South Hampton, New Hampshire
|• Board of Selectmen||James Van Bokkelen, Chair|
|• Total||8.0 sq mi (20.7 km2)|
|• Land||7.9 sq mi (20.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2) 1.62%|
|Elevation||200 ft (61 m)|
|• Density||100/sq mi (39/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0873722|
South Hampton was one of the first towns granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth after the separation of the governorships of New Hampshire and Massachusetts in 1741. The border between the two colonies was fixed, and consequently South Hampton would be chartered in 1742 from former parts of Amesbury and Salisbury, Massachusetts. Over the years, the town lost territory to Hampton Falls, Seabrook and Newton, but gained territory from East Kingston in 1824.
At one time, the town was home to over 12 different religious sects. One of South Hampton's only members of the New Hampshire State Senate was Benjamin Barnard, who served from 1806-1808.
There is only one school in South Hampton. Called Barnard School, it was originally just a small room, but then a school was built across the street. It is home to K-8 students, and once they become high schoolers, they move on to Amesbury High School in Massachusetts.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 8.0 square miles (21 km2), of which 7.9 sq mi (20 km2) is land and 0.1 sq mi (0.26 km2) is water, comprising 1.62% of the town. South Hampton is drained by the Powwow River, part of the Merrimack River watershed. The highest point in town is the summit of Chair Hill, at 330 feet (100 m) above sea level, near the eastern end of town.
Attractions in South Hampton include Heron Pond Farm and Jewell Towne Vineyards.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 844 people, 301 households, and 244 families residing in the town. The population density was 107.2 people per square mile (41.4/km²). There were 308 housing units at an average density of 39.1 per square mile (15.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.99% White, 0.59% African American, 0.12% Asian, 0.47% Pacific Islander, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.36% of the population.
There were 301 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.1% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.9% were non-families. 13.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 28.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $63,750, and the median income for a family was $75,778. Males had a median income of $45,156 versus $30,625 for females. The per capita income for the town was $28,287. About 0.8% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.4% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Amesbury High School is a coeducational public high school in the city of Amesbury, Massachusetts, serving as the primary high school for students from Amesbury and, South Hampton, New Hampshire, along with also drawing some students from other parts of the lower Merrimack Valley region.
It is in the Amesbury Public Schools district, and serves grades 9 through 12. The school mascot is the Indian, the colors are red and white. The yearbook is called the Powwow. There are around 620 students, and almost 60 members of faculty and other staff.Capt. Jonathan Currier House
The Captain Jonathan Currier House is a historic house on Hillside Avenue in South Hampton, New Hampshire. Built about 1742, it is the oldest surviving house in Currierville, one of the early settlement areas in South Hampton. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Carolyn Coman
Carolyn Coman (born October 28, 1951) is an American writer best known for children's books. Her novels What Jamie Saw (1995) and Many Stones (2000) were among the runners-up for major annual awards by the American Library Association (ALA) and the National Book Foundation.Currier House
Currier House may refer to:
Currier House (Harvard College), Cambridge, Massachusetts
Currier House (Davenport, Iowa)
Currier House (Almont, Michigan)
Capt. Jonathan Currier House, South Hampton, New HampshireHighland Road Historic District
The Highland Road Historic District is a historic district encompassing a rural neighborhood in South Hampton, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. The historic farm estates which characterize the neighborhood date to the turn of the 18th century. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1983.The boundary of the district (according to the map included in the official NRHP nomination) extends from the junction of the Back River and Woodman Road northward along Woodman to the historic Brown Estate on Highland Road, then continues north to the Kensington border (the properties on the north side of Highland Road actually extend into Kensington). From here the boundary runs east to the northern boundaries of the historic Towle Estate, then south again to Towle's Corner on to the Back River again. From here the boundary runs along the river (roughly) westward, back to Woodman Road.The district encompasses eight farm properties, including well-preserved farmhouses dating from c. 1730 to c. 1800. Several of these houses are located on lots that are substantially similar to their 18th-century outlines, providing a significant link to the area's past. Three of the eight farmhouses were built before 1740, and most predate South Hampton's incorporation as a separate community. There is also a small stone foundation on the south side of Highland Road said to belong to an old schoolhouse, which does not appear in the NRHP nomination.
The present-day neighborhood within and immediately surrounding the district is colloquially called High Town.J. Warren Merrill
Joseph Warren Merrill (December 13, 1819 – November 12, 1889) was a Massachusetts politician who served as the Mayor of Cambridge, Massachusetts. He also served as the Chair of the Colby College Board of Trustees from 1885 until his death in 1889.Jacob Osgood
Jacob Osgood (16 March 1777 – 29 November 1844) was the founder of a 19th-century Christian sect in New Hampshire known as the Osgoodites.
Osgood was born in South Hampton, New Hampshire. At age 12, his family moved to Warner, New Hampshire, where, as a young adult, he married Miriam Stevens, with whom he had eight children.
Osgood became a farmer in Warner and was a member of the local Congregational Church. In the early 19th century, both Calvinism and Universalism were vying to become the dominant theological perspective among New England Congregationalists. Osgood was averse to both approaches and left the Congregational Church in 1805. He initially joined the Free Will Baptists, but by 1812 he had begun his own separate congregation.
Osgood taught his version of Christianity to others in the Congregationalist Church in Warner. He claimed to be a prophet who could heal physical deformities and illness through the laying on of hands. Thomas Hackett was Osgood's first disciple, and Osgood's following grew throughout New Hampshire in the 1820s. The first congregation of Osgoodites was established in Warner, with a second one of approximately thirty families being organized in Canterbury in the early 1820s. Osgood also had numerous followers in Mink Hill, Sutton, Bradford, Gilford, Gilmanton, South Hampton, and Newton. He also attracted followers from Amesbury, Newbury, and Byfield in northern Massachusetts. The group did not build church buildings but met in homes or schoolhouses and held regular outdoor revival meetings at which Osgood would preach. Osgood weighed more than three hundred pounds, and it was customary for him to preach with his eyes closed while seated in a large throne-like chair on an elevated platform in front of the congregation.
Osgood taught that anything that was established by man was the work of Satan, and this included man-made law. Thus, he taught his followers to withdraw from all influences of government. Members refused to vote, serve in the military, or pay taxes. Osgood preached frequently on the evils of the law courts, lawyers, judges, town meetings, medical doctors, and paid clergy. In 1819, as a result of some of his followers refusing to pay taxes, some Osgoodites were arrested and imprisoned; in 1820, Osgood himself was imprisoned in New Hampshire, where he began to write his autobiography and set out his teachings in detail. In 1823, while on a preaching trip, Osgood fell off his horse and was severely injured. He refused to seek medical care from a doctor and later claimed that he was healed by the laying on of hands of his fellow believers.
Osgood and his followers, which called themselves "The Saints", dressed in an old-fashioned manner and avoided spending time on personal grooming or other issues of appearance. The men and women in the group avoided cutting their hair and the male Osgoodites were usually identifiable by their unkept appearances.
Osgood fell ill in August 1844 and died on 29 November. After Osgood's death, Charles H. Colby and Nehemiah Ordway succeeded him as joint leaders of the Osgoodites. The Osgoodite movement continued until the 1880s, but by 1890 it had entirely disappeared from New Hampshire. Sally Grover, the last "Osgoodite" died September 5, 1897.Jewell Town District
The Jewell Town District of South Hampton, New Hampshire, encompasses a colonial-era industrial village with a history dating to 1687. It is centered at the junction of West Whitehall and Jewell Streets, which is just south of a bend in the Powwow River, the source of the power for the mills that were built here. The area was settled in 1687 by Thomas Jewell, and by the early 19th century included a variety of mills as well as a bog iron works. The district now includes only remnants of its industrial past, and features a collection of 18th and early-19th century residential architecture. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Jewell Towne Vineyards
Jewell Towne Vineyards is a winery in the state of New Hampshire. The property is located on the hills overlooking the Powwow River a few miles from the Atlantic Ocean. The property is the oldest currently producing winery in New Hampshire, and is seen as a leader in establishing northern New England cold hardy cultivars.Massachusetts Route 150
Route 150 is a short south–north highway entirely in Amesbury, Massachusetts. The highway is the main south-north thoroughfare in Amesbury, and serves as a southward continuation of New Hampshire Route 150, connecting Amesbury to the New Hampshire town of Kensington and ultimately, Exeter.Newton, New Hampshire
Newton is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 4,603 at the 2010 census.Phillips White
Phillips White (October 28, 1729– June 24, 1811) was an American farmer from South Hampton, New Hampshire. He was a delegate for New Hampshire to the Continental Congress in 1782 and 1783.
Phillips was born in 1729 at Haverhill, Massachusetts. As a young man he settled in New Hampshire, and made his home in South Hampton for most of his life. During much of the Revolution he was active politically. He represented Rockingham County on the state's Committee of Safety a number of times between 1776 and 1783. In September 1782, White was appointed as a delegate to the Continental Congress. He attended meetings from November of that year (when the new session started) until May 1783.
White died at home and is buried in the Old Cemetery of South Hampton.Samuel Cate Prescott
Samuel Cate Prescott (April 5, 1872 – March 19, 1962) was an American food scientist and microbiologist who was involved in the development of food safety, food science, public health, and industrial microbiology.Smith's Corner Historic District
The Smith's Corner Historic District is a historic district encompassing a historic 19th-century rural village center. Covering about 105.5 acres (42.7 ha), the district is centered on the junction of Main Avenue (New Hampshire Route 107A), South Road, and Chase Road in northwestern South Hampton, abutting its border with East Kingston. The village was important as a stagecoach stop. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.South Hampton
South Hampton may refer to:
South Hampton, New Hampshire, USA
South Hampton Roads, Virginia, USATown Center Historic District
The Town Center Historic District encompasses the historic village center of South Hampton, New Hampshire. Centered around the Barnard Green, the town common, on New Hampshire Route 107A, it includes architectural reminders of the town's growth and change over time. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Tuxbury Pond
Tuxbury Pond is a lake which straddles the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border, abutting the towns of Amesbury, Massachusetts and South Hampton, New Hampshire. It is located along the Powwow River. It has two islands in the middle, and a large summer camp resort lies along the Massachusetts shore.Woodman Road Historic District
The Woodman Road Historic District of South Hampton, New Hampshire, is a small rural residential historic district consisting of two houses on either side of Woodman Road, a short way north of the state line between New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The Cornwell House, on the west side of the road, is a Greek Revival wood frame house built c. 1850. Nearly opposite stands the c. 1830 Verge or Woodman House, which is known to have been used as a meeting place for a congregation of Free Will Baptists between 1830 and 1849.The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Places adjacent to South Hampton, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States