South Yorkshire Sports Stadium was a greyhound racing and speedway stadium on Station Road in Wombwell, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire. It was one of two greyhound tracks in the town; the other was called the Wombwell Greyhound Stadium.
|South Yorkshire Sports Stadium|
|Location||Station Road, Wombwell, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire|
The South Yorkshire Sports Stadium was constructed north of Station Road, south of Bulling Dike and accessed on a small road called Kent Row at the time.
It opened unofficially on Saturday 17 April 1928 with 3,000 spectators raising £15 (the nights entrance fees) for local charities. One week later on Saturday 21 April 1928 the stadium officially opened charging 1/-, 2/- or 3/- for the relevant enclosures. Speedway followed in 1929.
The greyhound racing was independent (not affiliated to the sports governing body the National Greyhound Racing Club) and was known as a flapping track which was the nickname given to independent tracks. The track was a popular venue with totalisator turnover peaking in 1946 at £64,255.
The greyhound racing finished during May 1956.
Speedway was held sporadically from 1929-1965; the team were known as the Wombwell Colliers.
The stadium was demolished and later became the Valley Road industrial area.
English greyhound tracks