The river rises within West Townsend, Massachusetts, at the juncture of Walker Brook, Locke Brook, and Willard Brook. Walker and Locke Brooks rise within Greenville, New Ipswich, and Mason, New Hampshire, while Willard Brook rises in Ashby, Massachusetts. The Squannacook flows east and southeast through Townsend and West Groton, Massachusetts, and joins the Nashua River in wetlands just east of Woodsville. The river is dammed three times in Townsend and twice in West Groton. Its watershed covers 73 square miles (190 km2), of which 18% is permanently protected. It has been designated an Outstanding Resource Water.
There has been a conversion of one of the former mills on the Groton portion of the river. The former E.H. Sampson Leather Board Mill became a senior citizen/ nursing home. Riverside is located next to West Groton Square.
Belle Isle Marsh Reservation is an urban nature preserve and public recreation area containing mostly coastal wetlands. The Reservation includes the last remnant within Boston of the salt marshes that were once prevalent along the Massachusetts Bay shoreline. The marsh is home to a wide variety of saltmarsh plants, marine life, and birds. The reservation is managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation.Charles River Peninsula
The Charles River Peninsula is a 30-acre (12 ha) nature preserve in Needham, Massachusetts owned and managed by the Trustees of Reservations. The Charles River turns nearly 180 degrees, creating the peninsula. A 20-acre (8 ha) field on the peninsula has been farmed for roughly a century. The original acreage was given in 1960; additional land was given in 1994.Copicut Woods
Copicut Woods is a nature reserve and forest located in Fall River, Massachusetts. The property was acquired by The Trustees of Reservations in 2002.Fall River Heritage State Park
Fall River Heritage State Park is a history-themed public recreation area on the Taunton River in Fall River, Massachusetts. The state park encompasses 14 acres (5.7 ha) beside the Charles M. Braga Jr. Memorial Bridge on Battleship Cove, home of the World War II battleship USS Massachusetts. The park is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.Groton Leatherboard Company
The Groton Leatherboard Company is a historic former factory complex at 6 W. Main Street in West Groton, Massachusetts. It manufactured leatherboard, an artificial leather made by pulping and compressing scrap leather, waste paper and wood pulp, but went out of business. The structure has since been renovated and adapted into senior housing called RiverCourt Residences. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
The factory was built in 1916 on the site of an earlier saw and grist mill, which operated by waterpower from the Squannacook River. The original mill was established by the Tarbell family, a name prominent in Groton history since its settlement. The present complex's access road is flanked by brick houses built by brothers of that family; the Col. Abel Tarbell House is today a bed-and-breakfast, while the Asa Tarbell House is a mixed-use annex of the River Court senior housing facility. In 1862, artist Edmund C. Tarbell was born in the latter.Hemlock Gorge Reservation
Hemlock Gorge Reservation is a state-owned, public recreation area and urban wild comprising 16 acres (6.5 ha) on the Charles River in Newton and Needham, Massachusetts. The reservation is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.List of rivers of Massachusetts
List of rivers in Massachusetts (U.S. state).
All Massachusetts rivers flow to the Atlantic Ocean. The list is arranged by drainage basin from north to south, with respective tributaries indented under each larger stream's name, arranged travelling upstream along the larger stream.Massachusetts Route 13
Route 13 is a 14.1-mile (22.69 km) long north–south highway in the north-central region of the U.S. state of Massachusetts.Mountain Meadow Preserve
Mountain Meadow Preserve is a 176-acre (71 ha) open space preserve located in the Berkshires and Green Mountains of northwest Massachusetts and adjacent Vermont in the towns of Williamstown and Pownal. The property, acquired in 1998 by the land conservation non-profit organization The Trustees of Reservations, includes highland meadows, wetlands, forested hills, and 4 miles (6.4 km) of trails.
Located on Mason Hill (a sub-peak of The Dome), the preserve is open to hiking, cross-country skiing, and similar passive pursuits. Views from the property include Mount Greylock and the Taconic Mountains to the west. Trailheads are located on Mason Road in Williamstown and White Oaks Road in Pownal.Nahant Beach Reservation
Nahant Beach Reservation is a protected coastal reservation covering 67 acres (27 ha) of beach and recreational areas in the town of Nahant, Massachusetts. Nahant Road, formerly known as Nahant Beach Boulevard when it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003, offers access to 7,000-foot-long (2,100 m) Long Beach on the Atlantic Ocean side to the east. The reservation includes a boat ramp with access to Lynn Harbor and shares athletic fields with Lynn Shore Reservation in the area around Nahant Rotary, a traffic circle at the reservation's northern end. The reservation is part of the Metropolitan Park System of Greater Boston.Nashua River
The Nashua River, 37.5 miles (60.4 km) long, is a tributary of the Merrimack River in Massachusetts and New Hampshire in the United States. It is formed in eastern Worcester County, Massachusetts, by junction of its north and south branches near Lancaster, and flows generally north-northeast past Groton to join the Merrimack at Nashua, New Hampshire. The Nashua River Watershed occupies a major portion of north-central Massachusetts and a much smaller portion of southern New Hampshire.
The north branch rises west of Fitchburg and Westminster. It flows about 30 miles (48 km) generally southeast past Fitchburg, and joins the south branch about 5 miles (8.0 km) below its issuance from the Wachusett Reservoir.Pittsfield State Forest
Pittsfield State Forest is an 11,000-acre (4,500 ha) Massachusetts state forest located in the town of Pittsfield and managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. The forest is the location of Berry Pond, which sitting atop Berry Mountain at an elevation of 2,150 feet (660 m) is the highest natural body of water in the state.Popponesset Peninsula
Popponesset Peninsula is a spit of land in Cape Cod, Massachusetts which extends from the southwestern shore of Popponesset Bay and separates it from Nantucket Sound.
The peninsula is now significantly shorter than seen in the Barnstable County survey of 1880. Portions of the shore have been stabilized with riprap to deter further erosion. Most of this work was done immediately after Hurricane Bob which in 1992 had opened an inlet through the beach. Much of the peninsula is occupied by Popponesset Beach and the remainder is largely residential. The peninsula is home to conservation projects that prevent disturbance of the piping plover - an endangered species of bird. At one point there was also a small convenience store on the beach whose remains can still be seen on the beach in the form of four large pilings driven into the sand.Rumney Marsh Reservation
Rumney Marsh Reservation is a Massachusetts state park occupying over 600 acres (240 ha) in the town of Saugus and city of Revere. The salt marsh is located within the Saugus and Pines River estuary and provides habitat for many different migratory birds and marine life. The park is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.Sampsons Island
Sampsons Island is a 15-acre (6.1 ha) uninhabited, undeveloped barrier island at the mouth of Cotuit Harbor in Barnstable, Massachusetts. It is the location of the Massachusetts Audubon Society's Sampsons Island Wildlife Sanctuary, and it forms part of the Sampsons Island/Dead Neck Island barrier beach system. The island is only accessible by private boat, and is used for recreation and wildlife viewing and preservation.As a barrier island, Sampsons Island and Dead Neck Island protect Cotuit Harbor and nearby coastal areas. The island is a nesting site for piping plovers, least terns, and common terns and a habitat for many other shore birds. It is designated an Important Bird Area. Access to the island is limited during nesting season.Squannacook River Dam
The Squanacook River Dam is just south of Groton Road between Groton and Shirley in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. It is one of five dams on the Squannacook River, which forms the boundary between Groton and Shirley.Squantum Point Park
Squantum Point Park is a state-owned, public recreation area located on the Squantum peninsula of Quincy, Massachusetts, United States. The park was created on the site of the former Squantum Naval Air Station, which is preserved in a 2,700-foot-long (820 m) strip of runway, and the former dockworks of the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation. The park is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation and is associated with the development of the Neponset River Reservation.Townsend Harbor, Massachusetts
Townsend Harbor is a village in Townsend, Massachusetts, containing Harbor Pond dammed from the Squannacook River. At this location Jonas Spaulding and his brother Waldo started a mill in 1873 that made leatherboard (composed of leather scraps and wood pulp). They did business as Spaulding Brothers. Their family business expanded to locations in New Hampshire and western New York.Jonas Spaulding expanded further into leatherboard manufacturing, founding a second mill at Milton, New Hampshire, around 1893. This allowed Jonas to bring his three grown sons: Leon C., Huntley N., and Rolland H. Spaulding, into the business in a second company organized as J. Spaulding and Sons. The senior Spaulding started construction of a third leatherboard mill at North Rochester, New Hampshire. It began production in 1900 shortly after his death.
The three Spaulding sons were successful and acquired the Spaulding Brothers mill in Townsend Harbor in 1902, making it part of J. Spaulding and Sons. They later moved their corporate offices to Rochester, New Hampshire. The three brothers continued to expand the business, building a vulcanized fibre mill in Tonawanda, New York in 1911, and a fourth leatherboard mill at a second location in Milton in 1913.
They continued the company as J. Spaulding and Sons until about 1924, when they changed its name to the Spaulding Fibre Company to reflect its product. The corporate offices were moved to Tonawanda, New York, as that plant became the biggest operation. It reached its peak of production and employment in the 1960s, after having added product lines in Spauldite (a competitor for Bakelite) and a fiberglass tube.
Operation of the leatherboard mill at Townsend Harbor ceased in 1957, after the last two surviving siblings, Huntley Spaulding and his married sister Marion S. Potter, died. The two siblings had previously created a charitable trust that took over the Spaulding Fibre Company after their deaths and sold off all assets within 15 years.World's End (Hingham)
World's End is a 251-acre (1 km²) park and conservation area located on a peninsula in Hingham, Massachusetts. The peninsula is bordered by the Weir River to the North and East and Hingham Harbor (part of Hingham Bay, and Boston Harbor) to the West. The land is composed of four drumlins (Pine Hill, Planter's Hill, and the double drumlins of World's End proper) harboring tree groves interspersed with fields attractive to butterflies and grassland-nesting birds, and offers 4.5 miles of walking paths with views of the Boston skyline.
The adjacent neighborhood, an upper-middle class residential subdivision with several waterfront homes, is also colloquially called World's End.
|Gulf of Maine|
|Long Island Sound|
|Upper New York Bay|