Stamford is a town on the River Welland in Lincolnshire, England, 92 miles (148 km) north of London on the A1. The population at the 2011 census was 19,701. The town has 17th and 18th-century stone buildings, older timber-framed buildings and five medieval parish churches. In 2013, Stamford was rated the best place to live in a survey by The Sunday Times.
|OS grid reference|
|• London||92 mi (148 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
The Romans built Ermine Street across what is now Burghley Park and forded the river Welland to the west of Stamford, eventually reaching Lincoln; they also built a town to the north at Great Casterton on the River Gwash. In AD 61 Boudica followed the Roman legion Legio IX Hispana across the river. The Anglo-Saxons later chose Stamford as their main town, being on a more important river than the Gwash.
In 972 King Edgar made Stamford a borough. The Anglo-Saxons and Danes faced each other across the river. The town originally grew as a Danish settlement at the lowest point that the Welland could be crossed by ford or bridge. Stamford was the only one of the Five Boroughs of the Danelaw not to become a county town. Initially a pottery centre, producing Stamford Ware, by the Middle Ages it had become famous for its production of wool and the woollen cloth known as Stamford cloth or haberget - which "In Henry III's reign... was well known in Venice."
Stamford was a walled town, but only a very small portion of the walls now remains. Stamford became an inland port on the Great North Road, the latter superseding Ermine Street in importance. Notable buildings in the town include the mediaeval Browne's Hospital, several churches and the buildings of Stamford School, a public school founded in 1532.
A Norman castle was built about 1075 and apparently demolished in 1484. The site stood derelict until the late 20th century, when it was built over and now includes a bus station and a modern housing development. A small part of the curtain wall survives at the junction of Castle Dyke and Bath Row.
Stamford has been hosting an annual fair since the Middle Ages. Stamford fair is mentioned in Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 2 (Act 3, Scene 2). The mid-Lent fair is the largest street fair in Lincolnshire and one of the largest in the country. On 7 March 1190, crusaders at the fair led a pogrom; many Jews in the town were massacred.
For over 600 years Stamford was the site of the Stamford Bull Run festival, held annually on 13 November, St Brice's day, until 1839. According to local tradition, the custom was started by William de Warenne, 5th Earl of Surrey, after he saw two bulls fighting in the meadow beneath his castle viewpoint. Some butchers came to part the combatants and one of the bulls ran into the town. The earl mounted his horse and rode after the animal; he enjoyed the sport so much that he gave the meadow in which the fight began to the butchers of Stamford on condition that they should provide a bull, to be run in the town every 13 November, for ever after.
Stamford Museum was in a Victorian building in Broad Street from 1980 to 2011. In June 2011 it was closed because of Lincolnshire County Council budget cuts. Some of its exhibits have been relocated to the Discover Stamford area at the town's library and to the Town Hall.
Stamford is part of the Parliamentary constituency of Grantham and Stamford. The incumbent Member of Parliament is the former Conservative, Nick Boles, who since March 2019 has been an Independent.
Since April 1974 Stamford has been within the areas of Lincolnshire County (upper tier) and South Kesteven District Council (lower tier); it was formerly part of Kesteven County Council. It belongs to the East Midlands region.
Stamford has a town council. The arms of the town council are Per pale dexter side Gules three Lions passant guardant in pale Or and the sinister side chequy Or and Azure. The three lions are the English royal arms and the blue and gold chequers are the arms of the De Warenne family, who held the Manor in the 13th century.
Stamford is a town and civil parish in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, on the River Welland in a southwesterly protrusion of Lincolnshire, between Rutland to the north and west, and Peterborough to the south. It borders Northamptonshire to the southwest. There have been mistaken claims of a quadripoint where four ceremonial counties, Rutland, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire seem to meet at a point. However, the location actually consists of two tripoints around 66 ft (20 metres) apart.
In 1991, the boundary between Lincolnshire and Rutland (then Leicestershire) in the Stamford area was rearranged and it now mostly follows the A1 to the railway line. The conjoined parish of Wothorpe is in the city of Peterborough. Barnack Road is the Lincolnshire/Peterborough boundary where it borders St Martin's Without.
In 1968, a specimen of the sauropod dinosaur Cetiosaurus oxoniensis was found in the Williamson Cliffe Quarry, close to nearby Great Casterton in adjacent Rutland. It is about 170 million years old, from the Aalenian or Bajocian part of the Jurassic period. It is 15 metres (49 ft) long and one of the most complete dinosaur skeletons found in the UK. In 1975, it was installed in the New Walk Museum in Leicester.
Tourism plays an important part and there is substantial presence of professional law and accountancy firms. Health, education and other public service employers also play a role in the local economy, notably the hospital, a large medical general practice, schools (including independent schools) and the further education college. Hospitality is provided by a large number of hotels, licensed premises and many restaurants, tearooms and cafés.
The licensed premises reflect the history of the town with the George Hotel, The Lord Burghley, The William Cecil, The Danish Invader, The Scotgate (and previously The Daniel Lambert) together with the Easton on the Hill, nearly thirty premises serve real ale. The surrounding villages and Rutland Water provide additional venues and employment opportunities, as do the several annual large events at Burghley House.
The town has a significant retail and retail service sector. The town centre is home to many independents and draws people from a wide area for the pleasure of shopping, often in traffic-free streets. There are numerous gift shops, men's and women's outfitters, shoe shops and florists, as well as hair salons, beauty therapists and eateries.
National supermarkets Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons are represented. There are two retail parks a little way from the centre: on one, Homebase DIY, Curry's electrical, Carpetright floor covering and McDonald's fast-food; on the other Sainsbury's, Argos, Lidl supermarket, and Halfords car spares and bicycle shop. The town has three builders' merchants, and a number of other specialist trade outlets. There are two large car sales showrooms, and a number of car-related businesses. There are also local service retailers: convenience stores, post offices, newsagents and take-aways (fish and chips and others).
South of the town is RAF Wittering, a main employer which was until 2011 the home of the Harrier. The base originally opened in 1916 as RFC Stamford, which closed in 1919 then reopened in 1924 under its present name.
The engineering company,in the main part closed from June 2018, Cummins Generator Technologies (formerly Newage Lyon, then Newage International), a maker of electrical generators, is based on Barnack Road. C & G Concrete (now part of Breedon Aggregates) is on Uffington Road. The area is known for its limestone and slate quarries. Collyweston stone slate, the cream-coloured stone, is found on the roofs of many of Stamford's stone buildings. Stamford Stone, in Barnack, have two quarries at Marholm and Holywell; Clipsham Stone have two quarries in Clipsham - Clipsham stone is found on York Minster.
The Pick Motor Company was founded in Stamford in about 1898. A number of smaller firms — welders, printers and so forth — are either in small collections of industrial units, or more traditional premises in older mixed-use parts of the town. Blackstone & Co was a farm implement and diesel engine manufacturing company.
Being in the midst of some of the richest farmland in England, and close to the famous "double cropping" land of parts of the fens, agriculture provides a small, but steady number of jobs for the town in farming, agricultural machinery, distribution and other ancillary services.
The Stamford Mercury claims to have been published since 1695, and to be "Britain's oldest newspaper". The London Gazette also claims this honour, having been published since the 1660s; however, it is not now a newspaper in the usual sense.
Local radio provision is shared between Peterborough's Heart Cambridgeshire (102.7 - Heart Peterborough closed in July 2010) and the smaller Rutland Radio (the 97.4 transmitter is on Little Casterton Road) from Oakham. Also the BBC's Radio Cambridgeshire (95.7 from Peterborough), Radio Northampton (103.6 from Corby) and Radio Lincolnshire (94.9). NOW Digital broadcasts from the East Casterton transmitter covering the town and Spalding, which provides the Peterborough 12D multiplex (BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and Hereward FM). Stamford has its own lower-power television relay transmitter, due to the town being in a valley which takes the transmission from Waltham, not Belmont.
Local high-profile publishers are Key Publishing (aviation) and the Bourne Publishing Group (pets). Old Glory, a specialist magazine devoted to steam power and traction engines, was published in Stamford.
Stamford was the first conservation area to be designated in England and Wales under the Civic Amenities Act 1967. There are over 600 listed buildings in the town and its surrounding area.
The Industrial Revolution largely left Stamford untouched. Much of the town centre was built in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, in Jacobean or Georgian style. Stamford is marked by streets of timber-framed and stone buildings using local limestone, and little shops tucked down back alleys. A number of the old coaching inns survive, their large doorways being a feature of the town. The main shopping area was pedestrianised in the 1980s.
Near Stamford (but actually in the historic Soke of Peterborough) is Burghley House, an Elizabethan mansion, vast and ornate, built by the First Minister of Elizabeth I, Sir William Cecil, later Lord Burghley. The house is the ancestral seat of the Marquess of Exeter. The tomb of William Cecil is in St Martin's Church in Stamford. The parkland of the Burghley Estate adjoins the town of Stamford on two sides. Also inside the district of Peterborough is the village of Wothorpe.
Lying as it does on the main north-south route (Ermine Street, the Great North Road and now the A1) from London to York and Edinburgh, several Parliaments were held in Stamford in the Middle Ages. The George, the Bull and Swan, the Crown and the London Inn were well-known coaching inns. The town had to cope with Britain's heavy north-south traffic through its narrow roads until 1960, when the bypass was built to the west of the town, only a few months after the M1 opened. The old route is now the B1081. There is only one road bridge over the Welland, excluding the A1: a local bottleneck.
Until 1996, there were plans for the bypass to be upgraded to motorway standard, but they have since been shelved. The Carpenter's Lodge roundabout south of the town has been replaced with a grade-separated junction. The old A16 road, now the A1175 (Uffington Road)s to Market Deeping, meets the northern end of the A43 (Kettering Road) in the south of the town.
Foot bridges cross the Welland at the Meadows, some 200 m upstream of the Town Bridge, and at the Albert Bridge 250 m downstream.
The Jurassic Way runs from Banbury to Stamford. The Hereward Way runs through the town from Rutland to the Peddars Way in Norfolk, along the Roman Ermine Street and then the River Nene. The Macmillan Way heads through the town, finishing at Boston, while Torpel Way which follows the railway line, entering Peterborough at Bretton.
The town is served by Stamford railway station, formerly known as Stamford Town to distinguish it from the now closed Stamford East station in Water Street. The station building is a fine stone structure in Mock Tudor style, influenced by the nearby Burghley House, and designed by Sancton Wood.
The station has direct services to Leicester, Birmingham and Stansted Airport (via Cambridge) on the Birmingham to Peterborough Line. CrossCountry operate the majority of services as part of their Birmingham to Stansted Airport route. Trains to and from Peterborough pass through a short tunnel that runs beneath St Martin's High Street.
The town has a bus station on part of the old Castle site in St Peter's Hill. The main bus routes are to Peterborough via Helpston or Wansford and to Oakham, Grantham, Uppingham and Bourne. There are also less frequent services to Peterborough by other routes. Delaine Buses services terminate at their old depot in North Street. Other active operators include CentreBus, Blands and Peterborough Council.
On Sundays and Bank Holidays from 16 May 2010, there are five journeys to Peterborough operated by Peterborough City Council, on routes via Wittering/Wansford, Duddington/Wansford, Burghley House/Barnack/Helpston and Uffington/Barnack/Helpston. There is also a National Express coach service between London and Nottingham each day including Sundays. Route maps and timetables are on Lincolnshire County Council's website, as responsibility for overseeing transport lies with that level of government.
Although commercial shipping traffic brought cargoes along a canal from Market Deeping to warehouses in Wharf Road until the 1850s, this traffic is no longer possible because of the abandonment of the canal and the shallowness of the river above Crowland. There is a lock at the Sluice in Deeping St James but it is not in use. The river was not conventionally navigable upstream of the Town Bridge.
Stamford has five state primary schools – Bluecoat, St Augustine's (RC), St George's, St Gilbert's and Malcolm Sargent, and the independent Stamford Junior School, a co-educational school for children from ages two to eleven.
There is one state secondary school in the town itself: Stamford Welland Academy (formerly Stamford Queen Eleanor School). This was formed in the late 1980s after the dissolution of the town's two comprehensive schools – Fane and Exeter. It became an academy in 2011. In April 2013, a group of parents announced their intention to establish a Free School in the town, but their proposal did not receive government backing. Instead, the multi-academy trust which had submitted the Free School bid was invited to take over the running of the existing school.
Stamford School and Stamford High School are long-established independent schools with approximately 1,500 pupils combined. Stamford School for boys was founded in 1532, with the High School for girls was founded in 1877. The schools have taught co-educational classes in the sixth form since 2000. Together with Stamford Junior School, they form the Stamford Endowed Schools.
Most of Lincolnshire still has grammar schools. In Stamford, the place of grammar schools was long filled by a form of the Assisted Places Scheme that provided state funding to send children to one of the two independent schools in the town that were formerly direct-grant grammars. The national scheme was abolished by the 1997 Labour government. The Stamford arrangements remained in place as an increasingly protracted transitional arrangement. In 2008, the council decided no new places could be funded and the arrangement finally ended in 2012. The rest of South Kesteven, apart from Market Deeping, has the selective system.
New College Stamford offers post-16 further education: work-based, vocational and academic; and higher education courses including BA degrees in art and design awarded by the University of Lincoln and teaching-related courses awarded by Bishop Grosseteste University. The college also offers a range of informal adult learning.
In 1333–4, a group of students and tutors from Merton and Brasenose colleges, dissatisfied with conditions at their university, left Oxford to establish a rival college at Stamford. Oxford and Cambridge universities petitioned Edward III, and the King ordered the closure of the college and the return of the students to Oxford. Oxford MA students were obliged to swear the following: "You shall also swear that you will not read lectures, or hear them read, at Stamford, as in a University study, or college general", an oath that remained in place until 1827. The site, and limited remains, of the former 'Brazenose College, Stamford' where the Oxford secessionists lived and studied, now forms part of the Stamford School premises.
In the 2001 Census, over 80 per cent of the population of Stamford identified themselves as Christian, while under 13 per cent identified themselves as of "no religion".
Stamford has many current or former churches:
Stamford and nearby villages have their own substantial entertainment sector, as well as being able to access what is on offer in Peterborough, Leicester and other nearby cities. The local sector includes:
In 2012 the Olympic torchbearer passed through Stamford.
There are a number of junior teams in each age group as well as school teams.
Air Forces Monthly is a military aviation magazine published by Key Publishing, and based in Stamford, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom. It was established in 1988.Topics covered by AirForces Monthly magazine include:
Comprehensive coverage of the world's air forces
Insights into the latest military technology
Military conflicts, weaponry and exercises
Personnel interviewsSister publications include Air International, Air Enthusiast, Airliner World, Airports International, and FlyPast.All Saints' Church, Stamford
All Saints' Church, Stamford is a parish church in the Church of England, situated in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. The parish includes St John the Baptist's Church which is now redundant.Blackstones F.C.
Blackstones Football Club is a football club based in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. They are currently members of the United Counties League Division One and play at Lincoln Road. Their kit consists of Lincoln green (Lister Blackstone had Brunswick Green engines) and black shirts with black shorts.Burghley Horse Trials
The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials is an annual three-day event held at Burghley House near Stamford, Lincolnshire, England, currently in early September. Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials is classified by the FEI as one of the six leading three-day events in the world (the others being the Badminton Horse Trials, the Rolex Kentucky Three Day, the Australian International Three Day Event, the Luhmühlen Horse Trials and the Étoiles de Pau). It has competition at CCI***** (five star) level. The prize for first place is currently £95,000. Prize money is given down to 20th place.
Burghley is also one of the three events in the Grand Slam of Eventing.
Run in conjunction with the event since 1990 is the Burghley Young Event Horse final, which judges 4 and 5 year old horses on their potential as future Olympic mounts.Military intervention against ISIL aerial order of battle
This is the Military intervention against ISIL aerial order of battle, which lists the American forces and allies aerial assets that have taken part in the Military intervention against ISIL between June 2014 and the present day.New College Stamford
New College Stamford is a further education college on Drift Road in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. It opened as Stamford Technical College in 1967.
It is now a general further education college that provides full-time and part-time academic and vocational courses.St Martin's Church, Stamford
St Martin's Church, Stamford, is a parish church in the Church of England located in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. The area of the town south of the River Welland was in Northamptonshire until 1889 and is called Stamford Baron or St Martin's.Stamford East railway station
Stamford East railway station was the Stamford and Essendine Railway station in Water Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire. The line was worked by the Great Northern Railway but retained its independence until 1886, when the GNR took the line on perpetual lease.Stamford High School, Lincolnshire
Stamford High School is an English girls' Independent School situated in the market town of Stamford, Lincolnshire, England, situated on High Street, St Martin's.Stamford Welland Academy
Stamford Welland Academy (formerly Stamford Queen Eleanor School) is a coeducational secondary school with academy status, located in Stamford in the English county of Lincolnshire.Stamford Queen Eleanor School was formed in the late 1980s after the dissolution of the town's two comprehensive schools - Fane and Exeter. Previously a community school administered by Lincolnshire County Council, Stamford Queen Eleanor School converted to academy status on 1 November 2011 but continues to coordinate with Lincolnshire County Council for admissions. In 2014 the school became a sponsored academy under the Cambridge Meridian Academies Trust and was renamed Stamford Welland Academy. In 2017 Ofsted rated the school as “good” in all areas.Stamford Welland Academy offers GCSEs, BTECs and OCR Nationals as programmes of study for pupils.
Overnight vandalism at this school on 18th May 2019 wrecked thousands of man-hours of craft work by model railway enthusiasts before the
Market Deeping Model Railway Club's annual show could take place. See the "Rutland and Stamford Mercury" newspaper report by Suzanne Moon on the same date for the report and pictures. Four youths were apprehended inside by police.
|Railway lines in Stamford|
|Boroughs or districts|