South Kingstown is a town in Washington County, Rhode Island, United States. The population was 30,639 at the 2010 census. South Kingstown is the largest town in Washington County and is the largest town (land and water area) in the state of Rhode Island.
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
|Town of South Kingstown|
Location of South Kingstown in Washington County, Rhode Island
|• Town Council||Margaret M.
Bryant C. Da Cruz
|• Town Manager||Stephen A. Alfred|
|• Total||79.8 sq mi (206.6 km2)|
|• Land||57.1 sq mi (147.9 km2)|
|• Water||22.7 sq mi (58.7 km2)|
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
|• Total||30,639 inhabitants|
|• Density||536.6/sq mi (207.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1220090|
The town of South Kingstown was formed in 1722 when the former Kings Towne was split into two parts, the other being North Kingstown. South Kingstown was incorporated in 1723. In 1888 a narrow strip of land running along the eastern bank of the Pettaquamscutt River to the shore of Narragansett Bay was separated from South Kingstown to form the town of Narragansett.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 79.8 square miles (206.6 km²), of which, 57.1 square miles (147.9 km²) of it is land and 22.7 square miles (58.7 km²) of it (28.43%) is water.
South Kingstown includes the villages of Kingston, West Kingston, Wakefield, Peace Dale, Usquepaug, Snug Harbor, Tuckertown, East Matunuck, Matunuck, Green Hill, and Perryville. Peace Dale and Wakefield are treated as a census-designated place called Wakefield-Peacedale. Ocean Ridge, Indian Lake, Curtis Corner, and Torrey Hill are among the other small areas that are regarded as unique localities, although official distinctions are less clear. Middlebridge, located on the west side of Narrow River, is a densely populated neighborhood in the town.
South Kingstown is bordered to the south by the Atlantic Ocean.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 27,921 people, 9,268 households, and 6,394 families residing in the town. The population density was 489.0 people per square mile (188.8/km²). There were 11,291 housing units at an average density of 197.8/sq mi (76.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 91.11% White, 1.57% African American, 1.61% Native American, 3.08% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.73% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.77% of the population.
There were 9,268 households out of which 34.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.4% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.0% were non-families. 24.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 19.8% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $56,325, and the median income for a family was $67,912. Males had a median income of $50,519 versus $31,087 for females. The per capita income for the town was $23,827. About 3.1% of families and 5.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.9% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
Art galleries include the Hera Gallery (Wakefield), South County Art Association (Kingston), and sometimes the Courthouse Center for the Arts (or CCA, West Kingston). Theaters include The Contemporary Theatre (Wakefield), the Theatre-by-the-Sea (Matunuck), and the CCA. The sole cinema is South County Cinema 8 (Wakefield), which replaced the independently run Campus Cinema (Wakefield) in the early 2000s. There are numerous venues for music and other entertainment, including the University of Rhode Island's Ryan Center and smaller venues such as Lily Pads (Peace Dale), and the CCA.
Arts and cultural education is also offered through community centers like The Guild and the Senior Center in Wakefield. There are also three public libraries which are located in Kingston, Matunuck, and Peace Dale.
The Ocean State Waves of the historic New England Collegiate Baseball League play their home games at Old Mountain Field located at 875 Kingstown Rd.
South Kingstown is the location of the deadly Great Swamp Fight that occurred during King Philip's War in 1675. The battle site is commemorated by a rough granite shaft about twenty feet high. Around the mound on which the shaft stands are four granite markers engraved with the names of the colonies which took part in the battle. South Kingstown is home to 31 sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 4 of which are historic districts. A driving tour is described by the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society.
South Kingstown was previously governed by town meetings, like many other New England towns, until recently when it switched to a council-manager government in an attempt to keep order to the government of a town with about 30,000 residents.
All 5 seats on the town council are at-large seats that are up for election every 2 years, with no term limits. After each election, the newly elected council members elect two of their own as president and vice president. Quite often (but not always, and not currently), these are the two highest vote-getters in the previous election. The current president is Abel G. Collins (I), and the current vice president is Margaret M. 'Meg' Healy (D).
The town's citizens also elect a 7-member school committee. Committee members are elected to staggered 4-year terms, with 4 seats typically up for election in U.S. Presidential election years and the other 3 typically up for election in midterm election years. The current chair is Raissa Mosher (D) and the current vice chair is Maureen Cotter (D).
Law enforcement within the Town of South Kingstown is maintained by the South Kingstown Police Department, located in the village of Peace Dale. The Chief of Police is Chief Joseph Geaber, Jr.
South Kingstown fire protection is provided by the Union Fire District of South Kingstown. The UFD is a 100% Volunteer department that provides fire suppression and prevention services to the Town of South Kingstown.
South Kingstown has over ten miles of undisturbed beaches. South Kingstown has also recently made an upgrade to their town's parks and recreation by building the South Kingstown Recreation Center located at 30 St. Dominic Rd.
U.S. Route 1 is a 2,369-mile-long (3,813 km) U.S. Numbered Highway with 12.3 miles passing through the southern and eastern portions of the Town of South Kingstown. It is a divided highway and is split into 2 sections within the town. It enters South Kingstown's southwest at its border with Town of Charlestown and runs northeasterly for 7.7 miles to the town's border with the Town of Narragansett. The route continues again from Narragansett and runs north for a distance 4.6 miles to the town's border with the Town of North Kingstown, running concurrently with Route 138 for the last 0.3 miles. Along its route it intersects with Route 1A, Route 108, Route 110, and Route 138.
From the town's border with Charlestown to the intersection with Route 108, the highway is known as the Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry Highway. From the intersection with Route 108 to the town's border with North Kingstown, the highway is known as Tower Hill Road.
Route 1A is a 39.6-mile-long (63.7 km) state highway with 8.6 miles running through the Town of South Kingstown. For most of its route, it parallels U.S. Route 1 and can be divided into roughly 4 distinct sections.
The route enters South Kingstown from the southwestern at its border with the Town of Charlestown and travels through the village of Green Hill for 0.9 miles before intersecting with U.S. Route 1. This section of the route is known as Post Road. After a brief run on U.S. Route 1 North, a U-Turn is required to intersect with continue onto Route 1A. The second section begins from this intersection and runs 2.1 miles to its second intersection with U.S. Route 1 traveling through the village of Perryville. Along the route it intersects with Route 110. This section of the route is known as Post Road. After a brief run on U.S. Route 1 North, an exit to Route 1A is provided. The third section begins from the exit, it runs 1.15 miles running parallel to and eventually intersecting again with U.S. Route 1. This section of the route is known as Post Road. After a brief run on U.S. Route 1 North, a U-Turn is required to intersect with continue onto Route 1A. From this intersection, the fourth section runs for 2 miles to the routes intersection with Route 108. From there, the route turns right to run concurrently with Route 108 for 0.5 miles until the town's border with the Town of Narragansett. This section runs through the village of Wakefield. This section of the route from U.S. Route 1 to its intersection with South Road is known as Post Road. From its intersection with South Road to its intersection with Route 108 it is known as Main Street. Along its concurrency with Route 108 it is known as Kingstown Road.
Route 2 is a 36-mile-long (58 km) state highway with 9.6 miles running through the Town of South Kingstown. The route enters South Kingstown at its border with the Town of Richmond and runs north to the town's border with the Town of Exeter. Along its route, Route 2 intersects with Route 138. For its entire route in South Kingstown, it is known as South County Trail.
Route 108 is an 8.6-mile long state highway with 4 miles running through the Town of South Kingstown. The route begins at its northern terminus in the village of Kingston at its intersection with Route 138 and runs south to the town's border with the Town of Narragansett, running concurrently with Route 1A for the last 0.5 miles. It is a major local route between the University of Rhode Island and the beaches of Narragansett and along the route passes through the villages of Peace Dale and Wakefield. For the entire route through South Kingstown, it is known as Kingstown Road.
Route 110 is a 6.1-mile-long (9.8 km) state highway running entirely within the Town of South Kingstown. Its northern terminus is with State Route 138 in the village of Kingston and its southern terminus is with U.S Route 1 in the village of Perryville. For the entire route through South Kingstown, it is known as Ministerial Road. A granite marker at the corner of Curtis Corner Road commemorates the grant of 300 acres (120 ha) for income to the ministry.
Route 138 is a 45.2-mile-long (72.7 km) state highway with 8.9 miles running through the Town of South Kingstown. The route enters South Kingstown from the west at its border with the Town of Richmond, traveling 8.6 miles until it intersects with U.S. Route 1 where the route turns to the north to run concurrently with U.S. Route 1 for its last 0.3 miles, exiting the town at its border with the Town of North Kingstown. Along its route, Route 138 intersects with Route 2, Route 110, Route 108, and U.S. Route 1 and passes through the villages of Usquepaug, West Kingston, and Kingston. Route 138 is a major road connecting the South Kingstown and its tenant University of Rhode Island with Interstate 95 and the Narragansett Bay communities of Jamestown, and Newport. It is also the primary route to the historic Kingston Station, a stop along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. The section of Route 138 from the border with Richmond to its intersection with Route 108 is known as Kingstown Road. From its intersection of Route 108 to its intersection with U.S. Route 1, it is known as Mooresfield Road. For its concurrency with U.S. Route 1, it is known as Tower Hill Road.
Rail service is provided by Amtrak via Kingston Station, which is located in the village of West Kingston. Kingston is a stop along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor and is serviced by their Northeast Regional train service. The Northeast Regional has a northern terminus with Boston's South Station with a major stop en route in Providence, and has a southern terminus with Washington's Union Station with major stops en route in New Haven, New York City, Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore.
Public transportation in South Kingstown is provided by the statewide Rhode Island Public Transit Authority or RIPTA. The following routes service South Kingstown:
Electricity services are provided by National Grid plc.
The Chipuxet River is a river in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. It flows approximately 8.5 miles (13.7 km). There are two dams along the river's length.The river is used as the main drinking water supply for the University of Rhode Island. Due to heavy water demands on the river, it has been known to run dry at times.Elisha Reynolds Potter
Elisha Reynolds Potter (November 5, 1764 – September 26, 1835) was a statesman in the Federalist Party from Kingston, Rhode Island, who served several times as the Speaker in the Rhode Island State Assembly.Erasmus D. Campbell
Erasmus Daniel Campbell (January 11, 1811 – April 16, 1873) was an American Democratic politician who served as the 6th Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin, and 2nd Mayor of La Crosse, Wisconsin. In historical sources, he was sometimes referred to as "E. D. Campbell." In at least one source, he was incorrectly referred to as "Edward Campbell."Fred Tootell
Frederick Delmont "Fred" Tootell (September 9, 1902 – September 29, 1964) was an American athlete who competed mainly in the hammer throw. He competed for the United States in the 1924 Summer Olympics held in Paris in the hammer throw where he won the gold medal.Hale House (South Kingstown, Rhode Island)
The Edward Everett Hale House (New Sybaris; The Red House) is a historic house at 2625A Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry Highway in South Kingstown, Rhode Island. It was commissioned in 1873 by businessman and historian William B. Weeden and designed by architects C. Maxson & Company of Westerly. William Weeden build the house for Edward Everett Hale as a summer home for Hale and his family of artists for several decades from the 1870s to the 1910s. The house and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.Henry Marchant
Henry Marchant (April 9, 1741 – August 30, 1796) was American lawyer from Newport, Rhode Island and United States federal judge. He was a delegate to the Continental Congress from 1777 to 1779, and was a signer of the Articles of Confederation for Rhode Island.Kingston, Rhode Island
Kingston is a village and a census-designated place in the town of South Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States, and the site of the main campus of the University of Rhode Island. Much of the village center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Kingston Village Historic District. It was originally known as Little Rest.National Register of Historic Places listings in South Kingstown, Rhode Island
This is a list of Registered Historic Places in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted June 14, 2019.Ocean State Waves
The Ocean State Waves are a collegiate summer baseball team based in South Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States. The team, a member of the New England Collegiate Baseball League, plays its home games at Old Mountain Field in South Kingstown.Pawcatuck River
The Pawcatuck River is a river in the US states of Rhode Island and Connecticut flowing approximately 34 miles (55 km). There are eight dams along the river's length. USS Pawcatuck was named after the river.Peace Dale, Rhode Island
Peace Dale (also spelled Peacedale) is a village in the town of South Kingstown, Rhode Island. Together with the village of Wakefield, it is treated by the U.S. Census as a component of the census-designated place identified as Wakefield-Peacedale, Rhode Island.
The Peace Dale Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district in 1987. The historic district is roughly bounded by Kersey Rd., Oakwoods Dr., Kingstown Rd., School, Church and Railroad Sts., and contains the historic core of the village.Pettaquamscutt River
The Pettaquamscutt River (also known as Narrow River) is a tidal extension of the Mattatuxet River in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. It flows approximately 6.3 miles (10.1 km). There are no dams along the river's length.Robert Hazard (Rhode Island)
Robert Hazard (12 September 1702 - 1751) was a deputy governor of the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.Samuel J. Potter
Samuel John Potter (June 29, 1753 – October 14, 1804) was a United States Senator from Rhode Island and was a prominent Country Party anti-Federalist leader.
Born in South Kingstown, Potter completed preparatory studies, studied law, and was admitted to the bar and practiced. He was deputy governor of Rhode Island from 1790 to 1799 (during which time the office was renamed lieutenant Governor) and again from 1800 to 1803. He was also a presidential elector in 1792 and 1796.
Potter was elected as a Democratic-Republican to the U.S. Senate and served from March 4, 1803, until his death in Washington, D.C. on October 14, 1804. Interment was in the family burial ground, Kingston (formerly Little Rest), Washington County, Rhode Island.Saugatucket River
The Saugatucket River is a river in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. It flows approximately 13 km (8 mi). There are three dams along the river's length.Usquepaug, Rhode Island
Usquepaug (or "Usquepaugh") is a village in the towns of Richmond and South Kingstown in Washington County, Rhode Island, United States, along the Usquepaug River and near the Usquepaug Road Historic District.WEAN-FM
WEAN-FM (99.7 FM, "News Talk 99.7 FM & AM 630 WPRO") is a radio station licensed to Wakefield-Peacedale, Rhode Island. The station is owned by Cumulus Media, and airs a news-talk format. WEAN-FM is a full-time simulcast of WPRO/630 in Providence, serving as WPRO's satellite in southern Rhode Island. Operations are based at WPRO's studios in East Providence.
Prior to becoming WEAN-FM on March 11, 2008; 99.7 was modern rock "99.7 The Edge" WUAE, later WDGE; hard rock "99.7X" WXEX; classic rock simulcast "The Hawk"; '80s simulcast "Z100" (as WZRA) & finally "The Score" (WSKO-FM), which broadcast a sports format that simulcast most programming from WSKO/790 (now WPRV).Wakefield, Rhode Island
Wakefield is a village in the town of South Kingstown, Rhode Island, and the commercial center of the town. Together with the village of Peace Dale, it is treated by the U.S. Census as a component of the census-designated place identified as Wakefield-Peacedale, Rhode Island. West Kingston, another South Kingstown village, was the traditional county seat of Washington County. Since 1991, the Washington County Courthouse has been in Wakefield. The Sheriff's Office which handles corrections is also in Wakefield.
The Wakefield village center along Main Street (old Boston Post Road) between Belmont Avenue and Columbia Street was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996 as Wakefield Historic District. The district is significant for being an early commercial and industrial center. The district includes 53 properties over an area of 400 acres (1.6 km2), which is separately listed on the National Register.
The Narragansett Times, a twice-weekly paper serving Narragansett and South Kingstown, is published in Wakefield.Wakefield-Peacedale, Rhode Island
Wakefield-Peacedale is a census-designated place (CDP) in the town of South Kingstown in Washington County, Rhode Island, United States that includes the villages of Peace Dale and Wakefield. The population was 8,468 at the 2000 census.
Municipalities and communities of Washington County, Rhode Island, United States
County seat: South Kingstown
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|