The Spicket River is a 17.7-mile-long (28.5 km) river located in New Hampshire and Massachusetts in the United States. It is a left tributary of the Merrimack River, part of the Gulf of Maine watershed. It is sometimes spelled "Spickett".
The Spicket River begins at the outlet of Island Pond in Derry, New Hampshire, and flows south into Salem, New Hampshire, passing through the Arlington Mill Reservoir. The river continues through Salem, encountering copious suburban development, and enters the city of Methuen, Massachusetts, where it drops nearly 100 feet over a series of dams on its way to the Merrimack River in Lawrence.
Arlington Mill Reservoir, known locally as Arlington Pond, is a 269-acre (109 ha) impoundment located in Rockingham County in southern New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Salem. It is located along the Spicket River, a small stream that flows south to the Merrimack River in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
The lake is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, chain pickerel, horned pout, white perch, black crappie, and bluegill. There is no public boat access.Arlington Mills Historic District
The Arlington Mills Historic District encompasses a major 19th century textile manufacturing complex in Lawrence and Methuen, Massachusetts. Developed between 1865 and 1925, it was one of the state's largest textile operations at its height. At the time of hits listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, the mill complex was owned by Malden Mills.Ballard State Forest
Ballard State Forest is a state forest of New Hampshire located in Derry, Rockingham County, in the southeast part of the state. The area of the park is 71 acres (0.29 km2). It includes the Taylor Mill Historic Site, an old sawmill, and Ballard Pond, which provides water for the mill. The forest is located on Island Pond Road, east of the downtown of Derry. The pond drains via Taylor Brook and Island Pond into the Spicket River, a tributary of the Merrimack River.
The name of the park is due to the former property owner, Ernest Ballard. In 1939, he bought the land. By that time, the original mill was scrapped, and Ballard bought a similar mill, and subsequently spent two years together with his wife restoring the mill and replacing missing parts. In 1953, he donated the mill and the land to the state of New Hampshire.Canobie Lake
Canobie Lake is a 375-acre (1.52 km2) body of water located in Rockingham County in southern New Hampshire, United States, in the towns of Salem and Windham. It is approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) long, and on average 0.4 miles (0.64 km) wide, though two arms of the lake combine to produce a width of 1 mile (1.6 km) at the lake's center. Canobie Lake Park, an amusement park, is located on the lake's east shore. The lake is the water supply for the town of Salem, New Hampshire.
Canobie Lake is predominantly spring-fed. Aside from the amusement park, the shores of the lake are primarily lined with houses. Water from the lake flows via Policy Brook to the Spicket River and thence to the Merrimack River in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
The lake is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, brown bullhead, black crappie, rainbow trout, brook trout, bluegill, and pumpkinseed.David Nevins Jr.
David Nevins Jr. (July 30, 1839 in Boston, Massachusetts – August 24, 1898 in Germany) was a wealthy Yankee merchant in the city of Methuen, Massachusetts during the industrial boom of the late 19th century.Double-arch Sandstone Bridge
The Double-arch Sandstone Bridge or more commonly known as the Sands Bridge, is a historic dry stone arch bridge over the Spicket River on Hampshire Road in Methuen, Massachusetts. Built without mortar between the stones, parts of it date back to 1735. It was used to handle traffic between Methuen and Salem, New Hampshire.House at 113-115 Center Street
113-115 Center Street is a historic two-family house in the Arlington Mills district of southern Methuen, Massachusetts. Built about 1880, it is a rare surviving example of the type of worker housing built early in the expansion of the Arlington Mills. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.House at 13 Annis Street
13 Annis Street is a historic mill worker house in Methuen, Massachusetts. Built about 1880, it is a typical small residence built for workers at the nearby Arlington Mills. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, but has lost many of its exterior decorative details since.Island Pond (Rockingham County, New Hampshire)
Island Pond (sometimes referred to locally as Big Island Pond) is a 532-acre (215 ha) water body located in Rockingham County in southern New Hampshire, in the towns of Derry, Hampstead and Atkinson. The pond is near the head of the Spicket River watershed, which feeds the Merrimack River in Lawrence, Massachusetts. The pond was formed from the merger of two smaller bodies of water in 1878, when a dam raised the water level by 8.5 feet.The pond is named for Governor's Island, a 200-acre (80 ha) island that lies within it. The island in turn is named for Benning Wentworth, colonial governor of New Hampshire, who built a summer residence on the north end of the island. A smaller island is named after the Native American chief Escumbuit.The lake is classified as a cold and warmwater fishery and contains largemouth and smallmouth bass, brook trout, rainbow trout, brown trout, chain pickerel, horned pout, white perch, black crappie, and bluegill.List of rivers of Massachusetts
List of rivers in Massachusetts (U.S. state).
All Massachusetts rivers flow to the Atlantic Ocean. The list is arranged by drainage basin from north to south, with respective tributaries indented under each larger stream's name, arranged travelling upstream along the larger stream.List of rivers of New Hampshire
This is a list of rivers and significant streams in the U.S. state of New Hampshire.
All watercourses named "River" (freshwater or tidal) are listed here, as well as other streams which are either subject to the New Hampshire Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act or are more than 10 miles (16 km) long. New Hampshire rivers and streams qualify for state shoreland protection (and are listed here in bold) if they are fourth-order or larger water bodies, based on the Strahler method of stream order classification.Merrimack River
The Merrimack River (or Merrimac River, an occasional earlier spelling) is a 117-mile-long (188 km) river in the northeastern United States. It rises at the confluence of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers in Franklin, New Hampshire, flows southward into Massachusetts, and then flows northeast until it empties into the Gulf of Maine at Newburyport. From Pawtucket Falls in Lowell, Massachusetts, onward, the Massachusetts–New Hampshire border is roughly calculated as the line three miles north of the river.
The Merrimack is an important regional focus in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The central-southern part of New Hampshire and most of northeast Massachusetts is known as the Merrimack Valley.
Several U.S. naval ships have been named USS Merrimack and USS Merrimac in honor of this river. The river is perhaps best known for the early American literary classic A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers by Henry David Thoreau.Methuen, Massachusetts
Methuen is a statutory city in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 47,255 at the 2010 census. Methuen lies along the northwestern edge of Essex County, just east of Middlesex County and just south of Rockingham County, New Hampshire. The irregularly-shaped town is bordered by Haverhill to the northeast, North Andover to the east, Lawrence and Andover to the south, Dracut (Middlesex County) to the west, Pelham, New Hampshire (Hillsborough County) to the northwest, and Salem, New Hampshire (Rockingham County) to the north. Methuen is located 30 miles (48 km) north-northwest of Boston and 25 miles (40 km) south-southeast of Manchester, New Hampshire.Methuen Rail Trail
The Methuen Rail Trail is a paved walking and biking trail in Methuen and Lawrence, Massachusetts, in the United States. It is 2.4 miles (3.9 km) long, measuring from Manchester Street in Lawrence to the New Hampshire state border. The abandoned rail path continues in both directions; south of Manchester Street, the path is abandoned and walkable, although with no indication of it being a trail, while to the north, the trail continues as the Salem Rail Trail in Salem, New Hampshire.
Along the trail, there are marshes, fences, houses, and a few businesses on the adjacent streets. Birds of various types, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, turtles, beavers, and otters can be found on or next to the trail.The trail was gravel until early 2019. The portion of the trail in New Hampshire is still gravel; the state line can easily be seen by the change in material.National Register of Historic Places listings in Methuen, Massachusetts
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Methuen, Massachusetts.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Methuen, Massachusetts, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in an online map.Essex County, of which Methuen is a part, is the location of 471 properties and districts listed on the National Register. Methuen itself is the location of 45 of these properties and districts.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted July 12, 2019.North Canal Historic District
The North Canal Historic District of Lawrence, Massachusetts, encompasses the historic industrial heart of the city. It is centered on the North Canal and the Great Stone Dam, which provided the waterpower for its many mill complexes. The canal was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, while the district was first listed in 1984, and then expanded slightly in 2009.The city of Lawrence was founded by industrialist Abbott Lawrence and the associates of the Essex Company as a model industrial city. In 1845 they company acquired land from then towns of Methuen and Andover and began construction on the North Canal and the Great Stone Dam. The work included dredging and building out of "new land", and effectively created a small island between the Merrimack River and the canal, whose outlet is at the mouth of the Spicket River. Work on these two major features was completed in 1848, and development of the city, which formally incorporated in 1853, proceeded from there. The historic district encompasses, in addition to the canal and the dam, the mill-related buildings on the island and on the north side of the canal, as well as a few buildings that front on Methuen and Union Streets, or the connecting side streets. The 2009 expansion of the district, included a single building, the Morehouse Bakery building at 5-9 Mill Street.Pleasant–High Historic District
The Pleasant–High Historic District encompasses the earliest area of non-agricultural residential development in Methuen, Massachusetts. It encompasses houses along High and Pleasant Streets from just east of Broadway to Vine Street, as well as a few that face on adjoining streets. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984; on its western boundary it abuts the Spicket Falls Historic District.
Prior to 1800 Methuen, which then included part of what is now Lawrence, was a predominantly rural agricultural town. Its primary industrial facility consisted of a gristmill and cotton mill, located at the falls of the Spicket River in what is now the town center. The construction in 1806 of the Turnpike (now Broadway) led to development of a housing district to its east, on a rise overlooking the area where the falls and mills were located. By 1810 Pleasant Street and High Street (originally called George Street) had been laid out, and the earliest Federal style houses, at 36 High Street (c. 1820) and 18-20 Pleasant Street (c. 1810), soon followed.The mills were expanded in 1826 and again in 1855, bringing development in the residential area to provide housing for mill workers, and the location of the First Congregational Church (separately listed in 1978) at 30 Pleasant Street in 1832 cemented the area as the primary center of the town. After 1855 a number of Second Empire houses were built in the area, and scattered exemplars of other 19th century architectural styles followed. In 1890 mill owner David Nevins plotted out a subdivision of about 100 plots in the area of Gage and Stevens Streets, from which a number of Queen Anne, Shingle, Georgian Revival, and Colonial Revival properties (built between 1890 and 1910) survive. The principal public space in the district is the site of the American Civil War memorial, located in the triangular area where Pleasant and Charles Streets meet.Salem, New Hampshire
Salem is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 28,776 at the 2010 census. Being located on Interstate 93 as the first town in New Hampshire, which lacks any state sales tax, Salem has grown into a commercial hub, anchored by the Mall at Rockingham Park. Other major sites include the Canobie Lake Park, a large amusement park, and America's Stonehenge, a stone structure of disputed origins. It is the former home of Rockingham Park, a horse racetrack. The Sununu political family hails from Salem, including former New Hampshire governor and White House Chief of Staff John H. Sununu, and his sons John E. Sununu, a former U.S. senator, and Chris Sununu, current New Hampshire governor.Spicket Falls Historic District
The Spicket Falls Historic District encompasses the historic industrial and commercial heart of Methuen, Massachusetts, and one of the lower Merrimack River's best-preserved 19th century mill complexes. It is centered on the falls of the Spicket River, from which the 19th century textile mills of Methuen derived their power. The historic district, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, includes commercial and civic buildings in and near Gaunt Square, the heart of the city, and along both sides of the Spicket River between Gaunt Square and the Boston and Maine Railroad tracks south of the river. It abuts the residential Pleasant-High Historic District, which lies to its east.The falls of the Spicket River were the site of small scale industrial works in the 18th century, but the area did not begin to take shape as the town center until larger-scale development began in the 1820s. The oldest buildings that survive are brick buildings constructed in 1825 and 1826, when the main "A" mill was built. The complex was expanded in the 1840s with the construction of a wood frame cotton processing mill and a brick warehouse near the railroad. Industrial David Nevins added six more buildings and a new dam between 1879 and 1882.The city center's growth along Broadway and the Gaunt Square area mirrored the expansion of the mills over time. The area had long been a stop on the north-south route, and hotels and taverns dating from the middle 19th century survive, including the Masonic Hall, which was formerly a hotel. The old brick town hall, from whose parking lot fine views of the Spicket valley are seen, was built in 1853 with Greek Revival styling. Notable early 20th century additions to the area include the central fire station (1899, Romanesque Revival), the Oddfellows' Hall (1904, Renaissance Revival), and the 1909 railroad station, built in Queen Anne style with funds donated by philanthropist Edward Searles.
|Gulf of Maine|
|Long Island Sound|
|Upper New York Bay|
|Gulf of Maine|
|Long Island Sound|