 December 1417) was Burgrave of Stavoren from 1400 to 1401, lord of Brederode from 1402 to 1417, and Stadtholder of Holland from 1416 to 1417.Workum railway station
Workum is a railway station serving Workum, Netherlands. The station was opened on 28 November 1885. It is located on the Leeuwarden–Stavoren railway between Sneek and Stavoren. The train services are operated by Arriva.Wouda pumping station
The D.F. Wouda Steam Pumping Station (ir. D.F. Woudagemaal) is a pumping station in the Netherlands, and the largest still operational steam-powered pumping station in the world. On October 7, 1920 Queen Wilhelmina opened the pumping station. It was built to pump excess water out of Friesland, a province in the north of the Netherlands.
In 1967, after running on coal for 47 years, the boilers were converted to run on heavy fuel oil. It has a pumping capacity of 4,000 m³ per minute, 1,000,000 GPM, 1,440 MGD. The pumping station is currently used to supplement the existing pumping capacity of the J.L. Hooglandgemaal in Stavoren in case of exceptionally high water levels in Friesland; this usually happens a few days per year.
-4 tandem compound, reciprocating steam engines, with poppet valves:
Single acting high pressure cylinder, 0.5 m diameter.Double acting low pressure cylinder, uni-flow exhaust, 0.85 m diameter.Stroke: 1.0 m500 Horsepower, 373 kilowatt-8 horizontal, double suction, fabricated, centrifugal pumps: 500 m³ per minute, 125,000 GPM, 180 MGD:
rotational speed: 95 to 115 rpm, impeller diameter 1.70 m.Since 1998 the ir. D.F. Woudagemaal has been listed on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
The station is open for visitors and tours are given regularly.
See also: Elfstedentocht